New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dispel Magic vs Illusions

If a creature has a high level, non-mind effecting illusion over themselves to pretend to be something else, and a wizard fails on their dispel check, does the wizard know they failed?

Specifically, this is a dispel magic being cast on a mind blanked creature, and the wizard thinks a dispel magic might be able to discern if the creature is who they say they are, or just using an illusion.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dispel Magic vs Illusions

yes, they know they failed.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

They'll know they failed a caster level check, but not what spell or spell effect they were checking against, unless they'd already positively identified the effect in question.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon X View Post
    If a creature has a high level, non-mind effecting illusion over themselves to pretend to be something else, and a wizard fails on their dispel check, does the wizard know they failed?

Specifically, this is a dispel magic being cast on a mind blanked creature, and the wizard thinks a dispel magic might be able to discern if the creature is who they say they are, or just using an illusion.
    Or just use true seeing? Mind blank doesn't stop it, since it doesn't target the mind blanked creature, nor does it protect the illusion from divinations, only the creature that the illusion is on, so even if you ascribe to the notion that mind blank protects you from true seeing, it still doens't protect the illusions cast on you.

Now, if it was a polymorph effect, that would be a different circumstance.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

A few notes on True Seeing for the purpose:

It's effectiveness is debatable, and the DM wins regardless of which side of the debate anyone else is on.

Also, it's got an expensive component, and is of very specific use (penetrate magic disguises). Dispel Magic, on the other hand, applies to anything with spells or spell like abilities, or magic items, and is free to cast. It'll be a more common spell to prepare.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-07-17 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Eye Halve a spelling checquer....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #6

Great guys. That gives me lots to use.

Does anyone have a source on that Dispel Magic tells you if you fail to dispel something?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

dispel magic or casting spells You know when enemies fail saves against your spells/ whether you beat their sr/ etc as a matter of course.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    dispel magic or casting spells You know when enemies fail saves against your spells/ whether you beat their sr/ etc as a matter of course.
    Yes, but dispel magic has neither a save, nor SR. The saves part (and maybe the SR part too, I'm not sure) also only applies to targeted spells, not area ones, so it wouldn't apply for an area dispel, but either way, dispel magic has neither a save nor SR so that rule doesn't really apply.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Yes, but dispel magic has neither a save, nor SR. The saves part (and maybe the SR part too, I'm not sure) also only applies to targeted spells, not area ones, so it wouldn't apply for an area dispel, but either way, dispel magic has neither a save nor SR so that rule doesn't really apply.
    Right, but you keep going until you fail. If you dispel the spell, your gm tells you so and you stop. If you fail, he tells you to keep going. That will tell you, in the example, whether you undo the spell.

Iron Chef Medals!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Right, but you keep going until you fail. If you dispel the spell, your gm tells you so and you stop. If you fail, he tells you to keep going. That will tell you, in the example, whether you undo the spell.
    Except you don't know what "the" spell is, and you also don't know if the roll you just did was a success, or if it was simply the last spell on the target. Plus your DM might roll in secret, or ask you to roll a bunch of dice all at once and tell him the results in order, etc. There are plenty of ways for a DM to obscure information you're not necessarily going to have access to.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The spell says that you make the checks. The DM can always choose to hide information (even breaking the rules to do so) so that doesn't seem useful to note. I already mentioned that you don't get information on the spells you do or don't succeed on.

In a high level game I played, targeted Greater Dispel was always a fun journey of discovery on NPCs sporting a variety of spells. Would they stop flying? Change their appearance? Maybe they were Polymorphed all along!

12. - Top - End - #12

Here it is:
    Succeeding on a Saving Throw
    A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.
    Last edited by Falcon X; 2019-07-18 at 01:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon X View Post
    Here it is:
    Well, did you mean targeted or area dispel magic? Because obviously those will have different answers.

Iron Chef Medals!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs down Re: Dispel Magic vs Illusions

If the dispeller knows that there is an effect to dispel and received a "failed" outcome, that's one thing and they just try again.

But if they are oblivious, then recived a "failed" outcome... They might assume there wasn't anything to dispel.

If there is no magic to dispel, you would still get a negatory response... Right? It's not really helpful information to know you failed. (Unless you know there's magic present)
    Last edited by jintoya; 2019-07-18 at 03:05 PM.