Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 116
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    heretic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Avatar by the_fennecfox
    Gender
    Male

    Default Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Master Jon Dringlam Jr.’s Chambers

    Master Dringlam’s chambers are a bit drafty today, a welcome respite to the heat of the summer night. On the north wall hangs an immense map of the realm, pierced in two dozen places by small daggers, each one marking some conquest or adventure. Rumor has it that the silver blades mark the defeat of demons, while iron is for victory over men. Five of the hilts are bejeweled—for bastards fathered on the road, they say—while four are broken. Friends who didn’t survive, if hearsay is to be believed.

    Master Dringlam waves you in, lifting a flagon of wine and filling four of Caras Held’s fine crystal cups. Barely waiting for you to take your cups, he lifts his own to his mouth, just below where his dark whiskers connect before sweeping down to his cheeks. Today he is dressed in a navy blue surcoat in the style of the Sindarean nobility, complete with a double row of brass buttons and matching trousers slashed with silver at the heel, the better to accent a pair of spurs (which he has opted against, thankfully).

    “Come, come.” He gestures toward the couch, which lies against the wall opposite the map. There are few other options—the center of the room is dominated by a huge pentagram etched in silvery powder, with half-spent candles marking each of the star’s points. It might have once been perfect, but the western side looks as though someone lit a broom on fire and tried to sweep away the lines. Blackened powders and cinders are smeared in a trail leading to the windows, one of which is now boarded over with planks. The other two are open to the night air.

    “Forgive the state of my office.” The incident occurred a week ago, but Master Dringlam has been tight-lipped with the students about what happened. “I have a bit of a sticky situation that we need you to take care of.” Clearing his throat, he quickly speaks again, perhaps trying to move your thoughts away from the obvious signs of summoning gone awry. “There’s a sorcerer cult we’d like you to pry out of a place they’re not supposed to be. His name is—well, the sorcerer himself—his name is Gambeak. He and some followers of his took up in an estate up north. Completely trashed it, to hear it told. Anyway, they’ve worn out their welcome and some of the Academy’s benefactors would like to see them moved along.”

    He glances back and forth, reading your expressions before continuing. “This Gambeak is actually a pretty dangerous magician, so we’ve taken precautions. Master Ahasshu has scried him a few times and he seems to have abandoned his followers up here. Totally forgotten them, she reckons. We’d like to see you lot nip up there and scoot the poor souls out of the estate. There may be one or two minor sorcerer apprentices to handle, which is why it’s a job for the Academy. How does that sound?”

    Alexandria

    The pentagram bears the proper markings for a protective circle spell, and inward-facing to contain something. Finer details elude you, but the context makes it obvious that it relates to a summoning or calling effect of some kind. He is Master of Conjuration, after all.

    Lucent

    The circle is the real thing, according to the texts on the subject you’ve scavenged. An inward-facing binding circle, drawn to support a Lesser Planar Binding. You’re not sure what for though.

    Perivold

    You got a good look at the summoning markings and it’s clearly an inner-facing circle meant to bind an extraplanar being. If the positioning of the candles is what you think it is (counter-spectral, beginning with violet), it looks like he tried to Lesser Planar Bind an immortal being of one of the air astrological signs—Gemini, Libra, Aquarius. Tried.


    Spoiler: OOC (All)
    Show
    This post reflects a Spellcraft check for each of you. I’m treating the pentagram as subject to this use of Spellcraft:

    20 + spell level Identify materials created or shaped by magic, such as noting that an iron wall is the result of a wall of iron spell.
    It’s not a perfect fit, but it’s good enough for our purposes, since I think the circle is “shaped” by the spells cast on it.

    Generally speaking, you are free to proactively make these types of rolls, but other times I will do so as an incident to narration.
    DM: Academy Living
    Group A|Group B|OOC

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Picking up the offered glass, Perivold sniffs it lightly, and takes a polite sip from it before lounging down on the couch, left leg over right knee. Glancing down at the circle, he begins speaking softly as though to himself, "Counter-spectral, violet to begin... Master Dringlam, my memory fails me, is that the order for Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius?" He looks up smiling as though he had forgotten why he was there. "Excuse me, of course driving away the cultists sounds like fine business for the Academy. Perchance, has the Academy inquired about the layout of the estate?" Continuing to sip at his wine, Perivold looks too Master Dringlam.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Tara walked through the door with the others. She was tense. It was an irrational fear; there was no way Dringlam knew. The presence of the others reinforced that. More than likely, this was some special assignment.

    Still, she feared.

    As Dringlam spoke, however, Tara began to relax. She was safe. She began to scan her three companions. Lucent and Alexandria she knew passably well; one she sparred fairly frequently with on the sparring grounds and the other was some kind of... Prior mageskarl turned student? Regardless, both were people she knew she could work with. Hopefully, the third would prove just as amenable.

    "Counter-spectral, violet to begin... Master Dringlam, my memory fails me, is that the order for Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius?"

    As the words left Perivold's mouth, Tara couldn't help but roll her eyes. God damn, that smug smile. Despite her short time at the academy, Tara had met several students exactly like this one. Smarmy know-it-alls who thought that their huge vocabulary and roundabout way of speech made them so much better than everybody else. She kept in a groan before returning her attention to Dringlam.

    This was gonna be a long assignment.
    Last edited by Mousedigits; 2019-01-30 at 01:29 AM.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    The mageskarl by the door is dressed fairly well, and carries himself with just a hint of pride.

    Lucent looks to the others, wondering what they thought of this. "If I may sir, do you have any information on the nature and number of the cultists? Even untrained vagabonds with rusty daggers can be a severe threat in a mob."

    Spoiler: Lucent's Semi Official pic
    Show
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-01-30 at 10:25 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Paramour Pink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    tomorrow-yesterday

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Alexandria sat not in the couch proper, but instead half lent on the right plush arm fabric. The cup was accepted without an ounce of complaint. She only wordlessly warned the Pisces girl trapped in the cup to drink little or less. It was only Perivold's first sip that inspired her to keep appearances. She gingerly feigned placing the cup to delicate lips, titling just gently enough that the uncritical would mistake it for a taste. The nobleman led the way with good observations on the pentagram, and a fair question about the estate layout. Lucent asked after their nature and numbers. Still, she flinched once at both for one word: cultists.

    Tara quietly observed.

    It sounds a fitting opportunity,” Alexandria agreed with both nobleman, coolly, her every Sindarean word purposefully enunciated succinctly. “Thank you for thinking of us in this important matter, Master Dringlam. But I'm afraid the heat has slowed me some.” She fanned herself lazily with her free hand, as though to prove it. “Please, do confirm the obvious for me. That the Academy wisely wishes to keep our benefactors happy? That we need only permanently escort those lost people off the estate? That our benefactors respect our good institution enough to expect nuanced answers and clear results?

    Alexandria gripped the neck of the cup with a firm gentility between thumb and index, making the red liquid swirl counter-clockwise to her liking. The broken blades rammed into the map made her wonder forlornly at the rumours, and about how many of the people in that ruined estate knew it for a dead end. Cults built around the ferocious pull of sorcerous charms came and wilt, and the forgotten that followed along behind them throughout history were a lost legion. She shook her head at the musings, fighting off a frown. Her attention was summoned once again when the Master of Conjuration replied.

    Spoiler: side note and Knowledge: Local / Arcana on the problem
    Show
    I wrote a longer post, but I think it's too dialogue heavy. Better if I break it into two. I'll attempt at obvious (?) diplomacy request next post.

    Take 10 on Knowledge: Local – Result 15. I'm mostly interested in the Apprentice(s), do I know anything about them? If not, anything about Gambeak and what draws someone to him?

    Take 10 on Knowledge: Arcana – Result 19. Just because Sorcerers are called dragons colourfully, this is a blind hope it might give some details for the apprentices / Gambeak.

    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2019-01-31 at 05:36 PM. Reason: less thoughts, more actions
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    heretic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Avatar by the_fennecfox
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Master Dringlam takes a pull of wine instead of acknowledging Perivold’s musings. He turns to Lucent and Alexandria, eager to keep the conversation on the adventure.

    “Determining the exact number of cultists is a detail for you to handle.” He smiles, not unkindly. “Part of the service you’re providing is your improvisational skill. In this case, Gambeak’s whereabouts is the big-picture issue, so we’ve went ahead and scried him for you. All the rest of the stuff is details, which is what we rely on you for.” His smile falls for a moment. “If Gambeak does show up, you should withdraw immediately and report back. He’s well beyond your ability to handle. You’ll know him if you see him, because, uh . . . ” He gesticulates awkwardly at his nose, wineglass still in hand. “. . . he has a beak.”

    Taking a sip, his comfort returns. “But the sorcerer himself is not likely to show. Now regarding the cultists, it’s true they can be dangerous in numbers, so I would recommend that you try to finesse this one instead of bringing a battering ram or something.” He lifts a hand, fluttering his fingers as he searches for the phrase Alexandria just used. “Nuance. That’s the stuff. As for the benefactors, I might as well just tell you who that is. Gambeak’s cultists were buying the estate on a loan from the Church.” He doesn’t have to be more specific. The Church of the Taurus operates as a banking network across the realm.

    “The estate itself is the collateral, which they’d like back now that the cult isn’t paying. The Church is among our most prolific donors of late, so the Academy of course accepted their request for assistance.” He glances back to Lucent. “Now to the nuance part, it wouldn’t do for the Church or for us to slaughter every soul on the grounds. I trust you as the mageskarl here to keep everyone’s head level.”

    Alexandria

    You've heard the name Gambeak before, usually in the context of someone listing off a few famous sorcerers from the Sweetsea. However, nobody has ever provided any further detail on him or any apprentices.
    DM: Academy Living
    Group A|Group B|OOC

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Lucent nods, "Of course sir. We will approach this with all due caution."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Paramour Pink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    tomorrow-yesterday

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    No one could discern our renovations from theirs, if it came to that,” Alexandria spoke softly to herself on the note of violence, the scorched pentagram the enchanter had pointedly ignored throughout suddenly her fixation. It was Lucent's promise that brought her back to the present. She smiled for hearing how the conversation was developing away from the more clear cut approach.

    In the interest of our safety, minimising greater damage to the Taurus estate, and furthering our Academy with society in tow – why not help those people?” Alexandria glanced deliberately from the Master of Conjuration and the experienced Mageskarl in particular, as the only staff present.

    Dragons always abandon their whelps, doubt thrives in the absence of cult leaders, and among Gambeak's forgotten will be those that want to rejoin society. If we offer those people reintegration, it could reduce their fighting numbers and limit further damage. One way for just that is offers of apprenticeship, and employment, with a respectable organisation. Summarily: Mageskarlship.

    Alexandria strolled forward from her perch, and languidly arched her left arm up and out towards the map spanning the country before considering everyone in the room. “Its role runs near every Sindarean skillset range, and so has appeal. Not a panacea. Just a pitch. If none respond to it, Mithdiran Academy has lost nothing. We'll out-spell some and expel the rest.” She frowned. “As expected. Yet – winning away even one makes us all safer, and with more, grants our institution the starting template to help study and resolve a historical concern.

    A gracious nod was aimed at the professor. “A process to be postponed or refined at leisure of the Masters, of course, with any setbacks and successes put forward through various thesis and minstrels for Academy prestige.” She smiled again. “All with an incredible potential for societal good, if pursued and refined, with a very modest initial price of bolstering already crucial Mageskarl numbers.

    Alexandria confidently raised the barely touched goblet in a tentative toast then. “Is that nuanced enough, Master Dringlam?

    Spoiler: Diplomacy for Mageskarlery option
    Show


    Take 10 on Diplomacy if I can – Result 25 because we're talking in a Mastered language.

    I'm hoping to convince the Master that if we somehow convince at least SOME of them to give up their cause, some of them can get employed/trained as mageskarls, at the very least. It's not perfect, and might never happen, but it would be nice to have his official backing for the idea.

    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Lucent blinks, and glances at Alexandria briefly.

    Well now, that was an interesting option. Even if the offer was a lie... Normally it wouldn't seem prudent to simply walk up and address a group like this, but Alexandria seemed the sort to pull it off. If a bit of dissension amongst the ranks could be arranged beforehand, that would only improve the odds.

    Hmm, chances are there'd be one person in particular holding them together in Gambeak's absence. If they disappeared, a few days later the group would probably be ripe for such an offer. One man captured or killed, and the rest just might give up. About as bloodless a plan as could be expected if these people are as fanatical as it sounds.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Amused at the Master's avoidance of Perivold's questions, he is subsequently surprised by Alexandria's suggestion. "Surely you do not suggest that cultists have the appropriate disposition to serve as Mageskarls? Integrate them back into society, yes, but to entrust the lives of young Wizards to those whom would blindly follow a sorcerer seems foolish. I would not feel safe with a cultist watching my back." Smiling sweetly with a touch of sadness in his eyes towards Alexandria, "I know your heart is in the right place here, perhaps work as soldiers in the army, for those fit. And for those less so, I'm sure their must be farms in the area who could use a few extra hands." He looks too Master Dringlam.

    "And while I might be sympathetic to the plights of these poor souls, I cannot imagine that the rest of the nobility would feel the same."

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Paramour, I love Alexandria's suggestion. Perivold as a spoiled brat would not. Sorry

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Lucent speaks up once more, "It need not go that far sir. We should be able to offer them the opportunity without promising acceptance."

    "After all, I can attest to the choosing process being rather strict. If for whatever reason the disposition of those who take us up on the offer is unsuitable, they won't ever actually become a mageskarl, and will wash out like so many other potentials. But by that point they're out of the manor and our objective is accomplished."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Tara looked to Alexandria as she made her case. That was Alexandria for you: always seeing the best in people. It made sense that she would want to recruit the cultists.

    When Perivold voices his dissent, Tara glares at him. His fears were justified, if somewhat narrow-minded. but that didn't mean he had to be so condescending about it. For the first time since entering the room, Tara speaks.

    "Cultism is often symptom of a deeper problem: Desperation. A lot of these people are looking for a one-time solution to all of their problems; it's easy to convince someone to join a cult when they have nothing to lose and everything to gain." Tara knew this for a fact. On more than one occasion in her youth she'd been tempted to join the Cult of Sull-Presta, in the hopes that maybe the legendary sorcerer would somehow magic away her misfortunes. She, fortunately, had realized that there were better ways to solve your problems. Many people, however, never did.

    "I like Alexandria's idea. If we can harness that desperation and turn it into something the Academy can use, then all the better for us and them. Plus, it's nice to help someone out of a rough spot sometimes." Funny words, coming from a thief.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    heretic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Avatar by the_fennecfox
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    The bewhiskered Master of Conjuration listens to the discussion develop a bit before weighing in. “Well Alexandria, I’d say there are cultists and then there are cultists. Until we know who we’re dealing with, it’s hard to set aside Academy resources for their employment.” He looks to Perivold. “But this cuts both ways, Perivold—the cultists themselves might be long-lost sons of noble houses. We could be doing exactly what the aristocrats would want.” He glances off into space. “And in any case, we have magic and they mostly don’t, so I’m not overly concerned with their sensibilities.”

    He gestures to Lucent with his empty wineglass. “Now your mageskarl has a good point—what the cultists don’t know can’t hurt them. Maybe the possibility of finding coin and hearth in Caras Held will be enough to sway some of them away from their present predicament. If you lead them on a bit, I don’t mind being the ‘heavy’ and putting my foot down.” He shrugs. “And who knows, some of them might be good enough. In any case, getting them out at all is what’s best for them too. They can’t be happy sitting there, missing their precious leader. If Tara’s right and they joined out of desperation, they’re probably feeling more and more desperate every day. They might jump at the appearance of a way out.”
    DM: Academy Living
    Group A|Group B|OOC

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    "Regardless sir, I think the situation calls for a bit of quiet recon before we make our approach. Is there anything else we should be aware of? If not, I will begin seeing to needed gear."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Paramour Pink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    tomorrow-yesterday

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Alexandria's hand, extended in a toast, faltered at Perivold's first objection. It withdrew totally when the highest person in his entire department and most aquainted professor to interact with the mageskarls rebuked her. She held the wineglass to herself then, silent. Lucent spoke while she considered the drowning Pisces girl in the cup, her reflection sullen. The wizard woman swallowed down her disappointment and straightened herself a moment after.

    I can little tell cultists from misguided people – so I truly shouldn't be speaking of nuance.” She gave the room a self-depreciating smile. “Let alone ask to waste faculty resources on some overindulgent wish. My apologies, Master Dringlam. Thank you for the offer of personally helping settle any ideas we should give them, though.

    Alexandria shrugged. “Let's speak to more practical answers, as good Lucent suggested. Are we on a tight time schedule? Do our investors prefer we keep this matter in house and private? I'm thinking leverage.” The adolescent was swirling her cup again, although slower than before. “There might be other star-aligned churches that take exception to cultists. Those people don't sound ideal neighbours. Perhaps those nearby have knowledge about the who and how many we're trying to contend with at the least.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Perivold, noticing Tara's glare, smiles back with the brightest, widest, fakest smile ever seen. Commoners could never understand the measures the nobility would go too to keep them safe from themselves. Though I suppose I will never understand what it is that makes the peasantry act as they do.

    Grimicing at Master Dringlam's comment, he thinks too himself, No noble worth their title would get caught up in cultism.

    Out loud, "Of course Master, as you see fit. Do we have a writ of eviction to provide legal weight to our actions?" Turning too the others, "And when shall we leave? Today? Should we go prepare our horses?"

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    heretic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Avatar by the_fennecfox
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Master Dringlam waves a hand at Alexandria. “No need to apologize, miss. It’s always good to throw some ideas out. All part of learning.” He returns his wine glass to the small table and rubs his nose. “There’s no timeline, though I expect the Church would prefer a swifter resolution. Regarding writs of eviction, those are only required when the King has decreed that land be stripped from a particular vassal. Here, the law empowers the Church or its agents—that’s you, in this case—to enter and eject the squatters, no papers necessary. I doubt there will be any dispute as to your authority.”

    He tilts his head to the side, then corrects himself. “Well, I should say there won’t be any dispute that a paper would solve. These sorcerer types are not known for their respect for legalisms and writs.” Glancing out the window, he suddenly seems to notice the time. “Ah, you will have to excuse me. I’m afraid I don’t know anything more about the reconnaissance and so forth. You’ll just have to handle that yourselves.”

    He walks over to the map hanging on his wall and taps a point perhaps five-and-forty miles due north, just off the Saltroad, a major highway running parallel to the coast. “Here’s the location of the estate. It’s called Goldengrove.” He turns back, anxious to collect his cups and shoo you from the office. And not without good reason—waiting just outside his office is Headmaster Dringlam, his namesake and father.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I imagine you'll have a bit of IC discussion in the hall regarding planning, some OOC shopping, and then we can cut-scene to tomorrow morning? The road north is a x1 movement modifier, so it's fast going. Alternatively, there are shore-fisherman that you could try to catch a ride with (probably around 1.5-2 sp/mile per person, since it's not port-to-port travel). They can make 24 miles a day, which may or may not be faster than walking, depending on what you choose for mount and load options. The risks are also slightly different—bandits are rare, but more common than pirates, but there are some weather risks associated with boat travel. You would have to separately negotiate the return trip, if desired, since it's not a natural stopping place.
    DM: Academy Living
    Group A|Group B|OOC

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Tara continues to glare at Perivold for a bit before turning her attention back to Dringlam Jr. Though she liked Alexandria's idea, she had to admit that Dringlam -and even Perivold, annoying as he was- had good points.

    As Dringlam notes the Goldengrove on the map, Tara begins thinking about preparations. I'll need to bring my spellbook, my bedroll, food... Crap, I'm gonna need a mule to carry all that. After all, while she may be strong by Wizard standards, that's not saying much.

    After being shooed out of Dringlam's office, Tara turns to the others. "Well, I suppose now we need to choose a means of transport. Unfortunately, I doubt any of us has the power or skill required to teleport us." She looks at Perivold. "That is, unless one of us has learned how to convert ego into magical energy. I say we buy a few horses or mules and ride up the trail."
    Last edited by Mousedigits; 2019-02-06 at 11:07 PM.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Lucent says, "I have enough funds on hand to buy a simple cart and a mule or two. It won't save us from having to make a long walk, but at least we won't have to carry the bulk of our gear. If we can pool funds for a proper wagon, well, that'd be slower than each of us having a horse, but we wouldn't need to walk the whole way."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mule+cart=23 gp
    Mule+riding saddle=18 gp
    Horse+riding saddle=85 gp
    2 horses+wagon=185 gp

    Its all a question of what we can afford.

    I have 36 gp to spare. Where is everyone else in that regard?
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Bowing slightly to Master Dringlam Jr, Perivold bows deeply as he passes Master Dringlam Sr on his way out.

    As they gather outside of the office, Perivold smiles gently too Tara, "Unfortunately no one I know has been working on converting ego to magical energy. I've heard that their are some forms of the Weave that reward pleasantness, perhaps if you were more polite you might find a hidden talent." Turning too Lucent, Perivold asks, "Does everyone not have their own horses? Unfortunate, though I am not sure that Shalan'ir would be agreeable with pulling a wagon, and my stipend is fairly tight." Looking over the group, "Do we wish to leave today or tomorrow morning? There are a few tasks I would like to perform if I have the time, but I will defer to the group as they are not urgent."

    Once a decision has been made, Perivold will turn to Alexandria, "Have you seen any books on the various patterns associated with the gods in the library? I'll be damned but I cannot for the life of me remember which of the 3 Air signs the candle pattern signified."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I do have funds, however I have some shopping to do as if I rely on my blade and my spell slots and we get into a fight, I suspect I won't be particularly effective after the second round. Also, I already spent gold on a horse and Perivold has no issues with taking a few days too get too the estate.

    Spoiler: Knowledge Checks
    Show
    Master DM, I have some knowledge checks I would like to make.
    Knowledge Local (+5), History (+6) or Nobility and Royalty (+6) whichever is more relevant, to see if I know anything about the Goldengrove estate.
    Knowledge Geography (+6) to see what I know about the route, or any alternative routes, too our destination.
    For things like this, would you prefer if I rolled myself, or should I just let you know what checks I would like to make so that I (and others) don't know how well/badly the roll went?

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Paramour Pink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    tomorrow-yesterday

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    The student enchantress bid her best goodbyes to the headmaster and his son as she exited the room with her friends. “The both of you might well be unto something.” Alexandria noted of the other two student wizards, seemingly as an aside.

    Sorcerers and singers are oft hypothesised to utilise hopes and joys and fears to fuel their spell-casting. It's true the theory is in disrepair now. Still, if we managed to successfully transmute pride or politeness into a vehicle for Weave manifestation, in a manner repeatable and consistent, society would owe you both the greatest thanks. It would make magic much more accessible. Standards of living would rise within a year of the discovery.

    Alexandria appeared wistful a moment before continuing. “Really, your wit, Perivold, Tara, might well proof a bigger boon than anyone would suspect. Reviving or repelling the whole notion has different advantages. If you two ever cared to test the idea when we have a firmer grasp on our schools of thought, I'd be happy to assist.

    Lucent spoke of preparations to make the journey – he had decided in his experience that to make way by land was preferable. Alexandria smiled at the second nature of it and spoke nothing of the sea trip she had idly considered when the master conjurer had pinpointed the estate.

    I have savings tucked aside. If you think investing in a wagon is wisest, Lucent, then covering most of the expense would be my pleasure. Especially as Shalan'ir is too fine a steed to be a mere beast of burden.” She nodded over at the noble. He asked after air signs, and with ease ignored that she hadn't discerned half as much as he had for the pentagram.

    I was curious myself,” Alexandria answered, her expression unblemished for the lie. “Theology is more passing interest than passion to me – shall we look into it after the journey? Or should we take a glance in the library for reading material during?
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Lucent blinks and looks around, "I'm the only one here without a horse aren't I? Last couple of times I've headed out transport was provided, it figures my luck would run out in that regard right as I'm low on funds."

    "In any case, no need for a wagon in that case I think, I'll just pick up a mule to ride and keep up as I can for now."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Tara rolled her eyes at Perivold's retort. Perhaps he should take his own advice. He has the politeness down -the form of it that manifests in noblemen, at least- but definitely not the pleasantness.

    She again rolls her eyes, though far less violently, at Alexandria's comment. She couldn't tell if Alexandria just didn't get the sarcasm, or was simply playing dumb at Tara and Perivold's expense. Tara suspected the latter.

    "Don't worry Lucent, you're not the only one without a horse. Neither do I. That'll change by tomorrow, though, hopefully." After all, how much could a horse cost? Forty gold should be more than enough to get a magnificent stallion. Or maybe a warhorse.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Tara has 38.5 gold to her name. She is in for a rude awakening when she discovers just how much a horse costs.
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    heretic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Avatar by the_fennecfox
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    The Headmaster smiles courteously as he passes you to step into his son’s office. Each of the schools of magic is hosted in one of the great towers of the Academy, with the relevant master’s office at the top of the tower. As such, Master Dringlam’s office opens into a spiraling staircase that takes you down a couple floors. You pass a few doors to storerooms labeled “No Entry” on the way, as well as the offices of the other conjuration professors. After that, the tower widens and deposits you in the Conjuration common-room.

    It’s a large, circular room furnished with several broad, circular tables of colored stone—artifacts from planes unknown. Huge tapestries detailing various geometric objects hang from the walls. There are a few students sitting at the tables, bent over their books, working by the light of the several dozen glowing orbs of light that float lazily near the ceiling. Your conversation is low enough not to disturb them, and only a couple students glance up.

    Perivold

    Goldengrove is a somewhat storied estate that you recall from some of your classical education. Centuries ago, they logged the forest there, floating the lumber down the coast to the furnaces of Caras Held. Goldengrove, or Mallentawar in the old language, was an estate founded on the cleared land, known for its great apple-orchards and berries.

    Alexandria helpfully points out that in the northern dialect of Old Sindarean, this would have been Mallent’aur, which helps you connect it to an old poem you once read. The poet wrote that he traveled north to “fill my master’s jars with the bounty of Mallent’aur,” but he “plucked the forbidden fruit” at a nearby village and was forced to turn back without ever examining Mallent’aur’s harvest. If memory serves, the master was most displeased with the empty jars, but the poet was unconcerned, convinced as he was that the “ripe-bellied lass” he eloped with was sweeter than any fruits of Mallent’aur. Since the poet traveled from Caras Held, this village should be along the path to Goldengrove. You don’t recall much about which family held Goldengrove, but they can’t have been very successful if the Church ended up owning it and leasing it to a cult. The road north is otherwise unremarkable. It runs along the coast to the north, passing through some farmland and then empty plains. There’s a couple roadside shrines, as well as a branch of road leading to a lighthouse on the ocean.

    Tara

    Later, at the stable . . .

    Unfortunately, you find that your funds won’t purchase a horse. The stablemaster does offer you a mule for eight gold crowns, but you’ll have to drive him hard to keep up with horses.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If the group goes with horses carrying medium loads, that’s 40 feet movement to a mule’s 30. I’ll say you can make up difference with three Forced March checks, each of which would also require a Ride check at the same DC. So that would be a DC 10 check (your Ride and then the Mule’s Constitution (has Endurance feat)) followed by DC 12 and DC 14 checks (same). It won’t win you any animal rights awards, but it would get the job done.
    DM: Academy Living
    Group A|Group B|OOC

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Lucent checks the girth of his saddle, running his fingers in between it and the belly of the mule he'd purchased to check how tight it is, and if there are any rough spots likely to hurt the animal in the long run. Loading up the little gear he does not wish to carry on his person into the saddlebags, he leads the animal out of the stables to meet the others.

    The mageskarl sighs a little as he sees the fine horses owned by the others. He'd always found it best not to be too humble, or else others valued him less, even if his contributions remained the same. A certain level of outward pride was therefore needed. Not too much of course, lest he be thought of as forgetting his place. It could be a fine line to walk, but he'd learned how to manage with time. Unfortunately, trailing behind the wizards on a mule definitely wouldn't help in that regard.

    "Is everyone certain they have what is needed? It will likely be difficult and expensive to obtain replacements for anything missing while on the road."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We aren't in a hurry, so in the absence of a specific deadline, I suggest not messing with the forced marches, and just travel as if the horses were restricted to 30' base movement as well. In any case, if we encounter something that has us running, we'll want fresh mounts for that, rather than ones that have already been overworked.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    With a loud laugh, Perivold smiles at Alexandria's (he thinks) joke, "You have a wit of gold, surely that is a magic of its own."

    Pausing and looking to the ceiling as he speaks, Perivold reflects upon what he knows of Goldengrove, "Goldengrove... I've heard that... Mallentawar? Ah yes, thank you Alexandria, Mallent'aur... I do believe the town of Caras Held should be on our path", Perivold will then assume that everyone is just as interested in history as he is and tell the tale of the poet and the fruits of Mallent'aur, with absolutely no embellishment, or style. For Perivold of House Varindren is no story teller.

    Completely missing his companions bored looks, "Anyways, perhaps if our journey is too long for one day, and Caras Held is far enough along the road we might have the pleasure of a warm hearth as we sleep."

    "Yes, a trip to the library afterwards is the cure. Perhaps we can figure out how to replicate a lesser version of what Master Dringlam was doing. Wouldn't that be exciting, perhaps we could even help him as it would seem it did not go quite according to his plan!"

    After agreeing upon a time to leave, Perivold will head out too the market. Browsing around, he will discover that none of the wands he is interested in are quite in his price range, and quickly head towards the scroll sellers. Having found his quarry, he will then seek out a seller of sturdy walking sticks, and purchase one that looks like it would survive being swung at a head.

    Arriving twenty minutes late to the agreed meet-up, Perivold guides a jet-black horse out of the stables, fully prepared for riding and packed. "This is Shalan'ir, a gift from my father when I was a child. His name is an honorific, used by an ancient tribe, meaning Wise One." Perivold runs his hand through Shalan'ir's mane fondly. "Shall we go?"

    Spoiler: Shopping!
    Show

    Perivold would like to purchase:
    Scroll of Sleep 25g
    Scroll of Cause Fear 25g
    2x Scroll of Ray of Enfeeblement 2 x 25g
    Scroll of Mage Armor 25g

    As for the Quarterstaff, I know they are listed as free, but since Perivold is not likely to be able to make one himself (and infact went out to purchase one) I'd like a gold value assigned for him to have paid. As a noble, he would have avoided haggling, and would have paid up to 10g if it were also in some way fashionable.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Setting up for learning Summon Monster at next level :D (yes, I know the Masters spell was likely Plannar Binding, yes I know that is way too high a level spell for us right now)
    Last edited by Renegado; 2019-02-11 at 06:18 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mousedigits's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Probably some computer.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Tara trots up on her trusty mule, somehow seeming even shorter than standing. Seventy-five gold for a stupid horse? Who would pay seventy-five gold for a horse? She rides up next to Lucent. "Ah, another member of the disappointing mount club."

    And there she waited. And waited. And waited. Where was the rich kid? Oh. There he is. Fitting he would be late. As Perivold trots up, Tara can't help but be slightly amazed at the stallion he rides in on. That was a horse she might consider spending 75 gold for.

    "That's cool. This," she says as she pats her mule, "is Jim, a purchase from the stables over yonder. His name has its roots in modern Siderean, and means 'let's get out of here already, we're already 20 minutes late.'"

    Spoiler: Purchases!
    Show

    Mule-8gp
    Riding Saddle-10gp
    Saddlebags-4gp


    Spoiler: What is packed on Jim?
    Show

    Bedroll
    Soap
    Small Mirror
    Faux Spellbook
    Waterskin
    Flint/Steel
    Extended Signature
    .

    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

    Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

    Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

    Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Paramour Pink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    tomorrow-yesterday

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Wouldn't wish to keep our Goldengrove friends waiting.

    Alexandria grinned at Tara, already atop a richly chestnut covered Criollo, the animal all doe eyes to match its muscle and calm. An undisguised look of admiration was given to the midnight stallion and the handsome contrast of mount and rider when they finally arrived. The student-enchanter thought better of commenting, after glancing surreptitiously back at the mules. They were all bound to be slowed by them. She cleared her throat.

    Although, I'm truly not the most skilful rider you'll find, and it might serve us well to better take in the same path we'll use to return. Nor was Master Dringlam particularly concerned with time.” Unable to think of greater excuses to help the mule riders safe face, she inexpertly adjusted the leather strap of the empty crossbow slung over her shoulder. “Would a more leisurely pace suit us?
    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2019-02-12 at 09:17 PM.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    heretic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Avatar by the_fennecfox
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    The streets are just awakening as you ride toward the north gate. It’s a long go of it, requiring you to pass over the Clambridge onto the lagoon island. From there, the winding, cramped streets lead you through the morning rush of workers, the fumes of the glass-furnaces, and the perilously tilted shops. Unlike most Sindarean architecture, the buildings on the island are sickly-looking, unsound things. They lean like drunken wastrels, ready to puke their inhabitants out through peeling window-frame lips. Everything is sinking, and not all at the same speed. Better to knock them down than repair. A marred glass goes back to the furnace, and so too with the buildings themselves.

    After navigating the streets without issue, you gain the High Bridge, raising you in a pleasant arch away from the filth of the island. The lamplighters are out, cleaning the many lanterns that mark the distance on the bridge. A couple of them knuckle their foreheads reflexively when Perivold and Alexandria pass by. Apparently fine horses command a certain respect.

    The north bank contains the Old City, a more dignified locale than either the island or the southern bank. Here, the doors to most homes are guarded by unique sculpted heroes or monsters. Some show the sign of the family’s patron god, painted on the door or inlaid into stained glass. Those on the streets move with a bit more leisure, and some are attended by a valet. Soon enough, you find yourselves at the northern gate, which is open for entry and exit. A pair of guards salute, their scale armor glinting in the sun.

    The road is well-paved, and tended by a trio of streetsweepers. Hedges line the first hundred yards, pleasantly badged with white blossoms. After that, they diminish to mere nubs before surrendering to the yellow grass that covers the countryside. The sun beats down as you ride. At least you're ahorse (or a-mule), rather than working up more of a sweat on foot.

    Upon the road, you find a number of travelers, all moving south toward Caras Held. Here, there’s the caravan of six farmers leading four carts full of grain. There, a cowled rider on a bay charger. A sword is visible on their hip. Last of all comes a fool, his yellow and green motley slowly succumbing to the wet pits beneath his arms. He wears floppy hat with a bell on the tip, and drags little brass horns from his ankles, each fitted to a bladder for stomping.

    As dusk begins to fall, there’s no inn to be seen. There is some light from a few farmhouses perhaps a mile away each, and a high-up glimmer signals the presence of a lighthouse on the coast.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As I mentioned with the other group, I like to do travel montages where you can choose to pick out one or two things to interact with and we can run them all in parallel. Just be sure to mark clearly when you're switching from one scene to another. As long as nothing escalates massively, it should all work out.

    Paramour Pink, I think you're good enough on equipment for us to progress, although I am assuming you have a spellbook, ammunition, and as much food as the person with the least food in the group. If you can find the time IRL to add in more stuff, please do. However, I think I'll cut off the retroactive shopping as soon as the group hits an encounter, the better to prevent metagame shopping.
    DM: Academy Living
    Group A|Group B|OOC

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group B

    Lucent looks at the latecomer askance, but does not say anything to him. "A steady pace should do fine Miss alexandria. After all, if there is trouble, we'll want the mounts to be fresh. Lets get moving though. We may not be in a great hurry, but it wouldn't do to truly dawdle either."

    As they get moving, he tries to bring up the topic of the mission. "Any thoughts on our initial approach? A lot will of course depend on what we find, but we can likely plan for a couple of scenarios in advance."

    "Chances are, if this beaked sorcerer of theirs has been gone for a notable amount of time, they have an interim leader. Getting to them will likely be important. It may even be prudent to remove them before hand by one means or another."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •