New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Technically she could have been level 6 before she was killed.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Technically she could have been level 6 before she was killed.
    That's why she should be [USG] 1+/Cleric 4+. She may have been L6. Or L7. Or higher (not too high though, since she's markedly lower than the OotS members). We don't know, and the stat block should reflect the uncertainty.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-05-12 at 07:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363

Lizardfolk

Sorry if it has already been stated but o chul has a few lvls of fighter.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Sorry if it has already been stated but o chul has a few lvls of fighter.
    The entry does state that he's a fighter/paladin. It says he has 12+ total levels, of which 3-4 are paladin levels. Saying he has fighter level 8+ would be redundant.

I don't know how the inferences were made but I'm guessing we have positive information on O-Chul's total levels and paladin levels, so those are the pieces of information used.

5. - Top - End - #365

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Nith View Post
    The entry does state that he's a fighter/paladin. It says he has 12+ total levels, of which 3-4 are paladin levels. Saying he has fighter level 8+ would be redundant.

I don't know how the inferences were made but I'm guessing we have positive information on O-Chul's total levels and paladin levels, so those are the pieces of information used.
    Ok thanks!
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

6. - Top - End - #366

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Nith View Post

The reasoning is explained in the first post. In this case, O-Chul has Aura of Courage that Paladins get at level 3 (Redcloak mentions O-Chul is immune to fear in the linked strip), but he doesn't have a paladin mount which is aquired at level 5. Thus, he has 3 or 4 paladin levels.

7. - Top - End - #367

So what class or racial ability grants the blue flamed sword that the convoluted familial relation who took Chad's former love wields?

8. - Top - End - #368
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    The reasoning is explained in the first post. In this case, O-Chul has Aura of Courage that Paladins get at level 3 (Redcloak mentions O-Chul is immune to fear in the linked strip), but he doesn't have a paladin mount which is aquired at level 5. Thus, he has 3 or 4 paladin levels.
    Oh, I didn't really care to look. It wasn't important. But thanks!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    So what class or racial ability grants the blue flamed sword that the convoluted familial relation who took Chad's former love wields?
    I dunno, but allow me to be the first to suggest that we immediately make an entry for him because that was cool, even though he meets none of the criteria and we know nothing about him.

I'm curious to see what anyone wants to posit for him though (I'm going with him even though I think we may have established that female dwarves may have facial hair and Durkon's relative could be a lesbian because I trust the Giant to have spelled fiancee with two e's if it were a female dwarf).

10. - Top - End - #370

GreataxeFighterGirl

He doesn't have the female body curves*, though. Torso looks more like Durkon than Minrah.

*that have previously been used to show a person is of feminine gender so I don't sound like a turd

11. - Top - End - #371
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Well the obvious option is that he is a Soulknife (possibly with a level in Fighter since he's wearing heavy armor)

12. - Top - End - #372
    Colossus in the Playground

Soulknife weapons have been seen before - looking a bit cruder:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html

This guy's weapon has a proper crossguard. Perhaps he's using the clerical Spiritual Weapon spell, and he's Lawful?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Soulknife weapons have been seen before - looking a bit cruder:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html

This guy's weapon has a proper crossguard. Perhaps he's using the clerical Spiritual Weapon spell, and he's Lawful?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm
    It's not attacking at a distance, though.

My first thought was that it was "just" a brilliant energy weapon, although the description doesn't quite match (though I think it'd pass if only looking at the spells required?)....My second thought was that it's not going to matter this time, either.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post

My first thought was that it was "just" a brilliant energy weapon, although the description doesn't quite match (though I think it'd pass if only looking at the spells required?)....
    It's not unheard of for a brilliant energy weapon to be depicted as all energy, not just the head/blade:

Spoiler: brilliant energy spear
    Show

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

My best guess would be incarnate. They get glowing blue weapons, and lawful incarnates specifically get a longsword. (Probably not using incarnum radiance at the moment, though; lawful incarnates using their radiance class feature "glow with a blood-red corona.")
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

The only classes that I know of that get a sword made out of energy are soulknife and incarnate (well, to be pedantic, anyone with Shape Soulmeld: Incarnate Weapon), and both have only showed up in the strip as butts of jokes about how weak they are (as opposed to one-shotting greater elementals).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

Query, I think I read this in another thread, but isn't the Spiritual Weapon of one type of Cleric a longsword like our mystery character is wielding?

I look forward to learning more about our oddly-speech ballooned stranger.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Query, I think I read this in another thread, but isn't the Spiritual Weapon of one type of Cleric a longsword like our mystery character is wielding?

I look forward to learning more about our oddly-speech ballooned stranger.
    Spiritual weapon doesn't need to be held, though, like a sword bigby's hand. I think it could just be a magic item, or any of the other things everyone else has mentioned. But from his rule of cool badassery he probably has the Cleave feat as well as some decent dexterity to stick the landing
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Spiritual weapon doesn't need to be held, though, like a sword bigby's hand. I think it could just be a magic item, or any of the other things everyone else has mentioned. But from his rule of cool badassery he probably has the Cleave feat as well as some decent dexterity to stick the landing
    the Flame Blade druid spell is a possibility - but it would raise certain questions about what kind of armour this person is wearing. I think stone plate armour from Races of Stone is usable by dwarf druids though.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-05-14 at 01:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380

Lizardfolk

Or you know....
    It could just be a fancy magic weapon.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

21. - Top - End - #381

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    I dunno, but allow me to be the first to suggest that we immediately make an entry for him because that was cool, even though he meets none of the criteria and we know nothing about him.

I'm curious to see what anyone wants to posit for him though (I'm going with him even though I think we may have established that female dwarves may have facial hair and Durkon's relative could be a lesbian because I trust the Giant to have spelled fiancee with two e's if it were a female dwarf).
    He's at least an outsider with those speech boxes, right? Or possible Aasimar?

22. - Top - End - #382

Or a shapechanged blue dragon - dragons have been known to have coloured background, white text, white border, for speech bubbles:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0638.html

I think this is the first time since Celia, that the combo of blue background, white text, white border, has been used. Hence the theory that, if he is an outsider, he's probably an Outsider from the Plane of Air like Celia is.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-05-14 at 08:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Or a shapechanged blue dragon - dragons have been known to have coloured background, white text, white border, for speech bubbles:

I think this is the first time since Celia, that the combo of blue background, white text, white border, has been used. Hence the theory that, if he is an outsider, he's probably an Outsider from the Plane of Air like Celia is.
    Also in evidence in that strip: soul-spliced characters get odd speech balloons. Probably not the same from character to character either - pink is the color of Vaarsuvius's dweomer in particular, and that likely influenced her speech bubble.

Could this guy be a Binder (Tome of Magic)?

24. - Top - End - #384

While the black dragons have had white text and border, black dragons might be unique that way. The red dragon and the blue half-dragon we see in the Empire of Blood, have coloured text and border, rather than white text and border:

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It has been stated in the strip thread that he is visually similar to a class The Giant created, called Champion.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

26. - Top - End - #386
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Could this guy be a Binder (Tome of Magic)?
    I think a Trapper Keeper is more likely.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    It has been stated in the strip thread that he is visually similar to a class The Giant created, called Champion.
    Straight away, the "While the champion might also have an interest in such worldly affairs as money, the champion's avatar form cares only for its divine mission." seems to virtually rule that out. Besides, the avatar would not be Durkon's "cousin's brother in law's niece's fiance", only the host would.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    There is a superhero class.

I dig it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There is a superhero class.

I dig it.
    I thought there would be a secret text...

Fyraltari: subverting expectations since Aug 2017
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-05-14 at 02:13 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

30. - Top - End - #390
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adeon Hawkwood View Post
    Well the obvious option is that he is a Soulknife (possibly with a level in Fighter since he's wearing heavy armor)
    I’m not sure that’s heavy armor. In the panel when he lands, it flexes a lot. It looks more like black leather to me, though it could be an exotic material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I wish to fill your intellect with light,
    light so aflame with life that cannot cease,
    in your eyes it will tremble like a star. -Beatrice, Paradiso 2.109-11