A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Evening light still shines down from the sky as the day begins to draw to a close. The road on which you are travelling is dusty and dry. It hasn't been raining much for this time of year, and the wagon ruts are wel-defined and deep. The road itself leads to Kestelring, and though you each may have your own reasons for being on the road to the capital of the duchy of Cardorin, you've found safety in numbers in the form of a trade caravan which is also headed towards the city. A trio of wagons loaded with goods are also headed for Kestelring, and the sounds of rattling wheels, while incessant after a day's march, have been accompanying you for the past few days. Sitting at the reins of the leading wagon is the owner of the small caravan, a youthful high-elven woman by the name of Elora Robalar. Even though few of you have made the entire journey from elsewhere with her, she was more than happy to have a few capable faces travelling alongside her wagons. All she asks is that you help keep an eye out on the roads, though even she admits that this is more out of habitual paranoia than any real threat. Despite this, she still allows you to camp with her when she stops for the night and has even extended generous offers of food and wine as thanks in lieu of proper payment. "I might not be paying you with coin to journey with us, but what's a trip on the road without good company and a few extra pairs of eyes to make sure things stay safe? Besides, when I get to Kestelring and I've sold what I've got at the markets there, I'll have enough to pay you proper, if that would settle any debts I may have accrued."

    With this in mind, the rest of the journey isn't supposed to be too much further. Elora has promised that you will see the stone walls of the city by nightfall, and from there you can each go your separate ways.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to introduce yourselves and get settled. I've provisionally placed you on the map, feel free to determine where you actually want to be. Elora is riding at the front of the foremost wagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    S.E. England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    "I might not be paying you with coin to journey with us, but what's a trip on the road without good company and a few extra pairs of eyes to make sure things stay safe? Besides, when I get to Kestelring and I've sold what I've got at the markets there, I'll have enough to pay you proper, if that would settle any debts I may have accrued."
    Col had spent the last half-hour walking alongside the lead cart while speaking with Elora, but at the mention of payment, he waves his hand in polite refusal. "Please, do not mention it! Your hospitality on this journey has been reward enough," he replies, speaking in the lazy tones of one who has never had to want for coin. "Besides, there's not exactly been much trouble to look out for, has there? One could hardly expect payment for staring at an empty road!"

    And the wine you've been giving us really is quite good - I wonder where you got it from? he adds mentally, while returning to his position at the front of the Caravan. As he walks, Col casts his mind back to the last time he made this journey. There'd been no skins of wine around the campfire then, to be sure - not under the strict discipline of old Sister Hyacinth. But then the weather had been so dreadful, there hadn't really been much by way of campfires either...

    Suddenly recalling that, payment or not, he was supposed to be keeping look-out, he casts his eyes over the land ahead - keeping an eye out more for anything of interest than any real signs of danger. As he scans the horizon, he strikes up an idle conversation with Opal to pass the time:-

    "We shouldn't be far now I gather. I don't know about you, but I am certainly looking forward to spending the night within Kestelring's walls again - it feels like an age since I was last there! And it will be good to see Uncle Malcolm - that is to say, Lord Setwall - and all the family once again.

    How about yourself? Do you have friends in the city?"


    Spoiler: Rolling
    Show
    Wisdom (perception) to scout the road ahead: (1d20+3)[17]
    Colborn "Col" Setwall - Lv. 3 Human Monk | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Raam Hope - Tiefling NPC Commoner | IC | OOC | Sheet

    Is futile to argue. Nod. Get treat.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    "I might not be paying you with coin to journey with us, but what's a trip on the road without good company and a few extra pairs of eyes to make sure things stay safe? Besides, when I get to Kestelring and I've sold what I've got at the markets there, I'll have enough to pay you proper, if that would settle any debts I may have accrued."
    The grandmotherly Dwarf simply smiles and shakes her head in slight amusement.

    "Nonsense, dearie. Just having some company on the road is more than enough to satisfy this old woman."

    Opal chuckles softly. It was a very generous offer, and one that she might have taken in her younger days. But with years and experience come wisdom, and she knew that there were more important things than money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slingsby View Post

    "We shouldn't be far now I gather. I don't know about you, but I am certainly looking forward to spending the night within Kestelring's walls again - it feels like an age since I was last there! And it will be good to see Uncle Malcolm - that is to say, Lord Setwall - and all the family once again.

    How about yourself? Do you have friends in the city?"
    "Friends? No. But family."

    A warm smile spreads across Opal's wrinkled face.

    "My youngest son lives there, with his wife and children. Last time I was in town was when his oldest daughter got married. Oh... Must have been about a decade ago, or so. I'll be glad to see them again."

    She sighs contentedly, reminiscing idly on fond memories.
    Red Sun: a D&D 5e setting based on DC comics!

    Red Sun Redux: a revised and revamped version that includes the new content released since the first version of the setting.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Winston Verne — human fighter/rogue

    Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    "I might not be paying you with coin to journey with us, but what's a trip on the road without good company and a few extra pairs of eyes to make sure things stay safe? Besides, when I get to Kestelring and I've sold what I've got at the markets there, I'll have enough to pay you proper, if that would settle any debts I may have accrued."
    Winston smiles as the others refuse payment, and tries a little charm to avoid seeming too selfish. "While I agree with the others that you owe us no debts, I can't say I'd refuse a token of appreciation." The twinkle in his eye conveys a playfulness in the response—he knows the value of coin enough to accept it, but there really is no obligation to offer it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slingsby View Post

    "We shouldn't be far now I gather. I don't know about you, but I am certainly looking forward to spending the night within Kestelring's walls again - it feels like an age since I was last there! And it will be good to see Uncle Malcolm - that is to say, Lord Setwall - and all the family once again."
    At the sound of the Setwall name, Winston's eyes light up. Now that's an opportunity, landing a noble client for regular business! Besides, I wouldn't mind getting a look inside that Setwall estate...

    "Ah, so you're a Setwall! I'm Winston Verne, of the Verne Trading Company? We've put together a lovely collection of goods from distant corners of the realm; I'd be happy to personally assist you any time you're looking for, say, a fine gift or display piece. My brother Quentin's incredibly diligent in appraising and authenticating our collection—we can guarantee your satisfaction, and I know integrity matters to the Setwall family."
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    5e Quick, ad-hoc task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monsters — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    1 monster v. 1 PC; for 4 v. 1 Solos — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 25 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Most people dream of the past when they sleep and wish they could see the future. For Lucky Duckets, it was quite the opposite. As the old halfling snoozes in his seat on the caravan, he dreams in watercolor flashes of things he knows will come. Never enough to claim he knows the future, but always just too much to be surprised. What the old wizard truly wished, though, was for any similar flashes of the past. His home. His darling. But dreams of nostalgia were apparently reserved for others.

    Portent 1 - (1d20)[12]
    Portent 2 - (1d20)[17]

    As the wagon rolls over a particularly large stone, the sleeping little man is jostled awake. "Me charms!" he calls out as he braces himself with one arm and reaches out with the other to stabilize himself. Looking around and realizing everything is fine, he sheepishly smiles and settles back into his seat. "What a scare, eh Felicity?" As if summoned by his voice, a small weasel slinks out of Lucky's vest and curls up in his lap. As the halfling tries to shut his eyes again, the weasel pokes her head up into the air and listens to the conversations going on around them and anything else she can hear. While most would assume the wizard to be sleeping again, those folks would be mistaken...and likely unfamiliar with just how much a wizard reading the thoughts of his familiar looks like an old man napping.

    Perception - (1d20+3)[9]
    Perception - (1d20+3)[17]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2019-02-08 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Elora beams at the refusals of her hard earned coin, and continues to guide her wagon. As she bumps over a rock and jostles Duck awake, she's quick to apologize. "Sorry there, Master Duckets. The road can be a difficult place to catch a nap." She raises an eyebrow as the halfling appears to go back to sleep, but turns her eyes back to the road.

    Spoiler: Col, Felicity (and by extension, Duck)
    Show
    You can see/hear movement in the bushes ahead.
    Spoiler: Col
    Show
    You can make out the form of three goblins crouching in the bushes. They each have shortbows in their hands, and all have their eyes trained on the wagons as they slowly roll closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    S.E. England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Quote Originally Posted by josienoms View Post
    "Friends? No. But family."

    A warm smile spreads across Opal's wrinkled face.

    "My youngest son lives there, with his wife and children. Last time I was in town was when his oldest daughter got married. Oh... Must have been about a decade ago, or so. I'll be glad to see them again."

    She sighs contentedly, reminiscing idly on fond memories.
    A decade ago? And I thought that I'd been gone for a long time...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel View Post
    "Ah, so you're a Setwall! I'm Winston Verne, of the Verne Trading Company? We've put together a lovely collection of goods from distant corners of the realm; I'd be happy to personally assist you any time you're looking for, say, a fine gift or display piece. My brother Quentin's incredibly diligent in appraising and authenticating our collection—we can guarantee your satisfaction, and I know integrity matters to the Setwall family."
    "Oh! Verne you say? Yes, the name does ring a bell... It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Master Verne. Of course, I myself have little need for display pieces and the like these days, but my cousins per-"

    Col stops suddenly at the sight of movement ahead, before resuming at a noticeably slower pace. With one hand, he subtly signals to Elora to slow the carts. Taking care not to raise his voice just yet, he speaks to his companions:- "We have company ahead - there are goblins hiding in those bushes. Three of them by my count, and they've got bows. What do you think - should we try and flush them out?"
    Colborn "Col" Setwall - Lv. 3 Human Monk | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Raam Hope - Tiefling NPC Commoner | IC | OOC | Sheet

    Is futile to argue. Nod. Get treat.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Winston Verne — human fighter/rogue

    "Goblins this close to Kestelring?!" Winston speaks at a low level, but his surprise is still clear. "How do you propose flushing them out?" He slows down his mule, Eddie, and peers into the bushes, looking for these goblins. At the same time, he quietly draws one of his daggers.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+5)[10]
    If he spots the goblins, he'll begin taking the Dodge action until further notice, readying himself to move aside.
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    5e Quick, ad-hoc task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monsters — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    1 monster v. 1 PC; for 4 v. 1 Solos — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 25 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    S.E. England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    "How? Well, I was thinking that a direct charge might panic them..." Col trails off, recognising that this might not be the brilliant master strategy that Winston was hoping to hear. "Unless we can find some other way of driving them out of those bushes?"
    Colborn "Col" Setwall - Lv. 3 Human Monk | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Raam Hope - Tiefling NPC Commoner | IC | OOC | Sheet

    Is futile to argue. Nod. Get treat.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    "Goblins're small, weak, and cowardly. The best way to scatter them would be meeting them with overwhelming force. Do you think a bear would be overkill? Or would a wolf be enough to scare 'em out of their skins?"

    Opal grins, and her old joints crack as she stretches, preparing herself for battle.
    Red Sun: a D&D 5e setting based on DC comics!

    Red Sun Redux: a revised and revamped version that includes the new content released since the first version of the setting.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Winston Verne — human fighter/rogue

    "Are you saying you can conjure a bear or a wolf?! Well, then, I think it's time for overwhelming force!"
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    5e Quick, ad-hoc task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monsters — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    1 monster v. 1 PC; for 4 v. 1 Solos — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 25 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Elora quietly slows down her cart, and the others behind her follow suit. The goblins, however, seem to notice the sudden hesitation at approaching what should appear to you as an empty road. They grip their bows a bit tighter, and brace themselves for whatever will happen next.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Initiative
    • Duck <--- We are here
    • Opal
    • Col
    • Goblins
    • Winston

    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-02-13 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    The old halfling opens his eyes, gathers his wits, and tucks Felicity back into the folds of his robes. "Stay safe, me bonnie," he whispers to her as he gives a gentle, loving tap once she is securely stowed away.

    While the others discuss different strategic options, Lucky takes it all in. With a deep breath, he stands and raises his arms as if gathering something from the air.

    "Oi, gobbie lads!" his small, elderly voice calls out. "Ye've got 3 bows betwixt you, whereas we've got far greater options. Lay down your weapons & leave this path of banditry, lest we defend ourselves. Bladhm."

    At the strange word, a tiny flame flicks into existence between his arms and sails forward along the path. It zips over the heads of the two closer goblins, lodging in the branches of the bush behind them and setting it alight. As if this has drained the wizard's energy, he slumps to the floor of the wagon he's riding in.

    Action: cast fire bolt at the bush in H6-I7.
    Attack - (1d20+4)[15]
    Fire Damage - (1d10)[9]
    Move: drop prone. Note: Any attacks against Lucky while prone have disadvantage.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2019-02-14 at 06:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel View Post
    Winston Verne — human fighter/rogue

    "Are you saying you can conjure a bear or a wolf?! Well, then, I think it's time for overwhelming force!"
    "Oh, I can do you one better, laddie."

    With a feral grin, Opal changes. The old Dwarf transforms into a massive grey bear. She lets out a bellowing roar, and charges at the goblins.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, she's using Wild Shape to turn into a Brown Bear (PHB 304). As a Moon Druid, she can use Wild Shape as a bonus action, and as her action, she's going to Dash, running to G9, where she can attack next turn, if the goblins don't run away.
    Red Sun: a D&D 5e setting based on DC comics!

    Red Sun Redux: a revised and revamped version that includes the new content released since the first version of the setting.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    As the flare of Lucky's firebolt takes flight and sets the bush behind the goblins ablaze, there is a pause as the visible goblins seem curious as to why the bush behind them has been targeted. However, when Opal's bear form charges up towards the two in the right-hand bush with a roar, they visibly twitch and reach for the scimitars at their belts, and one of them nervously stammers a few words in the Goblin language, though none of you can understand it.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Initiative
    • Duck
    • Opal
    • Col <--- We are here
    • Goblins
    • Winston

    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    S.E. England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    "Oi, gobbie lads!" his small, elderly voice calls out. "Ye've got 3 bows betwixt you, whereas we've got far greater options. Lay down your weapons & leave this path of banditry, lest we defend ourselves. Bladhm."
    "Wait, so are we charging or-"

    Col is cut off by Opal's roar, and watches astonished as the elderly dwarf-turned-bear charges towards the goblins. Then after a brief shrug of his shoulders, he shouts a battle cry and charges as well.

    Heading for the left-most goblin, he zig-zags as he runs along the grassy road verge. His movement is erratic (to a casual observer it would appear that each of his legs was receiving different and entirely contradictory orders) but undeniably swift, and in the blink of the eye he reaches the bushes.

    Spoiler: Col's Turn
    Show
    Movement: Col moves 40ft along the edge of the road, ending his turn in D9.
    Action: Dodge.
    Additional: If Col catches an arrow etc. with deflect missile, has no enemies within 5 ft. of him at the time, and has a goblin within 20 ft. of him, he will spend 1 ki point to throw it at said goblin as part of the same reaction (counts as a monk attack: +5 to hit, +3 to its normal damage die or 1d4+3 if it's just ammunition).
    Last edited by Slingsby; 2019-02-15 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Clarifying deflect missile damage
    Colborn "Col" Setwall - Lv. 3 Human Monk | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Raam Hope - Tiefling NPC Commoner | IC | OOC | Sheet

    Is futile to argue. Nod. Get treat.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    ”Young’uns,” Lucky mutters from the floor of the cart. “Always itching for a fight.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    The goblins continue to hesitate for a moment, when a voice from within the right-hand bush screeches in broken Common, "WHAT'CHA DOIN'?!? Shoota bear!" The visible goblins flinch, and one of them carefully backs away from Opal's ursine form to avoid mauling claws and gnashing jaws. Arrows are knocked and fired, a trio of arrows headed towards Opal. Two of them manage to pierce her thick hide, but the trouble isn't over yet. Another goblin, slightly larger than the three archers, steps out from his hiding place in the bush, shield and curved sword in hand. The ill-fitting chain shirt he's wearing rustles and shifts with each step he takes, and his long nose is covered with several scars. He screeches another battlecry and charges Opal, bringing down his wicked-looking blade in a swipe that also manages to graze Opal. Two of the archers shift their positions, taking advantage of the distraction to attempt to hide within their respective bushes, their leather armor quickly fading into the greenery.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    • Goblin uses Nimble Escape to Disengage, moves to G7
    • Goblins attack Opal three times; two hits for 12 piercing damage
    • Goblin Boss attacks Opal; hits for 4 slashing damage
    • Goblin moves to C8, uses Nimble Escape to Hide
    • Goblin moves to K10, uses Nimble Escape to Hide

    Initiative
    • Duck
    • Opal
    • Col
    • Goblins + Goblin Boss
    • Winston <--- We are here

    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Winston Verne — human fighter/rogue

    Winston charges forward, to just behind Opal's bear form, drawing his whip with one hand. He throws the dagger from his other hand at the goblin boss.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bonus Action: Dash
    Movement: to H11
    Action:Attack the goblin boss (thrown dagger)
    Attack - (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage - (1d4+3)[7]
    Sneak Attack Damage - (1d6)[6]

    Winston has a 10 foot reach with his whip, and he will use his reaction for an opportunity attack with sneak attack if an opportunity presents itself.

    Also, Winston only has a cart, not a wagon. I'm assuming it should be smaller than the others (5' x 5', with Eddie in the square in front of it).
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    5e Quick, ad-hoc task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monsters — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    1 monster v. 1 PC; for 4 v. 1 Solos — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 25 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Winston's dagger falls harmlessly off something within the bush, apparently standing in front of the larger goblin. A roar emanates from the bush as an orc pushes through the undergrowth he was using as cover, an enormous axe in his hands. He swings at the bear in front of him, apparently not minding the ineffective dagger and manages to find success. Across the road, another orc storms from the greenery, and attempts to cleave Col's head from his shoulders.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    • Winston's attack misses
    • Orc (H10) attacks Opal with advantage and hits for 9 slashing damage
    • Orc (C9) attacks Col with advantage and misses


    Initiative
    • Duck <--- We are here
    • Opal
    • Col
    • Goblins + Goblin Boss
    • Winston
    • Orcs

    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    S.E. England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    "Opal, are you okay?" Col calls out as the goblins' arrows fly into the bear's hide. "Shout, or ah... growl if you need hel-WOAH!"

    Col ducks just in time to avoid the orc's swinging blade but just about manages to stay on his feet, quickly facing up to his new opponent.
    Colborn "Col" Setwall - Lv. 3 Human Monk | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Raam Hope - Tiefling NPC Commoner | IC | OOC | Sheet

    Is futile to argue. Nod. Get treat.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Lucky pokes his head above the cart just long enough to ascertain the scene. However, he realizes something as he stands...there are cursed orcs fighting alongside the gobbos, just like the ones that took his Adalia from him! "Oi," he calls out before changing to their language, ["The gobbos got a warning. Ye shan't.] Blamph."

    At the arcane command, another bolt of fire springs from his hands. Instead of a warning shot, though, this one sails right toward the orc fighting Col. Lucky recalls one of his dreams, and coldly tells the orc, ["I've watched you die."]

    Move: stand from prone.
    Action: cast fire bolt.
    Attack: use Portent to make the roll a 12, total 16 to hit
    Damage - (1d10)[9]
    Bonus: drop prone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    The orc which attempted to decapitate Col turns and searches for the source of the strange presence of its own language, and beats its chest with its free hand, roaring defiantly at the halfling atop the cart. The bolt of fire, true to Lucky's visions, strikes the hulking brute. The force from the blast pushes much harder than the orc was expecting as it digs its heels in to not be knocked over. The appearance of severe burns, and the smell of burnt flesh and singed fur and hair indicate the power of magic, and the orc simply roars louder in a mix of pain, and the brave attempt to shrug it off.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    • Lucky's Firebolt hits the orc [C9] for 9 fire damage

    Initiative
    • Duck
    • Opal <--- We are here
    • Col
    • Goblins + Goblin Boss
    • Winston
    • Orcs

    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Opal roars in pain, but tries to power through it. She takes a swipe at the Orc with her claws, and tries to bite the Goblin Boss.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Alright, so claws on the Orc in H10: (1d20+5)[7]

    If it hits, it takes (2d6+4)[10] Slashing damage.

    And the Goblin Boss in H9: (1d20+5)[25]

    If it hits, it takes (1d8+4)[5] Piercing damage.
    Red Sun: a D&D 5e setting based on DC comics!

    Red Sun Redux: a revised and revamped version that includes the new content released since the first version of the setting.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    S.E. England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    As the orc roars in fury at Lucky, Col takes his chance to attack. He strikes out at his foe with his spear, and then as he withdraws he spins in the air and kicks out at the orc with each of his legs, one after the other.

    Then, moving in a blur, he darts away from his opponent, taking up a position back on the open road.

    Spoiler: Col's Turn
    Show
    Action: Col attacks the orc with his spear (2 handed), attacking with a roll of (1d20+5)[17] to deal (1d8+3)[11] piercing damage on a success.
    Ki: Col spends 1 ki point to immediately use Flurry of Blows, allowing him to make two unarmed strikes with his bonus action. His Drunken Technique feature means that he also gains the benefits of the disengage action and increases his walking speed by 10 ft. until the end of his current turn.
    Bonus Action: Col makes two unarmed strikes against the orc with his feet - Strike 1: (1d20+5)[12] for (1d4+3)[6] bludgeoning damage, Strike 2: (1d20+5)[22] for (1d4+3)[4] bludgeoning damage.
    Movement: disengaging, Col moves 10 ft. north east to square F7.

    Variant instructions: if Col's initial attack drops the Orc, he will not spend a ki point to use flurry of blows. The rest of his turn remains unchanged.

    Additional: If Col catches an arrow etc. with deflect missile, has no enemies within 5 ft. of him at the time, and has a goblin within 20 ft. of him, he will spend 1 ki point to throw it at said goblin as part of the same reaction (counts as a monk attack: +5 to hit, +3 to its normal damage die or 1d4+3 if it's just ammunition). Alternatively, he will use his reaction to make an attack of opportunity with his spear (2h) against a passing enemy, +5 to hit and dealing 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage.
    Colborn "Col" Setwall - Lv. 3 Human Monk | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Raam Hope - Tiefling NPC Commoner | IC | OOC | Sheet

    Is futile to argue. Nod. Get treat.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Opal's ferocious claws don't seem to leave an impact on the hide armor of the orc she atttempted to mangle, but the focus on another target was enough for the armored goblin to be caught by suprise by her jaws. He screeches and flails wildly with his scimitar more out of fear, but the second swing catches her in the shoulder, forcing her grip off the goblin. The bear's form is fading quickly, and her hold over it is tenuous at best.

    Several arrows streak through the air once again, each of them aimed in different directions. While one aimed at Opal misses its mark, the arrow fired at Winston manages to find an opening. Col's quick reflexes allow him to snatch the arrow in mid-air and toss it expertly back at the nearest goblin. This goblin, suprised that an arrow he didn't fire is coming back at him, is too suprised to dodge it in time, and reaches for his shortsword again, unconvinced that his archery will do him any further good. The other two goblins fade once again into the bushes, and it's difficult to tell where they are lurking with the din of battle around you.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

    I took the liberty of rolling Col's Deflect Missiles and Opal's critical hit damage in the Dice Thread.
    • Opal misses the Orc
    • Opal critically hits the Goblin Boss for 9 piercing damage
    • Col hits the Orc, Orc uses Relentless Endurance to stay at 1 HP, the bonus action unarmed blow kills him.
    • Goblin (A8) attacks Col with advantage; critically hits for 9 piercing damage
    • Goblin (K10) attacks Winston with advantage; hits for 6 piercing damage
    • Goblin (G7) uses Nimble Action to Disengage and move to C7; attacks Opal and misses
    • Col uses Deflect Missiles, damage is reduced to 0; Col spends one Ki point to make a ranged attack against Goblin (C7); hits for 7 piercing damage
    • Goblin Boss attacks Opal twice: one hit for 6 slashing damage
    • Goblins move to A9 and K9; use Nimble Escape to Hide


    Initiative
    • Duck
    • Opal
    • Col
    • Goblins + Goblin Boss
    • Winston <--- We are here
    • Orcs

    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Lashing out with his enormous axe, the last orc avenges his fallen comrade, the force of the swing shunting the elderly dwarf out of her bear form. The brute seems to grin at the sight of the large bear suddenly shrinking down to Opal's size, and the armored goblin next to him shrieks in joy. "YESSS, kill'em kill'em kill'em!"

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    • Orc hits Opal for 5 slashing damage (Opal takes any leftover damage after being forced from her wildshape)


    Initiative
    • Duck <--- We are here
    • Opal
    • Col
    • Goblins + Goblin Boss
    • Winston - Has a Readied Action
    • Orcs

    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-03-14 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    Lucky stands, shoots another bolt of fire at the remaining orc, and drops prone in the cart again.

    Attack - (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage - (1d10)[10]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhismurWanders's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [5e] The Siege of Kestelring

    The blazing bolt sears through the air, and despite the difficulty of shooting past Winston without hitting him, the magic catches the orc in the shoulder. He howls in pain as his flesh singes as burns, but he is still able to keep fighting.

    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

    • Duck hits the Orc for 10 fire damage

    Initiative
    • Duck
    • Opal <--- We are here
    • Col
    • Goblins + Goblin Boss
    • Winston - Has a Readied Action
    • Orcs
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •