New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    In a non-diagetic panel, Thog states that his Dungeon of Dorukan axe does 1d12 base damage, and he is further implied but not outright stated to be a greataxe-wielding barbarian. Thog also quotes what seems like a ludicrous amount of bonus damage, but it might not actually be ludicrous - I've not dipped my toes much into the realm of getting high Power Attack numbers, and for all I know it's reasonable.

EDIT: C.P.P.D. forensics gives Thog's axe a base damage of 1d12 and a +3 enhancement bonus.
    Didn't remember those. Ok, now we have in-comic confirmation that Thog's double-bladed axe is indeed a Greataxe. Can we find any such confirmation for the one-bladed axe he used in the arena. One indication that that's a Greataxe is the fact he always uses it two-handed, but that's no definitive proof, given that Battleaxes can be used two-handed, and Dwarven Waraxes must be used two-handed by someone not-dwarf and lacking the Exotic Weapon Skill.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

2. - Top - End - #692
    Banned

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    One indication that that's a Greataxe is the fact he always uses it two-handed
    Not quite always. Though this could be like a baseball swing where he starts two-handed and lets go with one hand in the follow-through.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Not quite always. Though this could be like a baseball swing where he starts two-handed and lets go with one hand in the follow-through.
    My bad. I'll go with the baseball swing hypothesis.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thog is shown using what is probably a Greataxe, given he always uses it two-handed. However, beetween the dungeon and the arena, the appearance of the axes he uses is pretty different, one being one-bladed and the other being two-bladed, which would indicate the same kind of weapon may have different images, and we shouldn't use appearance as a guideline.
    Remember, the arena axe wasn't his axe - it was a generic Gladiator™ Brand axe supplied by Tarquin's people. Probably not even masterwork, let alone magic.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-07-23 at 02:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Remember, the arena axe wasn't his axe - it was a generic Gladiator™ Brand axe supplied by Tarquin's people. Probably not even masterwork, let alone magic.
    Yes, probably. The main question, however, is if it was a Greataxe.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

My bad. I'll go with the baseball swing hypothesis.
    Further evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Yes, probably. The main question, however, is if it was a Greataxe.
    Counterpoint.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Ok, that's enough for me to consider that the arena axe is indeed a Greataxe, which leads to the conclusion that the image of the weapon shouldn't be trusted as primary source of what weapon that one is (except for, you know, obvious stuff like axe vs. bow, axe vs. sword, I think you got it - that's my Minrah fan side ).

If a Greataxe can be drawn with one or two blades, so can Battleaxes or Dwarven Waraxes, and we should focus more on its game-mechanics effects.

With that in mind, Logann did a trip attack with a weapon that shouldn't be able to make a trip attack. The sole way we found until now for him to do that, within 3.5 published material, and also that doesn't involve him dealing damage to the soldier, is for him to use the Trip Attack stunt from the Exotic Weapon Mastertm from Complete Warriortm.

Thus, I propose the following version of Logann's character sheet:

Captain Logann
    Dwarf male Fighter 6+/Exotic Weapon Master 1+ (Required for the minimum Base Attack for Exotic Weapon Master / Required to make a trip attack with a Dwarven Waraxe).
    Int 13+ (to have Combat Expertise)
    Feats: Combat Expertise (required for Improved Disarm), Improved Disarm (in order to use disarm without provoking attack of oportunity), Weapon Focus [Dwarven Waraxe] (required for EWM)
    Skills: Craft [Weaponsmith] 3+ ranks (required for EWM)
    Abilities: Dwarf racial abilities, Exotic Weapon Stunt [Trip Attack]
    Items: Armor, Dwarven Waraxe.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-07-24 at 08:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

With that in mind, Logann did a trip attack with a weapon that shouldn't be able to make a trip attack. The sole way we found until now for him to do that, within 3.5 published material, and also that doesn't involve him dealing damage to the soldier, is for him to use the Trip Attack stunt from the Exotic Weapon Mastertm from Complete Warriortm.
    Hmm, I wonder if Tome of BattleTM has any maneuvers that have similar trip-like effectsTM. Tarquin does use his whip to perform a Ballista Throw, but whips can trip already...

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Don't dwarves get weapon proficiency with racial weapons in that they treat them like martial weapons? Would it still require exotic weapon-specific feats? Or is that just in Pathfinder?

10. - Top - End - #700
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Don't dwarves get weapon proficiency with racial weapons in that they treat them like martial weapons? Would it still require exotic weapon-specific feats? Or is that just in Pathfinder?
    They do, and Exotic Weapon Master specifically always a dwarf's racial weapon proficiencies to substitute for the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat that is typically required to enter the class. The Exotic Weapon Master's trip stunt is still required to make a trip attack with a dwarven waraxe, though, since it is not normally a tripping weapon.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    They do, and Exotic Weapon Master specifically always a dwarf's racial weapon proficiencies to substitute for the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat that is typically required to enter the class. The Exotic Weapon Master's trip stunt is still required to make a trip attack with a dwarven waraxe, though, since it is not normally a tripping weapon.
    That's indeed the great advantage of the Dwarven Waraxe over Battleaxe. He can't be an EWM with Battleaxe, thus can't use the Trip Attack stunt with it.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

That's indeed the great advantage of the Dwarven Waraxe over Battleaxe. He can't be an EWM with Battleaxe, thus can't use the Trip Attack stunt with it.
    That answers the 90-post long conversation on the discussion thread too. If he used a trip-attack, he has a Dwarven Waraxe.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That answers the 90-post long conversation on the discussion thread too. If he used a trip-attack, he has a Dwarven Waraxe.
    "The end of the journey matters less them the treep itself."

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

"The end of the journey matters less them the treep itself."
    Hah! Good one!

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hah! Good one!
    There are at leaf four layers in this onion...

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ok, let's geek-out?

I'm interested in verifying if breaking the ceiling gives us any additional intel on Durkon's Strength.

First, let's assume, as it has been stated here, that the diameter of the table is 10 ft.

Comparing it with the rock that breaks the table, we get the table has 4.5-5 times the diameter of the rock. When we compare the rock with the hole in the ceiling, we get the the hole has a diameter of about 1.5 times the diameter of the rock, which means 1.5 x 10 / 4.5 (let's assume the worst case, where the ceiling is thicker), which gives us a diameter for the hole of 3.33 ft.

We have that the diameter of the hole is 2.5 bigger than the depth of the hole from until the orange barrier below the barrier (in the inside) and that that same diameter is about 10 times the depth of the hole from the orange barrier until the surface (outside). Considering that the barrier itself is paper thin, which seemed the case when Gontor was near it on the door, we can consider its thickness negligible. So, the thickness of the ceiling is (3.33 / 2.5) + (3.33 / 10) = 1.67 ft.

Considering that it's Hewn Stone, as per the DMG, it's typical thickness would be 3 ft, with Hardness 8 and 540 hp in a 10 ft x 10 ft section. Since we have a smaller thickness, let's adjust the Hp accordingly (Hardness derives from the characteristics of the material itself, so it shouldn't be adjusted for thickness): 540 x 1.67 / 3 = 300 Hp.

That's, however, for a 100 square feet section. Since we have a diameter of 3.33 ft, and making an approximation to consider that the hole is a circle, we have an area of Pi x (3.33/2)^2 = 8.73 square ft. Adjusting the Hp accordingly, we have a total of 300 x 8.73 / 100 = 26.18 Hp on that section. Let's pick the worst case and round it up to 27 Hp.

That means that, in order to break that section, Durkon must have caused at least 35 points of damage with the hammer thrown.

Let's now take a look at the Hammer of Thunderbolts (aka Hammer of Lokisucks): When used at full power, it causes 4d6 of basic damage and has an enhancement bonus of +5. It also allows for the Belt of Giant Strength and the Gauntlets of Ogre Power to stack, which makes the STR bonus be +6 or +8 (depending on if the Belt is a +4 or a +6 one).

We know Durkon isn't under any other spell effect, since they would all be dispelled crossing the orange barrier. The ceiling is an inanimate object, thus, doesn't suffer critica damage. His damage, therefore, was 4d6+5+(STR Bonus).

Assuming maximum damage, he would still need a STR Bonus of +6 at least in order to break the ceiling. That means a STR of at least 22.

If we assume the better Belt possible (+6, leading to a total bonus of +8), that means his unmodified STR must be at least 14, which is consistent with what we had before.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-08-02 at 03:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Let's pick the worst case and round it up to 27 Hp.

That means that, in order to break that section, Durkon must have caused at least 35 points of damage with the hammer thrown.

Let's now take a look at the Hammer of Thunderbolts (aka Hammer of Lokisucks): When used at full power, it causes 4d6 of basic damage and has an enhancement bonus of +5. It also allows for the Belt of Giant Strength and the Gauntlets of Ogre Power to stack, which makes the STR bonus be +6 or +8 (depending on if the Belt is a +4 or a +6 one).

We know Durkon isn't under any other spell effect, since they would all be dispelled crossing the orange barrier. The ceiling is an inanimate object, thus, doesn't suffer critica damage. His damage, therefore, was 4d6+5+(STR Bonus).

Assuming maximum damage, he would still need a STR Bonus of +6 at least in order to break the ceiling. That means a STR of at least 22.

If we assume the better Belt possible (+6, leading to a total bonus of +8), that means his unmodified STR must be at least 14, which is consistent with what we had before.
    OK, but he could still have broken the ceiling with a +4 belt, right? Max of 4d6 is 24 damage, 5 for the Hammer's enchancement bonus, 1 for the Gauntlets, 2 for the Belt, only 3 short. Therefore, Durkon either has a +6 belt, and 14+ unmodified STR, or a +4 belt, and 16+ unmodified STR. I agree that, from a fluff perspective, it is more likely that those who stored the hammer would leave a +6 belt with it, if they had access to one, but either scenario is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    OK, but he could still have broken the ceiling with a +4 belt, right? Max of 4d6 is 24 damage, 5 for the Hammer's enchancement bonus, 1 for the Gauntlets, 2 for the Belt, only 3 short. Therefore, Durkon either has a +6 belt, and 14+ unmodified STR, or a +4 belt, and 16+ unmodified STR. I agree that, from a fluff perspective, it is more likely that those who stored the hammer would leave a +6 belt with it, if they had access to one, but either scenario is possible.
    Yes, that's right. I opted for the strongest belt only to calculate the minimum unmodified STR, but nothing prevents a higher unmodifier STR and a weaker belt.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not going to say this calculation is wrong, but isn't there a possibility that (as Sigdi implies) Thor had a hand in the damage to the roof?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    I'm not going to say this calculation is wrong, but isn't there a possibility that (as Sigdi implies) Thor had a hand in the damage to the roof?
    Generic answer:

Yes, there is. Thor may have given the hammer a push, making it stronger than what is described in the SRD. We can't really quantify that.

A little more specific answer:

In the situation seen, Sidgi's seems to be talking about the hammer after it went through the roof and reached the sky, and Thor's help would me more in the line of making the hammer return in the right angle (and maybe with a small boost in strength) to be able to knock down a chunk of rock on the table.

My analysis here is about the hammer going up, before punching a hole in the roof (and the very act of punching a hole in the roof). I've assumed there was no Thorpush up, because until now we had no evidence of that. If in the next strips we get Hel complaining "Thor gave a strength boost to the hammer when it was going up!!!!!" or "Thor made the hammer stronger!!!", then that will invalidate the analysis.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Unlikely, given Thor's analysis of the avenues by which he can help. Sigdi's declaration is the local equivalent of "This is in [insert appropriate deity here]'s hands now"

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Vaarsuvius's race should be listed as "High elf" rather than just "Elf". We know this from OotPC page 60.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Unlikely, given Thor's analysis of the avenues by which he can help. Sigdi's declaration is the local equivalent of "This is in [insert appropriate deity here]'s hands now"

Grey Wolf
    Also, and mainly, this.

On a side note, if this was Vampire: The Masquerade, I'd say Curly-haired-vampire has Courage 1.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Also, and mainly, this.

On a side note, if this was Vampire: The Masquerade, I'd say Curly-haired-vampire has Courage 1.
    It probably has 2 or even 3 dots in "chance of living through this fiasco", which puts it way ahead of the exexarch who appears to have put 0 into that and 5 dots into "be a giant target" and somewhat ahead of Sandy and its one dot in "maybe everyone will forget I exist".

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    It probably has 2 or even 3 dots in "chance of living through this fiasco", which puts it way ahead of the exexarch who appears to have put 0 into that and 5 dots into "be a giant target" and somewhat ahead of Sandy and its one dot in "maybe everyone will forget I exist".
    Sandy who? I remember no vampire named that way...

26. - Top - End - #716

It's short for Sans de Name.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Sandy who? I remember no vampire named that way...
    So, what you're saying is that you think that it rolled well on it's one dot.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, what you're saying is that you think that it rolled well on it's one dot.
    No, what I'm saying is that I realized the truth that there are no dots and no sheet at all.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The hammer might have a special enchantment against stone. Possibly added by Thor ahead of time. Earthquake is overkill, of course, but how about Shatter?

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    The hammer might have a special enchantment against stone. Possibly added by Thor ahead of time. Earthquake is overkill, of course, but how about Shatter?
    If so, no wonder the dwarves stopped using the hammer to the point they forgot where they stored it. Why, an enchantment that works on their allies, rocks, but doesn't work on their mortal enemies, trees. What was Thor thinking?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est