New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default When the dice just hate you! (a rant!)

So I need to let off some d&d steam. Last night we were caught in 15 corridor and the scout (me) had seen a group of 5 goblins riding wolves coming around the corner. With few options we decided make a front line and fight.

I quickly threw down 5 bags of caltrops covering a 3x6 area in front of us thinking that it will soften them up and half their movement if we need to run away. We then all readied ranged attacks as the enemy came around the corner.

After the initial volley, the goblins attacked into my carefully laid trap. I rolled 28 attack rolls for the caltrops and needed a 12 or higher to hit. Only 2 succeeded, and one of those the DM used mounted combat to negate.

Two successes on twenty eight dice! It is clear that the dice gods hate me.

Has anyone else had similar experiences of absolute dice failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: When the dice just hate you! (a rant!)

Did you use the same d20 for all those rolls? If so, I'll just leave this here.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Feantar View Post
    Did you use the same d20 for all those rolls? If so, I'll just leave this here.
    No, I rolled 3 D20's. Usually they give a nice range of results, but last night they just wanted me dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

In my first game of Exalted, my first two rolls were a botch and a failure. Thankfully nonlethal, but STILL...

(I still think the Unconquered Sun meant to Exalt the guy next to me, but had bad aim....)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I once went a session where I could not get higher than an 8 on a D20. I was a support caster so it was just initiative and a few skill checks, maybe a dozen rolls. Still sucked.

One player in my group went an entire short campaign averaging a 5 or less on the d20. We actually started keeping track as he was our skillmonkey and face...didn't go so hot.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I had a rogue in Pathfinder for 9 months that weirdly enough failed most of his skill checks by 2-3 points most of the times. It was a hilariously sad combination of just enough bad luck and lacking optimization coming together in almost Donald Duck-esque bad luck.

The bad luck finally broke my fun with the character when in two subsequent sessions, my rogue first robbed a dwarven merchant and tripped over his son, knocking the kid out bleeding. When I was sentenced, we pursued a dwarven cleric lich who cast blade barrier.

The paladin walked through the barrier, taking minimal half damage (which he healed with a swift action lay on hands), meanwhile my character... let's just say bad rolls for me mean good rolls for the DM, plus evasion does NOTHING when you fail the reflex save. So I went in a single turn from 100% to dying, while the paladin stood next to me wondering what killed the rogue THIS TIME.

If you see the sheet for Ferrin in 5e in my signature, that character is a spoof on my past rogue. Fittingly he has the Lucky feat to compensate for bad rolls, and it has already pulled me out a few times.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-02-15 at 04:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There's a thread here somewhere where a chain of fumbles and a fumble table led to someone in their first fight on the character biting off their own head.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've had a session where the dice wanted my players dead. I rolled in front of them so they could see in horror as each D20 came up a nat 20. They lent me their dice, because mine must be loaded, only for them to turn out to be nat 20s as well. I finally rolled a hit that was not a nat 20, but the attack--this being 4e--did 10d6 worth of damage. That turned out to be 58.

Every roll was just followed by me saying "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I have no idea how they survived that session.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2019-02-15 at 05:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

EvilClericGuy

Blowtorch'em. Fire purifies all dice.

Suite mate in college would hex anybody's dice if he touched them. Can confirm this superpower still existed 15 years later.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

In a 1-20 campaign I’m currently playing a swordsage. The first ever time I got to roll 6 bonus d6 (sneak attack for 2d6 and one of the +4d6 maneuvers), I rolled a 7.

I think my base damage die was a 1 as well.
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

You should see some of my characters´ fate on this very forum. I had three characters receive critical max damage on the first encounter of their respective campaign.

Its especially funny considering that I usually roll well irl.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

As my party members can attest, I cannot save versus a Ghast's paralyzing touch even if my life is on the line. I sat out no less than three combats in that adventure because I kept rolling twos. At least Reflex was my saving grace... at least until later in the session, when I tried to jump over a trap zone, traveled instead 5ft directly onto the pressure plate, and rolled a 3 on my Reflex save to avoid being dumped into the pit.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Our party's fighter struggles to roll higher than a 10 on the die for attack rolls. Everything else is great. Strength checks, skill checks, initiative checks. But Tymora won't let him land half his hits, apparently. Likewise, with my character's breath weapon (currently 2d6), I keep rolling 1s and 2s. And since the save DC isn't very high yet, I keep doing 1 or 2 damage to enemies.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I recently had a Changeling Rogue player who couldn't roll more than 5 on a social skill check- until it didn't matter. The two successful checks I can remember were one to fabricate the actual name of a Drow he had bodysnatched, and the other was to convince all of the patrons of a tavern that he was the real owner, and evict them.

He failed many, many checks that would have avoided fights entirely, and didn't happen to have picked the right languages for several of the places we went. He had a perfectly valid build, but just couldn't get the dice to agree with that assessment.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am a legend in our group for how much my dice want me dead or as ineffective as possible. To the point where my favorite character was my Kingdoms of Kalamar Cleric of the Merciful Fates, because I hyper specialized in healing. (And the freaking Heal SKILL)

Two of the most legendary moments are, surprise suprise, from 40k tabletops.

First, Black Crusade. Playing a heavy weapons corrupted Space Marine with a plasma cannon. First roll, of the first combat, of the campaign, I rolled the EXACT number to make the Plasma Cannon "vent" and cause me equivalent damage as though I had taken a shot from it.

Me: "okay, with my TB and Armor and Wounds, I'll still have 8 wounds if I roll snake-eyes, anymore than that will hurt worse but—"

Max. Damage.

The DM said that the plasma cannon exploded in a mushroom cloud and my character was completely disintegrated, which I agreed with because it was appropriate.

3 sessions later, there was a TPK due to a Tzeentchian Sorcerer pulling a Dark Eldar horror out of a box to use on us. He died to the characters who were left, which included mine, (heavy weapon with a Lascannon because I LEARNED THAT LESSON) but I was still d—ked over by my dice. Being the last one alive and in point blank range of the horror, which I fluffed as jamming the barrel against it and pulling the trigger, my dice did just BARELY enough damage to go over it's DR. Not enough to kill it, got my face torn off, TPK.

From there, I was forbidden from playing a Psyker in 40k games, until the most recent one. It as actually gone SUPRISINGLY well, with me playing someone whose as devout as a priest while being a pyro-focused Psyker in a Rogue Trader game that uses rules from DH2. And that's so I could use the Pure Faith Talent from Rogue Trader, along with Warp-Lock to prevent horrible Warp Phenomenon/Perils of the Warp from happening.

The one, and only one, time that I had to USE Warp-Lock was using a 5PR Molten Beam, while Pushing, against a Champion of Tzeentch because I wanted to do a Kamehameha on a b—ch. And being in point-blank range (AGAIN) meant the entirety of it's DR was negated.

I took max damage (5) for the backlash from Warp Lock, and my damage roll against the Champion was juuuuusst enough to NOT kill it, but leave it so wounded that getting pegged by a freaking LASGUN from one of the Rogue Trader's NPC mook squad finished it off...my dice aren't just murderous, they're insulting.
    "YOU HAVE UNCORKED A SH-TSTORM FOR WHICH THERE IS NO LONGER A BOTTLE!!!"

"And a quick Google search lead to the cavernous hell of a Shoggoths bunghole, as most google searches tend to do..."

"I have ideas. But Osama bin Laden had ideas too, so I talk with my friends to make sure I don't make a colossal F-ck up."

In the words of that ancient guardsman hero Ollanius Pius, "Why the hell is everything always our job?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

You should play this
    Hand d4 d6 d8 d10 d12 d20 d%
    Five of a Kind 4 6 8 10 12 20 100
    Four of a Kind 60 150 280 450 660 1,900 49,500
    Straight N/A 240 480 720 960 1,920 11,520
    Full House 120 300 560 900 1320 3,800 99,000
    Three of a Kind 240 1,200 3,360 7,200 13,200 68,400 9,702,000
    Two Pairs 360 1,800 5,040 10,800 19,800 102,600 14,553,000
    One Pair 240 3,600 16,800 50,400 118,800 1,162,800 941,094,000
    High Pips N/A 480 6,240 29,520 94,080 1,858,560 9,034,490,880
    Total 1024 7,776 32,768 100,000 248,832 3,200,000 10,000,000,000

3d20 take middle vs bell curve roles, vs Poker Rolls.

Poker Rolls: roll 5 dice, take the middle roll and add a bonus based on the class.
    1. One Pair = +1
    2. Two Pairs = +2
    3. Three of a Kind = +3
    4. Full House = +4
    5. Straight Flush = +5
    6. Four of a Kind = +6
    7. Five of a Kind = +7

Edit: Mess up the Role and Roll very often.
    Last edited by HouseRules; 2019-02-16 at 11:10 AM.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character