New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Shun the Light, It's WoW Classic Time

So is anyone else going back to the nostalgia well for this one?
    Relive the old days by WALKING to the Scarlet Monestary too broke for a mount?
    Already have your names reserved and several IVs of caffeinated saline?

I think I settled on a Shaman on one of the RP servers, but can't decide on profession.
    There's leatherworking for obvious reasons, alchemy for money and price gouging those dirty rogues on herbs, or blacksmith-weaponsmith-axe master to get an ARCANITE REAPER (ho!)
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Default Re: Shun the Light, It's WoW Classic Time

i considered it, but one of my gaming guilds posted pics of server queues in the 20k's.....

last time i reupped for normal wow, i went from 0-100 in like a week of casual play. i much preferred the vanilla wow experience where exploring actually meant something, and an epic mount was an actual achievement, but i have a hard time justifying to myself a game subscription for wow at all.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

3. - Top - End - #3

Highest queue I've seen is 700+ minutes for Whitemane. Imagine waiting in line 12 hours to play WoW, then server maintenance starts.

Last night I rolled a toon on one of the new last minute servers just to get on and play. Made it about 5 levels with a new Warrior, debating if I want to continue with it or do something else. I know I'll be doing a Tauren Shaman when I can find time to play with my friends, but I am second guessing the wisdom of making a Warrior as my "I want to play around solo" character.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

If we can say anything about this launch, it's that it's an authentic Classic WoW launch. XD

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I am second guessing the wisdom of making a Warrior as my "I want to play around solo" character.
    Warriors are hard to play solo so if you're already second guessing it you probably might want to roll a Hunter, Warlock or Druid instead. No shame, either, since every class is needed and can have fun times in world PvP or grouping.

If I had the time and money to put into Classic WoW I'd probably try to be the Hunter groups actually want to have, a terror in world PvP, and not the dreaded character who pulls whole instances with his pet.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2019-08-27 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

At least you'll gear up fast, because All loot is Hunter loot in Classic.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    At least you'll gear up fast, because All loot is Hunter loot in Classic.
    Let me tell you a story.
    Back in original vanilla I raided as a hunter. Now, I had one of those anime-style rivalries with one of our dps warriors. One of his complaints was that I managed to get a Zin'Rohk (I needs me my Raptor strikes). So what I did was start squirreling away DKP and convinced him to take an Eye of Ragnaros.

So, that means I was always ahead of him on DKP and as a veteran hunter compared to newer warriors, I was allowed to be on the list for an Akshandi. I had my coup set up. and it. never. dropped.

Also, almost done with the starter zone. Time to see what the "gogogo" crowd does when exposed to RFC.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Friend of mine has been dipping his toes into Classic but he says he's having a hard time getting into the feeling.

Everytime he gets going someone shouts from the bathroom "daaadddyyy I need a wipe" or there's two kids wrestling and screaming bloody murder in his gameroom.

Apparently Wow is no longer quite the same game it was.

He plans on complaining to Blizzard that they've bodged the implementation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have fond memories of vanilla WOW, but know better than to look at it through rose coloured glasses.

Unfortunately there are a large number of people out there (not here though) who don't. They are very vocal, lets just say, in their belief that somehow classic will destroy the retail version of wow, that Blizz will drop the modern version like a hot potato the instant they see classic in action and that it will bring back all those past players who left because of changes to the game and that people want a hard core grinding game and deride the retail version as casual ezy-mode.

Yeah, there are people out there who actual believe that.

The funny thing is that wow itself was derided as casual ezy-mode at release by player so of other mmos. How things change. And also, up to the end of WOTLK, the high point in wow subscriptions, 100 million people had joined the game but only 10 million had been subscribed at any one time. Early wow had a lot of player turnover.

I haven't played wow since mid-legion - I managed to finally kick the habit. I started back in the beta of wow and have well over 365 days of /played time. Too much time really. But I do plan on some day having a look at classic, just for the nostalgia of seeing the pre-cataclysm world once more.

There are a lot of changes since them I'm glad were mad - such as removing the ridiculous hybrid tax, fixing inventory management, moving things like mounts, pets, tabards etc to their own inventories, improving the flow of questing and so on.

10. - Top - End - #10

I've been thinking on and off for months about getting back into Classic WoW, but in the end decided not to do it for several reasons.

First, I spent way too much time playing WoW back in the vanilla and BC eras, and getting back into it now would either result in very little time for the game or a negative impact on other parts of my life and, frankly, WoW isn't worth it. Plus, even if it didn't end up negatively impacting my job and health (which it almost certainly would) it would also mean shelving all of the other games and social activities I have too. As fun as raiding was at the time, I don't need to deal with "well, I can't do anything Tuesday and Thursday nights, cause those are raid nights"

Second, the lack of balance fixes. Vanilla WoW was horribly balanced between the classes, and I have no desire to go back into that "Well, you're an X so you must do Y" thing. I'm all for people doing whatever they can to help in a group fight, but hour(s) of spamming the same one or two abilities over and over and over, or alternatively having people screaming at you that you don't know how to play your class, I don't need that anymore. And then the terrible itemization in end-game gear if you try to do anything outside of the "stock" role. If we were looking at BC or Wrath where things were more balanced then it would be a more attractive proposition for me, but not vanilla.

Third, 40-man raids are awful. Just awful. Sure, there's an amazing epic feeling the first couple times, and then it devolves quickly into waiting around for ages for everyone to show up and then you've got a bunch of trolls or night elves jumping constantly like drugged up rabbits and shouting on vent (or I guess discord now). And don't get me started on waiting weeks if not months to get some drops because there's at least a half dozen other people who want the thing you want even if the boss happens to provide it. 20s were somewhat better, but even then a bit big for my taste and I've done ZG and AQ20 more than enough already. I really think many of the 10-man raids in later expansions were the best ones.

Now, you might say "well, you're just talking about the raids, there's plenty of other stuff", and I'm actually going to disagree there. There *was* plenty of other stuff, but not anymore, at least for me. I've no desire for PvP, both due to balance issues and the fact that you need either raid gear or to do a ridiculous grind if you don't want to get stomped. Professions, especially compared to BC and WotLK were pretty bad. The dungeons I mostly like but I've done them all a bunch of times both at release and since then and even then they still run into the problem that vanilla WoW is a solved game. Exploration, same thing, I've seen most of it and also as I said at the beginning if I don't spend tons of time in WoW there's plenty of other game worlds to explore as well. And the vanilla rep grinds were miserable. Screw you, furbolgs, I'm not doing that again!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm interested in reliving my nostalgia like many others, but I'm waiting until the hype dies down a bit and I can actually play. Even if you down the login screen boss so you can actually play, people are literally queueing up in-game to be able to get certain quests done. Impressive, certainly, but not my idea of engaging gameplay.

I'm also not that keen to reach endgame for the reasons Ailurus mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I only ever played classic towards the end, I started one or two patches before BC came out, and played through a chunk of Wrath. I've really got no interest at all in going back for a number of reasons, but it's both entertaining and enlightening to see why people go back to it, and the things that happen when they do, like the quest queues and such.

So its fascinating from an outside perspective, but I'm not going to touch it myself.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Considered it strongly, but ultimately made a pass for two reasons

1. I simply don't have the time to dedicate, that i believe it deserves. (... then again, I'm fairly bingeing on osrs which makes even the moderate grinds in wow classic look downright casual)
    2. Even if I had, there's probably enough other games that I enjoy too much for it to get the time it deserves, and likely would be ahead, either due to already invested time, or a different type of gaming experience which is more to my liking (moderately complex strategy games).

Still very happy that it happened through even if I'm uncertain if i see myself throwing enough into it to get reasonably 'rewarded' for it in terms of satisfaction
    Last edited by Sian; 2019-08-29 at 01:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the universe is trying to tell me something with the timing, since WoW Classic came out right after the revival of City of Heroes, the game that kept me from getting into WoW in the early days. Still, I'm glad that WoW Classic is turning out to be so massively popular, since if there's one thing a CoH fan can relate to, it's not being allowed to play the game you enjoyed.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My thing is that while I loved WoW classic, I'm not looking to play WoW classic *again*, what I want to see is new games which actually successfully incorporate what made classic WoW great: A detailed, well realized setting, fun, engaging gameplay, and good, rewarding progression, which doesn't simply rely on repeating the same 7 to 10 maps over and over again (Hello, Destiny and The Division!).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

There is only one reason why I never actually return to WoW: Levelling alone. If there is any place in the WoW universe where new players are levelling their toon, I want in.

So um, is there? Is Classic actually full of lowbies?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

People are largely in the early 30s and of course starting areas on themy server.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    People are largely in the early 30s and of course starting areas on themy server.
    Yea, I figured. Since I'm not paying close attention, I'm generally always late on the ball =)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Let me tell you a story.
    Back in original vanilla I raided as a hunter. Now, I had one of those anime-style rivalries with one of our dps warriors. One of his complaints was that I managed to get a Zin'Rohk (I needs me my Raptor strikes). So what I did was start squirreling away DKP and convinced him to take an Eye of Ragnaros.

So, that means I was always ahead of him on DKP and as a veteran hunter compared to newer warriors, I was allowed to be on the list for an Akshandi. I had my coup set up. and it. never. dropped.

Also, almost done with the starter zone. Time to see what the "gogogo" crowd does when exposed to RFC.
    As someone who played a warrior in classic wow, this story just seems like karma to me.

I'll pick up classic and play around a bit for nostalgia, but I doubt I'll play it seriously.

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGuy

So Classic has been up only 5 days and already MC has been cleared by one guild and they took down raggy on the first attempt.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    So Classic has been up only 5 days and already MC has been cleared by one guild and they took down raggy on the first attempt.
    Gosh, it's almost like all our predictions about the classic raiding difficulty being a joke compared to the raids of today were sound or something!

(I believe they had some folks in the raid that weren't even max level?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

22. - Top - End - #22

Just for giggles, I went and looked at Method's timeline of World Firsts. In order of release-to-death reflecting max available difficulty:

Spoiler: Spoilered for Length
    Show
    Classic
    Onyxia - 69 days
    Ragnaros - 154 days
    Nefarian - 77 days
    C'thun - 113 days
    Kel'Thuzad - 90 days

Burning Crusade
    Gruul - 19 days
    Magtheridon - 40 days
    Vashj - 73 days
    Kael'Thas - 130 days
    Archimonde - 26 days
    Illidan - 21 days
    Kil'Jaeden - 62 days**

Wrath of the Lich King
    Kel'Thuzad 2.0 - 3 days
    Sartharion - 9 days
    Malygos - 3 days
    Yogg'Saron - 85 days
    Anub'Arak - 7 days
    Arthas - 46 days**
    Halion - 8 days

Cataclysm
    Nefarian (BWD) - 27 days
    Sinestra - 38 days
    Al'Akir - 42 days
    Ragnaros (FL) - 14 days
    Deathwing - 14 days

Mists of Pandaria
    Mogu Emperors - 3 days
    Empress Shek'zeer - 5 days
    Sha of Fear - 5 days
    Lei Shen - 14 days
    Garrosh Hellscream - 14 days

Warlords of Draenor:
    Imperator Mar'Gok - 4 days
    Blackhand - 10 days
    Archimonde (Hellfire Citadel) - 16 days

Legion
    Xavius - 18 Hours
    Helya - 3 days
    Gul'dan - 11 days
    Kil'Jaeden (Tomb of Sargeras) - 19 days
    Argus the Unmaker - 8 days

Battle for Azeroth
    G'huun - 8 days
    Jaina Proudmoore - 7 days
    Uu'nat - 9 days
    Queen Azshara - 12 days

**Noted as being gated, survival length artificially extended.

It's certainly the shortest lifespan Ragnaros has ever had, on par with most of the easiest bosses - so that does imply the average player skill level has improved drastically since Original Classic. Specifically, he's the 7th quickest boss kill of all time. Though at least he's not the quickest kill...poor Xavius.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-09-02 at 10:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    There is only one reason why I never actually return to WoW: Levelling alone. If there is any place in the WoW universe where new players are levelling their toon, I want in.

So um, is there? Is Classic actually full of lowbies?
    I'm still level 10 in my highest character and there's a bunch of people at the same level as me still, to the point where it's pretty easy to just invite people to group who are doing the same quests.

As someone who never played classic wow I'm enjoying the chance to get to explore and figure things out and what not. Raiding is something I never plan to do, but it seems like there's probably well over a hundred hours of content just wandering around going all the different quests and dungeons.

24. - Top - End - #24

Part of it is probably raid difficulty - after all, most MC bosses do only have a handful of mechanics ("dispel the bad stuff" and "don't stand in the fire" solves the majority of the fights), but you can't discount the practice, though. On the one hand, yes it was only 5 days (which is impressive given that they had to go from 1 to around 60 in that time). But on the other hand, people have been practicing leveling and the MC fights for over a decade. Sure, the practice may not have been 100% accurate, but outside of specific gear-check bosses I would expect any group that has been rehearsing a fight for years to clear it first try even with minor inaccuracies in the trial runs.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Well, also it was cleared by a group of people have been speedrunning this exact content on private servers for years, and who abused bugs that are now patched to level quickly. It's like saying Dark Souls is easy because you can speedrun it.

The "difficulty" people wanted from classic was never the raid bosses anyway. It was the fact that the game doesn't spoon feed you and you have to actually interact with the world instead of treating it as a theme park. This builds community. I played for 4 hours last night and I've already grouped more and made more friends than I did in 60 levels when I went back to BFA a few months ago.

So yeah, if you intentionally exploit bugs to avoid the parts of the game everyone was looking forward to, then it's not very good.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I think the universe is trying to tell me something with the timing, since WoW Classic came out right after the revival of City of Heroes, the game that kept me from getting into WoW in the early days. Still, I'm glad that WoW Classic is turning out to be so massively popular, since if there's one thing a CoH fan can relate to, it's not being allowed to play the game you enjoyed.
    THANK. YOU. So much.

I had completely missed out on the news about public community-managed servers being up and running. I'm downloading Homecoming as I type.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #27

It's just ironic commentary on the nostalgia goggles of Classic raid bosses being 'actually hard' instead of the supposed faceroll easymode that is modern endgame raiding, apparently including Mythic difficulties sometimes. Classic Ragnaros was an anomaly not even matched by his contemporaries, only C'thun (who was initially overtuned to be impossible) and Classic Kel'Thuzad came close to his endurance. There's a definite downward trend of kill times, but I think that's from the narrower group of people attempting it - guilds like Method, Ascension, Paragon are for all intent and purposes full-time professional raiders. Wow's larger gross player base means there are more 'casuals', but that tiny fraction of hardcores have becoming increasingly hardcore.

I agree that most people going back to classic are looking for the community, not the 'difficulty'.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Am I the only one that is annoyed by the whole racing of world firsts?

I played a lot of Korea grinders back in the day so EXP/h is a metric I grew up with and even had extensions for installed. But hurrrying to max level discounting enjoyment is somehow a very annoying school of thought that actually devolved Wow into that weird theme park rush job it .is today.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Am I the only one that is annoyed by the whole racing of world firsts?

I played a lot of Korea grinders back in the day so EXP/h is a metric I grew up with and even had extensions for installed. But hurrrying to max level discounting enjoyment is somehow a very annoying school of thought that actually devolved Wow into that weird theme park rush job it .is today.
    I would be annoyed if I was somehow forced to participate in it. Since I'm not I don't care. They can do whatever they enjoy, even though I personally think they're crazy.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I would be annoyed if I was somehow forced to participate in it. Since I'm not I don't care. They can do whatever they enjoy, even though I personally think they're crazy.
    Funny thing is, I kinda tried that with the launch of Aion. My friends were all in this super ambitious guild where first of all I had to roll a specific class the GM deemed absolutely necessary. The main problem was... every other player was as bad as I was at the game and there was no team effort aside from a small 4 man and a husband and wife combo.

People gave me "advice" that was terrible. I played a Templar, which was supposed to be the tankiest class. They made me spec it out like a protection paladin/warrior. Which made me generate so little threat in dungeons mobs always ignored me. Which slowed my levelling to a grinding halt. There was a good focus on PvP so me doing no damage, no CC and being basically a big chunk of HP doing nothing wasn't very healthy either. On the evening of the second day our highest level pushed 36 (of 50 levels) and became annoyed by how slow the others were (husband/wife were 33 and 32, I was I think 25). Some people of the top guild pushed 40 by that time. Could've been very fun if we played together and people actually informed each other.I then rerolled to sorcerer (basically a choice of fire or frost mage) and later got my templar to at least the beginner's pvp set on max level.

I couldn't fathom playing another character that is sorely needed for raiding or pvp but levels like a truck that you would push uphill. I basically had to play a prot specced Paladin geared with exclusively stamina/block gear and a ****ty onehander for two weeks.