New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Zeitgeist: Island at the Axis of the World IC

Arina shivers as the team checks the bodies for gear - with their deaths so recent, she can still feel the impressions left behind, the fear and pain of their final moments. She shakes those thoughts aside, though.

"Cave-in. Might've been natural, might've been triggered by something. Burton said there was some kind of illusion or something just before the collapse. It looks like there's still enough room to get through this, though."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jakros, the Shifting Blade

Once all the gear was collected, Jakros helped hand out all the items to the newcomers and other members of the team. He shook his head after a moment. ”Strange thing ... illusions don't usually explode. Something else did this. Either way, we need to get going. We're on a time line, and no one else for backup.

Someone check for magic, if you please?”

Jakros started to swim, taking the lead as they moved on.

OOC - need some detect magic on this trip ...
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 18 (16) CMB/D: +3 or +6/14 / HPs: 10
    F +4 R +5 W +3 / Init +4; Move 40'
    Weapons/Armor: Claws (+6/1d4+4 x2); Rapier (+6/1d6+4); light mace (+6/1d6+4) / Studded leather
    Acrobatics: +7; Stealth +10; Perception +5; KS Local/Martial +8; Intimidate +8
    Stance: Aura of Misfortune
    Maneuvers: Spilled salt (C); Breaking glass (S); Disturbing blow (s)
    Effects: Stance (Foes w/in25’ get -2 saves); Darkvision 60’
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Indigo swims forward, a wary eye out for... well, anything.
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Niobe

She nods and casts a cantrip, trying to find any magical remnants of the passed or hints to future events.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Your group swims forward down the submerged tunnel, led by Jakros. Niobe scans the area for magic, detecting dim residual planar magic lingering in the area (literally everywhere).

After another 100ft or so the tunnel opens out ahead. You can see a large water-filled cavern, the surface of the water indicates there is air and the cavern only partly submerged and the sloping floor almost reaching the surface. Large wooden posts posts stand vertically at regular intervals indicating some sort of platform or jetty above in the deeper area.

You must have reached the end of the tunnel and the bottom of the Danoran mines. Other than your lights the cavern is dark and you can't see what the dry area holds from here.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jakros paused at the edge of the water, listening intently and letting the mages check for magic. If he didn’t hear anything, and no one else gives a warning, Jakros signaled for silence and slowly slipped out of the water. The first part of the mission was to secure the cave. Afterwards, they would need to worry about the sea gate. He pulled free a small vial and downed it before slipping into the shadows.

OOC - Do we have the message cantrip available? Need to secure this area, I suppose...
    Perception - (1d20+5)[9], Stealth - (1d20+20)[38]
    Show
    Weapons/Armor: Claws (+6/1d4+4 x2); Rapier (+6/1d6+4); light mace (+6/1d6+4) / Studded leather
    Effects: Hiding (+10 Stealth [comp], 1 hr); Stance (Foes w/in25’ get -2 saves); Darkvision 60’

7. - Top - End - #127

Niobe

Following through, as signaled by Jakros, she also checks for magic in this area.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Casting Detect Magic again. I do not have the message spell, sorry.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Arina kept quiet as the group cautiously into the caves, still keeping an eye out for an indication of hazards ahead. Just in case, she drew her sword and shield as well.

Show
    Reminder that I've got the See Hazard talent up to get a free perception check to notice any mechanical, magical, or natural trap within 10 feet.
    Perception check in case I do get close to one: (1d20+4)[20]

Unfortunately it looks like the closest thing Spheres has to the message cantrip is in the Mind sphere, which I don't have, so I can't use spirit allies to get access to it.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Indigo levers herself out of the water and checks over her waterproofed pack, making sure nothing case loose during the dive or got water into it. She looks around, trying to see if she can locate herself relative to the maps they'd scrounged of the area.
    LGBTA+itP

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Between an Airship and a Briefing
    Show
    In the days and weeks following the intense encounter on the airship, Roland had fallen back into their old habits. Each day had a format, an essence that lent itself to order and the formation of a current presence. Breakfast in the morning was shared with a contact in the City. This might be the grandchild of a contact made lifetimes ago, or someone that owed Roland a favor for work or discretion shown in this current one.
    After breakfast, study the Book. The book... hard to explain to someone who isn't an echo of former selves. Not a diary, not an address book, but something between the two. Key experiences, alliances, contacts... written memories that made real the lives that came before. Every life, the Book was one of the first things they remembered... and the Book always led them back to the guns.

Another piece of memory transcribed or absorbed, the guns came next. Careful care, cleaning, and polishing. A work of detail and focus that sharpened the mind for what came next: paperwork. Not a joy, not a drain.. just a requirement, a part of doing the job well. This meant something, and so every day, that is what was done.

The evening... release, and more work. Visiting old friends, old contacts, pressing palms for information or accepting small favors to provide information in turn. Important, reliable, sustaining... and draining. Every evening ended the same, a gleaming circle calling into being a bright red fox to curl up next to and share the space, resting to face the next day again.

Spoiler: Between the Waves and the Sky
    Show
    Roland had kept their peace for the duration of the journey, choosing solitude in this rare moment. It helped somewhat to avoid contradiction, as they had known the monk during his lived years. How time changed the meanings of writings... but silence ruled, and a journey was passed in peace.

Trailing behind the group, Deschain not currently called into this existence, Roland keeps their hands near their gun, and their eyes present and scanning their surroundings. The death that they passed was lamentable, but the mission was key and the lives of their comrades much more important than the falling of others. "Let us press on."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

You cautiously peer out of the water, each of you treading water as you observe the surroundings illuminated somewhat by your sunrods.

A large cave 60-ft. high at the end of the tunnel is otherwise dark. The air is pleasantly warm for being underground. It looks like it is low tide, the water at the bottom of the cave ranging from 10 ft. deep where you have entered to just a few inches. Wooden platforms anchored to the walls form a makeshift dock and stairs, which lead up to a wide, dark tunnel that intersects horizontally with this chamber in the shadows 35 ft. above the water line. Iron spikes, each about 6 inches long, are driven into the walls of the cave every 30 ft or so.

A column of dull gray stone rises to the ceiling in the middle of the cave. A dramatic splinter of white marble extrudes from the pillar, rising 15 ft. or so above the water. Ages of surf have eroded its surface, but in places you can still see hints of ancient pictogram carvings.

It looks like once the splinter was part of a longer column, now snapped and broken. In a tiny nook carved into the tip of the marble splinter rests an oversized golden coin about three inches across. One of the mining platforms sits just beneath the nook.

Spoiler: Niobe
    Show
    Detect magic: Round 1 - yes, magic is present.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland

Treading water gently, Roland gives the room a quick look over from their position. Under their breath, they say: "That coin looks like a trap or magical focus. Better to have it deep underwater and out of the way. I will call something to move it for us." They look at the faces around them for approval before taking action.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+6)[19] Perception to scan the room
    (1d20+6)[20] Spellcraft to figure out what/if anything the coin could be the focus for

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Arina gives the coin a sidelong glance. "I'm not so sure... Looks to me like it could be a trap. Might trigger something unpleasant if we move it."

She begins swimming forwards, towards the shallower water and the docks, keeping an eye open for potential danger.

Show
    Perception check: (1d20+4)[13]

-----

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jakros nodded at the others concerns. ”Of course it could also be an switch for the platform. Let’s sweep out and check the area for signs of use. And any tech heads should study the platform and coin ...”

[i]OOC - Jakros is good for hitting people and sneaking... Perception - (1d20+5)[24]
    Show
    Effects: Hiding (+10 Stealth [comp], 1 hr); Stance (Foes w/in25’ get -2 saves); Darkvision 60’

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Indigo goes over to the faded pictographs, examining them closely.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know what to roll for it, but if I can use Inspiration for free on the roll I will be.
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Scanning the room carefully, you don't notice anything alarming. All is dark and quiet, the water lapping very faintly against the rock walls and the wooden posts.

Indigo swims over to the column that rises from the pool. The pictograms are very faint & worn and about all she can make out are vague avian resemblances.

Niobe treads water and focuses her attention on the large magical coin that rests up in the nook. She senses that the magical aura emanating from it is faint.

Arina swims over to where the seawater becomes shallow and pulls herself up onto the docks.

Spoiler: Niobe rolls
    Show
    spellcraft to ID
    Niobe (1d20+6)[8] => unidentified

Knowledge (Arcana) to determine school of magic using detect magic, but Niobe has 0 ranks :-(

17. - Top - End - #137

Niobe

"There's magic on the coin, faint, power... maximal something like a fireball, most likely less powerfull. But I have no clue what kind of magic it is." She reveals in all honesty.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jakros nodded to Niobe. ”So possibly a trap or alarm, possibly something benign like lighting for this area. I suggest we leave it unless someone has a particular need to figure out what it does.

While looking around the area and judging by the state of equipment, I think it’s been a couple of days since anyone was working down here. Likely a work stop when events transpired. The first team was to secure the area. We’ve got at least a mile of mines to check, so let’s get a move in. We have a fort to work infiltrate, a sea gate to open, and a war to stop .... sands are falling, my comrades.”

Jakros moves to the area to the right of where they entered, using the ladders as necessary to get up to the tunnel.

OOC - Not sure what else we need to do here, but presuming there are no enemies, we might want to keep moving.
    Show
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-06-02 at 01:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Niobe

"Yes, let's leave. It's also time to get out this water..." She follows her comrade.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Arina bundles up a bit more, dripping wet from the swim. "Yes... no reason to bother that coin unless we have to." Sword in hand, she moves up to head on down the tunnel with the others.

-----

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Indigo follows the others, eyes open.
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland

Seeing no interest in moving the coin, Roland follows along and lifts themself out of the water. A brief but careful check ensures that both pistols are clean and free of moisture. Wide duster hat pulled low, they pause now that they are on solid ground.

"A moment, friends. Let me call my ally to me." Their fingers begin to trace geometric patterns in the air, the complexity growing exponentially with each passing second. The colors begin as blue but quickly fade through the spectrum to arrive at a brilliant red. The shapes coalesce into a large fox shape that delicately lands onto the ground, black paws touching the ground and delicate black nose turning back to look up at Roland.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    The above takes 1 minute to occur, so if we're in rounds then that's me sat out for 10 rounds. That said, if something happens then I would probably stop manifesting Deschain and act.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

You clamber up to the most accessible platform, joining Indigo and the others whom are up there already. Now that you are shifting around the room further, ascending, you can observe that the golden coin has primitive carvings on it - still faint at this distance.

Roland calls a halt as he begins to call his sorcerous ally. Jakros, climbing up a nearby ladder spies skulking movement nearby - a halfling-sized shadowy figure stalking swiftly across the platform towards him! It is barely discernible, seemingly composed of little more than dark shadows drawn together in a roughly humanoid shape. With a burst of speed it flies forward advancing on him!

At the dark tunnel mouth above there is further disturbance and you hear a man yell in a thick Danoran accent (for those of you who speak common: "Coming for moi? Non! You filthy Risuri will never ever catch me! Not like the others! I know this mine like the back of my 'and."). A dirty, disheveled miner peeks out from behind some barrels brandishing a pistol. Around his neck glitter two large golden coins on a leather thong, similar to the coin resting in the niche. <Crack!> he fires wildly at Roland, the shot ricocheting off the wall. As he ducks back behind the barrels you can see a small rocky creature at his side "Throw dis thing at 'im!" he orders the elemental creature who lurches overs and hefts one of the barrels ready to throw.

Spoiler: rolls & info
    Show
    shadow - move (fly) to close w/ Jakros
    bad guy - pistol vs Roland (1d20-3)[8] (incl. range penalty) damage (1d8)[3]
    elemental - picks up a barrel

surprise round - bad guys act (as above), then:

initiative
    Jakros (1d20+4)[22]
    Private Waterhouse (1d20+5)[17] - any orders? free action to order him
    Indigo (1d20+4)[16]
    shadow (1d20+2)[15]
    bad guy (1d20+1)[14]
    elemental (1d20-1)[12]
    Roland (1d20+3)[11]
    Arina (1d20+3)[10]
    Niobe (1d20+2)[6]

knowledge religion
    Jakros (1d20+4)[15]
    Indigo (1d20+3)[22]
    Roland (1d20+2)[14]
    Arina (1d20+5)[19]
    Niobe (1d20+2)[12]
    -> you all identify the shadowy creature as some sort of undead spirit. Arina knows it is a lesser shadow (incorporeal, str drain, concealment unless in bright light)

knowledge planes
    Jakros (1d20+4)[16]
    Indigo (1d20+3)[19]
    Roland (1d20+2)[10]
    Arina (1d20+1)[19]
    Niobe (1d20+7)[26]
    -> you all identify the elemental creature as some sort of outsider. Niobe knows it is a small earth elemental (burrow, earth glide)

Show

Ladders stretched horizontally between platforms can be crawled across safely, or walked across with an Acrobatics check (DC 12). A character who fails makes no progress; one who fails by 5 or more falls off.

Normal vertical ladders lead between levels of the scaffolding.

A rope dangles from a wooden crane at the tunnel at the top of this chamber. The rope can be climbed (Climb DC 12), or a creature at the crane can raise or lower the rope 20 ft. as a move action.

A pair of ropes stretch between two sides of the scaffolding. A character could try to walk (Acrobatics DC 19) or climb (Climb DC 12) along the ropes.

=> Jakros, marine, Indigo (any order)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jakros' eyes narrowed when he caught sight of the small, shadowy figure rushing towards him. The shout and gun shot from further ahead further 'illuminated' the ambush. He sighed inwardly, realizing they had let their guard down. Little good his potion of camouflage was if he barged around! Of course, there was little reason to stew over the failure - best to push on.

As Jakros looked at the small, shadowy creature, he realized it wasn't just sneaky - it was actual made of shadows! He whispered urgently to his companions, ”This thing is a shadow!” Then he growled fiercely at the creature, hissing, "Move along, shadow, or I'll bring you into the light!" Jakros moved forward, hugging the wall.

OOC - Trying to Intimidate ((1d20+8)[17] the shadow, then he made to move past the creature, ignoring it as he tried to get closer to the old man. If the shadow attacks, he'll use Spilled Salt, to give him a -4 to his attack
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Jakros moves forward now that his cover is blown. Confronted by the unsettling little shadow creature gliding towards him he hisses at it trying to get it to hold back. It lashes out at him with a smoke-like appendage but he's able to easily duck back and pivots slipping past it and darting up the ladder towards the Danoran miner and the small earth elemental.

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    internet forums tell me undead are immune to Intimidate due to it being mind-affecting.

=> Indigo (& Private Waterhouse)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Indigo looks ahead and curses under her breath. She scrambles forward, pulling an oil from her pack and rubbing it into her staff.

Moving forward to I3 if i'm reading the map right and the section the shadow is on is 25 feet up? Then going as far up that ladder as she can.
    LGBTA+itP

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Indigo moves forward & up, scrambling up the ladder as she prepares her staff. She ducks back as the unsettling shadowy form lashes out at her then vaults up to one side even as the thing glides around floating nearby.

<Boom!> There is a bang as Private Warehouse takes aim and fires at the skulking Danoran above. The shot goes wide as the white-haired old miner ducks back behind his cover “You killed all my men, you dirt worshippers! Ce n'était pas suffisant? Now you want me dead as well?” he ducks back frantically loading his weapon. "Throw eet, throw eet!" he yells at the earth creature, waving his golden medallions at it.

The small elemental hefts the barrel that it carries and with little effort tosses it towards the approaching Jakros, unfortunately catching the tiefling a nasty blow square in the side of the head for 5 damage. As the cask falls nearby it bursts into flames a small explosion of firedust quickly extinguishing but nevertheless blasting Jakros for another 2 fire damage.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Private Waterhouse vs Danoran miner
    Musket (1d20-4)[-3] (incl -2 range & -4 cover) damage (1d12)[1]

Shadow vs Indigo
    touch attack (1d20+2)[9]

elemental vs Jakros
    thrown barrel (1d20-8)[12] (incl. range) damage (1d8+3)[5] + fire (1d6)[2]
    crit? (1d20-8)[-5] (incl. range) damage (1d8+3)[5]

Show

Ladders stretched horizontally between platforms can be crawled across safely, or walked across with an Acrobatics check (DC 12). A character who fails makes no progress; one who fails by 5 or more falls off.

Normal vertical ladders lead between levels of the scaffolding (2x movement).

A rope dangles from a wooden crane at the tunnel at the top of this chamber. The rope can be climbed (Climb DC 12), or a creature at the crane can raise or lower the rope 20 ft. as a move action.

A pair of ropes stretch between two sides of the scaffolding. A character could try to walk (Acrobatics DC 19) or climb (Climb DC 12) along the ropes.

=> Party
    (any order)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2020-06-27 at 05:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Indigo swings back at the shadowy figure, battering away with her quarterstaff.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Attack action dual-wielding sphere. Nothing else doing. The quarterstaff is magical right now, so it can damage the thing.
    (1d20+4)[9]
    (1d8+1)[6]
    (1d20+4)[21]
    (1d8+1)[4]
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Arina closes her eyes, drawing in the spirits in the cavern. That one. Drive it off. She opens her eyes again, which are glowing with a pale light.

Show
    Using the Spirit Allies power from the Spiritualism Hedgewitch path to get the Manipulate Undeath (Death Sphere) talent for 1 minute. Unfortunately it's a standard action to use that ability so I can't use it until next round - I didn't realize that before just now. Still, starting on the next turn, that's a ranged or melee touch attack for 1d8 against undead.

Other than that Arina's going to sit tight - she'll move up once the wraith is dealt with.

-----

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jakros' staggered back against the wall, hissing in pain as the barrel hit him square in the chest and exploded! The pain was intense, more than he had experienced in a long time. Closing his eyes, he tried to collect himself as his eyes adjusted from the bright flame. At the man's outburst, Jakros frowned. Slipping free a potion, he downed it then stepped out to be seen by the miner.

”Hold, my friend! We are not your enemy. We're after the scum who are attacking this island! Look at me and know that I speak the truth. Call off your ... friends ... or we'll be force to hurt you.” He gave a signal to his companions to hold their actions for a moment.

OOC - Figure we'll try words for a moment ... and if anyone here looks like a Danoran, Jakros does! I don't have my sheet, but he'll even use the native tongue if he knows it
    Cure: CLW - (1d8)[5] Do you go by the thought that consumables (potions or scrolls) are cast at a min of 1st level, or at the min level required to a) make the consumable and/or b) cast the spell? For practical purposes, it would mean the CLW is either 1d8+1 or 1d8+3

Show
    AC: 18 (16) CMB/D: +3 or +6/14 / HPs: 8/10
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-07-03 at 11:40 AM.