New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread V: Umayyad Bro?

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    *weeps in Eastern Roman Empire*
    Hey, I went from a minor strategos to emperor with bad scores thanks to the emperor running out of adult relatives (which I might have helped). Don't knock Byzantium too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Hey, I went from a minor strategos to emperor with bad scores thanks to the emperor running out of adult relatives (which I might have helped). Don't knock Byzantium too much.
    Oh I love the ERE, but they are quite prone to collapsing in on themselves via revolt.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

3. - Top - End - #303

Oh I love the ERE, but they are quite prone to collapsing in on themselves via revolt.
    This is a fair cop against them. Then there is the dreaded 4th crusade feature. I had a cousin run off to venice, so I went catholic hoping to get a relative on some far off throne. We were at 100% war-score when the king of estonia converted. I was so mad. I was going to use the oodles of sweet crusade cash to build a bunch of cities to get the bloodline.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #304

Spoiler
    Show
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

After a bit of a break away from CK2, I've made a return for it, spurred on by all the CK3 news and watching manyatruenerd do his run.

Thought I'd do the Monarch's Journey challenges and work on a lot of missing achievements, plus experience parts of the game I've not yet done. I've never done a nomad run or Muslim run and the last time I played a Catholic was in the very early days of the game. Plus a whole host of other things.

Been trying out the first journey - King Konan. Had a couple of early failed attempts - the first see me become a lunatic and my wife die of great pos in the first year before William decided to invade.

But the third attempt went much better. Went seduction, invited a dozen lusty ladies to court and had so many kids it asn't funny. Then began the assassination game. William's first son had already died and his eldest daughter had somehow ended up a concubine to a pagan out east. Four deaths later (no body liked his kids - who knew) and then when William died England was inherited by a pagan kid. Fun times followed.

6. - Top - End - #306

DruidGuy

CK3 is releasing September 1. 2 weeks before Cyberpunk 2077 sadly for me, given both are games I'm really looking forward to.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmm. Wonder how much that guard who stabbed the assassin in the trailer costs. I could use a few of them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #308

DruidGuy

The changes to stress sounds like a good change. Instead of the current system where you randomly gets stressed (and then die), the new system has a stress meter that fills up as you perform acts contrary to your characters traits, and when you hit the limit you have a mental break. And on the third mental break bad things happen.

By contrary to your traits, it means that if you play a kind, charitable character and you start hoarding and torturing then your stress levels are going to rise. And ambitious comes with a flaw that increases the amount of stress you earn in CK3.

Still working on the first monarch's journey and am having a blast working towards claiming all the lands - by having made Konan go Tengri pagan. Yeah, I'm never going to be able to reform the faith but it is a fun combo. You've got tanistry to avoid all that gavelkind problem, even as a pagan, plus allowing you to (try and) pick the best candidate from your dynasty, Tengri gives you a +30% levy boost, access to raiding and conquests, a bonus to LC and Breton has your cultural building give HC and a boost to HC, while the cultural retinue has booth HC and LC in it. So lots of horses swarming over the borders raiding.

There is an option to marry a Tengri woman so I went with that, then went all religious and joined the Benedictines, went on pilgrimages etc, to earn the piety I needed to secretly convert. Found the secret cult, laid the ground so all my counties would convert and in the meantime went about revoking titles from traitors in the realm and taking over 7 of the 9 counties. The last two were from the small northern duchy, which remained in family hands. Sadly I couldn't Alan (your firstborn bastard) to join as he had become paranoid. But my Tengri wife had provided plenty of kids and another son had converted so I picked him to succeed me.

Eventually he converted publicly, joined the Eagle Warriors, revoked all the catholics, turned the third small duchy into a tengri merchant republic and then went plundering, raiding and pillaging through French and English lands and even conquered a couple of neighbouring counties before dying in his 60s.

His son (and only tengri child) took over and continued on and now just has the two counties over in England to get after having pressed his claim for Normandy. Despite being raised as a steward, he has turned into a terrifying warrior with around 120 PCS currently, a lot of that from battlefield sacrifices.

France has amusingly ceased to exist, in large part due to the constant border raids which saw 6 French kings die in a 20 year stretch - 1 in combat and the other 5 captured and sacrificed. A large part of it broke away to form Aquitaine and the rest was inherited by Castile.

My only concern is a crusade aimed for me. None of the neighbouring realms have the strength to beat me in a holy war but a crusade would wreck me, even with 2K in the bank for mercenaries. Just hope I can grab the last two counties before that happens.

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The changes to stress sounds like a good change. Instead of the current system where you randomly gets stressed (and then die), the new system has a stress meter that fills up as you perform acts contrary to your characters traits, and when you hit the limit you have a mental break. And on the third mental break bad things happen.

By contrary to your traits, it means that if you play a kind, charitable character and you start hoarding and torturing then your stress levels are going to rise. And ambitious comes with a flaw that increases the amount of stress you earn in CK3.

Still working on the first monarch's journey and am having a blast working towards claiming all the lands - by having made Konan go Tengri pagan. Yeah, I'm never going to be able to reform the faith but it is a fun combo. You've got tanistry to avoid all that gavelkind problem, even as a pagan, plus allowing you to (try and) pick the best candidate from your dynasty, Tengri gives you a +30% levy boost, access to raiding and conquests, a bonus to LC and Breton has your cultural building give HC and a boost to HC, while the cultural retinue has booth HC and LC in it. So lots of horses swarming over the borders raiding.

There is an option to marry a Tengri woman so I went with that, then went all religious and joined the Benedictines, went on pilgrimages etc, to earn the piety I needed to secretly convert. Found the secret cult, laid the ground so all my counties would convert and in the meantime went about revoking titles from traitors in the realm and taking over 7 of the 9 counties. The last two were from the small northern duchy, which remained in family hands. Sadly I couldn't Alan (your firstborn bastard) to join as he had become paranoid. But my Tengri wife had provided plenty of kids and another son had converted so I picked him to succeed me.

Eventually he converted publicly, joined the Eagle Warriors, revoked all the catholics, turned the third small duchy into a tengri merchant republic and then went plundering, raiding and pillaging through French and English lands and even conquered a couple of neighbouring counties before dying in his 60s.

His son (and only tengri child) took over and continued on and now just has the two counties over in England to get after having pressed his claim for Normandy. Despite being raised as a steward, he has turned into a terrifying warrior with around 120 PCS currently, a lot of that from battlefield sacrifices.

France has amusingly ceased to exist, in large part due to the constant border raids which saw 6 French kings die in a 20 year stretch - 1 in combat and the other 5 captured and sacrificed. A large part of it broke away to form Aquitaine and the rest was inherited by Castile.

My only concern is a crusade aimed for me. None of the neighbouring realms have the strength to beat me in a holy war but a crusade would wreck me, even with 2K in the bank for mercenaries. Just hope I can grab the last two counties before that happens.
    Britanny has a low-ish crusade weight, so you probably won't be the target.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

10. - Top - End - #310

DruidGuy

Britanny has a low-ish crusade weight, so you probably won't be the target.
    Britanny might not, but France does and it holds most of the land you need to grab.

And even though a Jihad for Egypt had just succeeded, literally while the call for the crusade was going on, they still went ahead and attacked me.

Luckily I had a number of advantages, even though I was badly outnumbered.

Firstly, the HRE was running an anti-pope at the time, so they didn't get involved, and as by far the largest Catholic nation, their involvement would have sealed the deal.

I had time to invite a number of 20+ martial pagan commanders to run my armies.

And I had a number of buffs running - Call to Glory, Call of the Steppes and War Sacrifices, which gave me substantial boosts to replenishment of troops, morale, damage, defence, movement etc.

It was a tough old war, with my army reduced from 14K down to 6K very early on after a couple of major battles but it very rapidly recovered thank to the Call to Glory, even if the unruly elements kept on demanding money through it all.

After the main crusader armies were dealt with, there was a lot of running around, dealing with smaller armies and repeatedly having to go and retake Paris (which the Duke of Normandy had captured on his own and which probably provoked the Crusade to begin with.)

Strangely, after the war was won, my Tengri king was given the title 'Sword of the Blessed Virgin.' Might have been a bug.

There was a darkly amusing series of events during the war, my daughter, who had been made a shieldmaiden, kept on repeatedly being badly wounded. She lost an eye, her face, her hand, her leg, was badly mangled and yet would just not die, largely thanks to a number of health boosts she had received. There was an event that popped up a few times that gave us both pet cats, she had lucky to be alive and had also chosen a health boosting lifestyle. And despite all this damage she just would not stop going into battle alongside me. An absolute badass if ever there was.

11. - Top - End - #311

DruidGuy

Started up an ironman African run, going for a few achievements, starting 769.

Haven't played around with the tribal pagan African nations before so most of it is new and unknown. All I have head is that the flooding event is a regular and annoying feature of the region.

I went with the High Chief of Kanem, basically because he started with one of the African pagan holy sites, plus he was young, just 17, and controlled 3 territories so wasn't a small fish either and should have a decent time to get things done. Didn't know he starts out strong when I selected him. My version only had a 2 star martial education, so not the best, but enough.

Barely 12 years into the game it throws the immortal event at me. Of course it failed, but in the process of buying an antelope for the first test I went into debt, which caused thieves guilds to pop up (which still haven't gone away), but in the process of failing I lost a hand. Not great for a warrior.

He is 49 now, on the verge of old age, and also King of Kanem, mostly funded by ransoming prisoners taken on raids. Given all your neighbours are tribal raiding for money really doesn't get you much and only prisoners give you much money.

But things have been interesting getting there. He has had 6 sons and 1 daughter, and only the daughter got the strong trait. While she refused to become a sheildmaiden, she still joined the warrior society and is a good warrior and one of my main commanders.

The sons, though, have caused some fun times. The eldest (and initial heir) turned out with decent diplomacy and good (22) martial - and then died at 19 when he was killed by a wild animal. The second turned out with 29 martial, plus decent stewardship and intrigue. He challenged me to a duel through the society - and put my eye out. Then, at 22, he committed suicide. The fifth son turned out to be an amazing schemer (27 intrigue) so I made him my spymaster and he was feeding me plenty of tech points - until he also challenged me to a duel in which I accidentally killed him and earned the tribal kinslayer trait. Of the remaining sons, one is completely useless (less than 10 in all stats) and refused to join the warrior society, one is a reasonable warrior and one a reasonable steward, but none are as good as my three dead sons. So right now my daughter is the heir.

Despite his missing eye and hand, the King still has over 100 PCS thanks to totems and duellist trait, though in a year that will go down a bit due to age. But the warrior society is currently building a legend so he might go out in glory. We'll see how that goes.

12. - Top - End - #312

Started up an ironman African run, going for a few achievements, starting 769.

Haven't played around with the tribal pagan African nations before so most of it is new and unknown. All I have head is that the flooding event is a regular and annoying feature of the region.

I went with the High Chief of Kanem, basically because he started with one of the African pagan holy sites, plus he was young, just 17, and controlled 3 territories so wasn't a small fish either and should have a decent time to get things done. Didn't know he starts out strong when I selected him. My version only had a 2 star martial education, so not the best, but enough.

Barely 12 years into the game it throws the immortal event at me. Of course it failed, but in the process of buying an antelope for the first test I went into debt, which caused thieves guilds to pop up (which still haven't gone away), but in the process of failing I lost a hand. Not great for a warrior.

He is 49 now, on the verge of old age, and also King of Kanem, mostly funded by ransoming prisoners taken on raids. Given all your neighbours are tribal raiding for money really doesn't get you much and only prisoners give you much money.

But things have been interesting getting there. He has had 6 sons and 1 daughter, and only the daughter got the strong trait. While she refused to become a sheildmaiden, she still joined the warrior society and is a good warrior and one of my main commanders.

The sons, though, have caused some fun times. The eldest (and initial heir) turned out with decent diplomacy and good (22) martial - and then died at 19 when he was killed by a wild animal. The second turned out with 29 martial, plus decent stewardship and intrigue. He challenged me to a duel through the society - and put my eye out. Then, at 22, he committed suicide. The fifth son turned out to be an amazing schemer (27 intrigue) so I made him my spymaster and he was feeding me plenty of tech points - until he also challenged me to a duel in which I accidentally killed him and earned the tribal kinslayer trait. Of the remaining sons, one is completely useless (less than 10 in all stats) and refused to join the warrior society, one is a reasonable warrior and one a reasonable steward, but none are as good as my three dead sons. So right now my daughter is the heir.

Despite his missing eye and hand, the King still has over 100 PCS thanks to totems and duellist trait, though in a year that will go down a bit due to age. But the warrior society is currently building a legend so he might go out in glory. We'll see how that goes.
    The flooding event fires way, way, way too often. It either drains about a year's income and kills some characters, drains cash and destroys a building, or kills and destroys (but doesn't drain cash). The worst is that it hits Soccotra, which make trying to do a Nestorian run that much harder. The good news is that if you turn off Holy Fury you don't get those events. The bad news is that Holy Fury is, except for that one problem, one of the best expansions.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #313

DruidGuy

Got hit with both the landslide and flooding event. Luckily by far the most of my income comes from ransoming prisoners and my actual income is so low that it did't cost much.

But the interesting times keep rolling on.

The daughter went and caught the great pox, while pregnant, passing it on to her daughter when she was born, then proceeded to go mad before dying in a Byzantium prison.

The king engaged in a duel arranged by the society which would have trigged the start of the legendary gathering, only to die despite having 100 PCs vs 30 (seriously, I can understand now why some people scum save).

Then his competent martial son, who took over, went on the legendary gathering into Abbasid territory and died on the third duel.

The kingdom then fell to his second son, a 13 year old genius, but despite that, on coming of age, he has had all sorts of problems with unhappy vassals and the elders refusing to back his nominee for next in line cause they just don't like him, and have been pushing the case for his inept uncle, the only remaining child of his grandfather, the first king.

Oh, and the Abbasids are looming. Not only have they remained stable but they have taken all of north Africa and have pushed down into west Africa all the way to Timbuktu.

He has, after subjugating the Songhay, managed to forge the Empire and take a 3rd holy site, but MA is well below 50 and the only way to get there is to attack the Abbasids.

14. - Top - End - #314

Got hit with both the landslide and flooding event. Luckily by far the most of my income comes from ransoming prisoners and my actual income is so low that it did't cost much.

But the interesting times keep rolling on.

The daughter went and caught the great pox, while pregnant, passing it on to her daughter when she was born, then proceeded to go mad before dying in a Byzantium prison.

The king engaged in a duel arranged by the society which would have trigged the start of the legendary gathering, only to die despite having 100 PCs vs 30 (seriously, I can understand now why some people scum save).

Then his competent martial son, who took over, went on the legendary gathering into Abbasid territory and died on the third duel.

The kingdom then fell to his second son, a 13 year old genius, but despite that, on coming of age, he has had all sorts of problems with unhappy vassals and the elders refusing to back his nominee for next in line cause they just don't like him, and have been pushing the case for his inept uncle, the only remaining child of his grandfather, the first king.

Oh, and the Abbasids are looming. Not only have they remained stable but they have taken all of north Africa and have pushed down into west Africa all the way to Timbuktu.

He has, after subjugating the Songhay, managed to forge the Empire and take a 3rd holy site, but MA is well below 50 and the only way to get there is to attack the Abbasids.
    Do the Abbasids have any temples on your borders? Raiding them helps your MA.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #315

DruidGuy

Do the Abbasids have any temples on your borders? Raiding them helps your MA.
    Not really. Most of the nearby lands are tribal so I would have to push fairly deep to get at temples, with gives the Abbasids time to bring much larger, higher tech armies down on my raiders.

I actually did a restart and it turns out you can very easily take all the pagan African lands and reform the religion when you know what you are doing. For MA I sent my troops over the border into Nubian lands and burnt them down.

Not so much a greek tragedy with the family this time around though all but one of the kids had died before the Emperor did. He turned out a ridiculous god of war. Even when he was old and one handed, he was rocking a 150+ PCS when he went through the Abbasid lands for the forge a legend event for the warrior society, and later on when he was infirm and stressed it was still around 100. High 30s martial with plenty off buffs to troops meant he was also chewing through much larger armies as well.

Raiding was one thing but trying to take over Muslim land is another. I tired out a Holy War with his successor (who wasn't quite as good but still a decent commander) but the tech and troop type advantage really hindered me.

16. - Top - End - #316

DruidGuy

Had a bit of a strange one in my current play-through, which is aiming for the White Hun achievement.

The Abassid's went crazy in this one as well. By 900 they had over 110K troops (without mercenaries), owned North Africa to the Straits of Gibralter, Central Africa, East Africa except for their Nubian vassal, Arabia, the Caucauses, half of Anatloia, Thrace (including Constantinople), part of souther Italy, part of the Crimea, all of Persia and Central Asia and were pushing deep into northern India. And they did that without their decadence ever going higher than about 12%.

Given most of the lands I needed to take for the achievement were in the lands the Abassid's held, that was a problem. Luckily there was a Chinese Emperor who liked my culture so I sold off a lot of family members to him to be able to afford the invasion, which mostly solved the Abassid problem.

That wasn't the strange one though. Once the Crusades got going, the Catholics were busy dealing with the Umayyads and reformed Germanics for a time, and of course the 4th Crusade which took Constantinople after the weakened Byzantines had managed to retake it following the fall of the Abassids, only to spring a truely bizarre one. Despite Egypt and Jerusalem being still held by Muslims, as well as the whole of the Middle East, they decided to go for a Crusade for Persia of all places, which I held. There were no borders between me and any Catholic lands and there had never been any wars between Catholics and the Eastern religions either before. It was the oddest crusade to call.

And doomed to fail as they had to march all the way from Europe, across the Muslim held middle east (taking attrition from lack of supplies) and then attack my numerically superior forces in mountains.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Had a bit of a strange one in my current play-through, which is aiming for the White Hun achievement.

The Abassid's went crazy in this one as well. By 900 they had over 110K troops (without mercenaries), owned North Africa to the Straits of Gibralter, Central Africa, East Africa except for their Nubian vassal, Arabia, the Caucauses, half of Anatloia, Thrace (including Constantinople), part of souther Italy, part of the Crimea, all of Persia and Central Asia and were pushing deep into northern India. And they did that without their decadence ever going higher than about 12%.

Given most of the lands I needed to take for the achievement were in the lands the Abassid's held, that was a problem. Luckily there was a Chinese Emperor who liked my culture so I sold off a lot of family members to him to be able to afford the invasion, which mostly solved the Abassid problem.

That wasn't the strange one though. Once the Crusades got going, the Catholics were busy dealing with the Umayyads and reformed Germanics for a time, and of course the 4th Crusade which took Constantinople after the weakened Byzantines had managed to retake it following the fall of the Abassids, only to spring a truely bizarre one. Despite Egypt and Jerusalem being still held by Muslims, as well as the whole of the Middle East, they decided to go for a Crusade for Persia of all places, which I held. There were no borders between me and any Catholic lands and there had never been any wars between Catholics and the Eastern religions either before. It was the oddest crusade to call.

And doomed to fail as they had to march all the way from Europe, across the Muslim held middle east (taking attrition from lack of supplies) and then attack my numerically superior forces in mountains.
    Wow, that is weird. If https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Crusade..._target_weight is up to date, Persia has literally 0 target weight; Egypt or Jerusalem should probably have come first.

EDIT: Yeah, I went data diving, k_persia doesn't have a Catholic target weight. (File in question is common/landed_titles/landed_titles.txt; note how k_persia has values for "muslim", "zoroastrian_group", and "zun_pagan_reformed", but not "catholic". I did learn that some of the holy site locations have explanations, though:

c_sistan = {
    holy_site = zoroastrian # Lake Hamun / Mount Khwaja
    }
    Also, TIL about the White Hun achievement. That's kind of an oddball thing for Paradox to include.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2020-07-02 at 11:28 PM.
    ithilanor on Steam.