New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    You did the math wrong. Thousands of times colossal is not thousands of times the bonus. IF you allow larger than colossal (not in core but allowed in splat), then double size is +4 to spot, but you need to double the new and larger size for the next +4.

The moon is 11,398,464' in diameter. That would be 17 categories above colossal, for a whopping +84 to spot.

The distance penalty is minus over 250 million. You can not see the moon.
    Isn't there also a penalty to Hide if a light source is involved? ((Admittedly not enough by these numbers, but still...))

2. - Top - End - #932
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

The moon is 11,398,464' in diameter.
    That level of accuracy doesn't seem right, but I don't know enough about the moon to dispute it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #933

Wikipedia gives an average radius of 1737.1 km, for a diameter of 3474.2 km, which would be 2181.8 miles. Multiply that by 5280 and you get 11,519,904 feet.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I actually ran the math on this year's ago when someone claimed by RAW you couldn't see the moon.
    Oh wow, indeed. The Spot check has a linear penalty of -1 per feet of distance, and nothing comparable to balance against it. The penalty is probably less severe for the part of the distance outside of the atmosphere, but even then it's way too much.

5. - Top - End - #935

Yeah, by the rules you probably can't see someone you can shoot with your bow. Even replacing "foot" with "square" still leaves you with a -20 at a hundred feet.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You did the math wrong. Thousands of times colossal is not thousands of times the bonus. IF you allow larger than colossal (not in core but allowed in splat), then double size is +4 to spot, but you need to double the new and larger size for the next +4.

The moon is 11,398,464' in diameter. That would be 17 categories above colossal, for a whopping +84 to spot.

You're right, I did. I was using the AC size modifiers, which double, rather than add +4 in Pathfinder. I can't recall how I calculated the size category, but I ended up with a number of categories far higher than 17; I think I added +10ft to each side of the hypothetical square the moon would take on the map for each category it went up (which was the jump from Gargantuan to Colossal and seemed a reasonable assumption).

7. - Top - End - #937

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Wikipedia gives an average radius of 1737.1 km, for a diameter of 3474.2 km, which would be 2181.8 miles. Multiply that by 5280 and you get 11,519,904 feet.
    Your math is fine but your science is off. That works out to 11, 520,000 feet.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Spot penalties for distance are linear, but the bonuses for target size are logarithmic. You can't see a mountain at half a mile, you can't hope to see the sun
    It's perfectly possible to see the sun. You only use Spot to detect someone that is hiding or otherwise difficult to see. You don't have to roll Spot to see something that's in plain sight.

9. - Top - End - #939

Doesn’t V’s source for spellcraft say that V has more ranks in it than the rest of the party? She says that no one else has enough ranks in spellcraft to recognize it as magical darkness, meaning he has 10+ ranks in spellcraft, correct?
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    It's perfectly possible to see the sun. You only use Spot to detect someone that is hiding or otherwise difficult to see. You don't have to roll Spot to see something that's in plain sight.
    Nope, nothing in the PHB says it's only used opposed and in the DMG you explicitely use spot even if neither party is hiding to see what range you spot the other group in an encounter.

11. - Top - End - #941

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    In fairness, we can't see the sun in real life, at least with the naked eye. It's too bright :b

12. - Top - End - #942

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    In fairness, we can't see the sun in real life, at least with the naked eye. It's too bright :b
    Imean, you can see it.

....once.

Or at sunrise or sundown when you maximize the atmosphere between you and the sun, or if its kind of cloudy and hazy, or pictures or filters or LOOK THE JOKE WAS FUNNY OK?!?

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Do you really think that's significant?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #944

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I figure it is.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Troll in the Playground

Imean, you can see it.

....once.

Or at sunrise or sundown when you maximize the atmosphere between you and the sun, or if its kind of cloudy and hazy, or pictures or filters or LOOK THE JOKE WAS FUNNY OK?!?
    Hey I've seen the sun plenty of times even while it was high up. I saw spots for a while, but the sun can't make you blind from a moment looking at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

Er... is it just me or are a lot of the smilies borked?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Been noticing it all over, not just here....I guess Photobucket's watermarking of images wasn't accomplishing what it was meant to; and now Photobucket is blurring the images and watermarking them.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-09-13 at 05:02 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #948

Been noticing it all over, not just here....I guess Photobucket's watermarking of images wasn't accomplishing what it was meant to; and now Photobucket is blurring the images and watermarking them.
    Will we need to figure out a new way to make smilies then? Whatever process created Hinjo, both Celias, Minrah both Hilgyas, Andi, Tsukiko (Appearances), Kudzu (the Appearances Count thread version), Thanh, Banjo, Ponchula, Kwesi, Carol, Therkla, Niu, Mateo, Sandy, Roy’s Archon, Boot wight, Loki, the Flumphs, Giantess with Axe and Tattoo, Odin, Rubyrock, Freya and Sif’s high priestesses, Leeky (Appearances), Hank, Shadowdamcer, Zombie Dragon, Laurin (C&LG), Shoulder Pads Guy, Serini, Kraagor, Julia (C&LG) and Qarr (C&LG) should be able to be recreated on the rest (though it would take awhile I imagine).
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

19. - Top - End - #949

It alters the bonus to Spot slightly.

20. - Top - End - #950

It alters the bonus to Spot slightly.
    But not enough to overcome the negative to spot from distance, or come close enough to be overcome by anyone's spot ranks.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

1.152*107 feet, please .

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Yeah, my signature is not thrilled about it. We live in a fun time for imaging hosting.

Peelee’s Lotsey

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you mind if I sig this?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #953

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    1.152*107 feet, please .
    You don't every know how close I was to saying that.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Hey I've seen the sun plenty of times even while it was high up. I saw spots for a while, but the sun can't make you blind from a moment looking at it.
    Blind, maybe not. Permanently damaged vision, with the spots never going away, yes, it's possible, if you look too long.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

25. - Top - End - #955

Yeah, by the rules you probably can't see someone you can shoot with your bow. Even replacing "foot" with "square" still leaves you with a -20 at a hundred feet.
    Funnily enough, I made a sniper character once as a villain and increasing her spot check and mitigating the distance penalty was far more important to the build than increasing the weapon's range increment. There's ways to double how far you can see and a couple of them can be stacked, as well there's lots of nifty ways to boost your spot check into the stratosphere.

She probably still couldn't see the moon though.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    She probably still couldn't see the moon though.
    Moon? What moon?

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Do you mind if I sig this?
    Feel free, it's on the internet, it will live forever whether or not it's sigged.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Feel free, it's on the internet, it will live forever whether or not it's sigged.
    Done and done. Also getting an extended sig because whoops spacing.

-Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ettin in the Playground

I spun off the moon discussion into a a thread discussing how we could build a character capable of seeing the moon.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's safe to change Minrah's unspecified guard class to fighter.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!