New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread: Making monster PCs VI-able

Yup, LA +0 for Elans. I'd play one over playing, say, a Human, for some builds. Like the "easy mode" Wizard I once heard about - Elan Wizard 20, who takes that feat to boost the Elan's damage reduction to 4/pp expended, and then takes Psionic Talent for every other feat. A self-imposed nerf while at the same time making for a surprisingly tough caster.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think they are worse than human, but there are still times I'd take them over human. +0.

-2 total stats isn't good, but Cha is generally 6th place there. Aberration type can matter and even be abused on occasion. 2 PP's that can be used to buff yourself mildly or not need to eat. Maybe not human/dwarf/whisper gnome good, but it does quite well in narrow uses, and is never awful. Far better than half-elf, say.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

Elans are a pretty easy +0.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Elan are a fascinating race concept: immortal lifeforms with some unique psychic powers, created for some unknown purpose by a mysterious council. It's a pity no setting I know of actually uses this for anything.
    The treatment they got in 4e is a little more thorough. Different, though; 'elan' is basically a template that anyone can gain via a Heritage-style feat. So you get human elans, elf elans, warforged elans, gnoll elans ... revenant pixie elans ...

I fully agree with +0.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'll just go along with everyone. Elan is by no means powerful enough to deserve +1.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

Elan are a fascinating race concept: immortal lifeforms with some unique psychic powers, created for some unknown purpose by a mysterious council. It's a pity no setting I know of actually uses this for anything.
    As far as "cool concepts introduced in a sourcebook that no setting uses for anything," I prefer the Illumians from Races of Destiny. They're basically humans who imbued themselves with a magical language and live apart from society in neat enclaves. I know that doesn't sound that cool, but they have a chapter devoted to them and other flavor stuff scattered throughout the book. The only thing I'd change is to make them a level adjustment +1 template (giving all Illumian abilities plus the original race's) instead of a separate race, because the idea of such enclaves being exclusively (ex-)human bothers me. (Not surprising, for the "human sourcebook," but still.)
    Speaking of which, RoD has a ton of weird human-derived races that might be worth a look. Plenty are obvious +0's, but some have enough abilities (and often even RHD) to earn the LA-assignment treatment. Maybe add it to the list of things to vote on after the MM4?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Dwarf in the Playground

As was mentioned above, Eberron had some cool alternate fluff for them as living quori prisons. Other than that, they are criminally under-utilized. I've played an Elan twice, once as a Psychic Warrior/Illithid Slayer, and another as a Artificer/Xelor, and neither time did the DM explore more on the fluff of them, which kinda made me sad.

Considering I went full Mindflayer hunter in the first game, I would've almost liked for the Elans to join the "We Hate Mindflayers Club" that the Gith and Duergar are in. All EPH races, all potentially united in some sweet mutual hatred of squid heads.

That said, after playing as this race, twice, in games that went from levels 5-18, they're an easy +0 LA. The Psychic Warrior was extraordinarily difficult to kill, which was fun. The artificer's race choice was one of practicality. He had a mission, and didn't know how long it would take, and that seemed like the safest route to immortality. Playing one with only 2 PP for your racials was not what I would call awesome. The occasional bonus to saves, twice a day, was cool? Certainly not worth it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    As far as "cool concepts introduced in a sourcebook that no setting uses for anything," I prefer the Illumians from Races of Destiny. They're basically humans who imbued themselves with a magical language and live apart from society in neat enclaves. I know that doesn't sound that cool, but they have a chapter devoted to them and other flavor stuff scattered throughout the book.
    Illumians were cool. In a game I was in once, we used Teleport Through Time to visit ancient Netheril, and the DM had made all the High Netherese living on the floating cities, oozing with magic, Illumians. Was cool.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elans aren't completely terrible, but they aren't that good either. They're underwhelming, at best.

They also have the dubious distinction of being one of the few intended-as-PC races that have net negative ability scores.

Are we completely sure that WotC didn't epically drop the ball and the -2 Cha was actually supposed to be a +2 Cha and the mistake was never noticed?

From what little fluff there is for the Elan, I half feel like maybe they should be a humans-only template. Or maybe get at least some of a regular human's racials, and/or get access to things (feats, PRCs, etc) as a human would.

As is, they're pretty clearly a +0. And not a particularly good one.
    I'd only play an Elan if there was a strong in-game/story reason to do so, or if I were planning a very specific build to take advantage of either the aberration type or maybe one of their power point powered racial abilities.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1299

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    Are we completely sure that WotC didn't epically drop the ball and the -2 Cha was actually supposed to be a +2 Cha and the mistake was never noticed?
    Absolutely, if they had net +2 charisma with no penalty they would be +1 LA.

Anyway, can't see any reason not to put these as +0.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Guard View Post
    Considering I went full Mindflayer hunter in the first game, I would've almost liked for the Elans to join the "We Hate Mindflayers Club" that the Gith and Duergar are in. All EPH races, all potentially united in some sweet mutual hatred of squid heads.
    For a race that apparently had a big empire going on, and which needs to eat the brains of sentient creatures to survive, there are surprisingly few races who hate illithids. I guess that when there are as many monster races as there are in D&D, you only have the energy to hate the ones which are currently threatening you?

I vaguely recall them giving a reason for the elans being less socially-competent (standard jibber-jabber about how living longer than an arbitrary human lifespan distances themselves from mere mortals or something), so probably not.

From what little fluff there is for the Elan, I half feel like maybe they should be a humans-only template. Or maybe get at least some of a regular human's racials, and/or get access to things (feats, PRCs, etc) as a human would.
    I'm not surprised they didn't. Elans (like Illumians) were designed as a race you build something on top of, not as a power-up to a pre-existing being. Whether or not this was the best way to handle creating something with the fluff those two races got, it was the best way to fulfill WotC's design goals (presumably "a normal-looking psionic race" and "a new human-derived race that exemplifies the traits of humanity we think are remarkable".)
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm not surprised they didn't. Elans (like Illumians) were designed as a race you build something on top of, not as a power-up to a pre-existing being. Whether or not this was the best way to handle creating something with the fluff those two races got, it was the best way to fulfill WotC's design goals (presumably "a normal-looking psionic race" and "a new human-derived race that exemplifies the traits of humanity we think are remarkable".)
    Comparatively both the Dragonborn egg genesis thing and Necropolitan are both a mess. And that other race, the one that which is a soul returned from it's bad end seeking a fresh start or whatever.
    All three are pseudo templates like the Illumian and Elan and all three are so poorly implemented by comparison that they have constant RAW Qs posts and threads.

12. - Top - End - #1302

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Comparatively both the Dragonborn egg genesis thing and Necropolitan are both a mess. And that other race, the one that which is a soul returned from it's bad end seeking a fresh start or whatever.
    All three are pseudo templates like the Illumian and Elan and all three are so poorly implemented by comparison that they have constant RAW Qs posts and threads.
    Eh, Dragonborn is super funky.
    But I thought Necropolitan was mostly a regular template.

Hellbourne or something, I think. From FC2?
    Yeah, the fluff sounds like it should probably be a template, but the crunch is a pure base race. I think it's a little bit like the soul gets reincarnated(concept, not spell) to start over, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a race that apparently had a big empire going on, and which needs to eat the brains of sentient creatures to survive, there are surprisingly few races who hate illithids. I guess that when there are as many monster races as there are in D&D, you only have the energy to hate the ones which are currently threatening you?
    I mean, a secret council of immortal psionicists? What's the endgame? What are their goals? Were it me, I'd honestly say they were humans who discovered the Illithid threat, and watch and hunt them- eternally. There's about a billion ways to handle "secret immortal council with mind magic", though.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I've been rereading Weapons of Legacy, and one of them (the Simple Bow) actually does feature Elans in its backstory. Nothing about their overarching goals, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

If so, the mistake was compounded when they described it in XPH (with the assumption that Charisma is about making other people feel good): elans be creepy.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, a secret council of immortal psionicists? What's the endgame? What are their goals? Were it me, I'd honestly say they were humans who discovered the Illithid threat, and watch and hunt them- eternally. There's about a billion ways to handle "secret immortal council with mind magic", though.
    I always thought it was more appropriate if the elans were the ones who eventually become the illithids.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I always thought it was more appropriate if the elans were the ones who eventually become the illithids.
    • Psionic
    • Aberrations
    • Can’t reproduce normally but instead transform humans/humanoids into more of their kind

Story checks out.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    • Psionic
    • Aberrations
    • Can’t reproduce normally but instead transform humans/humanoids into more of their kind

Story checks out.
    You've convinced me. That's a great backstory.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    • Psionic
    • Aberrations

Story checks out.
    I can't quite agree with this because illithids do reproduce naturally, it's just that their natural form is an asexual worm that grows huge. If there is a link between the two, somebody may have jacked the elan recipe and tried to use it to uplift worms, inadvertently creating the mind flayers. Maybe Kyuss is in there somewhere. That jerk loves worms.

Not to mention that elans can live way longer- without food/ brains- than mind flayers can.

I'm also biased because one time I theorycrafted someone who template stacked transformations to live forever. I think they were a human>elan>dragonborn>mindflayer who lived for like 2700 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't quite agree with this because illithids do reproduce naturally, it's just that their natural form is an asexual worm that grows huge. If there is a link between the two, somebody may have jacked the elan recipe and tried to use it to uplift worms, inadvertently creating the mind flayers. Maybe Kyuss is in there somewhere. That jerk loves worms.

Not to mention that elans can live way longer- without food/ brains- than mind flayers can.

I'm also biased because one time I theorycrafted someone who template stacked transformations to live forever. I think they were a human>elan>dragonborn>mindflayer who lived for like 2700 years.
    It could still work. First, elans are, in lore at least, not a true "race" of their own. They are more like ascended humans who achieve immortality through some outside force. I mean, you wouldn't call a 20th level monk a separate race even if they're no longer strictly "human." In addition, being dependent upon recruiting outside members to grow one's numbers is an inherent weakness, a weakness that I could believe they'd try to eliminate.

My theory is that at some point, the elans got tired of just being a secret society and sought out more. So, they did experiments upon themselves and altered the transformation ritual to try becoming a real, self-sustaining race. This ultimately altered their physiology, creating the squid face illithids.

Alternatively, I just came up with another theory that I actually like more. The elans created themselves and their society in direct opposition to the illithids, figuring that timeless bodies would be perfect for fighting beings from the future. Eventually, theynrealize they don't have the power to actually defeat the illithids and begin augmenting themselves with illithid power hoping to fight fire with fire. Eventually, they win and utterly destroy the illithids and put a stop to the second empire, but in the process, they become the original illithids and form the first empire. It's a perfect closed time loop.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It could still work. First, elans are, in lore at least, not a true "race" of their own. They are more like ascended humans who achieve immortality through some outside force. I mean, you wouldn't call a 20th level monk a separate race even if they're no longer strictly "human." In addition, being dependent upon recruiting outside members to grow one's numbers is an inherent weakness, a weakness that I could believe they'd try to eliminate.

My theory is that at some point, the elans got tired of just being a secret society and sought out more. So, they did experiments upon themselves and altered the transformation ritual to try becoming a real, self-sustaining race. This ultimately altered their physiology, creating the squid face illithids.

Alternatively, I just came up with another theory that I actually like more. The elans created themselves and their society in direct opposition to the illithids, figuring that timeless bodies would be perfect for fighting beings from the future. Eventually, theynrealize they don't have the power to actually defeat the illithids and begin augmenting themselves with illithid power hoping to fight fire with fire. Eventually, they win and utterly destroy the illithids and put a stop to the second empire, but in the process, they become the original illithids and form the first empire. It's a perfect closed time loop.
    Or we could combine the worm thing with the illithid and use goa'uld to tie it all up with a nice pretty bow!

So Illithid have worm babies which although they can survive in birthing pools can't grow into adults that way. As such they implant them into people's spines which creates elan, a race that has achieved quasi immortality through a symbiotic relationship between host and baby illithid. The growth rate of a illithid baby into an adult isn't set so sometimes it can take a couple months other times millennia or maybe never. Furthermore, they subside off of a small portion of brain fluid which effects the social aspects of the brain hence -2 charisma. When the baby illithid does become an adult the baby illithid eats the person's brain and explodes out the skull becoming the squid heads we all know and love!

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

One idea I've been kicking around, tied to the "illithids are from the future" idea, is that they're working on putting together the empire they know they'll have in the future. They know that they'll succeed, so they're perfectly willing to take any risk that might destroy illithids or crucial artifacts if they fail, because they know it won't. On the other hand, they're terrified of slightly smaller risks, because they could come to pass.

This whole discussion sent my mind going in an almost-unrelated direction.
    Has anyone here read Animorphs? Specifically the one where they fight Howlers on a tangled staircase maze inhabited by a comically-capitalistic symbiotic species called the Iskoort? I'm imagining what could be with illithid larvae as the yoort and elans as the isk. Combining the incredible psionic abilities of the illithid and the...extant psionic abilities of the elan to create an Elathid (or whatever you want to call it) would, by storyteller logic, give them enough power to seriously oppose the Illithids.

Also interesting, but more...conventional. Very "you can't fight fate," and that's a theme I've always been kinda meh on.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

I think here "hate" means "hate more than usual"; gith were specifically made as slave races for the flayers IIRC.

Hey, how do gith work in Eberron again?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hey, how do gith work in Eberron again?
    They used to live on another world of some kind, then the daelkyr destroyed it and warped some of them into the first mind flayers. Maybe.

They were on Eberron during the Xoriat invasion and escaped when it was cut off - most travelled to other planes but a small number of them settled in remote places like Khyber and Xen'drik. Some githzerai have a monastery in Adar, built in a manifest zone to not-Limbo.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2019-06-21 at 08:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

Folugub

Psionic, crystal-eating aberrations with four HD. The parallels with rust monsters are obvious, except folugubs just kind of fail to perform a similar role.

At low level, even a fully psionic party will probably own more metal items than crystal ones. This is especially true at low levels, when a dumb CR 2 monster like this is most relevant. The only way in which I could see one of those actually harm the party is by means of something like a trap set to drop fogulubs on the party psion, or something, which would be effective but hardly fun.

Stat-wise, folugubs are unimpressive. +6 constitution and dexterity, +2 wisdom, -8 intelligence, no thumbs, a weak 2d4 natural bite, scent, and 'Liquify Crystal', an ability that lets the folugub waste its one attack a turn on liquifying a piece of crystal loot. Good job, that's totally as useful as a regular 4th-level PC.

If it wasn't obvious enough, folugubs are terrible monsters, terrible PCs, and do not deserve anything other than -0 LA.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #1316

MonkGuy

Yup. Definitely -0
    3.5 Cast - A GitP member made, third edition podcast
    D&D 3.5 Discord Chat, Come one come all
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

27. - Top - End - #1317

Easy -0. Maybe some kind of weird summon vs. like gem golems? No idea in which way they are ever useful.

28. - Top - End - #1318

I think they're supposed to be the psionic item equivalent of a rust monster.

LA -0.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1319

Crystal themed Rust Monster=fail on many levels, including the chance to be a viable PC choice. This is certainly LA -0, easily.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2019-06-22 at 07:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Great from an evolutionary standpoint. Terrible from every other standpoint. -0
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-06-23 at 02:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II