New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Awesome, thanks! I got the impression that there are a fair number of alternate archetypes or archetypesque options in 3.5e but they often aren't available in the SRD online? I just kind of assumed there might be something like that O-Chul has.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    There are some options for alternative class features, yes. I don't know of any off the top of my head that would allow a Paladin to substitute WIS for CHA, but it also wouldn't particularly surprise me if there was such an alternative class feature/variant class or a feat that allowed a Paladin to do so somewhere.
    If "somewhere" includes Dragon magazine, the feat is called Serenity.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #243

WolfInSheepsClothing

Is there any indication of Redcloak’s int? He generally comes across as having more than the average cleric/person but I can’t think of much specific.

4. - Top - End - #244

GreataxeFighterGirl

Purely from the comic, I would guess he'd be around Roy or Haley's level.

It also says Xykon has ~15, so that should provide some sort of base reference. I feel like it's been concretely mentioned somewhere that RC's smarter/tactically knows more than his boss, but I can't pinpoint. (so just ignore it, I suppose)

5. - Top - End - #245

WolfInSheepsClothing

Cylinder should get iirc +3 pts for age and +2 for lich, so ~15 if he started at 10,but he was a dumbass when he was young so I wouldn’t be surprised if he started life with a negative int modifier. It’s hard to compare because X and RC have very different approaches, with RC being extremely methodical and Xykon not really caring. Cylinder still has the moron’s just blast away approach as his default even though he’s gained a decent amount of intelligence. Overall I think Redcloak has higher int than Xykon, but not by a huge margin.

I would guess people have different takes based on their relationship, my interpretation is that when it comes to manipulating each other Xykon is smart enough to come up with a decent plan but his strongest point is using his extremely high charisma to emotionally manipulate Redcloak and keep him where he wants him in that sense. Whereas Redcloak’s strength is putting his higher int/wis scores into long term planning.

6. - Top - End - #246

GreataxeFighterGirl

Sooo...15+, then?

But yeah, I definitely get the "emotionally manipulative" sht-eating vibe from Xykon. He literally traps souls out of spite.

In honesty, this might be a passable metric -- it's genuinely almost impossible to imagine X thinking three steps ahead. But I don't know if the intelligence is because of their Lawful or Chaotic alignments or just raw scores.

7. - Top - End - #247

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think that both shows RC is a pretty smart strategist and that Xykon doesn’t really care about strategy to start with. I can imagine Xykon being as low as 13 based on his pre-lichification behavior (spoiler alert I guess younger Xykon’s evil plans were easily foiled, and teen Xykon failed math 3 times). At least 14 for RC seems like a reasonable guess especially if that’s Roy’s lower limit (I generally get the impression Redcloak is at least as smart as Roy if not more so).

Redcloak seems to use a lot of knowledge skills for a cleric, but that could just be him prioritizing those things. I don’t think we’ve seen it but I’d be shocked if he didn’t have a very high knowledge (religion) given that religion is very interesting and important to him and he’s also a nerd.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    Oh, I assumed it was the name of a particular psionic power.
    No, but I think in 3.5 DND it was a term more used for psionicists due to their ability to effectively cast more high-level powers than their arcane counterparts at the cost of not having anything in reserve. A level 20 wizard, no accounting for other stuff like intelligence boosts, "only" got 4 level 9 spells, while a similar calculated level 20 psionicist could effectively cast the equivalent of 17-20, depending how much you boosted the power. The Psionicist suffered from the fact that they couldn't really cast anything else while the wizard would still have 32 non-level 9 spells, and their spells auto-scaled their damage unlike the psionicist's powers.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Why is 670 credited for Xykon's knowing of the Mass Hold Person spell when 11 comics earlier 659 he casts the spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Awesome, thanks! I got the impression that there are a fair number of alternate archetypes or archetypesque options in 3.5e but they often aren't available in the SRD online? I just kind of assumed there might be something like that O-Chul has.
    Well, there is the whole Book of 9 Swords, which was a serious attempt to power up melee types so they weren't completely out-paced by full casters. Otherwise, you're looking at the PHB2 or DMG2 for the basics, or the Rules Compendium for a lot of stuff being kind of collated together. And there is a LOT of stuff, because 3X really had a problem with splatbloat.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, there is the whole Book of 9 Swords, which was a serious attempt to power up melee types so they weren't completely out-paced by full casters. Otherwise, you're looking at the PHB2 or DMG2 for the basics, or the Rules Compendium for a lot of stuff being kind of collated together. And there is a LOT of stuff, because 3X really had a problem with splatbloat.
    It wasn't a problem, it could quit any time!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #252

And it kept claiming that right up until it ODed on the stuff.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Banned

And it kept claiming that right up until it ODed on the stuff.
    Didn't prevent it from Weekending at Bernies on for another decade and a half.

14. - Top - End - #254

To be fair, the original 3 LBBs are still swanning about, so it's not like that's unusual or anything.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Spamalot in the Playground

I see we already named Durkon's new hammer, but what are the stats on it? Anyone know? (I'm guessing +4 or +5 Returning Shocking Burst at a minimum?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I see we already named Durkon's new hammer, but what are the stats on it? Anyone know? (I'm guessing +4 or +5 Returning Shocking Burst at a minimum?)
    As far as we can guess, the hammer is a Hammer of Thunderbolts (ctrl+f to find it).

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    As far as we can guess, the hammer is a Hammer of Thunderbolts (ctrl+f to find it).
    I mean, it could be a Hammer of Thunderbolts, but there's no stun effect visible in the comic, so it could just be a Dwarven Thrower with a lightning enchantment.

Powers &8^]

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Hammer of Thunderbolts (ctrl+f to find it).
    Or click here.

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    I mean, it could be a Hammer of Thunderbolts, but there's no stun effect visible in the comic, so it could just be a Dwarven Thrower with a lightning enchantment.
    Undead are immune to stunning, though; I'm not sure what effect we'd see. (Although I wonder if a nightcrawler's "Owww!" can drown out a "great noise, like a clap of thunder".)
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-04-01 at 12:37 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #259
    Colossus in the Playground

Can we use the breath weapon to give V minimum ranks in concentration? Itd be 17+damage dealt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Cone of cold at the nightcrawler’s CL 25 deals min 15 points of damage. 17+15=32, meaning 12+ (not accounting for any CON penalty or possibly feats)

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

I assume that Minrah will have her deceased status revoked as soon as she next appears, even though it was made explicitly clear that she should reappear?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Or click here.

Undead are immune to stunning, though; I'm not sure what effect we'd see. (Although I wonder if a nightcrawler's "Owww!" can drown out a "great noise, like a clap of thunder".)
    A hammer of thunderbolts doesn't have a lightning enchantment nor a returning enchantment.

Maybe it really is Mjolnir?

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sm3gl View Post
    A hammer of thunderbolts doesn't have a lightning enchantment nor a returning enchantment.

Maybe it really is Mjolnir?
    Not unless Thor himself is carrying around some random hammer.

Also, the first line says "This +3 Large returning Warhammer..."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-01 at 09:06 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

The Hammer of Thunderbolts probably is inspired by Mjolnir, just not the Mjolnir.

Also two questions: I thought Returning weapons took a round to come back, so does that mean either the Giant handwaved that or this has an improved version of that ability?; and if this really is a Hammer of Thunderbolts, how the heck is Durkon using it in one hand?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Spamalot in the Playground

Isn't that Large? How is he wielding it one-handed?

EDIT: Just saw the same question asked above me
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-04-02 at 09:48 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

A medium character can wield a large weapon with a penalty to their attacks.
    But those penalties are more than made up for with the stacking strength bonuses from the gloves and belt of strength.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-04-02 at 09:52 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

A medium character can wield a large weapon with a penalty to their attacks.
    But those penalties are more than made up for with the stacking strength bonuses from the gloves and belt of strength.
    The Belt and Gloves do not stack.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    The Belt and Gloves do not stack.
    They do when wielding the Hammer of Thunderbolts. It is one of its properties.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #269

Honestly, how many times have we quoted the rules text for the Hammer of Thunderbolts by now? It's got to be over a dozen.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, how many times have we quoted the rules text for the Hammer of Thunderbolts by now? It's got to be over a dozen.
    Trust me, I didn't count.

Anyone notice that if the Frost Giant ambush occurred after Durkon had been revived (choose whatever reason you want to explain how or why that would happen) that they would be a minor threat with a couple of buffs since Durkon could fling the hammer and OHKO each of them, if one at a time?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-02 at 09:38 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad