New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread V: Umayyad Bro?

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Kingdom claims or nothing! Life is to short to claims land county by county, duchy by dychy.

Oh, what are the benefits of haivng "friendly" cardinals? I found I can chip in to help my bishops get a red hat, but is it worth my (peasant's) hard earned cash?
    The number of cardinals you control is a factor in some of the Pope's decision-making and it increases the chances that one of your former vassals becomes Pope (which is a good thing if you've made sure your vassals like you), but I'd never spend money on it. The best way to get cardinals is to control as many bishops as possible, and that's best doen with a sword.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kingdom claims or nothing! Life is to short to claims land county by county, duchy by dychy.
    You can't forge kingdom claims with a chancellor, last time I checked. I know what you mean, though; it's hard to get excited over taking a three-county duchy when you've just pressed a claim to the entire HRE.
    ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

You can forge kingdom titles, it just requires the Become King ambition.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    That's the odds of success on.. I want to say a monthly basis?
    Are you sure? Because it says yearly basis when I hover over it.

Spoiler: Screenshot
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    You can forge kingdom titles, it just requires the Become King ambition.
    Ah right, forgot about that. How does that work, anyways? Do you use your chancellor, or is it a plot?
    ithilanor on Steam.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Ah right, forgot about that. How does that work, anyways? Do you use your chancellor, or is it a plot?
    I dunno, every time i run Become King there's no king of the area I'm becoming king of.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

I dunno, every time i run Become King there's no king of the area I'm becoming king of.
    Supposedly you can forge claims on any kingdom if you are running the "become king of X" ambition, but I have never tried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I think you have to be a duke. Probably with some kind of claim. I lost an election and was demoted and I think had th eoption. I was gonna putz about as a duke for abit but the new king started making disasterous wars causing duckies and counties to be lost to the neigbours so I activated my claim and took back the throne.

I've noticed the same, if there is no de jure kingdom formed you can pick the become king ambition. Done that in Ireland.

The other exception I think is when you pick a historical start like Gillauome le Batard has a claim on England and I think the ambition possible?

And the Norman Dukes of Southern Intaly can have Become King of Sicily (or Both Sicilies?).

There's no way to spread the religion outside you controlled territory? I was thinking, I get single county barons at my borders who like me and see how powerful I am but refuse to become vassal because False Religion (TM). Really I should be allowed to proselyse elsewhere. That is in fact how christianity spread in my neck of the woods.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

There's no way to spread the religion outside you controlled territory? I was thinking, I get single county barons at my borders who like me and see how powerful I am but refuse to become vassal because False Religion (TM). Really I should be allowed to proselyse elsewhere. That is in fact how christianity spread in my neck of the woods.
    As a christian you can send your court chaplain to the capital counties of countries to try and convert them from the top. No converting the neighbours though, which is actually rather odd now that you mention it

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    As a christian you can send your court chaplain to the capital counties of countries to try and convert them from the top. No converting the neighbours though, which is actually rather odd now that you mention it
    Only in my own realm though? Or? If I pick prozelyte only non-catholic provinces in my realm pop green. Or purple. I now forget which one was the one that lets me. Or maybe I've not zoomed out enoguh to check what options exist. I definitely got the feeling the pagans in the county next over are immune.

Just started thinking if there was something I was missing. Like the aformentioned cardinal bribes. Or forts. Or any of the hundreds of things I've not understood yet.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-07-04 at 03:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Only in my own realm though? Or? If I pick prozelyte only non-catholic provinces in my realm pop green. Or purple. I now forget which one was the one that lets me. Or maybe I've not zoomed out enoguh to check what options exist. I definitely got the feeling the pagans in the county next over are immune.

Just started thinking if there was something I was missing. Like the aformentioned cardinal bribes. Or forts. Or any of the hundreds of things I've not understood yet.
    As I just stated you CAN NOT convert neighbouring counties. You CAN send your chaplain to the CAPITAL counties of other pagan countries, and try to convert them through their ruler. Although sometimes you can't for reasons I've yet to fathom and mostly it just ends up with a chaplain being sacrificed to pagan gods
    Last edited by Driderman; 2019-07-04 at 03:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    As I just stated you CAN NOT convert neighbouring counties. You CAN send your chaplain to the CAPITAL counties of other pagan countries, and try to convert them through their ruler. Although sometimes you can't for reasons I've yet to fathom and mostly it just ends up with a chaplain being sacrificed to pagan gods
    Hmmm can I make my son Chaplain and send him to convert some pagans?
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    Hmmm can I make my son Chaplain and send him to convert some pagans?
    As long as he isn't landed, yes. It's one of my favourite ways to remove disappointments.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Colossus in the Playground

Did they fix the thing where if you have a minor claim, you can declare a war for a woman or child's major claim, place them on the throne, then immediately declare war on them and easily defeat them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone know if there's any mods that give esoteric knowledge more of a use? I've got so much esoteric knowledge, and nothing that feels worthwhile using it on. It'd be nice to be able to use it to buy ingredients, or perhaps have ingredients actually be used for potion making beyond Eudaimonia, which you only want to gather herbs for anyway.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

I wish scrying was less of a trap - if you don't do something to trigger bad vision, you can accidentally maim yourself.

17. - Top - End - #107

So what's a good start for somewhere in the Persia region for someone who's never done anything outside of Europe yet? I'm kinda feeling like playing again and that seemed as good a place as any to try something different.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

I like the elder Bavandid in 769 for that. He's a Zoroastrian duke on the northern edge of Persia, and his gameplan is very simple - become king of Daylum, then emperor of Persia. Now, you are a heathen in the eyes of your overlord, so it's not all roses, but there are steps to negate that. First things first, park your chancellor somewhere up the Caliph's butt - you want to kiss up as much as possible. Secondly, beeline for Legalism 3 and religious revocation. Thirdly, if the Caliph or his heir spawn with Zealous, your game is pretty much sunk from the get-go, they'll revoke you down to your county titles and put you under a king to not deal with you. The magic number for revocations is somewhere like -40 opinion, and he won't revoke your kingdom title (most of the time), so once you're a king you're usually safe. In the meantime, stock up on chinese artifacts - you can use them as emergency bribes if the Caliph starts revoking your counties, which has happened to me twice in all the times I've played this start.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone know if the oversee construction job of the Steward has an effect on the build time of Great Works? I can't seem to find a confirmation on if it does or doesn't anywhere.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

The Throne of Mr. Tiggy-Winkleland is mine!

21. - Top - End - #111

Crusader Kings II is currently on a humble bundle. Looks like the base game and some DLC are available for $1, some more expansions are added when more than the average is donated, and all expansions (but not content packs) are added at $15.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    The Throne of Mr. Tiggy-Winkleland is mine!
    Bloody succession in the middle of a war giving rise to factions getting really uppity because your forces are depleted. But then the faction who wanted increased council power attacked the army of the faction who wanted the throne, and then the winner charged across a river into the hills to get me. I told them to get bent with their demands because I knew I wasn't at full power, but I didn't expect it to go like this.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Bloody succession in the middle of a war giving rise to factions getting really uppity because your forces are depleted. But then the faction who wanted increased council power attacked the army of the faction who wanted the throne, and then the winner charged across a river into the hills to get me. I told them to get bent with their demands because I knew I wasn't at full power, but I didn't expect it to go like this.
    Oh, I love 3 sided civil wars. I think I once managed to get 3 simultaneous revolts against my rule as byzantine emperor. If the AI could use boats for beans it would have gone much worse. However, maneuverability is nearly as powerful in CK2 as in real life.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Oh, I love 3 sided civil wars. I think I once managed to get 3 simultaneous revolts against my rule as byzantine emperor. If the AI could use boats for beans it would have gone much worse. However, maneuverability is nearly as powerful in CK2 as in real life.
    It ended up kind of five-sided as two neighboring independent dukes decided to press claims and I had to clear their occupying forces out of the rebels' lands before I could even White Peace. Beheading the leader of a revolt should give you *some* warscore too.
    Last edited by BannedInSchool; 2019-08-02 at 09:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm not sure how much fan overlap there is between CK2 players and EU4 players, but my Pocket feed threw an interesting article at me about PI's "Grandest LAN party" - a 4-day, 40-teams/100+players EU4 megatournament hosted in a 17th century Polish castle with all the participants cosplaying as their respective nations.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/...=pocket-newtab

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Managed to get my crazy father canonized as a saint. He lucked into the Voice of Jesus event, which gave him all the virtues (sadly Patient was lost before Chaste was gained and gave me the full set at once) and Jesus's hilariously great military advice. Also, not long after Jesus's military advice he also became a werewolf.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Voice of Jesus
    werewolf.
    I guess the church thought he was a Very Good Boy, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, I've got one for this.

Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

29. - Top - End - #119

Just conquered Ireland in the 936 start. Now I am trying to decide how to break up England (which I sadly cannot get the bloodline for since the only guy died without issue). I do have several members of my dynasty with 4 bloodlines. I just need to cross the streams to get up to 5 (and like +30 PCS from bloodlines.) I almost got dynasts with the blood of Caradog, but either he was sterile or my dynast was.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Just conquered Ireland in the 936 start. Now I am trying to decide how to break up England (which I sadly cannot get the bloodline for since the only guy died without issue). I do have several members of my dynasty with 4 bloodlines. I just need to cross the streams to get up to 5 (and like +30 PCS from bloodlines.) I almost got dynasts with the blood of Caradog, but either he was sterile or my dynast was.
    How'd you get that many bloodlines? Just marrying strategically?
    ithilanor on Steam.