Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

You know, I had this whole convoluted idea about converting my ideas into a [Tactical] feat and then making a stance that gave access to it... but in doing so, I think I condensed it down to reasonable levels without all that nonsense!

Spoiler: Wind's Style
    Show
    Wind's Style
    Oncoming Storm (Stance)
    Level: 1
    Initiation Action: 1 swift action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: Stance

The wind cares not for existing paths, making its own on a whim. Now, so can you.

While within reach of a wall (or sail, or tapestry, etc.), you may use a weapon you are wielding to slow your fall. Treat the fall as being 15ft shorter for calculating damage. Using this on a fragile surface, such as a sail, may damage it at the DM's discretion.

You can use a spear or polearm to aid you in jumping like a pole-vaulter. Add 5ft to your horizontal jump distances, and 0ft to your vertical jump distances. You may also do this with any other piercing or slashing weapon by jamming it into the ground and using it as a springboard, but doing so leaves the weapon behind at the start of your jump.

As a move action, you can run up, down, and/or across a vertical surface a total distance of 15 feet without making a Climb check. At the end of this movement you must make an appropriate Climb check to remain on the surface (if you wish to). You must sacrifice two weapons (or pieces of ammunition) per 5ft traveled to create the foot and handholds necessary for this maneuver. Ammunition used in this way is destroyed.

At IL 8, the first option decreases your damage as if you'd fallen 30ft less, increases your jumps by 10ft horizontally and 5ft vertically, and lets you travel 30ft before a Climb check. At IL 15, these numbers increase again to 60ft, 20ft/10ft, and 60ft.

Numbers may need to be tweaked; perhaps drastically. I'm basing the current ones off of Monk, and frankly I don't know how good that is for predicting usefulness. On the one hand, I don't want to completely outshine Monk with a 1st level stance; OTOH these are absolutely T5 Monk abilities, and we're balancing to T3. To solve that problem, it might be best to just cut the scaling out entirely, leaving high level movement to the Grace of the Winds stance.

On a completely unrelated note, I've been mulling over ideas for a healing/utility Poet discipline.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-09-20 at 05:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

2. - Top - End - #482

Almost wonder if that wouldn't fit better for Iron Heart since it's "wuxia weapon master" ish, and I've been looking to get new IH maneuvers that give the discipline a more cinematic feel. Vaulting with a regular sword feels very warblade.

Maybe simplify the scaling -- reduce fall by 5 ft + 5ft./IL, have the climb bonus be set at half your speed, and then the jump could maybe let you add twice your Strength bonus to the Jump check or have advantage on the roll?

Btw, I realized that the 8th level Onc Storm stance was copy pasted from Dancing Leaf. I don't think we want redundant maneuvers like that. The speed bonus doesn't necessarily seem on-theme for Oncoming Storm, so that could be replaced with a more fitting effect based on dueling or sneak attacks? Or it could be speed boost for Onc Storm and extra 5 ft steps for Dancing Leaf with its evasive fighting theme.

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, I've been mulling over ideas for a healing/utility Poet discipline.
    Would love to hear. Currently, have them with "Silver Tongue" based on speech, song, and vocal effects, and "Divine Muse" for general inspiration and creativity themed effects. And then that dream discipline, whatever it ends up being.

Was considering making it a general artist class, with one discipline for poetry, one for painting, one for music, etc, but that may be too much stuff and I don't have a name for it -- "artist" is too lame. What do you think?

The "Sublime Way" is a means of fantastical exaggeration, so that you get stuff like wuxia level sword skill and dervishes who catch on fire when they spin. This class should show what that exaggeration looks like when applied to something other than martial arts.
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-09-20 at 05:29 PM.
    The Age of Warriors (revived 2019) - Huge fanmade TOB sequel. Content needs PEACH and input.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Orc in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Was almost thinking about making it a general artist class, with one discipline for poetry, one for painting, one for music, etc, but that may be too much stuff and I don't have a name for it -- "artist" is too lame. What do you think?
    Hey Elves. Sorry to get back to you so late (heavy work schedule). Plus, my savvy at homebrewing critique is a bit weaker than your fellow collaborators in this thread.

Anyhoo, I like what I see so far. And I was thinking about your concern that your 4 core classes were in need of some refinement. Looking over the Poet (which I really like!), I was also thinking of your quote above.

The inherent creativity of an "Artist" would lend itself well to an initiator class that can modify (via conceptual "meta-sculpting"?) existing disciplines, maneuvers, stances etc ... into something refreshingly revamped or of a completely different final product. Perhaps with a temporary duration. Perhaps enabled via meta-maneuver feats - a mechanical variant of meta-magic feats.

You gave the Poet 3 initial disciplines - DM, DB & IS (which are all strong candidates). But I'd like to see the Poet/Artist class have a much less limiting palate of disciples to either initially choose from or ultimately have access to (via meta-sculpting, perhaps). After all, the class should be a pinnacle creator and innovator of stylistic and mechanical options for ToB disciplines.

Just some ideas for now. :-) I'll continue thinking about all this some more.

As stated in our prior talks, I absolutely adore this project of yours. It's a lot to absorb for me due to its strategic scope. I can only imagine how hard it is for you to be the coordinator/mastermind of the whole project!

4. - Top - End - #484

ElfPirate

Maybe simplify the scaling -- reduce fall by 5 ft + 5ft./IL, have the climb bonus be set at half your speed, and then the jump could maybe let you add twice your Strength bonus to the Jump check or have advantage on the roll?
    Good ideas; much simpler.

Would love to hear. Currently, have them with "Silver Tongue" based on speech, song, and vocal effects, and "Divine Muse" for general inspiration and creativity themed effects. And then that dream discipline, whatever it ends up being.
    One thing I'm noticing is that most of my ideas for the discipline work best as stances. If that keeps up, I may suggest letting letting Traveler's Song (working name) stances be learned as maneuvers, so you don't have to burn a stance known for a single (relatively) niche out-of-combat ability. But who knows, maybe I just need to think harder about counters and boosts.

Was considering making it a general artist class, with one discipline for poetry, one for painting, one for music, etc, but that may be too much stuff and I don't have a name for it -- "artist" is too lame. What do you think?

The "Sublime Way" is a means of fantastical exaggeration, so that you get stuff like wuxia level sword skill and dervishes who catch on fire when they spin. This class should show what that exaggeration looks like when applied to something other than martial arts.
    I'd suggest "Muse", but that's a) already being used within the class and b) suggests being an inspiration rather than actually producing the art yourself. Hmm. Perhaps "Auteur"? It's usually used to refer to film-makers, but Wikipedia assures me that it refers to anyone running a collaborative artistic project (which is an interesting way of looking at the party, if nothing else). "Conductor" may be better on that line; it also kind of suggests 'channeling' some force, in this case the muse or the Sublime Way itself.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-09-20 at 10:55 PM.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.

5. - Top - End - #485

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    One thing I'm noticing is that most of my ideas for the discipline work best as stances. If that keeps up, I may suggest letting letting Traveler's Song (working name) stances be learned as maneuvers, so you don't have to burn a stance known for a single (relatively) niche out-of-combat ability. But who knows, maybe I just need to think harder about counters and boosts.
    I missed, can you just summarize, what's your concept for it?

I'd suggest "Muse", but that's a) already being used within the class and b) suggests being an inspiration rather than actually producing the art yourself.
    It might be a place for one of those TOB neologisms, musetouched or something, just not so fancy it sounds like a PRC.

My main reason for generalizing the class to an all-around artist would be if I can't give it enough thematic legs otherwise.

"Conductor" may be better on that line; it also kind of suggests 'channeling' some force, in this case the muse or the Sublime Way itself.
    I like the idea of channeling energies. "need to infuse this piece with more of the essence of life and death". It kind of mirrors the martial arts philosophy talk common in wuxia.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Disaster View Post
    The inherent creativity of an "Artist" would lend itself well to an initiator class that can modify (via conceptual "meta-sculpting"?) existing disciplines, maneuvers, stances etc ...
    "Artistic Flourishes" that modify maneuvers aren't a terrible idea.

I can only imagine how hard it is for you to be the coordinator/mastermind of the whole project!
    It's just about the time I have to give it, which atm is not much -- have a deadline next week. After that, will come back. But thread is on notify.
    The Age of Warriors (revived 2019) - Huge fanmade TOB sequel. Content needs PEACH and input.

6. - Top - End - #486

ElfPirate

I missed, can you just summarize, what's your concept for it?
    Just a rough idea at the moment: a 'noncombat' discipline dedicated to abilities that would be useful in exploration and travelling in general, possibly with some healing and status removal thrown in. Movement buffs for the party, bonuses to skill checks for party members, repairing objects. A lot of these will also be useful in combat, but they'll be designed for the exploration pillar of gameplay. I've been calling it "Traveler's Song", after the song by the Aviators.

7. - Top - End - #487

If you want to do some proofs for that it would be cool. Maneuver ideas for the class would be a real help, whether they end up being their own disc, fit into Divine Muse/Silver Tongue, or even get plundered as class features.