New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Evil Opposites seem even more likely to be the same level than personal nemses. Not to mention, Pompey was shoddy replacement for Z who has always appeared to be at V's level.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Is that really all there is to it? Because that logic is extremely suspect. Evil opposites are not the same thing as personal nemesis, which is what gives Crystal free experience. And Pompeo didn't suddenly gain a bunch of levels when Nale declared him to be the Evil Opposite of V.

Grey Wolf
    I guess evil opposite is not precisely the same thing as personal nemesis in Elan and Nale's case, but it's pretty close. They're certainly both. At least, that's the logic this thread has been operating under.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    They're certainly both.
    That's what I'd argue. Wrong term used in the explanation a few posts back is all.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I don,t think the evil twins were considered nemesis. Tarquin at least didn't seem to consider them that, but recurring villains, which is a different class of enemy. And if Tarquin knew anything, it was story beats.

5. - Top - End - #485

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I don,t think the evil twins were considered nemesis. Tarquin at least didn't seem to consider them that, but recurring villains, which is a different class of enemy. And if Tarquin knew anything, it was story beats.
    To say that Tarquin had a massive blind spot where he and his sons were concerned would arguably be an understatement.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-06-12 at 04:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

To say that Tarquin had a massive blind spot where he and his sons were concerned would arguably be an understatement.
    Only to the point where he couldn't force them into the story he wanted. Doesn't mean he was wrong about the rest.

7. - Top - End - #487

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Only to the point where he couldn't force them into the story he wanted. Doesn't mean he was wrong about the rest.
    No, but if you're going to argue his reading of it where his sons were concerned, they all go out the window as soon as he let out that he thought Elan was the main character and party leader. Bad foundations build bad houses.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Is that really all there is to it? Because that logic is extremely suspect. Evil opposites are not the same thing as personal nemesis, which is what gives Crystal free experience. And Pompeo didn't suddenly gain a bunch of levels when Nale declared him to be the Evil Opposite of V.

Grey Wolf
    In fact that is not all there is to it. Elan is currently listed as level 15, and the rationale is that he must have attained Bard 14 at some point in order to have retrained a spell known to Cure Critical Wounds and must have at least one Dashing Swordsman level.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

For what it’s worth (not much), I’ve always thought that the application of personal nemesis rules to anyone other than Crystal is pretty suspect.

Also, I’m not sure I’d think that it works in reverse (I.e. if Crystal had gone an gained a level, I’m not sure that Haley would have gotten a free one). If nothing else, this would get pretty wonky if they’re both adventuring at the same time. Insofar as its not a throwaway joke (and in not saying it it) it would seem to be to be intended for non-adventuring nemesis (Crystal being basically an NPC) to keep up with PCs, not the other way around.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    For what it’s worth (not much), I’ve always thought that the application of personal nemesis rules to anyone other than Crystal is pretty suspect.

Also, I’m not sure I’d think that it works in reverse (I.e. if Crystal had gone an gained a level, I’m not sure that Haley would have gotten a free one). If nothing else, this would get pretty wonky if they’re both adventuring at the same time. Insofar as its not a throwaway joke (and in not saying it it) it would seem to be to be intended for non-adventuring nemesis (Crystal being basically an NPC) to keep up with PCs, not the other way around.
    Crystal didn't seem to do much adventuring. While she killed plenty of mid-level thieves, I doubt any of them are high enough for her to gain significant XP after Haley reaches 12 or so. So the odds of her actually having enough XP to be more than a level higher than Haley are low.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I guess evil opposite is not precisely the same thing as personal nemesis in Elan and Nale's case, but it's pretty close. They're certainly both. At least, that's the logic this thread has been operating under.
    Evil opposite is not the same as a personal nemesis in any case, though you can have two characters that function as such.

There's an argument to be made about Nale-Elan being personal nemesises, but the odds that they would have the rule put into effect is unlikely. Even assuming they can consciously make that decision, Elan wouldn't know how, and Nale would be too arrogant to believe that Elan would be worthy of such a role until their final showdown. Even then, Nale would assume that Elan would be more likely to benefit from it than Nale himself would.

Things like Haley-Sabine and V-Z are much less likely, with both of them having insufficient reason to actually be a personal nemesis. There's a difference between "recurring villain who you hate" and "person you will devote your life to fighting".
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-06-12 at 09:32 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #491
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The core members of the Linear Guild definitely seemed to stay around the same level as OOTS whether or not the personal nemesis rule applies. It seems like a reasonable explanation for how Z continued to gain levels and optimize their build against V while in copyright jail, for example.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    The core members of the Linear Guild definitely seemed to stay around the same level as OOTS whether or not the personal nemesis rule applies. It seems like a reasonable explanation for how Z continued to gain levels and optimize their build against V while in copyright jail, for example.
    Or you could argue that Z was only in copyright jail for a day or so until he was released on Parody grounds, then didn't meet up with Nale until post-Cliffport/was in the Western Continent (or some other place where Z couldn't meet with Nale). So while he would have gotten a few levels not necessarily meant to optimize against V, he still had level gain and was in contact with Nale though he was also unable to actually meet him. Sending exists (including scrolls), but acquiring swift transport for a Drow may be a considerable amount more trouble than Nale would want. Similarly, if Z was meant to take care of other business wherever he was (say, spying on Tarquin or meeting with other Drow) then it would be much better for Z to not be with Nale at any given moment. However, he could easily still be out of prison before Cliffport and in contact with Nale, just not actually present.

...Or maybe Z chatted up a local Good-aligned Being-in-the-Light while in prison, and got XP from playing Chess with it.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-06-12 at 10:18 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    In fact that is not all there is to it. Elan is currently listed as level 15, and the rationale is that he must have attained Bard 14 at some point in order to have retrained a spell known to Cure Critical Wounds and must have at least one Dashing Swordsman level.
    This would actually require Bard 16 - to swap a spell it must be at least 2 levels lower than the highest you can cast. Cure Critical is a level 4 spell on the Bard list; in order to exchange another spell to it, Elan would have to be able to cast level 6, which is first gained at Bard (actual class level) 16. However, level 16 is not a valid level for a spell exchange, which would push it all the way to 17. If we are assuming that Dashing Swordsman does not advance spellcasting, this would mean Elan's total level is at least 18.

..Since I do not believe there is any reason to suspect that Elan is notably higher level than all the rest of the Order, this probably falls under 'The Giant did not know about/care about the minutia of these rules', but if we're using 'Elan retrained a spell to Cure Critical' as a data point, the proper conclusion from that is 'Elan is level 18+.' (Or, potentially, that when he hit Bard level 14 he took 'Cure Critical' as a 4th level spell known instead of the 5th level spell he would ordinarily take at that level.)

14. - Top - End - #494

Since the Giant is on record about not really caring about the rules any more, other than avoiding serious continuity snarls, we probably shouldn't read too much into it. And anyways, it is possible that Elan just forgot to pick a new spell when he leveled up.

15. - Top - End - #495

New theory: OotS Bards can swap spells one level lower than their highest level they can cast, because that's a quick and easy fix.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

New theory: OotS Bards can swap spells one level lower than their highest level they can cast, because that's a quick and easy fix.
    Or: The Extra Spell feat adds a new spell known up to one level below the highest level spell known, Elan could have taken it at 15th, and it appears in Complete Arcane which is already referenced in the comic.

Or Banjo ascended and is now an eternal wand of cure critical wounds, because that's funny. That eternal wands only go up to 3rd-level spells, while Banjo's is a 4th-level spell, would be the "ascended" part.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like even if there's a lack of other evidence, we can make assumptions about party members not being too far behind the rest of the party unless there's some rationale for why they would be.

In particular, Durkon was level 15 before his two deaths, and it's hard to see how he could have ended up ahead of Elan. Everyone else except Roy is 15 or 16 (and Roy died once), so I think it's at the point where anyone arguing that Elan is below level 15 would have to explain how he could have fallen behind (especially vs. Durkon, who has been with Elan pretty much the entire adventure and also missed several fights Elan participated in.)

Although I suppose we can argue about how many levels of Bard vs. Dashing Swordsman he has - having only one level in Dashing Swordsman seems weird, since it means the class is awfully frontloaded, but it seems hard to avoid concluding that unless we assume he's level 16.

Incidentally, we're probably never going to get clear indicators when he has a second level of Dashing Swordsman unless it's unambiguously stated, are we? Since it's a class we have no official mechanics for.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-06-13 at 05:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Incidentally, we're probably never going to get clear indicators when he has a second level of Dashing Swordsman unless it's unambiguously stated, are we? Since it's a class we have no official mechanics for.
    The comic is actually a documentary. It will end with a where they ended up text flash for each character.

Elan ended the adventure as a 15 bard/3 dashing swordsman. He went on to gain 2 levels in wizard, to honor Vaarsuvius' memory, then retired because "epic levels are for munchkins"
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2019-06-14 at 08:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    This would actually require Bard 16 - to swap a spell it must be at least 2 levels lower than the highest you can cast. Cure Critical is a level 4 spell on the Bard list; in order to exchange another spell to it, Elan would have to be able to cast level 6, which is first gained at Bard (actual class level) 16. However, level 16 is not a valid level for a spell exchange, which would push it all the way to 17. If we are assuming that Dashing Swordsman does not advance spellcasting, this would mean Elan's total level is at least 18.

..Since I do not believe there is any reason to suspect that Elan is notably higher level than all the rest of the Order, this probably falls under 'The Giant did not know about/care about the minutia of these rules', but if we're using 'Elan retrained a spell to Cure Critical' as a data point, the proper conclusion from that is 'Elan is level 18+.' (Or, potentially, that when he hit Bard level 14 he took 'Cure Critical' as a 4th level spell known instead of the 5th level spell he would ordinarily take at that level.)
    We did this discussion back in C&LG XV, on pages 31 and 32. I think the cleanest and least house-ruled solution came from Aquillion in post #934, suggesting that if Dashing Swordsman advances existing Bard spellcasting, but not effective Bard level for the purposes of retraining, then Elan could be Bard 14 / Dashing Swordsman 2 with a Charisma of 22+; he'd then be able to cast level 6 spells (and thus retrain a level 4 spell at last level-up), but would still have needed to take Bard level 13 at strip 647 to advance towards his spell swap level at Bard 14. Of course, this would confirm Elan as total level 16+, and able to cast level 6 spells (of which we as yet have no direct in-comic evidence), so it may be too much of a stretch for some.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Did anything come of the fact that Hilgya could not resist vampiric gaze, but Minrah could? Also, should we assume that it was from Durkon on both counts, or just for Hilgya? Vampire Gaze rules might work a bit differently, though we know that Ponchula was the one who was controlling Belkar.

-Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Did anything come of the fact that Hilgya could not resist vampiric gaze, but Minrah could? Also, should we assume that it was from Durkon on both counts, or just for Hilgya? Vampire Gaze rules might work a bit differently, though we know that Ponchula was the one who was controlling Belkar.
    While it is a simple DC 14 will save, a cleric of Hilgya's level can still fail their save, by rolling a natural 1. Minrah, though she has a mere +6 to Hilgya's +16, still has a more than 50% possibility to overcome. Hilgya was just unlucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    While it is a simple DC 14 will save, a cleric of Hilgya's level can still fail their save, by rolling a natural 1. Minrah, though she has a mere +6 to Hilgya's +16, still has a more than 50% possibility to overcome. Hilgya was just unlucky.
    Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

While we're on the topic of Minrah, she should be Cleric 4+ right now unless the "-1 level from rez" has some weird rules regarding multiclass characters, and she could have lost her unspecified guard class level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

While we're on the topic of Minrah, she should be Cleric 4+ right now unless the "-1 level from rez" has some weird rules regarding multiclass characters, and she could have lost her unspecified guard class level.
    The lost level is always the most recent. Given that she was a Guard first, whatever class(es) she took as part of her tenure as a Guard would be 'safe' and her most recent Cleric level would be on the chopping block.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

25. - Top - End - #505

Actually, from what I recall from when we crunched the numbers when that comic popped Hilgya fails on like a 1-5.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Actually, from what I recall from when we crunched the numbers when that comic popped Hilgya fails on like a 1-5.
    Still, the point stands. It means fairly little, and Hilgya just flubbed the roll.

-Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #507
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Did anything come of the fact that Hilgya could not resist vampiric gaze, but Minrah could?
    Anyone can roll a 1 and fail; anyone can roll a 20 and succeed.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Anyone can roll a 1 and fail; anyone can roll a 20 and succeed.
    Also, Minrah might have been assigned to and targeted by a single vampire spawn, where Hilgya might have been targeted by multiple full vampires. Greg wasn't stupid, and knew Hilgya to be a cleric of high level, whereas Minrah wasn't really a threat. Rolling badly in one check is possible but unlikely. Having to save against, say, two or three domination attempts per round for a couple of rounds? That is suddenly a lot harder.

Greg & co were spamming the damned things. Everyone rolls badly eventually.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Also Minrah was serving as a guard to defend against vampires attacking the dwarven homeland, so she may have specifically prepared some spells or magic items to protect herself against vampiric gaze.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-06-17 at 09:04 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Also Minrah was serving as a guard to defend against vampires attacking the dwarven homeland, so she may have specifically prepared some spells or magic items to protect herself against vampiric gaze.
    You're mistaken, she was guarding the Temple of Thor as part of her duties, but she wasn't specifically prepared to fight against vampires.
    And if you think that she was serious when she said they had more spells prepared to handle vampires, I'm afraid you've failed your sense motive check.