New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    ...I'll note that the TOB Soulknife conversion link in the Task Board post is actually dead. And the use of rewrites for what is intended to be a pseudo-splatbook seems wrong to me, in general.
    With the exception of truenamer, agreed. Removed.

Perhaps having an AFC that lets you re-ready Maneuvers belonging to a Discipline when you switch to a Stance from that Discipline, with the tradeoff being a few less Maneuvers Readied?
    Good idea, I could see this being fluffed as another thing for "focused" adepts (since it's more effective the more mvs from a single disc you have readied).

One of the main themes here is options both for people who want to try many discs and those who want to focus on one.

Perhaps have most of the new Disciplines be slightly smaller than the Nine are in ToB proper.
    I'm definitely conscious of length, the big investment is including a disc in the first place so once they're in they should have as many as they need to function. Going for about the size of TOB ones; the additional maneuvers for the 9 will make them bigger than the new ones.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

You mentioned Stone Dragon maneuvers. I plan to have 1 for every level, despite having only posted the first three so far. The other six are basically already mostly written up, just not posted in an obvious way (or at all).

I'm also thinking about doing a 1st and 8th level maneuver.

1st would share the maneuvers "stand still for longer to gain bigger bonuses" except they would effect your AoOs and wouldn't reset on use. Maxima might be 3*IL damage, and Con. Mod. to-hit.

8th would be called Scorn Sky, Embrace Earth. It would prevent flight (it doesn't work if you have a fly speed, levitate or feather fall, and gaining one cancels the stance, even if an enemy casts it on you and you fail the save), and maybe slow you like you were wearing heavy armor, give lightning resistance, maybe acid vulnerability, and most importantly GIVES YOU AN EARTH ELEMENTAL'S STONE SWIM ABILITY (or maybe just meld into stone, which requires you to stay adjacent to a surface)! ... maybe give it a 3 round cool-down both ways between having a flight speed and when you can be in the stance? In that case an offensively cast fly would immediately cancel the stance, but you wouldn't actually get the benefits for 3 rounds.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2019-04-24 at 11:49 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

In addition to your maneuvers, I have Garryl's two rushes. Then I'm doing two stances. One to grant burrow+tremorsense. The other to allow flying Stone Dragon. The concept is pretty goofy -- air-surfing on a solid object so that you still have solid ground to balance on -- but it's the best way I could think of to satisfy the requirement. (The main alternative would be, like, having spikes of earth shoot up from the ground so that you can at least reach things up in the air, even if not move around up there, but that only works in certain environments.)

Then, a couple strikes with actual maneuver requirements to reward people who focus on the discipline. Lastly, a counter to do the damage reduction thing right.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-04-25 at 10:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Going to post the skill tricks, but I'd like some advice with this specific one:

Metacognition
    Prerequisites: Concentrate 5 ranks, 1 Diamond Mind maneuver or stance
    Benefit: You gain Autohypnosis as a class skill. With a DC 20+1/2 IL Autohypnosis check, you may change your readied maneuvers as an [x] action.

If you have more than one initiator class, choose which pool of maneuvers to change. Only classes that grant Diamond Mind are eligible.
    ----

The question is:

Should this also refresh maneuvers? Swordsages do deserve that is this a crappy way to give it to them?

Edit: never mind, my reading of Adaptive Style was wrong.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-04-26 at 10:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh. Swordsages already have Adaptive Style which (it is commonly agreed upon) lets them refresh maneuvers. Since this is, basically, Adaptive Style in Skill Trick form, I'd say it's probably fine to refresh. As all it does is change away from a Feat tax to a (Much more expendable) skill point tax.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

It's more than 2 skill points because you have to invest Autohypnosis, but yes, that's the point, skill point equivalent.

Ooh, I didn't realize people read the rules such that changing your readied maneuvers is inseparable from having the new ones readied -- I assumed slots that were expended would remain expended when using AS. But I guess that could only be the case if the normal, 5-minute routine for changing your readied maneuvers also required a refresh action (or in the swordsage's case, a bunch of them) afterward. Never mind, then.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-04-26 at 10:41 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    In addition to your maneuvers, I have Garryl's two rushes. Then I'm doing two stances. One to grant burrow+tremorsense.
    Hmm... if you do that I might need a clause on my Scorn the Sky, Embrace the Earth (name might not match what I said before, I am still trying to decide on the exact way to phrase it) Stance that when you take mine you have the OPTION to trade out yours for any other 1st level Stone Dragon stance. Might even make it automatic if I decide to include tremorsense and everything else you end up putting into it... actually, the ability to leave a tunnel for others would be enough that some characters wouldn't trade it out.
    The other to allow flying Stone Dragon. The concept is pretty goofy -- air-surfing on a solid object so that you still have solid ground to balance on -- but it's the best way I could think of to satisfy the requirement. (The main alternative would be, like, having spikes of earth shoot up from the ground so that you can at least reach things up in the air, even if not move around up there, but that only works in certain environments.)
    I actually LIKE the idea of some disciplines having "Achilles's Heels", it gives the idea that there is no one perfect technique and that Reshar was a genius for breaking with the competitive and closed-minded nature of martial practitioners before then to unite them all so that he could create composite styles that had ways of covering for weaknesses.

Sidenote/emphasis: You will note that Scorn the Sky, Embrace the Earth takes the theme of NOT flying and runs with it whole-heartedly. This was a specific thematic intention on my part. Not to say that you couldn't have a split of philosophies necessarily... shoot, we could decide to run with with the theme of opposing philosophies/mindsets* and say that anyone who learns one of the 8th level stances in question can never use the other even from a martial script or Stone Dragon Belt and certainly can't learn it.
    *That might or might not have the utmost respect for the other one in the case of individual practitioners.

Getting back to why I am raising a small cautionary flag about your "flying rock" stance: The Master of One PrC* specifically has ways of removing those weaknesses, which is thematic and answers the design goal of "being able to diversify or specialize as you choose". Having a defining class feature get rendered semi-obsolete as soon as you hit 15th level seems sorta a bummer. Wild idea: Maybe give Stone Dragon Masters of One that stance for free** at IL 16th (or 15, or 17...) if they have maxed out the PrC? They take "bringing the earth with them where-ever they go" from the spiritual/mental/philosophical realm into a very physical fact!
    *It is on the list of PrCs that made it in.
    **If that is too much, say that they can spend a maneuver-known slot to learn it, instead of a stance-known slot. Not free, but "cheaper".
    Then, a couple strikes with actual maneuver requirements to reward people who focus on the discipline.
    You mean other than my incredibly niche Faultline and Quake maneuvers? Yeah, probably a good idea!
    Lastly, a counter to do the damage reduction thing right.
    That could be good. Two very minor qualms and a third slightly larger one with making it a counter.
    1.) Making it a Counter decreases the tactical forethought required in that you don't have to sacrifice using a different strike to anticipate danger.
    2.) The idea of having to be aggressive to be defensive, and the added element of risk (and incentive to go after a lesser threat, with a lower AC) might be seen as a loss.
    3.) It sounds like you PROBABLY intend to make it only work against one attack. Consider having it last until the start of your next turn to give the same vibe of "only a mighty strike can break a stone, a hundred blows by a hundred weaklings do me no harm" vibe that I get from the X Bones line. If you want to get complicated then give the option at the time you initiate it to have a larger amount of DR against that single attack, or a smaller amount that lasts until the start of your next turn.

One way to split the difference on points 1 and 2 would be to fix the numerical scaling of the amount (obviously!o You were going to do this anyway.), and make it a BOOST that grants the DR if you hit with your first attack that round (and doesn't do anything if you don't make an attack). In other words it would turn any other strike (or even simple attack/full-attack) into X Bones.

Going to post the skill tricks, but I'd like some advice with this specific one:

Metacognition
    Prerequisites: Concentrate 5 ranks, 1 Diamond Mind maneuver or stance
    Benefit: You gain Autohypnosis as a class skill. With a DC 20+1/2 IL Autohypnosis check, you may change your readied maneuvers as an [x] action.

If you have more than one initiator class, choose which pool of maneuvers to change. Only classes that grant Diamond Mind are eligible.
    ----

The question is:

Should this also refresh maneuvers? Swordsages do deserve that is this a crappy way to give it to them?

Edit: never mind, my reading of Adaptive Style was wrong.
    Not sure why you seem to be dropping the idea of that particular skill trick entirely, rather than just changing it so it refreshes maneuvers, but I will say that wording how to change maneuvers prepared and NOT have it refresh your maneuvers would be tricky, but not impossible. It sounds like the sort of thing I would do, and then people would complain about my having "over complicated" things.

If you are worried about the skill trick meaning nobody would want to take adaptive style (but might feel they had to if starting at level 1), then you could always increase the Concentration requirement... MAYBE give 1 or 2 free ranks in Auto-Hypnosis to make up for it, although by 5th level if you have 5 ranks in Concentration as a Swordsage, you might as well have it maxed and take Mind Over Body, which is "(Don't) throw me in that briar patch!" stuff.

Speaking of adding complexity (in this case to allow more tactical thought on the player's part): One thing I would say is that you should maybe allow them to voluntarily reduce their IL, but only if the only maneuvers they end up with readied are ones they they would meet the IL requirement with that lower IL (could probably be phrased better, especially since it means there is no reason to ever use an even numbered IL, nor an IL above 17, perhaps barring Epic Level maneuvers (if those require a scaling IL). If you want to get even more fine-grained (including bringing even ILs back into the picture) you could say that any maneuvers prepared in that way have their IL reduced to the IL you used to set the DC. Of course, MOST maneuvers don't scale with IL, so...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2019-04-26 at 05:11 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

I think a stance is a good way to do Stone Dragon flight, because then using it entails giving up other stance benefits, which is a cost that only heavy Stone Dragon users will want to pay -- and they'll only want to use it when needed. It also gives the rare opportunity for tactically switching stances mid-fight if you need to get airborne.

In that case, the Master of One ability frees up a stance slot, so it's still a great feature.

The image of flying on a boulder is cool and could be a good utility maneuver with full-round activation. For the stance though I'm going to dish the sky-surfing thing and just go with a bland "Stance of Sky Leverage".

As a note, IMO, Stone Dragon shouldn't be Avatar earthbending; the point is that you draw strength from the ground, and use it for leverage, not that you're an elemental caster. The supernatural maneuvers should be rare and not overly dramatic.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

I think a stance is a good way to do Stone Dragon flight, because then using it entails giving up other stance benefits,
    Except that every other flight stance ALSO takes up a slot, and IIRC has a limitation on top of that. Granted Rising Pheonix has some fire damage, but the altitude limit seems like a major nerf. It might get you out of medium and smaller people's reach (can't remember how high the limit is) and it definitely can negate some types of terrain, but other than that... As for Balance on the Sky it requires you to have a hand free. There is a reason why "Sword and Board" is a very bad mechanical choice for most characters until and unless you get an Animated Shield, and this doesn't even get you an AC bonus. Is there some third flight stance I am forgetting in ToB? Or are you looking at a homebrewed discipline for that? Or was your thinking "most martial adepts should be able to fly eventually, and Stone Dragon is the discipline that is the most common"? (Not sure if that premise is true when Homebrew classes and disciplines are factored in, but it sounds plausible.)
    :
    So... I think you need a drawback. 20' speed (edit: and "can't run", just for flavor) would be thematic. Dropping the maneuverability a grade also gives the "slow and ponderous" feel, but if it drops to Average make sure you specify you DON'T have a minimum speed. MAYBE disallow full-attacking while in the stance, but probably not. Going so far as to require a move action (or full round if you want to double-move) to move or simply maintain the stance would be even more extreme.
    which is a cost that only heavy Stone Dragon users will want to pay -- and they'll only want to use it when needed. It also gives the rare opportunity for tactically switching stances mid-fight if you need to get airborne.

In that case, the Master of One ability frees up a stance slot, so it's still a great feature.
    You seem pretty set on giving the discipline that seems most opposed to flight a flight Stance, but if you just want to get around the limitation at the cost of a Stance, consider a lower level one that simply removes that limitation.
    The image of flying on a boulder is cool and could be a good utility maneuver with full-round activation. For the stance though I'm going to dish the sky-surfing thing and just go with a bland "Stance of Sky Leverage".

As a note, IMO, Stone Dragon shouldn't be Avatar earthbending; the point is that you draw strength from the ground, and use it for leverage, not that you're an elemental caster. The supernatural maneuvers should be rare and not overly dramatic.
    Both flight and causing earthquakes that fill an area with flying bits of stone seem pretty dramatic to me. So how to you mean?

I agree with "rare" though.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2019-04-27 at 11:30 AM.
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Okay. I promised to work on a battlefield fey race?

Here's the WIP:

Warborn:

In mighty clashes between armies, the land itself absorbs the violence, altering it's nature. In response, it births one or more fey creatures called warborn. These warborn are themselves capable of breeding more warborn.

Personality:

Warborn are wild thrillseekers who prefer action and adventure to words and contemplation. At least, in general. They are tied to the action, emotion and adrenaline of the battles from which they descend, making them eager to re-experience such events, but they have a fair amount of variety between them. They often have absorbed pieces of the mentality of both sides of the battle which spawned them, resulting in a lot of internal and external conflict, but also differences between warborn from different battlefields. In addition, all warborn are tied to a specific martial discipline at birth, and while they may focus on a different discipline or even abandon the martial way later in life, their birth discipline does tend to affect their personalities, such as the hyper and fidgety Desert Wind born, the self-righteous but protective Devoted Spirit born, the calculating Diamond Mind born and the savage Tiger Claw born.

Physical Description:

Warborn tend to resemble tall, muscular amalgams of the races that participated in the battle that spawned them, with some obvious differences. Firstly, they are all medium, regardless of their ancestor races. More obviously, they have blood red skin with patterns and textures resembling armour, their ears are long and have sharp points, and they have multi-coloured hair which flows in a non-existant breeze like a war-banner.

Alignment:

The alignment of warborn varies wildly based on the traits they have absorbed from their parent races. As wild lovers of conflict, however, chaos and evil are more common.

Lands:

Warborn are naturally wanderers. Those that stick to one site tend to either guard the battlefield that spawned them or seek places of conflict, such as large, divided cities and borders between hostile countries. They are also often found acting as mercenaries or soldiers.

Religion:

Warborn tend to follow deities with war or destruction in their portfolio, and occasionally the more brutal nature deities. They also often follow the deities of their parent armies, which tends to result in them serving multiple, enemy deities. This results in further internal conflict and makes them behave unusually compared to other members of their religions.

Language:

Warborn speak Common, Sylvan and usually learn the languages of their parent races. It is also common for them to learn and liberally use insults, swear words and battlecries from languages in which they are not fluent.

Adventurers:

As natural thrill-seeking, conflict-obsessed wanderers, warborn are drawn to the adventuring lifestyle, and their most common NPC class is warrior. All full-bab classes tend to be appealing to warborn, but a couple are especially common. The nature of a warborn's creation makes ties to a natural environment and hatred of a group normal, making Rangers common. Those same ties to nature and wild emotions also make many become barbarians. The same emotions and ties to a martial discipline also encourages many to become warblades. Clerics exist, but are outnumbered by Paladins and Crusaders. Similarly, those interested in arcane magic are more likely to perdue the warmage class than that of the wizard or sorcerer.

Medium Fey
    +2 Dex, +2 Str, -2 Cha, -2 Wis Warborn are strong and agile, but impulsive and aggressive.

Speed: 30 ft

Size: Medium

Manuever Skill: Warborn gain a +2 racial bonus on skill checks used as part of a manuever.

Martial Talent: Warborn have an initiator level equal to their character level.

Martial Might: Warborn gain a +1 bonus to the DC of Wisdom and Charisma based manuever.

Discipline Connection: Warborn start with a free 1st level manuever and a free 1st level stance from the same discipline.

Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Any except for secret languages.

Favoured Class: Ranger, Barbarian or Warblade

Level Adjustment: +0
    Last edited by Sereg; 2019-04-27 at 11:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

if you just want to get around the limitation at the cost of a Stance, consider a lower level one that simply removes that limitation.
    Yes, that's what I meant. This also lets it be a 1st or 3rd level stance.

Re Sereg: How about making these a non-psionic take on Maenads? The psionic version of them is honestly underwhelming both appearance and flavorwise.

Hm, reading the race I'm reminded of how weird the 3e devs' insistence on abillity score penalties was. I guess that's out of our scope to correct though.

------------

Skill tricks thread.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-04-27 at 03:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Warborn:
    I only skimmed it, but:
    Consider giving them +1 to the DCs of Wisdom and Charisma based maneuvers. That way a player can feel comfortable picking Crusader or Swordsage instead of only Warblade. I'd give parallel examples in homebrew classes but I don't remember those well enough.
    Yes, that's what I meant. This also lets it be a 1st or 3rd level stance.
    Oh... well, I'd be sad I misunderstood, except my inner annoyance at what I THOUGHT you were trying to say was enough that I had ideas for Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw flight maneuvers... actually, two different variations for Tiger Claw, one of which was going to be blatantly copy-pasting someone else's work and then (with credit of course).

Going to note the general ideas down, mostly so I don't forget, despite the fact they are probably too out of theme to be worth including in those disciplines.

Spoiler: Vomiting words onto my computer.
    Show
    The Diamond Mind one was basically "Having mastered Time, you now bend Gravity to your focused mind. Unfortunately, the slightest lapse of focus will result in a plummet. You must make concentration checks for damage as if this stance were an 8th level arcane spell. However your focus is not so easily broken. Add your ranks in the Concentration skill to these checks twice, rather than just once."

The more original Tiger Claw one was "I jump so good I can not only get hang-times of 15 seconds, but I can also change direction in mid-air."
    More specifically:
    Leap to the Fray
    "In order to enter this stance your space must contain a surface big enough for two of your feet (or your contact patch if you are a snake/slug/ooze/vehicle/etc shaped rather than having feet) and strong enough to support your weight. Note that this could be a cliff or tree branch to your side as you free-fall, rather than a floor you are standing on. Make a jump check. You gain flight with a speed equal to triple your land (or swim) speed with Good maneuverability as long as you remain in this stance. After your check result divided by 15 rounded down rounds, or at the end of any of your turns where you do not make an attack on an animate foe, you exit this stance. When entering this stance and NOT any others at the same time as a swift action* you may also initiate a Tiger Claw boost as a free action. The boost must be readied and is expended as usual.
    *Boiler plate needed for Warblade's capstone, as well as my "Sublime Form Master".

The less original one was to steal the rules from "Warriors and Wuxia" on these forums (actually the second time I have done that, although the first time was just saying "go look at these rules, then include them if you like this larger theme of house-rules I'm suggesting here". I think my thread was called "Special Snowflake Christmas Trees", and it is in my extended signature. From there anyone who cares enough could find "Warriors and Wuxia".

Noted. Might look. No promises (I make no promises about a lot of things).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2019-04-27 at 11:39 PM.
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #163

Griffon

Thanks. Added he DC adjustment.

I actually did notice the similarity with maenads, but I prefer them as their own thing. Also, I actually kind of like maenads and wouldn't want to take away what makes them them.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

SD + IH maneuvers up. Same thread. Rest too before long.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-05-03 at 12:58 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165

Griffon

So, I was wondering about some martial undead. Maybe a template for undead that have their skin tatood or bones carved with martial scripts to give them manuevers. A haunted suit of armour. A possessed weapon that fights alone, as weilded by an incorporeal spirit or which takes over its wielder. Maybe a martial equivalent of a lich that uses a weapon as a phylactery.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

I'll try to give feedback on those maneuvers... still need to do that pacifist discipline too...

Depression sucks. (I freely and without shame admit I see a psychologist and am on medication. I hope this will serve as an example to anyone else with psychological problems.)

I have all but the 9th level Faultline maneuver posted, and I THINK I have complete copies of the rest of the Volcano maneuvers in a text file on my computer I can post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sereg View Post
    So, I was wondering about some martial undead. Maybe a template for undead that have their skin tatood or bones carved with martial scripts to give them manuevers. A haunted suit of armour. A possessed weapon that fights alone, as weilded by an incorporeal spirit or which takes over its wielder. Maybe a martial equivalent of a lich that uses a weapon as a phylactery.
    This will be less than helpful, but I seem to remember seeing something like this somewhere on these boards... maybe even linked or written on in the original AoWs thread(s)?
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

So that you don't have to comb through them all, here are some specific ones I have balance questions about:

#1 - what level should this be?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hampering Dark
    Shadow Hand (Boost)
    Level: 1 (or 2, or 3?)
    Action: Swift
    Area: 30 foot radius, centered on you
    Maintain: Swift

All areas of darkness or shadow become difficult terrain. All areas of low light cost +50% to enter, like moving diagonally does normally (but moving diagonally still costs the same).

At IL 15 the area doubles to 60ft.

The 8th level Shadow Hand stance in TOB is underwhelming so I made this, with some pseudo-tanking capability. Is it balanced?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-Guided Shadowstance
    Shadow Hand (Stance)
    Level: 8
    Mv prereq: 4

Your body phases in and out of existence as it blinks through the shadow plane. This stance is sometimes called Shadow Blink because it's similar to the blink spell, except slower, more controlled, and shadowy rather than ethereal.

Each turn, the benefits provided by the stance change. You may choose which phase to start in when you enter the stance the first time in an encounter. If you re-enter the stance later during the same encounter, the cycle continues from where you left off.

Full Moon - +2 reflection bonus to AC (which is like a deflection bonus, but is a separate category so as to stack with them), and gain the effects of a restoration spell.
    Crescent Moon - concealment
    New Moon - total concealment
    Then Crescent Moon again, then Full, Crescent, New, Crescent, etc.

In addition, you gain syzygy benefits:

Eclipse Cover: If you are part of a straight, unobstructed line between an ally and an enemy, that enemy cannot target that ally, or any other allies or squares located directly behind you in a straight line, regardless of size or reach. Line and chain effects stop at you, and you provide a penumbra of total cover from missiles and instantaneous area attacks in a straight line behind you. However, allies behind you can still be affected by eg a fireball centered off to the side, or something falling from above.

You need not be adjacent to the enemy or ally(s) affected by this, so long as the line is unobstructed. If facing a large or larger opponent, the line must pass through the center of their (horizontal, 2-dimensional) area. You can provide multiple lines of Eclipse Cover at once, if applicable.

Blood Moon: If you are part of a straight, unobstructed line in which a single ally is blocking you from an enemy, you glow with a dim red cast or aura and gain +1 to hit and +5 damage on all attacks so long as you remain in their penumbra. Their penumbra of anger extends 30ft, plus or minus 10ft per size category away from medium. This benefit stacks for every such penumbra you are in, but can only be applied once per ally. You don’t gain penumbra benefits from an ally small enough to co-occupy your square (ie tiny or smaller).

Lastly, it seems like this stance would become mandatory for unarmed fighting and that may not be a good thing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Earthstrength Brawler
    Stone Dragon (Stance)
    Level: 5
    Mv prereq: 3
    Initiation action: Swift
    Personal

All your unarmed attacks are made as with the Earthstrength Smash maneuver, but they only take standard actions, as normal.

Earthstrength Smash
    Stone Dragon (Strike)
    Level: 1
    Mv prereq: 1
    Initiation action: Full round action
    Range: Melee
    Target: One creature, object or surface

Make a single unarmed attack. This attack is treated as made with a heavy two-handed weapon (1.5 your strength bonus to damage and you can Power Attack with it for 2x returns) and bypasses hardness. Instead you take damage equal to the object’s hardness. You can use this maneuver to make a Sunder attempt, but you provoke as normal unless you have Improved Sunder. Furthermore, you can only sunder objects steady, solid, and either broad or brittle enough to punch apart: a shield or breastplate, for example, but not a sword someone's wielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sereg View Post
    So, I was wondering about some martial undead. Maybe a template for undead that have their skin tatood or bones carved with martial scripts to give them manuevers. A haunted suit of armour. A possessed weapon that fights alone, as wielded by an incorporeal spirit or which takes over its wielder. Maybe a martial equivalent of a lich that uses a weapon as a phylactery.
    I particularly like the idea of martial vampires, not the Chinese style ones, just vampires with swords and form-fitting black robes or ninja gear. Death knights are typically the martial counterpart to liches, so it might be worth restatting that template.

Beyond that, anything can be easily TOB-ified with Martial Study, Martial Stance, or martial adept class levels, so there's no need to do a TOB spin on every creature. I specifically left out Demented One's "grave troopers" for this reason -- just give skeletons Martial Study or a warblade level.

Depression sucks.
    With you there. Fortunately, my own delay with this right now is just that I have other things to get done.

In the meantime, here's a fun, cheesy take on the setting's version of warforged. Crunch tba.
    Cred to this thread I stumbled on through Google.

Spoiler: sparforged
    Show
    The sparforged are intelligent golems created to be martial arts masters. They can process and run martial scripts, which are fed into their chassis. Nine sparforged were originally created, each one shaped to be perfect for using a single discipline, and they served as the Temple of Nine Swords’ training dummies and occasional security force. Two of the sparforged died during the Temple’s fall, but the rest, since their machinery is much more durable than mortal bodies, are still around.

One of Nine is a fusion machine who breathes fire and has flamethrowers built into the palms of his hands. He's made of refractory ceramics. [ok too cheesy]

Two of Nine glows out the eyes and through the chinks with spiritual power, and frequently hovers above the ground.

Four of Nine is made of magically strengthened steel, which is engraved with intricate designs in gold, and his eyes glow red. One of the most famous sparforged, he reclaimed and took up the Iron Heart sword after the Temple of Nine Swords fell. He’s now Master of Autumn at the Temple of Seasons.

Five of Nine is a small, agile machine with mithral plating on a light build. Dwarf-height but slighter, it can choose to count as either Medium or Small whenever it wants.

Six of Nine is a notorious machine of shadow, made of black adamant and wreathed in and emanating shadow energy. His notoriety is because, fighting on the side of the invaders, he ambushed and killed both Three of Nine and Nine of Nine during the ill-starred battle for the Temple. The surviving sparforged still fear and await him.

Seven of Nine is a bulky, Large-sized machine plated in smooth stone.

Eight of Nine is a savage crazy leaping berserking machine, stylized with an ornate metal tiger head, who’s now a senior master at the Temple of the Unconquered Sun. Like Six of Nine, he left the Temple of Nine Swords with his discipline’s master and fought against the Temple when it fell. During the battle he tore dozens of students to shreds before the Diamond Master chased him off with the adamantine sword she’d had made to replace Supernal Clarity. For battle he usually has himself painted in either camo—for ambushes—or in aggressive stripes and warpaint. Instead of holding weapons, when it’s time for battle he screws on a giant set of claws in place of hands.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-05-04 at 01:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know Elves, that actually gives me an idea...

Spoiler: Martial Body - Feat
    Show

Martial Body
    Some Warforged are built with plates inlaid with martial script of one particular discipline.
    Prerequisite:
    1st level only, Warforged
    Effect: When you take this feat, choose a Martial Discipline. While you are in one of that discipline's stances, your armour bonus increases to +5. Additionally, your Slam is always considered to be a preferred weapon of the chosen discipline. Lastly, you also gain Martial Study as a bonus feat, however the chosen discipline must match the discipline chosen for this feat.

Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at first level during character creation.

Normal: Warforged without this feat (And Warforged with this feat who aren't in a stance of the chosen discipline) have an Armour Bonus of +2.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, that's cooler than what I was thinking (a warforged subrace with a racial bonus when using martial scripts, or the ability to run 2 at once).

Another option is to say that in this setting, it's much easier to change a wf's external plating, hence armor works normally for them (you just need to find a very specialized craftsman). Which is kind of how it should be. Your feat could be renamed "Sparforged" and have the armor bonus changed to some other bonus.

Wasted time doing a rewrite of oslecamo's Ancient Temple discipline, called Phantom Garden, but more AOW content inc.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Y'know Elves, that actually gives me an idea...

Spoiler: Martial Body - Feat
    Show

Martial Body
    Some Warforged are built with plates inlaid with martial script of one particular discipline.
    Prerequisite:
    1st level only, Warforged
    Effect: When you take this feat, choose a Martial Discipline. While you are in one of that discipline's stances, your armour bonus increases to +5. Additionally, your Slam is always considered to be a preferred weapon of the chosen discipline. Lastly, you also gain Martial Study as a bonus feat, however the chosen discipline must match the discipline chosen for this feat.

Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at first level during character creation.

Normal: Warforged without this feat (And Warforged with this feat who aren't in a stance of the chosen discipline) have an Armour Bonus of +2.

That seems a bit much. Slam attack as preferred weapon is a nice touch, but a feat that grants both an extra +3 AC in stance and gives another good feat as a bonus feat is a bit over-rich, surely? Maybe cut it down to a token +1 increase?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

By default, WF don't get armor so they have to take the adamantine/mithral/etc body feats at 1st level. Presumably it's supposed to be somewhat better than Mithral Body for a warforged initiator who plans on using a specific discipline heavily.

If changing to my suggestion above that in Sword World warforged armor works normally, then maybe a nerf would be warranted (and I'd also add in a benefit when using martial scripts).
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-05-12 at 01:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Desolate Arbitrator conversion to Epic Discipline. No need for anyone to read this but posting for convenience.

Tried to make it a more linear ascent in power akin to 4e's epic levels.

Spoiler: Shattered Glass
    Show
    Before the Great Wheel was even created, a geometric being called Cecelyne fought against the gods and was defeated. Its structure was of an ultrareal substance comparable to glass, which when the killing blow was struck, shattered completely. A swarm of specks of silver glass drifted away, settling into Cecelyne’s new extraplanar jail in the interstitial reaches of the Wheel. This jail, most easily accessed from Hell, is now known as the Endless Desert: a sentient desert made of sharp grains of shattered silver glass, burning with heat and unrest and hate for everything that we now call divine.

SPECIAL: All Desolate Arbitrator maneuvers automatically bypass the damage reduction and immunities of Divine Beings. Divine Beings include outsiders from the Outer Planes, creatures with Outer Plane heritage, all users of divine magic (including via non-item-granted SLAs), and all creatures of Divine Rank 0 or higher. Miss chance still applies.

Spoiler: Initiation Feat
    Show
    Desolate Arbitrator [Epic, Initiation]
    You burn with Cecelyne’s vengeful hate for the gods and their servants.

Prerequisites: 21st level, no levels in divine spellcasting classes, must be capable of initiating 9th-level maneuvers of any discipline, must make a pilgrimage to the Endless Desert and undergo a period of heavy training there.

Benefits: Choose a non-epic discipline. Your maneuvers from this discipline bypass the damage reduction and immunities of Divine Beings just as Shattered Glass maneuvers do.

Characters with this feat may learn maneuvers from the Shattered Glass discipline.

It is a source of infinite distaste for the Endless Desert that those who butchered her are also the subject of such devout worship by the races of mortalkind. That any could even suggest such beings are greater than she is, in her mind, a cosmic injustice.

Maneuvers

Sandstrike Blast (Strike) – Scour the insufferable stench of divinity from your presence.
    Sands Through Fingers Defense (Counter) – 50% miss chance as weapons slide through you.
    Transcendent Desert Creature (Stance) – Acclimate yourself to desolation.
    Knowing the Desolate Heart (Strike) – Call to another's broken hopes and dreams.
    Soul-Sieve Transformation (Boost) – Change your form into sand and spirit.
    Counter-Pronouncement of Enthymematic Law (Utility) – Prohibit one type of action in 100ft radius.
    Swallowed in Eternity (Counter) – Stretch time and space to rebuke would-be attackers.
    Many-Faceted Mirage Technique (Strike) – Bend space to exist in many places for a flash of time.
    Soul-Sand Devil Shintai (Stance) – Condense into a silver sliver of the Endless Desert's spiritual desolation.
    World-Grinding Sandstorm Devastation (Strike) – Bring a fragment of Cecelyne into this world.

Spoiler: Manuevers
    Show

Sandstrike Blast
    Shattered Glass (Strike)
    Action: Standard
    Area: 15ft cone, 40ft line or single-target missile (25ft. + 5ft/2 levels)
    Target: All in area, or one creature
    XP Cost: 20,000 XP
    Training Time: 20 days

With an effort of will, you blasphemously open your soul as a tiny portal through which the malice of Cecelyne may protrude into the Great Wheel. Tiny granules of silver sand collect along your weapon or fist and spray out in a scouring jet. Alternately, you sweep your sword and a gash of searing silver sand sprays outward.

This maneuver requires a ranged attack roll. If it hits you deal damage equal to 1d6/IL plus dexmod.

Kata: You can use this maneuver as a swift-action boost, delivered as a single-target touch attack after you hit with a melee or ranged attack. Since the sand needs time to gather, however, you must declare your use of the boost before rolling your initial attack.

Sands Through Fingers Defense
    Shattered Glass (Counter)
    Action: Immediate
    Range: Personal
    Target: You

Cecelyne has been ground to dust. She is an infinite expansion of pain, sorrow, and malevolence. How can she be defeated further? What is left to inflict upon her? What life may be rent from desolate sands?

All attacks made against you until the end of the round have a 50% chance of not affecting you. Roll this before other forms of miss chance.

As the arrow, scorching ray, or sword swing enters your form, the place where a wound would appear merely dissolves into silver sand. The attack passes through you as your body flickers and reforms back to normal.

Soul-Sieve Transformation
    Shattered Glass (Boost)
    Prerequisite: 1 Shattered Glass maneuver
    Duration: 1 round
    Save: Fortitude partial

For a moment, your body dissolves completely into an exact replica of itself made of gleaming silver sand, held together by pure strength of spiritual will. All physical attacks made against you automatically fail, and spells fail 50% of the time - whooshing impotently through empty sand - similar to Sands Through Fingers Defense.

While in this state, you may move much more freely. You have a 60ft fly speed with perfect maneuverability, and may slip through any opening large enough to allow grains of sand to pass.

You can move into the same space as other creatures your size or smaller. If not protected by the Transcendent Desert Creature stance, creatures whose space you move through take 10d6 damage and 10d6 searing fire damage and are blinded (Fortitude ends). Creatures your size and smaller gain total concealment while you share their space.

Transcendent Desert Creature
    Shattered Glass (Stance)
    Prerequisite: 1 Shattered Glass maneuver
    Duration: Stance
    XP Cost: 30,000 XP
    Training Time: 30 days of training in the Endless Desert

The exposure to the energies of your mistress has hardened your mind, body, and spirit to desolation to the point where you are more at home in the inhospitable places than ones built for habitation.

This stance has three effects.

1. All terrain in a 30ft radius around you is rendered barren. Grass and trees wither instantly, water becomes too salty to support life, moisture is torn from the air until it becomes unpleasantly arid, and creatures other than you take 5 points of desiccation damage per round. This zone of desolation remains with you, defiling the land where you tread. Areas that you spend more than a few minutes in further degrade - the soil cracks and smolders into hot sand, vegetation rots and dissolves into dust, water does not so much evaporate as cease to be. While in an environment that you are desolating in this way (one with life or liquid to drain), you gain Fast Healing 10, +1 for every Tiny or larger creature you harmed with this stance last round.

This effect can be enabled or disabled as a free action.

2. Divine spellcasting and spell-like abilities, as well as turn undead effects or effects they fuel, are smothered while near you. Within 30 feet of you, such powers simply cease to function unless used by gods, ie creatures of Divine Rank 1 or higher. For gods within 30 feet of you, and for all beings including gods between 31 and 60 feet away from you, performing such acts still requires a DC (2x your IL + spell level) Concentration check, or the spell is simply expended with no effect - torn apart by the malice of the Endless Desert. Even if the attempt is successful, the spell or spell-like ability functions as if the caster's caster level were 2 lower.

(Nor can divine spellcasters pray for new spells within 60ft of you.)

3. In places of physical desolation, such as deserts, wastelands, badlands, tundras, dead seas, the elemental plane of fire, the burning battlefields of Avernus, and similar, you require no food or sleep, are not subject to natural hazards, extreme temperature, or severe weather, do not require a Survival check to keep from getting lost, and take no penalty to overland movement or to following tracks due to the terrain. You may extend this benefit to a number of other individuals equal to your initiator level, so long as they remain within about a mile of your position. These individuals are also immune to the desiccation damage dealt by this stance.

Granting or rescinding this benefit is a free action.

Many-Faceted Mirage Technique
    Shattered Glass (Strike)
    Prerequisite: 3 Shattered Glass Maneuvers
    Area: 20ft radius
    Target: Multiple Creatures
    Training Time: 30 days

For a brief second, your contemplations on the infinity of the Endless Desert allow you to fracture yourself, much as her own body is countless billions of sundered granules.

As part of activating this maneuver, a number of copies of you equal to your highest mental ability score modifier move from your space toward an enemy and act once upon them. The copies are corporeal and may not cohabit spaces with other copies after leaving yours. Each action may be different, and you may be wielding a different weapon for each action so long as it is on your person. Combat actions allowed by this maneuver are:

- Basic melee or ranged attack
    - Bull Rush
    - Disarm
    - Sunder
    - Trip
    - Feint

Nothing your fractured self does during this maneuver provokes an attack of opportunity. By the same token you don’t provide flank benefits.

Once the fractured copies of yourself have performed their action, they disappear, and you appear in one of their squares of your choice.

This maneuver doesn’t duplicate consumables or any form of usage limit on items or powers.

Swallowed in Eternity
    Shattered Glass (Counter)
    Prerequisite: 3 Shattered Glass Maneuvers
    Action: Immediate
    Range: Visible
    Target: One creature or object
    Save: Will partial, or with Divine Rank 1+, Will negates
    Immediate action maintain, maximum 5 rounds
    Training Time: 30 days

The Endless Desert isn’t infinite by virtue of something so mundane as 'size'. Rather, she transcends the traditional conceptions of space and time.

You may warp space between yourself and one selected creature or object, making the distance between the two of you functionally infinite. For 1 round, the target cannot come closer to you. A victim running at a full sprint will perceive their own motion and appear to all onlookers as moving towards you, but upon stopping, all would realize that they have not moved from the point they began. This functions upon anything the creature attempts to move towards you under its own power as well — an arrow or spell they shoot will appear to continuously fly towards you, as if always a moment from striking your body, never ceasing, but it will never actually get to you while this maneuver is in effect.

Spells that don’t physically traverse space aren’t affected, which may vary depending on how a given spell is fluffed: at minimum it affects all spells that resemble missiles, like rays and lightning bolts.

A successful Will save from the target lets them move toward you at half speed; their spells and missiles act as if you were twice as far away as you are (but missiles don’t lose power, since they are not actually being slowed down, rather space is being warped). If a creature of Divine Rank 1 or higher succeeds on their save, they negate the maneuver’s effect entirely. Inanimate objects do not receive a save.

Additionally, once the maneuver ends, all projectiles speeding at you continue to do so. They hit whoever is in the space you were in when you initiated this maneuver.

You may maintain this maneuver even if the target succeeds on their save. The target does not get additional saves on subsequent rounds.

This maneuver creates immense strain if you attempt to use it on objects vastly larger than yourself, like a falling meteor or what have you.

Counter-Pronouncement of Enthymematic Law
    Shattered Glass (Utility)
    Prerequisite: 4 Shattered Glass Maneuvers
    Area: 100ft emanation centered on you
    Save: Will partial, or if Divine Rank 1+, Will negates
    Maintain: Swift, up to 5 rounds
    XP Cost: 45,000 XP
    Training Time: 30 days of training in the Endless Desert

Cecelyne remembers when she was the hierophant of molten geometries and the worlds they formed. But in this terrible age, she is broken and her laws are arbitrary and enforced with threats and suffering.

When activating this maneuver, you must declare a particular kind of action. Here is a list of examples, although other options of similar scope are possible at the GM’s discretion. Something such as “arcane spell-like abilities” or “druid spellcasting” would be too broad. Something that’s not an action, such as “familiars”, wouldn’t work.

- Melee attacks
    - Ranged attacks
    - Spellcasting of one school
    - Maneuvers of one discipline
    - Invoking
    - Vestige abilities
    - Sneak Attacks
    - 5ft steps
    - Full attacks
    - Withdraw actions
    - Charging
    - Use of the Power Attack feat

Once the action is chosen, you create a 100ft radius emanation centered on yourself wherein the chosen action is strictly prohibited by the law of Cecelyne. All creatures in the aura, or that enter the aura, are alerted telepathically of your new law, which they understand so long as they have at least Intelligence 1. You are also subject to this prohibition.

Cecelyne’s law may be defied with a successful Will save, but the defiant creature incurs a cumulative -4 penalty to CL, IL, saving throws, skill checks, attack rolls and armor class each time they defy it, as their heresy draws doom upon them. These penalties last until the maneuver ends. Beings of divine rank 1 or higher receive no penalty on a successful Will save.

Even though people outside the area don’t receive a warning, the prohibition still extends to effects that begin outside the zone but try to enter, such as a long-range spell or a charge that crosses through the area. If the effect’s originator fails or voluntarily aborts their save the spell dissipates, or the charge halts in its tracks, upon entering the area. If there is no effect originator at hand, then barring intelligent programming it receives no save; if there is intelligent programming, the effect receives a save at the bonus of the one who made it at the time it was made.

Maneuvers aren’t eligible for Persistent Emanation.

Soul-Sand Devil Shintai
    Shattered Glass (Stance)
    Prerequisite: 4 Shattered Glass Maneuvers
    Duration: Stance
    XP Cost: 45,000 XP
    Training Time: 45 days of training in the Endless Desert

Although Cecelyne is infinitely massive, her physicality is only a relatively small part of the whole. The wretched burning wastes of her body are insignificant in comparison to the spiteful desolation that is her spiritual self.

By switching into this stance, you collapse a portion of your flesh and blood into the blasphemous void that has become your soul. Aside from being fantastically painful and leaving you with an otherworldly silver shimmer, you also reduce your maximum hit point total by half. Any hit points you currently have over this are lost, though they reappear when you leave the stance.

In exchange, you gain a pool of potential temporary hit points that is separate from and drained before all other temporary hit points. This pool has a maximum capacity of your normal maximum hit points before using this stance + your initiator level, but is empty when you enter this stance.

Every time you guiltlessly and intentionally inflict harm or suffering on a sentient intelligent being, you add your IL in temporary hit points to your stance pool. This includes hitting and dealing damage with an attack, casting a harmful spell, or inflicting a negative condition by other means. Multi-target spells or powers that are save based or do automatic damage only count once, for using the spell. Area effects that are attack roll based typically only count once — provided they injure at least one target — since a single attack usually governs the whole area. A maneuver that allows multiple attacks counts multiple times. Powers or attacks that apply multiple status conditions, or damage on top of one or more status conditions, still only count once. Ongoing damage effects in which you are dealing damage each round, such as Transcendent Desert Creature, count each turn, while ongoing damage effects that are simply the continuation of an already-applied effect, such as bleed damage, burning, or secondary poison damage, don’t count. Terrain spells such as Wall of Fire count if you cast them so as to immediately affect targets.

Various noncombat cruelties could also count — even a specifically tailored and truly injurious insult made for vindictive reasons could count if it harmed the target — as could eg sundering an intelligent item.

When you leave this stance, you lose all temporary hit points from this pool and your maximum hit points return to normal.

World-Grinding Sandstorm Devastation
    Shattered Glass (Strike)
    Prerequisite: 8 Shattered Glass Maneuvers
    Area: 1 mile
    Duration: 1 round/IL
    XP Cost: 90,000 XP
    Training Time: A timeless interval of training in the Endless Desert. When you return you find that only 90 days have passed elsewhere.

For several long moments, you pray to your infinitely shattered matron. The skies overhead lighten, and a voluminous nimbus of silver and green radiance wreathes the area around you. The wind picks up, the ground shakes, and the very essence of the world trembles in anticipation.

Upon completion of this maneuver, you conjure a silver sandstorm one mile in diameter, centered upon your location. You are safe, taking neither damage nor penalty nor hindrance of any kind, as is everyone protected by a Transcendent Desert Creature stance. Woe unto the rest.

The conjured sandstorm may be moved 250 feet in a direction of your choice as a standard action. If you wish, the sandstorm’s winds will safely carry you and other Transcendent Desert Creatures along with it, maintaining your position at its center. Its interior is considered to be Hurricane-force winds (see the DMG, the SRD, or Sandstorm), but instead of a flat DC 20, its Fortitude save DC is calculated as if it were one of your maneuvers. All listening checks inside automatically fail, and any skill check that requires visibility to be used properly takes a -6 penalty. Every living thing caught without shelter in the sandstorm takes 2d6 damage per round, which automatically bypasses the damage reduction and Regeneration of divine beings.*If they are within 100 feet of you, they instead take 20d6.

All terrain that the sandstorm moves over is not only rendered barren, its vegetation and wildlife stripped and flensed into nothing, but the soil and rock for hundreds of feet down is transmuted into silver sand. Veins of precious metal corrode into worthlessness. Ground water turns to dust.

Once a section of land about a hundred miles in diameter has been scoured into desert by this maneuver, it begins to radiate the unearthly heat of the Endless Desert. Inside its borders, the cycle of day and night flicker and cease, replaced by unstoppable green light. Perhaps if an entire planet or divine domain were so effaced, its abject spiritual desolation would be enough to free Cecelyne into the Wheel. Or perhaps not.

You may only have one sandstorm active at a time. Dismissing an existing sandstorm requires a full-round action, although it takes a full minute for the winds to fully disperse.

I have 100 pages of legacy weapons kicking around so going to trim that down + make it at least slightly entertaining.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-05-18 at 10:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Completing Bloodstained Gutter.

Level 1:
    Chokehold: Counter - Prevent grappled target from doing anything.
    Eye Jab: Strike - No penalty on called shot against eyes.
    Stomp: Boost - Stomp on adjacent prone target.
    Stranglehold: Boost - Deal additional damage in grapple.
    Sucker Punch/Sucker Shank: Strike - +4 on attack vs flatfooted opponent.

Level 2:
    Weapon Feint: Strike - Your weapon distracts while you make unarmed attack.
    Weapon Grab: Counter or Strike - Snatch or immobilize target's weapon.

Level 4:
    S*** They Have Spells: Counter - Evade spell or missile.

Level 5:
    Air Choke: Strike - Strangling grapple knocks living creature unconscious.
    Street King's Menacing Stare: Stance - Gain frightful presence

Level 6:
    Harder Stomach Punch: Strike - Nauseate your foe
    Get Out Quick: Counter - Get out of opponent's range after attacking

Level 7:
    Constrictor Grip: Strike - Target you grapple is exhausted
    Body Them: Strike - Powerful slam attack knocks prone

Level 8:
    Knife Fighter's Bleeding Persistence: Stance - Bleed to death slowly & keep trucking it while you do.
    Maiming Strike: Strike - Debilitating blow on one body part
    Whopping Roundhouse: Boost - Swift action unarmed attack also dazes

Spoiler: 1st
    Show
    Chokehold
    Bloodstained Gutter (Counter)
    Level: Swordsage 1, Warblade 1
    Initiation Action: Immediate
    Target: One creature you have just won or are maintaining a grapple against
    Trigger: The target tries to take an action

The action is cancelled.

Limitation: this maneuver can't prevent the target from taking the Escape From Grapple action.

Eye Jab
    Bloodstained Gutter (Strike)
    Initiation Action: Standard
    Target: One creature

You make a called shot against the target's eyes, as per the Pathfinder rules (see below) but with no penalty. If wielding a two-handed weapon, this is often done with the pommel. You take a -4 penalty if the target is wearing heavy eye protection such as a closed visor or defensive goggles.

If this is done as an unarmed attack against a creature with close-set eyes, like most animals, you can do the characteristic scissor-hands jab. Your called shot affects two eyes instead of one, disabling both if you hit, though due to the diminished force of this move you apply only half your Strength bonus to damage, as if it were an off-hand weapon.

If you're in a Bloodstained Gutter stance, such an unarmed attack doesn't provoke and may deal lethal damage, as if you had Improved Unarmed Strike.

Spoiler: Called Shot: Eye
    Show
    Eyes include whatever organs a creature uses to see. At the DM’s discretion, a called shot to the eye can also target sensory organs such as antennae, potentially negating abilities like blindsense. Generally, a creature can’t be blinded until it has lost all vision in all of its eyes. Creatures with five or more eyes take no penalties from called shots to their eyes until they’re blinded in enough eyes to bring them down a single functional eye. Called shots to the eye are challenging (–10 penalty).

Called Shot: A called shot to the eye gives all of the target’s foes concealment against its attacks for 1 round and gives it a –2 penalty on Perception checks. If the creature only has one functional eye prior to the called shot, it is blinded for 1 round instead.

Critical Called Shot: A critical hit to the eye costs the target sight in that eye for 1d4 minutes. The target also suffers the effects of a called shot to the eye for that duration.

Debilitating Blow (an attack that deals damage equal to half the target's max HP, minimum 50): A debilitating blow to the eye destroys that eye, causes blindness until the condition is removed with a remove blindness/deafness spell or similar effect, and deals 1d6 points of bleed damage. A successful Reflex saving throw reduces this to 1d4 hours of loss of sight in that eye and eliminates the bleeding. The target also suffers the effects of a called shot to the eye for 2d6 minutes.

Stomp
    Bloodstained Gutter (Boost)
    Initiation Action: Swift
    Range: Adjacent

Make an unarmed attack against an adjacent prone or helpless opponent. With heavy or armored footwear this attack counts as a heavy weapon, hence you can Power Attack with it, and it deals damage as if you were 2 size categories larger. With truly combative footwear like spiked or adamantine-capped boots it can do lethal damage even without Improved Unarmed Strike, and deals damage as if you were 3 size categories larger.

If you're in a Bloodstained Gutter stance, this attack doesn't provoke, even if you don't have Improved Unarmed Strike.

Stranglehold
    Target: One creature you have just won or are maintaining a grapple against

Take the Damage Your Opponent grapple action. This doesn't prevent you from taking that action again at another point in your turn.

At IL 10 this damage is doubled, and at 15 tripled.

Sucker Shank
    Target: One flat-footed creature

Make a melee attack against the target with +4 to hit. This only applies to targets who are flat-footed, not those who have been denied their Dex bonus to AC some other way, and the target need not be susceptible to precision damage.

If used unarmed, this maneuver is called Sucker Punch.

Spoiler: 2nd
    Show
    Weapon Feint
    Level: Swordsage 2, Warblade 2
    Prerequisites: 1 Bloodstained Gutter maneuver
    Initiation Action: 1 standard action
    Range: Melee Attack
    Saving throw: None

Make a Feint attempt as a free action, without the normal penalty against nonhumanoid opponents. If you win and the target is within your unarmed reach make an unarmed attack against them.

“The big rules of knife fighting are (a) do not try it at home, and (b) the whole point is never, ever use the blade. It is there to distract your opponent. While he stares at the gleaming steel, you kick his balls to kingdom come--he's all yours. Just a tip!”

Weapon Grab
    Bloodstained Gutter (Strike or Counter)
    Level: Swordsage 2, Warblade 2
    Trigger (if Counter): Target attacks you with a melee weapon it's wielding

This maneuver can be used either as a standard action strike, or an immediate action counter against a weapon-wielding target who attacks you.

You make a disarm attempt. Used as a strike, this provokes an AoO unless you have Improved Disarm. Used as a counter, it (like all swift and immediate actions) doesn't.

This disarm attempt is atypical in two ways.

1) Rather than opposed attack rolls, you and the target make opposed Strength checks. There is no size modifier since this is already baked into Strength, and the normal disarm modifiers are halved to plus or minus 2, or +5 for a locked gauntlet. If you preemptively declare that you are trying to grip rather than disarm (see below), a locked gauntlet provides no bonus. Finally, if either of you have a free hand or a hand gripping a shield that you commit to the grip, you get a +2 bonus on the check.

2) In addition to the normal options allowed by Disarm, you may grip onto the weapon, keeping it and them useless unless they relinquish it. So long as you're both gripping the weapon, you both lose your Dex bonus to AC and don't threaten any squares. You can't move. You can't do anything with the hands you have committed to the grip or the weapons or tools in them; if you are gripping with a shield hand you lose the shield's AC bonus.

Each turn you can make another Strength check to maintain the grip. Either of you can let go of the weapon as a free action to end the grip, but if the initiator lets go, they provoke an attack of opportunity. If the target lets go you can either grab the weapon, provided you have a free hand, or let it drop. If the target has a locked gauntlet they cannot choose to end the grip. If you are gripping a weapon unarmed without sufficient protection, then when the grip is established and each round it's maintained you take the weapon's base damage plus any damage from magical enhancements or abilities.

Used as a strike this maneuver can target any item, not necessarily a weapon.

Spoiler: 4th
    Show
    S*** They Have Spells
    Level: Swordsage 4, Warblade 4
    Prerequisites: 2 Bloodstained Gutter maneuvers
    Initiation Action: Immediate
    Trigger: You are targeted with a spell or ranged attack

You try to duck out of the way of a spell or missile. This entails a mix of instinct, reflex, positioning and trained ability to sense when it's coming.

When this maneuver is used against a spell that involves an attack roll or has missile-like properties, or against a moderate velocity projectile such as an arrow, you treat that spell or projectile as if it allowed a Reflex save for half damage. Evasion applies.

Against a high-velocity projectile such as a bullet, or a spell that targets you and does not involve an attack roll, you instead gain 20% miss chance.

This maneuver is used before the triggering attack is rolled, if applicable.

Spoiler: 5th
    Show
    Air Choke
    Level: Swordsage 5, Warblade 5
    Target: One living creature susceptible to carotid restriction or something anatomically analogous
    Save: Fortitude partial

Make a grapple attempt against the target. If you win, the target must succeed on a Fortitude save or be knocked unconscious. If they succeed they still take unarmed damage as if you had successfully used the Damage Your Opponent grapple action.

Street King's Menacing Stare
    Bloodstained Gutter (Stance)
    Level: Swordsage 5, Warblade 5

TBA

Spoiler: 6th
    Show
    Get Out Quick
    Level: Swordsage 6, Warblade 6
    Prerequisites: 3 Bloodstained Gutter maneuvers
    Trigger: You make a melee attack or use a strike

You move to the closest space outside the reach of the creature you attacked, up to 20 feet, without provoking AoOs. At IL 15 you can move up to 30 feet. If there are multiple equidistant eligible squares, choose.

Get in, strike, and get out before they smash you.

Harder Stomach Punch
    Level: Swordsage 6, Warblade 6

You strike your enemy's stomach, causing nausea and sickness. As part of this maneuver, make a single melee attack against a creature. If the attack hits, your enemy is nauseated for one round.

Spoiler: 7th
    Show
    Constrictor Grip
    Level: Swordsage 7, Warblade 7

You grip someone in an iron-hard hold that leaves their body winded, bruised and worn out.

Initiate a grapple against the target. You gain a +4 bonus on the grapple check. If you win the check, the target is fatigued. If you maintain the grapple for at least one round afterward, the target is exhausted.

If you're in a Bloodstained Gutter stance, the initial grapple attempt doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.

Spoiler: 8th
    Show
    Knife Fighter's Bleeding Persistence
    Bloodstained Gutter (Stance)
    Level: Swordsage 8, Warblade 8
    Initiation Action: 1 swift action

You're in it to end it, and will push through to end it, even if it kills you.

While in this stance, all damage you take is divided by x. You take this fraction as ongoing damage for x rounds. This damage can be rounded or fractionalized, your choice.

While this applies against most forms of energy damage, it doesn't apply in situations such as immersion in acid or lava where even extreme adrenaline and endurance can't keep you going.

"I stabbed her, but she didn't fall dead. It doesn't work that way. When you stab somebody, they leak to death."

"The loser of a knife fight dies at the scene. The winner dies in the ambulance on the way to the hospital."

Maiming Strike
    Prerequisites: 4 Bloodstained Gutter maneuvers
    Range: Melee attack
    Save: Fortitude or Reflex partial

With a rapid move, its speed hellishly disproportional to the change it will cause, you lash out and permanently maim someone.

Make a single attack, specifying part of the target's body (see the list below). If the area you attack is specifically armored, such as by a protective visor, metal breastplate, or codpiece, the attack takes a -4 penalty (mage armor doesn't count). This penalty may be reduced to -2 if you're using a weapon specifically suited to penetrating that armor piece, like a piercing weapon for a slitted visor or a crushing weapon for plate.

If the attack deals damage, it counts as a debilitating blow under the Pathfinder "Called Shot" rules, with some small differences:

Spoiler
    Show
    Arm: 1d6 points of Dexterity damage and 1d6 points of Strength damage. The blow renders the arm useless unless the target succeeds on a Fortitude saving throw. If the saving throw fails, the arm is severed or otherwise mangled such that only regeneration or similar effects can repair it. The target also suffers the effects of a called shot to the arm for 2d6 minutes, even if their save succeeds: attack rolls, ability checks, or skill checks made using the wounded arm take a –2 penalty. A winged creature hit in the wing must make a Fly check to avoid descending involuntarily.

Chest: 2d4 points of Constitution damage and exhausts the target. A successful Fortitude saving throw (made after the Constitution damage is applied) reduces the exhaustion to fatigue. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature’s internal injuries deal 1 point of Constitution damage in any round the creature takes a standard action. The internal injuries can be healed by a DC 25 Heal check. The target also suffers the effects of a called shot to the chest, even if their save succeeds: their physical skill checks take a –2 penalty for 1 week.

Ear: You destroy the ear and stun the target for 1 round, then leave it staggered for 1d4 rounds, and deafened until removed with the remove blindness/deafness spell or a similar effect. A successful Fortitude saving throw deafens the creature until it is restored by the remove blindness/deafness spell or a similar effect.

Eye: The eye is destroyed, causing blindness until the condition is removed with a remove blindness/deafness spell or similar effect, and deals 1d6 points of bleed damage until they receive a DC 20 Heal check or 1/10 their max HP of magical healing. A successful Reflex saving throw reduces this to 1d4 hours of loss of sight in that eye and eliminates the bleeding. The target also suffers the effects of a called shot to the eye for 2d6 minutes, even if their save succeeds: all creatures gain concealment against its attacks for 1 round and it takes –2 on Search and Spot checks for 24 hours.

Hand: 1d6 points of Dexterity damage. The blow renders the hand useless until healed unless the target succeeds at a Reflex saving throw. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the hand is severed or otherwise mangled such that only regeneration or similar effects can repair it. Regardless of the result of the saving throw, anything held in the wounded hand is automatically dropped, even items held in two or more hands. The target also suffers the effects of a called shot to the hand (if it hasn't been chopped off) for 2d6 minutes, even if their save succeeds: any attack rolls, damage rolls, ability checks, or skill checks made using the wounded hand take a –2 penalty, including rolls with two-handed weapons. In addition, the target takes a –4 penalty to resist disarm attempts, and drops its weapon (if any) on an attack roll result of a natural 1.

Head:
    1d6 points of Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma damage (roll separately for each), and knocks the target unconscious for 1d10 rounds. A successful Fortitude saving throw prevents the target from being knocked unconscious, but leaves it staggered for 1d10 rounds instead. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the target is rendered senseless by severe brain trauma (as the feeblemind spell) until it receives a heal, greater restoration, or similar effect. The target also suffers the effects of a called shot to the head for 2d6 minutes, even if their save succeeds: they are sickened for 1d4 rounds.

Heart:
    Their heart is destroyed, instantly killing any creature that relies on its heart to survive. Creatures that succeed at a Fortitude save suffer exhaustion and take 1d6 points of Constitution damage and 1d4 points of Constitution bleed damage, as do creatures that can survive without a heart. A debilitating blow to the heart against a vampire made with a piercing weapon made entirely of wood affects the vampire as a critical hit to the heart; for example, it still receives a Fortitude save to avoid the consequences.

Groin: TBA

Leg: The target is knocked prone. The blow renders the leg entirely useless until healed unless the target succeeds at a Fortitude saving throw. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the leg is severed or otherwise mangled such that only regeneration or similar effects can repair it. If the save succeeds, the target is instead lamed and moves at half speed until the leg is healed, or until it receives a Heal spell or long-term care with the Heal skill. A creature with a useless or severed leg moves at half speed if it still has more than half of its legs usable; otherwise, it cannot stand up and must crawl to move. The target also suffers the effects of a called shot to the leg (if the leg remains usable) for 2d6 minutes, even if their save succeeds: their ambulatory movement speed is reduced by 10 feet if two legged, or 5 feet if they have more than two legs, to a minimum speed of 5 feet (this stacks for hits on multiple different legs), they cannot run or charge, and they take a -2 penalty on physical skill checks.

Neck: The target cannot speak or breathe and takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage each round. A successful Fortitude saving throw reduces this to 2d6 points of regular damage, and the target is only unable to speak and breathe for 1d4 minutes. The Constitution bleed damage caused by a debilitating blow to the neck can only be stopped by regeneration (spell or special ability), magical healing that heals as many points of damage as the original blow dealt, or a DC 20 Heal check that takes 5 rounds to complete.

Vitals: 1d6 points of Constitution drain, and the target is nauseated for 1d4 rounds and sickened for 2d6 minutes. A successful Fortitude save reduces the drain to damage and the nausea to 1 round. If the save fails by 5 or more, the target is disemboweled or otherwise horrifically wounded, and takes 1 point of ongoing Constitution damage which can only be stopped by regeneration (spell or special ability), magical healing that heals as many points of damage (from one or more sources) as the original blow dealt, or a DC 20 Heal check that takes 5 rounds to complete.

Whopping Roundhouse
    Save: Fort partial

Make an unarmed attack. It counts as a heavy weapon, deals lethal damage and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. It does 4d8+strmod damage, plus or minus 1d8 per size category away from Medium, and dazes for 1 round if it hits (Fortitude negates daze).
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-06-01 at 12:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally drafted up that idea for the TOB bard class, here's the thread. This is the last of the new base classes, if it turns out decent enough to include.

I think it's successfully different from bard, but VERY unsure about balance/power level so input on that is great. It's not as long as the Animist thread was.

----

When I posted this thread awhile ago I was expecting to get it done much faster. Unfortunately, for the rest of the summer I basically can't do much on this. Fortunately, given that it lay fallow for 10 years I don't think another 3 months will do much damage.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-06-04 at 07:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the Binder one made me remember the suggestion from a couple pages ago to split the inter-subsystem stuff into its own much smaller Tome of Battle 3. This is the material we have so far that would go there:

Classes:
    New Binder vestiges
    Presumably more hybrid options

Disciplines:
    Mental Grip
    Sleeping Goddess
    [Incarnum discipline - mix of Warrior's Soul & Essential Cut]
    [Antimagic discipline - mix of Mystic Eclipse/Mystic Sovereignity/Sacred Might]
    Revision of the arcane magic one, "Solaris Arcanum"
    One of the necromantic ones?
    And I guess one divine magic one

PRCs:
    Demonspawn Harbinger
    Knight of the Word
    Occult Adversary and/or Pact-Bound Knight
    Oracle Knight
    Seeker of Lost Swords & Preserver of Future Blades
    Soul Disciple
    Warsmith

Feats:
    Presumably a smattering of hybrid feats

Not a horrible idea. Wouldn't take much effort, it's more like just putting things in a different folder.

Anyone for or against?
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-06-05 at 06:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Anti-necromancy bump in case anyone visits and wants to post. As mentioned, summer hiatus still on until Sept.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

This is something I threw at my players a while back, but I figured it would be a good fit for this project (They're technically unfinished as they didn't actually survive long enough for me to bother writing out feats and things.)

Spoiler: Hound of Reshar
    Show
    Hound of Reshar
    Medium Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 8d10 + 32 (72)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 40ft (8 squares)
    Armour Class: 23 (+3 Dex, +10 Natural), Touch 13, FF 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+19
    Attack: +1 Short sword +18 1d6 + 9 OR Bite +16 (1d6 + 8)
    Full Attack: +1 Short sword +18/+13
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks:
    Maneuvers and Stances
    (Usual maneuvers readied:
    Obscuring Shadow Veil: (+5d6 damage Will save or 50% miss chance)
    White Raven Strike: (+4d6 damage, target flat footed)
    White Raven Tactics: (Ally takes an extra turn)
    Revitalising Strike: (Heal 3d6+8 damage)
    Wall of Blades (Replace AC with an Attack roll)
    Stances:
    Island of Blades
    Tactics of The Wolf

Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Scent, Weapon Usage, Martial Adept, Sense Weapon
    Saves:
    Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +3
    Abilities:
    Str 26, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Skills: Concentration +12*, Hide +7*, Listen +7, Move Silently +7*, Spot +3, Survival +1*
    Feats: Trackb,
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Organisation: Solitary or Pack (6-9)
    Advancement: 9-12 HD (Medium), 13-18 HD (Large)
    *They only have Concentration if they also have maneuvers dependent on them. If they do, reduce Hide, Listen and Move Silently by 2 and Spot and Survival by 1.

What stands before you appears, in stature, to be an ordinary wolf. What marks it as definitively not normal is that the top of its head is silver-grey and it grasps a shortsword in its mouth, growling efforlessly behind it. If you didn't know better, you'd almost think it was attempting to challenge anyone holding a magical weapon...

Special Qualities
    Weapon Usage (Ex): Hounds of Reshar can wield light simple and martial weapons in their mouths. Weapons wielded this way are considered One-Handed weapons, rather than light. When using a weapon, a Hound of Reshar cannot use its Bite attack.

Sense Weapon (Su): Hounds of Reshar can use their Scent ability to track magic weapons. More powerful magical weapons (In terms of equivelent bonus) have a stronger "scent". Hounds of Reshar in battle will often target an opponent with a weapon stronger than one they're using and, assuming that it's a weapon they can use, upgrade mid-fight if they can incapacitate that opponent. Even with weapons they cannot use, Hounds of Reshar often collect magical weapons and gather them in their lairs. Despite their obvious value, Hounds of Reshar don't inherently value Mouthpick weapons (LoM) any higher than other weapons.

Martial Adept (Ex): Hounds of Reshar have an inborn ability to learn martial maneuvers. They have the same martial maneuver progression as Warblades, except that they may learn maneuvers from any of the nine primary disciplines. They have an initiator level equal to their racial hit dice. Additionally, if trained correctly, Hounds of Reshar may take levels in Warblade or Swordsage even though they have an animal-level of intelligence.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2019-07-25 at 08:03 PM.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

I tried out a few things for the PDF design. But I'm not a graphic designer and I think any attempt at an ornate style like the 3.5 books will look amateurish, so I'm leaning toward just illustrations and text on white. I think it will look clean and fine.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-07-25 at 07:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds like a plan to me, Elves. What do you think of the Hounds, by the by?

Ponytar by Dirtytabs