New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Huh, I did not know forcecage was so expensive.

2. - Top - End - #302

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Most upper-grade spells have expensive components.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I'm sure this was all discussed a long time ago, but I'm a little late to the party and had trouble finding it searching the archives so -

How was Xykon able to cast maximized energy drain in the fight with V? As far as I can tell he'd need at least 34 CHA according to this chart, so what am I missing?

edit: wait never mind, I'm an idiot. This is literally one of the frequently asked questions in the first post *facepalm*
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 2019-04-08 at 02:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Couldn't he have a metamagic rod or whatever and have it not shown as artistic license?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Each forcecage casting costs me 1,500 gp in ruby dust, and one does not keep Miss Starshine's company for long before growing a sense of frugality.

Plus you need it for eyeshadow.

I told you that in confidence, you dolt!
    *claps*

Okay, that was a good one. Permission to sig?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Couldn't he have a metamagic rod or whatever and have it not shown as artistic license?
    Quote Originally Posted by OP FAQ View Post
    Q: How does Xykon cast Maximized Energy Drain in comic 652?
    We don't know for sure. The most popular theories involve the feat Sudden Maximize, the feat Improved Spell Capacity, or a Rod of Metamagic. Each theory has its pros and cons.
    GW c
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #307
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    *claps*

Okay, that was a good one. Permission to sig?
    Permission granted.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ok, Summon Monster VII, TVFKAG (The Vampire Formely Known As Gontor) is at least a 13th level Cleric.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

9. - Top - End - #309
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Yes, he finally has a level hahahahahahhahahahahhahahah

feels good
    Last edited by understatement; 2019-04-15 at 01:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Yes, he finally has a level hahahahahahhahahahahhahahah

feels good
    At least until I figure out a way to cheese it up so much that I can knock him back down to Cleric 1+.Spoiler alert, I can't.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-15 at 01:19 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #311
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    At least until I figure out a way to cheese it up so much that I can knock him back down to Cleric 1+.Spoiler alert, I can't.
    But, wait, I thought prestige classes were only for munchkins and cler---. Ah.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    At least until I figure out a way to cheese it up so much that I can knock him back down to Cleric 1+.
    Somewhere on the Plane of Shadow, a cleric discovered the secret of darkvisibility, paper and pigments that are transparent to normal vision but opaque to darkvision. Some darkvisible scrolls made their way into the Exarch's possession. The Exarch has been using darkvisible scrolls ever since he was vampirized, and we haven't seen it because the comic doesn't convey the darkvisible spectrum.

...there's got to be a setting where that would actually make sense.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #313

Ghostwalk, maybe.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Somewhere on the Plane of Shadow, a cleric discovered the secret of darkvisibility, paper and pigments that are transparent to normal vision but opaque to darkvision. Some darkvisible scrolls made their way into the Exarch's possession. The Exarch has been using darkvisible scrolls ever since he was vampirized, and we haven't seen it because the comic doesn't convey the darkvisible spectrum.

Metroid Prime II: Echoes.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, if we are really doing that...

The Exarch was never a cleric. He was always an Expert, of high level, specialized in protocol, languages, diplomacy, cultures and rules. (kind of a Dwarven C3P0)

That was his role in the Creed of Stone. However, what he had as an astronomical number of ranks in Use Magic Device, allowing him to use scrolls with ease.

What scrolls?, you ask. Well, I remember having read somewhere that spellbooks take many different forms, not only of a book as we see it. The same could apply to scrools: stone tablets, jewels and precious stones inscribed with the spell text, sewed leaves inscribed with druidic runes, runestones... or tattoos. What if the Exarch has lots of scrolls inscribed in his very skin, making himself his own set of scrolls. And each time he casts a spell, he is, in fact, activating a specific scroll, whose writings will disappear from his skin.

That's another theory for you.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-04-16 at 09:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Well, if we are really doing that...

The Exarch was never a cleric. He was always an Expert, of high level, specialized in protocol, languages, diplomacy, cultures and rules. (kind of a Dwarven C3P0)

That was his role in the Creed of Stone. However, what he had as an astronomical number of ranks in Use Magic Device, allowing him to use scrolls with ease.

What scrolls?, you ask. Well, I remember having read somewhere that spellbooks take many different forms, not only of a book as we see it. The same could apply to scrools: stone tablets, jewels and precious stones inscribed with the spell text, sewed leaves inscribed with druidic runes, runestones... or tattoos. What if the Exarch has lots of scrolls inscribed in his very skin, making himself his own set of scrolls. And each time he casts a spell, he is, in fact, activating a specific scroll, whose writings will disappear from his skin.

That's another theory for you.
    That is, of course, absurd. I am absolutely using this in my D&D campaign.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    That is, of course, absurd. I am absolutely using this in my D&D campaign.
    I once devised (but unfortunately never actually played) a short 3.5 campaign inspired in OotS (a "spin-off", if you may). I caled it Stickverse Tales: Little Trouble in Big Cliffport, and it revolved around a series of attacks against adventurers in Cliffport, taking place some time after the last time the Order was there.

The introductory adventure saw the players investigating some thieves, only to discover a group of three Goblin Commoners (all of them level 3, and each one, Uoryor, Witshee and Tiff, mimicking a role/class - Fighter, Wizard and Rogue). Witshee was a female goblin commoner with some ranks in UMD and some wands and scrolls. I dubbed this adventure Common Foes.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

If you replace "scrolls inscribed in his very skin" with "spellbook inscribed in his very skin", I'm pretty sure it's Complete Arcane that speaks to most of that (including how many pages of spells can be inscribed on which part of the skin). And while psionic tattoos are rather clearly based on potions rather than scrolls, it could constitute precedent....

But while having an allotment of high-level spells could in fact refer to just how many scrolls he had skinscribed (scrolls still take at least one day to create, after all), it seems like just a tiny bit of a stretch in the comic's wording.

Therefore, I propose a compromise: Archivist 1+.

19. - Top - End - #319

You've got my vote!

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you replace "scrolls inscribed in his very skin" with "spellbook inscribed in his very skin", I'm pretty sure it's Complete Arcane that speaks to most of that (including how many pages of spells can be inscribed on which part of the skin). And while psionic tattoos are rather clearly based on potions rather than scrolls, it could constitute precedent....

But while having an allotment of high-level spells could in fact refer to just how many scrolls he had skinscribed (scrolls still take at least one day to create, after all), it seems like just a tiny bit of a stretch in the comic's wording.

I thought we were making silly theories...

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

I thought we were making silly theories...
    Silly theories, like all theories, get style points for adhering to the evidence they're meant to explain, as it limits the range of theories and therefore the significance of the theory. It's the converse of "assume anything that refutes the theory is automatically a lie", as every theory is equivalent on that basis and therefore any theory dependent on that basis is insignificant.

Also, an archivist using his own skin as a darkvisible spellbook and using darkvisible scrolls isn't silly?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Silly theories, like all theories, get style points for adhering to the evidence they're meant to explain, as it limits the range of theories and therefore the significance of the theory. It's the converse of "assume anything that refutes the theory is automatically a lie", as every theory is equivalent on that basis and therefore any theory dependent on that basis is insignificant.

Also, an archivist using his own skin as a darkvisible spellbook and using darkvisible scrolls isn't silly?
    Why not an Expert pretending to be an archivist using that?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Why not an Expert pretending to be an archivist using that?
    Archivist 1 will have two spell levels available (0 and 1st), meaning he could be referring to his 1st-level slots as his "high-level" spells; which is closer to what the comic says. Besides, his other levels being Expert is how he has the UMD modifier for the scrolls.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

If he has the scrolls written on his body, his "allotment of high-level spells" could refer to the spells written on the upper part of his body, rather than their spell levels. Likewise, when he talks about having "slots left", he means space on his body to scribe scrolls.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If he has the scrolls written on his body, his "allotment of high-level spells" could refer to the spells written on the upper part of his body, rather than their spell levels. Likewise, when he talks about having "slots left", he means space on his body to scribe scrolls.
    You see no spell scribed on his bald head, do you?

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Is it possible that the string that Gannji found and gave to Enor is the string that Mr. Scruffy "called dibs" on? Belkar seemed to have been very invested in helping those two escape (released the Allosaur) beforehand the string was supposed to be him fixing the fight between Enor & Roy to have both have a symbol of victory (lizardfolk victory string, halfling courage rock) and when they find out Enor is fighting Gannji, he sees Gannji as himself and Enor as Mr. Scruffy, as seen in the comic where he escapes and feeds Mr. Scruffy a potion, and releases the Allosaur to help them escape. Belkar's arc went deeper than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

27. - Top - End - #327

How would he read it?

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    How would he read it?
    If it looks like a Bender's head, then with a mirror.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Reserved for level 9 perhaps?

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

1: Where did this whole question of Gontor’s class come from? Isn’t he explicitly a cleric of Hel?

2: Redcloak should probably be listed as “Cleric 17+” rather than “Cleric 17” due to the fact that he’s been fighting the monsters of Kraagor’s Tomb for weeks.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character