Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default D&D 5e Forgotten Realms Homebrew (Offline)

Just a recap of my game:
    Portland, Oregon area.
    Time Vault Games (closed)
    The Portland Game Store
    (North Killingsworth and 1.5 blocks West of Albina)

Saturday afternoons, with other days
    (and other RPGs) available
    Email [email protected]

Campaign information:
    Please, No Chaotic Neutral or True Neutral PCs.

Almost all the Races are allowed:
    PHB, Xanathar's, Volo's, and Mordenkainien's.
    No Bugbear, Yaun-ti, or Gnoll PCs.

While Mystra is the God of Magic, there is no Weave. There are other Deities of Magic.

Content from DM's Guild, DnD Beyond, Unearthed Arcana, and other Homebrew can be allowed, please bring a physical copy of the information.

The Full Homebrew World has lots of other Areas beyond Fearun/Toral, mostly using parts of older D&D Campaigns.

Questions welcome!
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-04-19 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Contact info

2. - Top - End - #2

BlackDragon

Default Re: D&D 5e Forgotten Realms Homebrew (Offline)

What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Game edition is currently 5e, but I can also do 3.5.
    I am willing to Play/GM other RPGs - Cyberpunk, and more. Willing to learn.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Setting is what the Title says.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    looking for 3 to 5 players per Game Day.
    Um, usually no alternates - I try to encourage seperate Game Day Groups.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Gaming medium will be in person.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Depends on the Game - I have one starting at 5th level, and one at 1st level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    1d4x 10 times Level Gp in personal wealth.
    Plus - Level in Common Items, Half Level in Uncommon Items.
    No Rare Items until after 5th level,
    No Very Rare Until after 10th level,
    and no Legendary until after 15th level.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want?
    What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    I do my best to allow for as many Class options as possible, but Homebrew Classes/Prestige Classes (5e Subclasses) will need to be reviewed before being allowed into the Game.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game?
    See above.

Will you allow homebrewed races or species?
    Homebrew Races, 'Prestige' races or species need review.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Either Rolled at the table or Point Buy like Adventure League.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    See above.
    If Evil - The entire group needs to be Evil aligned, and Chaotic Evil is discouraged.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    I allow multiclassing, It should make sense for the Character to add a given Class.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game?
    No, Players do their own Rolling.

A - Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system?
    I keep to the System, but do give out Inspiration Points and when this is full, Luck Points to PCs that earn them.

B - If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    As per normal at the table. Die Rolls cannot fall on the floor, or be hidden from the DM.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    There are some 5e Homebrew already in place - Matt Mercer's Gunslinger, Blood Hunter, and a few others.
    Players are responsible for finding and knowing their Race/Class/Feat abilities.
    Physical copies are preferred.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    No, but encouraged. Playing to your Traits, Ideals, Bonds and Flaws does give the PC Inspiration and Luck Points.

A) Players should have their own reason for their PC to be at the location where the rest of the party is, and interest in the Game Goal (both IC and OoC) - don't make either the Party or the DM do extra work to involve you or your PC.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Game is intermixed with Roleplaying, Hack and Slash, with a sprinkling of Traps/puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    All the Official 5e D&D books are allowed.
    Homebrew on a Case-by-Case basis.
    I try not to be an unreasonable DM.

I do my best to have a Living Open World, where the Players decide where and what their PCs do, and then I have the World react and respond in ways that make sense, and tell a good story at the End of the Game Goal.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-02-25 at 07:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

BlackDragon

Default Re: D&D 5e Forgotten Realms Homebrew (Offline)

Update

Homerules
    Actions determine Alignment, which means that you're Alignment can change.

Good: cares about the welfare of others.
    Evil: takes what they want, regardless.
    Law: teamwork, civilization.
    Chaos: independent. (Chaotic Evil tends to be more violent)

I do NOT allow the True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral Alignments.
    True Neutral is either an unimportant NPC (they don't care about anything beyond doing the Minimum of what needs to be done to survive the day), or the person is too worried about both Personal and Cosmic Balance to get directly involved in situations; {This is so true that even Druids are divided, being either Light (NG) or Dark (NE), and also applies to Monks. True Neutral Druids and Monks are NPCs whose sole purpose is to maintain the balance between The Warring Alignments. Once they have served their purpose (regardless of success or failure) they depart and return to their Homeland/Region.} Also, a Lawful Neutral Druid or Monk (or any PC Class) can behave in many of the same ways as a True Neutral version. Most of the things that can be done with either the TN or CN Alignments can be duplicated with Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws.

Chaotic Neutral is a solo PC, and this is a Group Game.

PCs who behave in an Insane manner will be treated as such by all the NPCs!!

Chaotic Evil characters are discouraged.

Note: Please don't argue Rules or Alignments at the Gaming Table, we did not come to have a Grand Debate, but rather we came to play the Game. Discussions about Rules/Alignment before, or after, the Game, is fine.
    ----
    Races allowed from PHB, Volo’s and Mord’s.
    I do not allow Bugbear, Yaun-ti or Gnoll Characters.
    I have not studied Ravnica races, and so are not allowed at this time.

Aquatic Elf, Mermaid, and Triton PCs are for Aquatic Campaigns.

Aarockra and Kenku PCs need good Background Stories.

Players that want to play Drow, Duergar, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Orcs and Kobolds need to know that they will have problems dealing with "normal" Races and their Towns and cities.

1.) at level up, Either Roll for health or use average. (Plus Con modifier)

2.) Downtime can be used for Training new Tools and Languages are as PHB - 250 days (8 months!!) and 250 gp.

3.) Revised Ranger (including Beastmaster)

4.) Flanking rules. (Only +2 bonus. Stacks with Help. But if PCs can do it, so can enemies)

5.) Murder hobos will be hunted down by guards and inquisitors for the rest of their lives
    ----
    During an Attack, on a Natural Roll of One (Natural Roll of Two for Halflings!!), the PC makes a Dexterity Check DC 10 or drop their weapon. Bows have their strings break and Crossbows jam.

Disarming requires an opposed Skill Check, with both participates using either Acrobatics or Athletics, highest wins and losses the weapon in hand.

Both of these cost 5 extra feet of movement to retrieve their weapon. PCs do not lose Bonus Actions, Attack Actions, or Reactions.
    ----
    Knocking Prone gives the creature no Reactions. It still costs half Movement to stand up, unless the creature has an ability or Feat that states otherwise.

The feats Great Weapon Fighting and Sharp Shooter allow the PC to take a penalty to hit equal to their Proficiency bonus to deal double this in damage.

Flanking grants a +2 to Hit.

Casting spells in combat does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity, but does give any hostile creature still within 5 feet of the caster +2 to Hit.

XP based on primarily what the Goal is.
    Goals are usually short term.

Social and Exploration have CRs equal to Combat.
    Example: getting an interview with The Open Lord of Waterdeep is a CR 10 challenge, and only rewarded after a successful meeting with her. Failed Deception and any Intimidation attempt will most likely result in Combat: Which if happens means that the Goal failed, and usually No Exp (rarely Half Exp) is gained.

Short and Long Resting in the dungeon is possible, but anything that causes Combat ruins any Rest benefits.

Parties that are still in the Dungeon at session end will be Teleported out.

Using Potions is a Bonus Action.

PvP actions are forbidden and will not be allowed. This includes passive-aggressive actions and (non-consensual) theft from party members.

Rule of Continuing Effect: Things your Character does has lasting effects and will be visible to other players in other games. Consider your actions carefully.

Your hands matter: Grappling and being grappled prevents spellcasting with somatic components. I have no idea why this rule was omitted from the actual rules, as it makes sense from an ingame perspective, and greatly improves game balance (and mutual dependency between casters and their bodyguards, which is good for group cohesion).

Evil aligned Paladins and Clerics of Evil gods deal necrotic damage instead of radiant damage with any class feature or spell that ordinarily deals radiant damage.

Campaign General Rules
    Reputation, Sanity and Honor points will be in use.

Encumbrance and ammunition will be enforced.

Spellcasting that uses V,S can be detected via Perception vs the caster's Deception; and spells with M/Focus use Sleight of Hand to conceal them.
    Once seen, the observer must make a DC 11 + spell level check of the appropriate Skill (Arcane for Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard; Religion for Clerics and Paladins, and Nature for Druids and Rangers) to Identify it.
    Arcane Archer, Bladesinger, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster (Arcana) can also be recognized in this manner.

Generous amount of randomized loot, as per DMG. Selling, purchasing and crafting of magic items are all available as per XGtE.

While there are no Magic Shops, there are lots of casters making magic items. These can be obtained either from Guild-approved Merchants, or from the creator directly.

No DM screen, open rolls. A healthy amount of metagaming from the players isn't a problem.

- I'll be rewarding Players who join a Guild based on Class - which are also divided by Subclass. (Colleges for Bards, Temples for Clerics, Circles for Druids, Universities for Wizards). Each Guild (by Subclass) is unfriendly towards other (Subclass) Guilds of the same Class.

Ex-Guild members do exist (most are multiclassed) but getting access to new Spells is both expensive and difficult. If membership in more than one Guild is desired, PC must maintain active membership (fees, duties, etc) in all of them.

Both Adventurers (any non-evil) and Hero (any Good) Guilds allow all Subclasses of all Classes, and all members must behave in a polite and professional manner. Evil PCs can easily hide in the Adventurers Guild - getting caught is usually a death sentence; but most (NPCs) form their own Alliances outside the official Guilds.

Sorcerers don't have a Guild, but have a Mentor, and are dependent on their own Reputation.
    Warlocks don't have a Guild.
    Known Warlocks are usually members if the Adventuring Guild and are usually treated as Rebel Spellcasters by all other Guilds and NPCs.

Faction points count only for that Guild, and does not apply to any other Guilds. PCs use their Reputation for all other Guilds, and must keep track of both.

- Sorcerer Subtypes of the same type cannot be combined with the Class similar to them:
    Sorcerer (Divine Soul) with either Cleric or Druid.
    Sorcerer (any) with Wizard.

---
    - I'll be modifying the Warlock class.

Great Old One Warlock class features that would use the Charisma stat will be affected by their Sanity points. (In)Sanity Exceeding your Charisma Score causes an OoC DM-Player encounter.

Patron-Warlock interaction mechanics from XgtE used. The type of the creature will determine the nature of the Warlock's Patron, but the player may still choose the Pact.

In order to qualify as a suitable Patron, the creature must fulfill at least two of the three following requirements:

A CR of equal to the PCs Level, or higher
    The possession of Legendary Actions
    Spellcasting or Spell-like abilities.

Once a creature becomes the Patron, the character has access to the Warlock class with the following changes and restrictions:

A creature can only grant a number of Warlock levels up to 2 times it's CR.

If the level limit for the Warlock's Patron has been exceeded, the character will still gain EXP but will not be able to gain class levels, unless an individual of higher power/rank of the same Type can be found.
    Example: Archfey: start with Pixie, then Satyr, then ending with one of the Rulers of the Feywild.

If the Warlock's Patron was permanently destroyed (or either abandoned the other), a deal with a new creature can be struck.
    All previous rules apply to this new pact, but the Warlock may choose different features. For example, an Archfey Bladelock may choose to become a Fiend Chainlock, different spells/invocations, etc.

While there are Gods of Magic, they do not directly control magic itself. Rather, He/She/They determine the Laws of Spells. (Class, Level, School, etc)

Also, while I am using Forgotten Realms as the basis for my Games, there is no Weave.
    Spells unlock magical effects through Elemental or “Quantum” manipulations.

I have Three Gods of Magic in my Game:
    Mystra (Neutral Good) Vechna (Neutral Evil) and Wejas (Lawful Neutral). While there are other Deities of Magic, they follow these same Rules, and are limited to either a Pantheon, or a Region.

You can only do 8 hours of Ritual casting per day without incurring exhaustion.
    ------
    I am changing the following Spells for my 5e Games:
    Mage Armor can be Upcast: a 4th Level Slot Slot grants AC 15 plus Dexterity;
    a 7th level Slot grants AC 18+ Dex; and a 9th level Slot grants AC 20+ Dex.

Shield can be upcast to last 1 Round + 1 Round per Spell Slot Higher.
    So, a Shield Spell upcast in a 2nd level Slot would last 2 rounds, and in a 9th level Slot would last one minute.
    -----
    Illusions
    Personal interaction is required to disbelieve an illusion.

Intelligent Creatures can use the Help Action to give others nearby Advantage to the save to disbelieve.

Spending an action to investigate an illusion - describing a test method suitable to the particular circumstance encouraged. (Lots of new Players, so is not a requirement.)

The text of specific illusions may override these rules.
    Higher Level Illusions can be harder to disbelieve. Ad-hoc Rules may apply.
    -----
    To clarify what is seen as the old school philosophy:

Resource management should be a key focus

Encounter difficulty determined by internal logic, not tweaked to make sure players always win/lose

Parley and retreat are necessary tactics if you want to have a prayer of surviving

Characters die; that's the nature of the game; so building a new character should be quick and easy
    Players are encouraged to Roll their Stats at the table and make ‘backup PCs’ between Sessions.

Combat is lethal and regularly engaging in battle without trying to shift the odds in your favor is a recipe for TPKs.

If a PC has a Villain, it is accepted that said Villain are designed to take advantage of that PC's weakness. Other PCs are still effective.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-04-19 at 10:34 PM.