New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread V: Umayyad Bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    It's not a button that's often used and I often forget it exists myself. I'm not surprised.
    I'm even slightly worried because it's been part of the UI I've been looking at a lot trying to find exactly that information out. Still did not notice.

I'll say I do play with a 28" screen at quite a distance, I can't easily read most of the text in-game either. As I say, the UI is very cluttered, I understand why in a game like this. It's complex. But still it does kinda bothers me.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I'm even slightly worried because it's been part of the UI I've been looking at a lot trying to find exactly that information out. Still did not notice.

I'll say I do play with a 28" screen at quite a distance, I can't easily read most of the text in-game either. As I say, the UI is very cluttered, I understand why in a game like this. It's complex. But still it does kinda bothers me.
    Honestly, I only ever used it once, and that because I spotted it and wondered what it did. It's not actually all that useful in CK2, where the decision that sparked this whole tangent* is pretty much the only thing that goes off regions, with the other 99.99% keying off of county/duchy/kingdom/empire.

*And I guess the Black Death, which is "everything in Europe - except ONE out of this list of a handful of regions - dies"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm having a really weird case of murder plots happening here. My young emperor of Scandinavia is being targetted for assassination by my half-brother. That in itself isn't too weird. What is weird is this.

The plotter is kind, and so should not be performing murder plots.
    The plotter has a high opinion of me (65) and so should not be performing murder plots against me.
    The plotter already HAS a murder plot going on against someone else entirely, and so shouldn't be able to plot against anyone else.

And at the very least, I should be able to fire him from regency after it's been revealed that he attempted to have me killed.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems to me that the fountain of youth does not extend the fertility of women. Despite being ostensibly less than 45 years old, my Empress isn't having any more kids. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    It seems to me that the fountain of youth does not extend the fertility of women. Despite being ostensibly less than 45 years old, my Empress isn't having any more kids. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
    There is, afaik, a hardcap of 8 living children for any character. My immortal Khagan had some trouble with that, I recall.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Ofh. That might be it. I had an ultimogeniture setup, where I was trying to have my two genius parents pop out at least one genius kid to carry on their legacy. No such luck, and my 8th child was... kinda the worst..

Ah well, at least if that's the case, then the fountain of youth wasn't a waste of an investment after all. I'll just need other means of stopping popping out kids besides celibacy, since that's only a decision after your sixth child.

EDIT: Huh. Perhaps I'll end up having a grandchild inherit at the end of it all. I won a game of chess with death!
    Last edited by Maryring; 2019-10-17 at 02:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

In case anybody missed it, CK3 announcement.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    In case anybody missed it, CK3 announcement.
    Ah, so that's why base CK2 is free now.

edit: Rockpapershotgun has some more info.
    Last edited by Narkis; 2019-10-19 at 06:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159

PirateCaptain

Having read the RockPaperShotgun article, I'm a little concerned about the stress mechanic (which feels like it's restricting playstyle) and very concerned about the Deus Vult! thing. I get not wanting to be associated with the far right, but making a game about religious war in the medieval era without anything that could be construed as supporting medieval-style religious war seems like a good way to leave nobody satisfied. Was there a particular problem of CK2 being a rallying point for neo-nazis?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

The article saying that the words Deus vult won't be in the game seems to be a very far cry from claiming that there won't be any religious wars in the game.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2019-10-19 at 07:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground

Very down for the Stress mechanic. Seems like a reasonable balance for the designers to soft-push role-play incentives!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I just hope its one of those things they let you disable if you don't want to have to bother dealing with it. Its all well and good from a simulationist standpoint, but sometimes you just want your immortal Viking queen to conquer all of the known world.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #163

I don't really see that happening tbh, for a opening-day mechanic that enforces what is likely a key pillar of the game in the eyes of the devs: role-playing. Could just be wishful thinking on my part though, this is a dream mechanic for my style of play, and I like to think that the devs share my point of view.

I'm sure it's easily modded out for people who want to go for the wacky road, hopefully.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I don't really see that happening tbh, for a opening-day mechanic that enforces what is likely a key pillar of the game in the eyes of the devs: role-playing. Could just be wishful thinking on my part though, this is a dream mechanic for my style of play, and I like to think that the devs share my point of view.

I'm sure it's easily modded out for people who want to go for the wacky road, hopefully.
    I don't know, they let you disable vassal limits and territory limits in CK2, and vassal management is kind of one of the core ideas of the game.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Having read the RockPaperShotgun article, I'm a little concerned about the stress mechanic (which feels like it's restricting playstyle) and very concerned about the Deus Vult! thing. I get not wanting to be associated with the far right, but making a game about religious war in the medieval era without anything that could be construed as supporting medieval-style religious war seems like a good way to leave nobody satisfied. Was there a particular problem of CK2 being a rallying point for neo-nazis?
    I once saw an image of the stereotypical internet alt-right starter set. It comprised Chivarly:MW, Mordhau, and CK2. It's not a problem with CK2, it's just that there is an effort to appropriate the Middle-Ages that has also left scholars worried. In some countries, something similar happened to Tolkien's work.

From my point of view, the problem with Deus vult is that it was left in Latin. I grew up knowing the phrase in its translated form, and my perception of it is that it's comically jarring, for how arrogant and out of touch it was. Call this an effect of retrospective. But, if you leave it in Latin, well, it instead suddenly becomes comical for how overzealous and Space-Mariney it sounds. The alt-right uses jokes to build its own sense of identity and to presents itself to the world in a more-or-less acceptable way, so they got on it.
    (A little detail: historically, it probably wasn't said in Latin but in vulgar language (Deus le volt), since Latin sources report it in this form.)

On the other hand, one of the most common European battlecries ever has AFAIK never been included in CK2, and it's probably for the best. So maybe Deus Vult can take the bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Not that I know of. Personally, I have no big attachment to "Deus Vult", so I don't mind if they change it. But part of the enjoyment of the game is in how it represents medieval culture and mindsets. The game is full of horrible things that we've since grown past. It should still be represented, warts and all. Otherwise, why even set the game during the middle ages?

Anyway, what kind of DLC from CK2 do you think will be part of the base experience in CK3? It seems that Way Of Life focuses are making a reappearance at least. I'd also be surprised if they don't keep at least some of the religions besides Christianity. Islam and Germanic are sure bets I'd say. At least one Dharmic religion and Judaism are also highly likely. They're apparently ditching republics and nomads, but I'm hoping that you'll still at least have tribals at start. I also hope that they're keeping the Reaper's Due and Bloodlines in the base game.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I don't know the source, but I've seen people say the entire map is going to be playable without DLC, so it looks like there's not gonna be any religious restrictions in who you can play as.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that they aren't going to recycle all of the DLC, a la the Sims. That would have been the easy road. Kudos to the devs for not taking it.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The real question is, will you be able to recreate the playthrough where sapient horse-people exterminate humanity?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The real question is, will you be able to recreate the playthrough where sapient horse-people exterminate humanity?
    You SHOULD or I'm boycotting.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What is even the point of a sequel if it's gonna be missing basic features from the previous game?

Also Rockpapershotgun updated the article:
    Quote Originally Posted by RPS
    Update – Henrik Fåhraeus offered this comment: “I feel like this issue has been miscommunicated thus far. We have not specifically considered which terms are used in the game apart from making sense in the historical context. The team will decide how any text fits or does not fit into CK3 in a way that feels appropriate.”
    So it was nothing. I'm not sure how something like that could be "miscommunicated". Apparently the article's writer heard what he wanted to hear? Damn, I thought RPS was above such mistakes.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RPS
    I’ll be writing more about how Paradox are handling the political sensitivities of making a game about the crusades, and how they’re handling the representation of non-European cultures, in the weeks to come.
    Honestly, I do think the writer has a bugbear to pick with the game, so yeah. Wouldn't put too much stock in their integrity.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    So it was nothing. I'm not sure how something like that could be "miscommunicated". Apparently the article's writer heard what he wanted to hear? Damn, I thought RPS was above such mistakes.
    Or the writer wrote exactly what he was told, and the devs are now in damage control because of all the whining going on in their forums right now. So they reached out and said, "No, wait, that's not what we meant."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Or the writer wrote exactly what he was told, and the devs are now in damage control because of all the whining going on in their forums right now. So they reached out and said, "No, wait, that's not what we meant."
    I'm more inclined to give Paradox the benefit of the doubt here. Taking out just these words in a game where you can do truly horrible thing is a very odd decision that will not appease the people who have a problem with said horrible things, and predictably upset many fans. And the writer, as Maryring said, very obviously has an axe to grind. He has a clearer motive to misinterpret or lie than Paradox.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had an interesting development in my current game. For some reason, the Aztec invasion of 866 ignored Europe and the British Isles entirely, focusing entirely on the Muslim empires of North Africa. So, instead of rolling over the fragmented Christian powers and the growing but still-shaky Norse, they slammed into the most powerful powers on the map, shattering the biggest threat to me and ruining themselves in the process - the event troops are gone, and their local vassals are rebelling.

26. - Top - End - #176

And the writer, as Maryring said, very obviously has an axe to grind. He has a clearer motive to misinterpret or lie than Paradox.
    Why? That's honestly not clear to me, is there a past history?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I've had an interesting development in my current game. For some reason, the Aztec invasion of 866 ignored Europe and the British Isles entirely, focusing entirely on the Muslim empires of North Africa. So, instead of rolling over the fragmented Christian powers and the growing but still-shaky Norse, they slammed into the most powerful powers on the map, shattering the biggest threat to me and ruining themselves in the process - the event troops are gone, and their local vassals are rebelling.
    I've had something similarly nice happen to me in the past, the Abbasids broke up and the largest of the successor states was Egypt, which comprised the whole of Egypt and the Horn of Africa (two or three kingdoms held by the same person). I had just got the Alexander bloodline, so I used the invasion casus belli. It was the largest addiction to my state yet, and with very nice cities, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #177

MonkGuy

One of the problems I often find in CK2 games, is that it's easy to do something that seems sensible or harmless, and then several years later, it turns out to have massive, serious consequences. Either because you didnt' quite understand the game mechanics, or you didn't anticipate how events would unfold. What sort of things have you done that came back to bite you?

For example, in my current game, after a few holy and claim wars, I found myself way over my holding and vassel limit. So I gave a duchy to my heir. I knew this would make him independent, but thought it wouldn't cause any problems, because he would stay within my liege's realm, and I would get it back when I died and he inherited. Except when that did happen, I discovered that he had changed his succession laws to gavelkind. And then I died before I could put it back to ultimogeniture, resulting in my realm fracturing and me losing some of my best holdings.

In other news:
    Spoiler: Oh my God, look at the border gore
    Show

Of particular note:
    • The Norse/Germanics are everywhere. Particularly Noregr (Yngling), "Skotland" (also Yngling), and Pomerania (not Yngling). Between them, they've taken almost all the British Isles apart from a couple of independent counts (Hereford and Ceredigion) . Oh, and York is now a county in Sweden.
      • Noregr has taken most of England, Wales, and Ireland, random bits of France, Holland, Spain, central/eastern Europe, and (not visible here) Faros, Iceland, parts of Tunis, and various islands and coastal counties on the top of Russia.
      • Skotland has taken most of Scotland, a big chunk of southern England, random bits of Wales, Ireland and France, and a big chunk of Sweden.
      • Pomerania not only has most of Sweden (which in turn has moved to Finland) and Denmark (which has moved to Norway), but also took Padua from the Pope. (I tried to holy-war it back, but pretty much the entire north of Europe decended on me and I was forced to make a white peace).
    • Converesely, Italy and the Papacy both control random bits of France. (In typical CK2 style, one of my vassels inherited a load of counties in the middle of France, and I didn't even notice until it got raided by Vikings).
    • The Papacy also owns most of Ifriqua (although probably not for much longer, due to an onging Jihad), and about half of Kanem.
    • Tzul is fragmented into at least two (non-contiguous) realms after I pushed one of my relative's claims on the Tzul clan. So now there is a Greek Catholic horde running around Ukraine/Russia.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

I'm more inclined to give Paradox the benefit of the doubt here. Taking out just these words in a game where you can do truly horrible thing is a very odd decision that will not appease the people who have a problem with said horrible things, and predictably upset many fans.
    That's not really the issue, though. Yes, you can do terrible things in these games, including killing babies, as the trailer suggests. But those particular Latin words are used by a specific modern day group as a rallying cry, and it's a group that Paradox would understandably not want to be associated with. I mean, if actual baby-killers started using that trailer (and other CK images) as memes about how great baby-killing is, and holding it up as proof that Paradox is totally pro-baby-killing, I would imagine they'd remove that element from their games, too, just to be safe.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

If Paradox did damage control every time there was whining on the forums, they'd be in the MCU and running the Dept for Damage Control.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, so that's why base CK2 is free now.
    Damn, I live under a rock and I genuinely thought it was for a different reason.

Hey hey, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.