New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1154 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Okay, so can it affect Force users by itself?
    Nah, I'd say that anything untrained is probably the force user's unconscious or subconscious control of it.
    It's a weird kind of movie, it seems to want to focus on the lives of the aristocrats and yet still use a famously ahistorical quote to characterize the Queen.
    Yeah, it was kind of forced by my just wanting to use the cake eating metaphor. Which, bytheway, is still accurate. Again, take the Force away from the Jedi, and they're severely crippled. It takes them time to get back normal function again. All because they've been using it since infancy. They do not know a world without being able to use the Force, so their thoughts on it do not in any way necessarily translate to universal truth any more than a noble who has never known hunger has thoughts on cake and the commoners.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nah, I'd say that anything untrained is probably the force user's unconscious or subconscious control of it.
    How can you know better than them what's happening in their own mind?

Yeah, it was kind of forced by my just wanting to use the cake eating metaphor. Which, bytheway, is still accurate. Again, take the Force away from the Jedi, and they're severely crippled. It takes them time to get back normal function again. All because they've been using it since infancy. They do not know a world without being able to use the Force, so their thoughts on it do not in any way necessarily translate to universal truth any more than a noble who has never known hunger has thoughts on cake and the commoners.
    But that's not a argument the movies make. Everybody who contradicts the Jedi about the Nature of the Force is proven wrong, so the movies support the Jedi thesis, and given that the movies are not random windows into an alternate objective reality but narratives crafted by a couple people, that means that what they are telling us is the truth of that universe.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #843

How can you know better than them what's happening in their own mind?
    Because I read a lot of the EU, and I'm pulling from there. This isn't an original theory, ya know.
    But that's not a argument the movies make. Everybody who contradicts the Jedi about the Nature of the Force is proven wrong, so the movies support the Jedi thesis, and given that the movies are not random windows into an alternate objective reality but narratives crafted by a couple people, that means that what they are telling us is the truth of that universe.
    By this argument, the Jedi themselves are proven wrong by being wiped out. Not to mention the movies are not treatises on the mechanisms of the Force (at least, not the OT; the PT does go into that, and that's the one where the Jedi fall hard, so I'd say it does not support your position very well).

Also, quick question, who talks about the will of the Force? Vader doesn't. The Emperor doesn't. They talk about destiny, but they're clearly talking about making their own destinies and other people following in their paths. Kenobi and Yoda don't really seem to, at least not in OT or ST. I only remember it from EU novels and maybe the PT, I can't quite remember. Please remind me - who, exactly, is advocating the Nature of the Force? (no sarcasm meant here, I just want us to be on the same page about who is being proven wrong and all)

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Because I read a lot of the EU, and I'm pulling from there. This isn't an original theory, ya know.
    The old EU is a self-contradictory mess and in a few years the new one will be as well. I consider the movies as far more authoritative than it is.

By this argument, the Jedi themselves are proven wrong by being wiped out. Not to mention the movies are not treatises on the mechanisms of the Force (at least, not the OT; the PT does go into that, and that's the one where the Jedi fall hard, so I'd say it does not support your position very well).
    No, they are proven wrong on their understanding of what the Force wants, not in that it wants something.

Also, quick question, who talks about the will of the Force? Vader doesn't. The Emperor doesn't. They talk about destiny, but they're clearly talking about making their own destinies and other people following in their paths. Kenobi and Yoda don't really seem to, at least not in OT or ST. I only remember it from EU novels and maybe the PT, I can't quite remember. Please remind me - who, exactly, is advocating the Nature of the Force? (no sarcasm meant here, I just want us to be on the same page about who is being proven wrong and all)
    Obi-Wan tells Luke the Force partially controls his action here.
    There's also Yoda calling the Force his ally (though he might be poetic).
    A,d every Jedi wishing somebody that the Force be with them.
    Forum Wisdom

5. - Top - End - #845

No, they are proven wrong on their understanding of what the Force wants, not in that it wants something.
    I must have missed that. Are you referring to the prophecy? Because that doesn't seem like the Force wanting anything, and I don't know anything else that would fit.
    Obi-Wan tells Luke the Force partially controls his action here.
    Controls his actions, but also obeys his commands. In the scope of the whole series, sounds like it's just the precognition and reflex feature of Jedi powers.
    There's also Yoda calling the Force his ally (though he might be poetic).
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine (yeah, I'm putting that down to poetic).
    A,d every Jedi wishing somebody that the Force be with them.
    Again, rich people telling poor people to make sure to eat their cake.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

I must have missed that. Are you referring to the prophecy? Because that doesn't seem like the Force wanting anything, and I don't know anything else that would fit.
    Yes the prophecy. And the going to war thing. Basically it's like the difference between two denomination of a single religion. They disagree on what their deity wantes them to do and, assuming the deity is real, one will be proven wrong but that doesn't mean the core concept (here the deity) was wrong.

Controls his actions, but also obeys his commands. In the scope of the whole series, sounds like it's just the precognition and reflex feature of Jedi powers.
    Not really, if somebody has a premonition they're not controlled.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine (yeah, I'm putting that down to poetic).
    Fair enough, maggot.

I've already answered that, if a movie offers one thesis and never contradicts it then it supports it, and if this movie concerns itself solely with a fictionnal universe then you have to accept what the movie supports as the truth of that universe.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ettin in the Playground

You know I kind of wonder what someone who would know the prequel only through the memes would think the movies are about.
    Mostly they're about a trap.

8. - Top - End - #848

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Mostly they're about a trap.
    That's the OT, heathen!

Oh, and to answer the question, probably a whole trilogy about a guy named Kenobi greeting people.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-06 at 06:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't think I've encountered that meme.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Banned

In all fairness, the poor make all the cake, and the bread, and could in principle decide to keep it for themselves rather than turning it over to its owners.

Where this fits into the analogy to the Force, I don't know. Probably something along the lines of "the Force does not belong to the Jedi."

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

That's the OT, heathen!

Oh, and to answer the question, probably a whole trilogy about a guy named Kenobi greeting people.
    It's not my fault the meme surfaced around the time the prequels were in theaters.

Anyway, with that information in mind, to my knowledge the prequels are about an annoying kid who turns into a personality-free teenager, and also some guy declaring "Begun this Clone War has."

12. - Top - End - #852
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It's a recent one. It also involves Grievous.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Spoiler: Meme
    Show

Spoiler: Variant I just found about
    Show
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-02-06 at 06:42 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Interesting. Is a given human stronger in the force when they have an iron deficiency than they are when their iron levels are normal? What about sodium? Potassium? Calcium?
    Midochlorian. That's canon.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #855

Yes the prophecy. And the going to war thing. Basically it's like the difference between two denomination of a single religion. They disagree on what their deity wantes them to do and, assuming the deity is real, one will be proven wrong but that doesn't mean the core concept (here the deity) was wrong.
    The prophecy thing I hate in general since it's bad writing, nothing indicated prophecies in this universe (and in fact everything indicated that prophecies would not work. Always in motion, is the future. Unless there's a prophecy, I guess), but even then there was nothing that related the prophecy to the will of the Force. Hell, take that aside I just threw in and the prophecy actively goes against the will of the Force, since the Force just shows possible futures and cannot show a definitive one while the prophecy is a definitive future.
    Not really, if somebody has a premonition they're not controlled.
    So the Marvel universe has a Will of the Spider? I wonder what it wants. More bugs?
    I've already answered that, if a movie offers one thesis and never contradicts it then it supports it, and if this movie concerns itself solely with a fictionnal universe then you have to accept what the movie supports as the truth of that universe.
    You say it's supported. I have yet to witness that, and in fact have only ever seen normal people getting by on normal means. Ain't no all powerful field controls Han's destiny, and that's stayed pretty much true.
    In all fairness, the poor make all the cake, and the bread, and could in principle decide to keep it for themselves rather than turning it over to its owners.

Where this fits into the analogy to the Force, I don't know. Probably something along the lines of "the Force does not belong to the Jedi."
    I'm equating the rich not knowing a world without cake to the Jedi not knowing a world without the Force pervading their lives.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

or the will of the Force sucks for, like, all but a few dozen people.

You'll forgive me for not believing the second one. For a great many reasons.
    I'd take a look at the other side of the bookshelf, at a literary convention used by some writers that is calle by some "the Mary Sue." The Force seems to find its way into Mary Sues with some frequency.
    In the case of George L, I'd say the shoe fits.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-02-06 at 06:55 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

The prophecy thing I hate in general since it's bad writing
    Oh definitely, where was Lucas even going with this? But it's still canon.
    nothing indicated prophecies in this universe (and in fact everything indicated that prophecies would not work. Always in motion, is the future. Unless there's a prophecy, I guess), but even then there was nothing that related the prophecy to the will of the Force.
    Heh, if you're feeling generous you could say that it's Yoda dispensing t=some hard-earned wisdom.
    "Prophecies aren't all what they're cracked up to be, kid. Believe me I know, if it wasn't for that nonsense I'd still have a temple you know. And colleagues. And pre-processed food. By the Force, miss those I do."
    Hell, take that aside I just threw in and the prophecy actively goes against the will of the Force, since the Force just shows possible futures and cannot show a definitive one while the prophecy is a definitive future.
    That's a way to interpret it. I understand it as "predictions are just contextless flashes so what you are understanding of what you are seeing may not be what will actually happen". Simply because "prophecies aren't actually prophecies but stuff that may or may not happen" just grinds my gears.

So the Marvel universe has a Will of the Spider? I wonder what it wants. More bugs?
    Maybe? I don't know, I don't read american superhero comic books much, but from what I gather that wouldn't be in the top 10 weirdest things out there.

You say it's supported. I have yet to witness that, and in fact have only ever seen normal people getting by on normal means. Ain't no all powerful field controls Han's destiny, and that's stayed pretty much true.
    Yeah, it's supported since the only two people in the OT who disagree with the Jedi on the nature of the Force are proven wrong within the films themselves. I don't know what more to tell you.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #858
    Colossus in the Playground

Thanks .

19. - Top - End - #859
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Hey, I hate to derail a good Star Wars thread, but we seem to be taking about the prequels, so... I’m not derailing a good Star Wars thread.

So, anyone else notice that Durkon seems to be taking charge in this strip? Does Roy look perturbed to you?

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Hey, I hate to derail a good Star Wars thread, but we seem to be taking about the prequels, so... I’m not derailing a good Star Wars thread.

So, anyone else notice that Durkon seems to be taking charge in this strip? Does Roy look perturbed to you?
    Now that you lention it he seems a bit perplexed yes by Durkon's take-charge attitude. Character development yeah!

I hope this new more assertive Durkon is half as good as Durkon* was for coming up with plans on the fly.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-02-06 at 07:28 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #861
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay thank you for the explanation.

Thank you as well, especially for calling it "american football".
    I had a job overseas for a time. Rubbed elbows with a number of Brits and other Europeans who were familiar with Soccer and took care to use the Term 'American Football' where appropriate.

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    I had a job overseas for a time. Rubbed elbows with a number of Brits and other Europeans who were familiar with Soccer
    The Brits better be, they invented the word!

23. - Top - End - #863

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yeep!

Where has THAT been all this time. Oh, right there. Right, right. I wasn't thinking.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

24. - Top - End - #864

The obvious answer is you watched it wrong. Perhaps you didn't see the laser swords? Or space wizards? Because it has space wizards wielding laser swords.

ETA: Also, see Eric Foreman.
    This one made me laugh. Good line :-)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

25. - Top - End - #865

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Taking charge indeed. Good pun. Electrifying

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    Taking charge indeed. Good pun. Electrifying
    This moment does have a lot of intensity to it.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #867
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

You could say it's reminiscent of the Immigrant Song scene from Thor: Ragnarok😁
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's like, a secret to everybody or whatever.

28. - Top - End - #868

Some people argued that THIS is the holy message TLJ gloriously delivered.

I guess TLJ is like reading in the remains of coffee: you can see in it everything you want.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Verappo View Post
    You could say it's reminiscent of the Immigrant Song scene from Thor: Ragnarok😁
    I must say i'm trully shocked with all the puns zapping around here without resistance.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

30. - Top - End - #870

Yeah, Durkon really seems amped up.