New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1468
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Ms. Brightstone isn’t in the fight scene, her daughter (Amyth), is however.

You can see her in the fifth panel right after the battle, clearly not being and older woman and instead being slightly younger than Durkon and Logann.
    Well, Shirra doesn’t look much older -

Oh and also, in the one we’re talking about, we can see Amyth in the picture as a baby in her mother’s arms.
    *squints*

Oh. Yeah, you’re right. Is Amyth’s name in the book version? ‘Cause I’m pretty damn sure it’s never came up in the comic.

Speaking of which, any info relevant to this thread from there?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Oh. Yeah, you’re right. Is Amyth’s name in the book version? ‘Cause I’m pretty damn sure it’s never came up in the comic.
    In 1182a, she and Logann are teasing each other about the eventual home of a mummified osquip head (it makes sense in context), and he refers to her by name.
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2019-12-29 at 02:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    In 1182a, she and Logann are teasing each other about the eventual home of a mummified osquip head (it makes sense in context), and he refers to here by name.
    A bonus page? Well at least we know that now, then.

Any other stuff related to this thread? For that matter, what the heck is an Osquip???

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A bonus page? Well at least we know that now, then.

Any other stuff related to this thread? For that matter, what the heck is an Osquip???
    960a: Elan casts Mass Cure Light Wounds, which we have already seen.

966a: Minor concerns about Haley’s alignment, but nothing serious.

967a: Roy demonstrates non-zero ranks in Spellcraft.

967b: Scruffy gets his paws on a gear during a fight, but I’m not sure it counts as a possession if we never see it again.

989a: Introspection from Haley and Elan; no new abilities or anything.

993a: Mostly Belkar outsmarting himself.

1051a: Nothing new learned.

1052a: Elan casts Major Image.

1169a: Vaarsuvius casts Disintegrate. The nightcrawler attempts a couple spells, but nothing lands.

1170c: Sandy casts Deeper Darkness, but doesn’t have a second one prepared. Minrah casts Searing Light, so she is still Cleric 5+ after being raised.

1182a: Amyth Brightstone gets a name, and we meet Quippie (or Quippy - it’s spelled two different ways).

1185a: Introspection from Durkon.

That’s all I see.

Also, an Osquip is a large (Small-sized, but still big) hairless rat that lives underground. It’s from Races of Faerûn in 3rd edition.

5. - Top - End - #1415

Hey, Scruffster also got a wind-up key, so he got loot drops from two enemies in that fight.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

So, Minrah has is Fighter 1+/Cleric 5+ then, since she may very well have leveled after the last fight. Not much aside from that, sadly.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I’m going through GDGU, and I think it’s possible to draw up a decent stat block for Sahah Kapoor, but I’m not quite sure, she shows that she’s good at a lot of things, but figuring out if I can put numbers on them is a problem.

Spoiler: Stuff she shows off
    Show

1.She is explicitly a Ranger, and uses two weapon-fighting, putting her at 2+
    2. Is often called an excellent tracker, which involves the Track feat (something rangers already get), the survival skill and wisdom, IDK if we can put numbers on that.
    3. Has excellent hearing, which means ranks in listen.
    4. Can talk to animals, while I’d just give it to the spell Speak with Animals usually, she acts as if it’s just a natural ability and is never seen casting it, so IDK, what this is, anyone else have a clue?
    5. Regularly throws her Kukri, which I feel means something, but IDK what.
    6. Summons a whale from a scroll, the closest thing I can find to that is using a scroll of Summon Nature’s Ally III for a large shark, which would make her Wisdom 13+ (and her max level 12 if she needs a scroll), and involve ranks in either Spellcraft or Use Magic Device (or both)
    7. She finds herself riding both a dolphin and a whale, neither of which are suited for riding or have saddles, and quickly mounts them it seems, which I believe makes the DC high enough that she needs ranks in Ride.
    8. She also finds herself using Search to find tracks and Heal for first aiding O-Chul, neither of which I believe need her to have ranks in them but are both on the ranger skill list.
    I don’t know how much (if any) info we can get besides Ranger 2+ with Wis 13+, but I thought I’d show what I’ve found to see if anyone has a clue

Also I’m still obsessing over trying to figure out how exactly Right-Eye one-shotted a treant, there has to be a non-impossible explanation, right?
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

So I’m going through GDGU, and I think it’s possible to draw up a decent stat block for Sahah Kapoor, but I’m not quite sure, she shows that she’s good at a lot of things, but figuring out if I can put numbers on them is a problem.

Spoiler: Stuff she shows off
    Show

1.She is explicitly a Ranger, and uses two weapon-fighting, putting her at 2+
    2. Is often called an excellent tracker, which involves the Track feat (something rangers already get), the survival skill and wisdom, IDK if we can put numbers on that.
    3. Has excellent hearing, which means ranks in listen.
    4. Can talk to animals, while I’d just give it to the spell Speak with Animals usually, she acts as if it’s just a natural ability and is never seen casting it, so IDK, what this is, anyone else have a clue?
    5. Regularly throws her Kukri, which I feel means something, but IDK what.
    6. Summons a whale from a scroll, the closest thing I can find to that is using a scroll of Summon Nature’s Ally III for a large shark, which would make her Wisdom 13+ (and her max level 12 if she needs a scroll), and involve ranks in either Spellcraft or Use Magic Device (or both)
    7. She finds herself riding both a dolphin and a whale, neither of which are suited for riding or have saddles, and quickly mounts them it seems, which I believe makes the DC high enough that she needs ranks in Ride.
    8. She also finds herself using Search to find tracks and Heal for first aiding O-Chul, neither of which I believe need her to have ranks in them but are both on the ranger skill list.
    I don’t know how much (if any) info we can get besides Ranger 2+ with Wis 13+, but I thought I’d show what I’ve found to see if anyone has a clue

Also I’m still obsessing over trying to figure out how exactly Right-Eye one-shotted a treant, there has to be a non-impossible explanation, right?
    Maybe she just didn't have the spell prepared and that's why she used the scroll.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #1419

Maybe she just didn't have the spell prepared and that's why she used the scroll.
    Not gonna fight you on this really, but she says she’s had the scroll since her marriage, and hopes that General Nhek will pay to replace it, it’s valuable to her, I doubt it would be so if she could cast the spell if she thought to prepare it.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

Not gonna fight you on this really, but she says she’s had the scroll since her marriage, and hopes that General Nhek will pay to replace it, it’s valuable to her, I doubt it would be so if she could cast the spell if she thought to prepare it.
    I mean on the one hand she might just not have thought to prepare it, but on the other hand maybe she just can't... eh.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I was looking at the entry for Belkar, and some things bother me. We have as evidence that Belkar took "undead" as a favoured enemy his statement in #957, panel 9 that he's "gotten pretty good" at killing undead, but that doesn't seem to be justified by his current build as posited.

Belkar is listed as Ranger 14 / Barbarian 1. The total level of 15 I agree with, as evidenced when he was deafened by Durkon's Holy Word, as we're pretty sure Durkon was level 14 at that time. We also have as Word of Giant in post #489 that Belkar was Ranger 11 / Barbarian 1 at the time of the Miko Fight.

However, this means that Belkar already picked his favoured enemies at Ranger levels 1, 5, and 10, and unless we're imagining some sort of precognitive powers for Belkar, he didn't know about the Mark of Justice when he hit Ranger 10, so how do we know he picked "undead"? Also, how do we know he never took another level of Barbarian? I don't think we've seen any evidence of Camouflage, so wouldn't listing Belkar as Ranger 11+ / Barbarian 1+ (total level 15) be more in keeping with what we actually know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If memory serves, Belkar may have lost his Barbarian level from being energy drained.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    If memory serves, Belkar may have lost his Barbarian level from being energy drained.
    Well in theory yes, but Belkar probably has at least a half-decent Fort save and I don't think the save DC against permanent level loss was that high?

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, him becoming a barbarian was a little bit of a story line. I would be surprised if it was taken away off screen like that.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Also, him becoming a barbarian was a little bit of a story line. I would be surprised if it was taken away off screen like that.
    Yeah, why would it? Besides, Belkar still considers himself to have a "smattering of barbarian" after that happened in the Shojo dream, so he probably still has that level of Barbarian.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #1426

PaladinGuy

Well in theory yes, but Belkar probably has at least a half-decent Fort save and I don't think the save DC against permanent level loss was that high?

You can always roll a 1.

17. - Top - End - #1427

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    Also, an Osquip is a large (Small-sized, but still big) hairless rat that lives underground. It’s from Races of Faerûn in 3rd edition.
    There was an extensive article on them in Dragon - one of the Monster Hunters series.

18. - Top - End - #1428

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Well, firstly it wasn't his last level at that point. Secondly, as has been pointed out, he said he had barbarian in him later. And third, he appears to Rage twice against Durkula - in the Silence fight that ends with him being chucked down a mountain, and when Scruffy wakes him up and he stakes the Durkon-controlled Durkula.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

More Belkar re-analysis here!

Does anyone remember why Belkar was selected as having Bounding Assault? To my mind, Two-Weapon Pounce seems like a better fit, especially since I'm not at all convinced that Belkar was level 12 when he had his "flawless victory".
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

20. - Top - End - #1430

Just noticed something in HtPGHS, there is one point where O-Chul uses his sword one-handed, it’s only in one panel and I don’t think it’s enough, but is that evidence for him having Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Just noticed something in HtPGHS, there is one point where O-Chul uses his sword one-handed, it’s only in one panel and I don’t think it’s enough, but is that evidence for him having Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword?
    Do we know that O-Chul is using a bastard sword, and not a longsword?

22. - Top - End - #1432

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Yeah, he's using what is clearly a katana (which is a Bastard Sword).
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

DMG p.144, if you need proof.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yah, but if we have “samurai” who are mechanically just fighters, can’t we also have what looks like a katana but....never mind, that way madness lies.

Which would also be a good thread title. We still have a couple of pages left but I’m assuming that the reason the next thread title hasn’t come up again yet is because my “everyone is an Expert” is so clearly the winner that there’s no reason to really discuss alternatives, right?

More seriously there’s probably a case to be made for some kind of ninth-level spell joke but no one really proposed one that had a ton of snap, and unlike the age-16 and driving reference, I feel the level 17 joke is just one step too far removed, plus some negative modifier because of Rich’s dislike of game-breaking spells (otherwise I’d go for some variant of “we can now wish for more scenes that demonstrate stats”).

Anyway, it’s about time to throw any more ideas into the mixed metaphor for consideration before we hit page 50..

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, yes, I'd forgotten about that rule. What page is this panel on?

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    More seriously there’s probably a case to be made for some kind of ninth-level spell joke but no one really proposed one that had a ton of snap, and unlike the age-16 and driving reference, I feel the level 17 joke is just one step too far removed, plus some negative modifier because of Rich’s dislike of game-breaking spells (otherwise I’d go for some variant of “we can now wish for more scenes that demonstrate stats”).
    What about... Wishing we could take back that one level fighter dip

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Class and Level Geekery XVII - Cast Miracle to correct wrong entries.
    Class and Level Geekery XVII - Wishing for more information.
    Class and Level Geekery XVII - Roy wishes that fighters got more than +1 BAB for this level.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2020-01-06 at 10:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1438

Right, yes, I'd forgotten about that rule. What page is this panel on?
    Page 3 of HtPGHS (AKA Page 66 of GDGU).
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground

Yah, but if we have “samurai” who are mechanically just fighters, can’t we also have what looks like a katana but....never mind, that way madness lies.
    Also, we've seen them on-panel together.

Sorcerers get ninth-level spells at 18, so we do have time (I still like "Can FINALLY Speak Unto the Masses"....)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ettin in the Playground

Class and Level Geekery XVII - When You Wish Upon a Stat
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)