Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Decided to waste some more time with XCOM 2 this weekend. As happens whenever I pick up XCOM again, it makes an overwhelmingly positive first impression. Everything looks super cool, the game feel legible, and kicking E.T.s ass has seldom been so much fun.

    ...And then the usual school of irritations start gnawing, piranha-like, at the edges of my enjoyment. Why does Bradford never, ever, ever just shut up? Why are there these frequent random pauses after an action where nothing happens for several seconds? Why are there two entirely different systems for advancing soldiers, using two (or three) kinds of XP, in two entirely different screens? How is it that with the large piles of money thrown at this, it has one of the least easy to navigate UIs of any move-n-shoot TBS game I've played? Did their UI designer just give up, drink a quart of gin, and move to Tahiti to become a spear fisherman? Why won't Bradford stop yammering at me about the campaign missions, when the campaign missions are total traps that must be engaged with extreme caution? Why is the campaign designed to stomp you so hard for actually taking your advisers' advice? Is it actually beneficial to have to manage my solders' bromances and various psychiatric problems? If Bradford tells me that the aliens continue to make progress on the Avatar project, is it physically possible for me to chew my own ears off?

    I like XCOM, I just fine myself wishing there was a bit less of it. They've packed so much into them that you can just about feel the game starting to burst at the seams, like a boardgame with one too many expansions packed recklessly into the box. The tactical battles are great, but there's just so many of them that one starts to lose motivation for a random battle to stop a random bad thing from happening. Same with the Geoscape, the game throws options at you like condoms during move-in week at college. Which is weird, because the only gameplay on the Geoscape is go there and wait for a timer, which will inevitably be interrupted by Bradford blathering at me about another time somewhere else. I need XCOM 2: But 3/4 as Much version.
    I'm in the exact same boat with Xcom. On paper it's exactly the type of game I'd love and has everything I want. In practice it's clunky, super repetitive, annoying to play, and everything you want to do takes 3X longer than it should. I've tried to get into it so many times and I just can't.

  2. - Top - End - #1232
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I'm in the endgame of Borderlands 3 on one character, and I'm noticing that the level progression is, frankly, borked. If you do all the side stuff then you're way overlevelled anyway, but for reasons that escape me the game went from a fairly tricky level 38 zone to a stupidly easy level 36 one while following the main plot, and that isn't the first time something like that has happened. It really messes things up, because, let's face it, a major reason to play the game is the loot, and if everything that's dropping is vendor trash several levels lower than what you're already carrying, it feels like a waste.

  3. - Top - End - #1233
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    For XCOM I’m pretty sure there are a few mods Warty might like if he is a position to mod the game.
    -Narrative Control mod
    -Stop Wasting My Time mod
    -Instant Avengers Menu mod
    -Instant Loot mod

    I have not personally tried any of them. But maybe give them a look.

    For Sekiro, I personally would suggest not dealing with the horror minibosses until after you can buy Divine Confetti. I forget what triggers that shop, but being able to restock confetti changes everything.
    The very first mod I got is one called "Shut up Bradford", and it's one of the only ones to be permanently on thoughout all the different iterations of the game.

  4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    For XCOM I’m pretty sure there are a few mods Warty might like if he is a position to mod the game.
    -Narrative Control mod
    -Stop Wasting My Time mod
    -Instant Avengers Menu mod
    -Instant Loot mod

    I have not personally tried any of them. But maybe give them a look.
    I'd add to that list my personal favorite: True Concealment. Vanilla is not even playable for me simply because of the stupid time constraints in missions that also somehow tick while the enemy doesn't even know you're there. This takes care of that.

  5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tail of the Bellcurve
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I'd add to that list my personal favorite: True Concealment. Vanilla is not even playable for me simply because of the stupid time constraints in missions that also somehow tick while the enemy doesn't even know you're there. This takes care of that.
    I don't particularly mind the timers all that much, since they get me to do something besides short move + overwatch constantly. It's a kludgy, gamey solution to the problem, but at least it sort of mostly works. The meld system in Enemy Within was similarly gamey, but at least it let you turn dudes into walking death tanks and punch alien cyborgs through walls, so in my book it comes out on top.

    Really, I think the problem is that they never worked out a particularly satisfying way to handle making contact with enemy forces. They can't have all (or even most) enemies on the map try to attack the player at once, because it would be a massacre. Hence you only fight groups of enemies as you meet them, but that in turn encourages extremely slow play, because only pulling one group at a time means you can always maintain local numerical superiority. I'm really not sure what the answer here is.

    (XCOM might be one of the must fundamentally ironic games ever made, in the sense that the gameplay and the story are completely and utterly opposite. In the story you're supposed to be outteched and hopelessly outnumbered by a bunch of merciless beings who rule their subjects through mind control. In gameplay your soldiers are one for one nearly always tougher, generally better armed, usually enjoy substantial tactical numerical superiority, and of course are completely controlled by a dictatorial psychic being who runs them like puppets. If you remade the entire thing, except you play as a bunch of alien infiltrators trying to topple Earth, it would, mechanically, work perfectly. )
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.


    Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

  6. - Top - End - #1236
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Ran around a bit in Dragons Dogma as a Mystic Knight and killed the griffin, which was a pretty cool hyped up battle. Not bad. It did make me realize I perfer playing as one of the Dex classes more, as the Mystic Knight was a bit cumbersome in mobility and being not good at stabbing air foes was irritating. Casting Great Cannon was great though, but required a bit of setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  7. - Top - End - #1237
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rynjin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Ran around a bit in Dragons Dogma as a Mystic Knight and killed the griffin, which was a pretty cool hyped up battle. Not bad. It did make me realize I perfer playing as one of the Dex classes more, as the Mystic Knight was a bit cumbersome in mobility and being not good at stabbing air foes was irritating. Casting Great Cannon was great though, but required a bit of setup.
    Casting feels cumbersome until you get Articulacy from Sorcerer and the Wyrmking's Ring.

  8. - Top - End - #1238
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I don't particularly mind the timers all that much, since they get me to do something besides short move + overwatch constantly. It's a kludgy, gamey solution to the problem, but at least it sort of mostly works. The meld system in Enemy Within was similarly gamey, but at least it let you turn dudes into walking death tanks and punch alien cyborgs through walls, so in my book it comes out on top.

    Really, I think the problem is that they never worked out a particularly satisfying way to handle making contact with enemy forces. They can't have all (or even most) enemies on the map try to attack the player at once, because it would be a massacre. Hence you only fight groups of enemies as you meet them, but that in turn encourages extremely slow play, because only pulling one group at a time means you can always maintain local numerical superiority. I'm really not sure what the answer here is.

    (XCOM might be one of the must fundamentally ironic games ever made, in the sense that the gameplay and the story are completely and utterly opposite. In the story you're supposed to be outteched and hopelessly outnumbered by a bunch of merciless beings who rule their subjects through mind control. In gameplay your soldiers are one for one nearly always tougher, generally better armed, usually enjoy substantial tactical numerical superiority, and of course are completely controlled by a dictatorial psychic being who runs them like puppets. If you remade the entire thing, except you play as a bunch of alien infiltrators trying to topple Earth, it would, mechanically, work perfectly. )
    Oooh. Now I kind of want an XCOM 3, where you get to control the Chosen trying to take down Earth's military. With the ability to summon cheap alien minions like sectoids as throw away distractions.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

  9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm in the endgame of Borderlands 3 on one character, and I'm noticing that the level progression is, frankly, borked. If you do all the side stuff then you're way overlevelled anyway, but for reasons that escape me the game went from a fairly tricky level 38 zone to a stupidly easy level 36 one while following the main plot, and that isn't the first time something like that has happened. It really messes things up, because, let's face it, a major reason to play the game is the loot, and if everything that's dropping is vendor trash several levels lower than what you're already carrying, it feels like a waste.
    My wife and I play together, and it's something I complain about a lot.

    BL3 would have been a lot better with:

    • Less experience overall (so you're forced to do side-quests)
    • Worse drop rates (so you have to work hard for what you want)
    • Only great guns are available in vendors...for extreme money cost (so that you have to work hard for what you want).


    It's a lot better to have reasons to play more than it is to not have those reasons.

    Unfortunately, now even the hardest difficulty in the game, out of ~7 difficulties (Easy to Mayhem 4) is starting to be the difficulty that feels about right.

    The game's still fun, but even leveling from 50 to 57 only took me about an hour for each level. It's hard to look forward to it when it happens so frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

    5th Edition Homebrewery

    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I don't particularly mind the timers all that much, since they get me to do something besides short move + overwatch constantly. It's a kludgy, gamey solution to the problem, but at least it sort of mostly works. The meld system in Enemy Within was similarly gamey, but at least it let you turn dudes into walking death tanks and punch alien cyborgs through walls, so in my book it comes out on top.

    Really, I think the problem is that they never worked out a particularly satisfying way to handle making contact with enemy forces. They can't have all (or even most) enemies on the map try to attack the player at once, because it would be a massacre. Hence you only fight groups of enemies as you meet them, but that in turn encourages extremely slow play, because only pulling one group at a time means you can always maintain local numerical superiority. I'm really not sure what the answer here is.

    (XCOM might be one of the must fundamentally ironic games ever made, in the sense that the gameplay and the story are completely and utterly opposite. In the story you're supposed to be outteched and hopelessly outnumbered by a bunch of merciless beings who rule their subjects through mind control. In gameplay your soldiers are one for one nearly always tougher, generally better armed, usually enjoy substantial tactical numerical superiority, and of course are completely controlled by a dictatorial psychic being who runs them like puppets. If you remade the entire thing, except you play as a bunch of alien infiltrators trying to topple Earth, it would, mechanically, work perfectly. )
    Eh, perhaps it's because I'm coming from the old UFO-XCOM mindset, but shortmove + overwatch is basically the heart of XCOM for me. Fits the "we're in it deep now" atmosphere of the whole thing as well.

    About the second part, I kinda agree. It creates a dissonance perhaps not on the level of the stealth thing (for me), but still somewhat annoying. I think it could have been solved rather easily, though, if they cared about it: either with a initially weak enemy and a constant reinforcement mechanic, or a simple balancing of the enemy roster.

    And about the third part, unfortunately the story of almost every game nowadays push the stakes up to maximum as the first thing they do, so anything that isn't "nintendo hard" is going to have that clash regardless.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2020-03-30 at 08:29 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I think I found the worst boss in a Soulsborne game. Chalice Dungeon Amigdala. Ridiculous amount of health and enough damage to kill in a single hit. Good luck not getting hit for 15 minutes.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

    Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

  12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MCerberus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    And about the third part, unfortunately the story of almost every game nowadays push the stakes up to maximum as the first thing they do, so anything that isn't "nintendo hard" is going to have that clash regardless.
    Fun note, canonically XCOM2 happens because the aliens sent sectopods and zerkers in the initial waves when you only had rookies.

    But yes there is going to be a divide between lore power and what happens in-game because the new games are board games where they let you bend the odds with a strategic layer. They even went so far as to describe the Chosen as "other players" on the strategic layer.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

    Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

  13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Fun note, canonically XCOM2 happens because the aliens sent sectopods and zerkers in the initial waves when you only had rookies.

    But yes there is going to be a divide between lore power and what happens in-game because the new games are board games where they let you bend the odds with a strategic layer. They even went so far as to describe the Chosen as "other players" on the strategic layer.
    That's the biggest hole in Xcom 2's "story" to me. Why spend all this effort to rescue an incompetent commander who lost their war and got captured almost immediately?

  14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    That's the biggest hole in Xcom 2's "story" to me. Why spend all this effort to rescue an incompetent commander who lost their war and got captured almost immediately?
    You can't be that bad if the aliens took the effort to keep you in stasis instead of executing you.

  15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    You can't be that bad if the aliens took the effort to keep you in stasis instead of executing you.
    Alternatively, you can't be that good if they took the risk of leaving you in poorly guarded stasis instead of executing you.

    Still, we're talking about a group whose most effective military strategy involves standing around while you pick them off a few at a time, so maybe the commander truly is a genius by their standards.

  16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I kind of like the approach this LP of XCOM 2 took. The humans won the initial war (in an unmodded, pre-Enemy Within game), then the aliens struck back, kidnapped the Commander, waged and won a long, attrition-based war (a.k.a. the Long War mod, also introducing EW tech), leading into XCOM 2.
    ithilanor on Steam.

  17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I tried out Bannerlord now that it's in Early Access. Unfortunately, it seems to be too unstable for me, keeps freezing up at the worst time (made me run face first in a sword). Too bad, I otherwise really enjoy the game.

  18. - Top - End - #1248
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I tried out Bannerlord now that it's in Early Access. Unfortunately, it seems to be too unstable for me, keeps freezing up at the worst time (made me run face first in a sword). Too bad, I otherwise really enjoy the game.
    And right there is one of the reasons I don't do Early Access--you're paying to playtest their game, not to play it early, despite the title. Add to the chance that UI and even entire gameplay loops may change before final release, and that I amy well be bored with the game and no longer want to play it by that time (as happened for me with Minecraft), and I'd rather just wait for the proper release.

  19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And right there is one of the reasons I don't do Early Access--you're paying to playtest their game, not to play it early, despite the title. Add to the chance that UI and even entire gameplay loops may change before final release, and that I amy well be bored with the game and no longer want to play it by that time (as happened for me with Minecraft), and I'd rather just wait for the proper release.
    Honestly, I think the only reason they released on Early Access is because everyone keeps complaining they took too long. In any case, this was a day 1 buy for me because I really love Warband, and despite the unstable state, I think it's already a lot of fun, and when it's completed, I'll be enjoying it a lot.

  20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And right there is one of the reasons I don't do Early Access--you're paying to playtest their game, not to play it early, despite the title. Add to the chance that UI and even entire gameplay loops may change before final release, and that I amy well be bored with the game and no longer want to play it by that time (as happened for me with Minecraft), and I'd rather just wait for the proper release.
    For me it depends on the developer. I enjoyed Subnautica so much that I bought early access for the sequel just to support the developer even though I'm going to wait until the game releases to play. There's a few other devs that I'd support like that. For the most part though I agree that early access is a scam.

    Trying to get into Rimworld. It seems interesting but it's one of those games with an enormous learning curve before you can get to the fun parts. I don't know ifni have the patience for it.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2020-03-31 at 02:24 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I think I found the worst boss in a Soulsborne game. Chalice Dungeon Amigdala. Ridiculous amount of health and enough damage to kill in a single hit. Good luck not getting hit for 15 minutes.
    Ah yes, Defiled Amygdala. At least, I assume it's the Defiled one? Pretty infamous boss, though I found the Defiled Watchdog to be worse.

    Once I got the hang of it I actually had a lot of fun with this fight. It forces you to learn Amygdala's patterns instead of just charging in.

    Cursed Amydala ranks third on my list of hardest Bloodborne bosses. The others being:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Defiled Watchdog of the Old Gods and Headless Bloodletting Beast


    The latter is one of the only bosses to make me throw my controller across the room in frustration.

  22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Defiled Watchdog was super weird. I did it with two other players and all of us were playing cautiously, always backing up when it was charging up something. We did it on first try without anyone dying.

    What I usually see in coop is someone getting stupidly killed in the first 30 seconds by rushing blindly.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

    Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

  23. - Top - End - #1253
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And right there is one of the reasons I don't do Early Access--you're paying to playtest their game, not to play it early, despite the title. Add to the chance that UI and even entire gameplay loops may change before final release, and that I amy well be bored with the game and no longer want to play it by that time (as happened for me with Minecraft), and I'd rather just wait for the proper release.
    Early access would only be logically sound IMHO if it were always at a large discount -- something like 30-50%, but the way it is right now, it's pretty much not on the consumer's side. Even the name itself is an obvious marketing ploy -- early "access". Instead of something like "early release" or "early sale", or to think of it, even "beta release" would be more accurate.

    Also, waiting for something is so passé, you know.

  24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Beat dog ninja in Sekiro, then after a bunch of tries on trying to beat Owl legitimately.....I just got tired of it and decided to mod Sekiro so I don't have spend emblems for anything, my own thoughts being conflicted back and forth between doing the whole game legit or modding it to save time, and so I compromised with the mod I said, because while it technically makes it easier, it doesn't affect survivability or health bars, so while I can cheese the game more, it still killed me multiple times while I went through it.
    I still have to think smart in how I used my hax to win, and when I got to Fountainhead palace all thoughts of me ever regretting my decision went out the window when I got insta-killed by lightning beams, terror kamehamehas while dudes threw balls at me like they were cannons, making me feel like my choice to mod the game so I didn't need emblems and now able to kill things by throwing infinite phantom kunais is just making the game fair, because now I can snipe them before they snipe me. I have seen with my own eyes that this game is willing to use the same cheap tactics to kill me first, I don't care. its not as if any of the enemies have limited ammo. that and I'm a ninja so...being cheap/cheesing it to win is par for the course to me. I feel like I've leveled the playing field, that in this game cheesing it is just half the fun and necessary to actually making progress in a sane amount of time. they have their terror and shock hax, I have my phantom kunai hax, thats a level playing field as far as I'm concerned.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25! I'm also on discord as "raziere".



  25. - Top - End - #1255
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Well, I think I've come to the end of Granblue Fantasy Versus being my fighting game of choice, at least for now. Spent most of a month on it now, alternated between four characters, and wound up liking three of them (Zeta, Katalina, Percival) and only not liking one (Ferry), which is pretty good for a game that only has 12 characters before DLC. But boy oh boy, does the online need some work. As the player base has started to dwindle - and for a fighting game with as niche of an audience outside Japan as this, of course it did so pretty quickly - it's become harder and harder to find players with good connections, and the game itself isn't helping with that, since the connection filter in ranked mode does nothing, and you straight-up can't see anyone's connection rating in lobbies at all. Those two things really need to be fixed. Not totally sure if I'll come back to the game until they are.

    In the meantime, think I'll go back to Dragonball FighterZ. Only played it for about a week after the season 3 update hit, since Granblue came out right after, but I was having a lot of fun with that, so I'm looking forward to more of it.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Beat dog ninja in Sekiro, then after a bunch of tries on trying to beat Owl legitimately.....I just got tired of it and decided to mod Sekiro so I don't have spend emblems for anything, my own thoughts being conflicted back and forth between doing the whole game legit or modding it to save time, and so I compromised with the mod I said, because while it technically makes it easier, it doesn't affect survivability or health bars, so while I can cheese the game more, it still killed me multiple times while I went through it.
    I still have to think smart in how I used my hax to win, and when I got to Fountainhead palace all thoughts of me ever regretting my decision went out the window when I got insta-killed by lightning beams, terror kamehamehas while dudes threw balls at me like they were cannons, making me feel like my choice to mod the game so I didn't need emblems and now able to kill things by throwing infinite phantom kunais is just making the game fair, because now I can snipe them before they snipe me. I have seen with my own eyes that this game is willing to use the same cheap tactics to kill me first, I don't care. its not as if any of the enemies have limited ammo. that and I'm a ninja so...being cheap/cheesing it to win is par for the course to me. I feel like I've leveled the playing field, that in this game cheesing it is just half the fun and necessary to actually making progress in a sane amount of time. they have their terror and shock hax, I have my phantom kunai hax, thats a level playing field as far as I'm concerned.
    You're going to have a fun time against the last boss, because I don't think there's any way to cheese him.

  27. - Top - End - #1257
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    A bit late to the party, I played the first three hours of the Outer Wilds yesterday.

    It was, without a doubt, the most fun, exciting, scary and intriguing gaming experience I have had since I started playing video games at the age of four. I am completely flabbergasted and while I've only dipped into it a little bit and don't know how the plot wraps up or the gameplay develops, I suspect that I will come to regard this game as the pinnacle of interactive experiences thus far. I am completely shook.

    I went into it with a lot of knowledge about what to expect and was overwhelmed anyways but I think that going into it blind will magnify the experience.

    The vague summary is that you are one of a species of cutesy aliens in a cartoony solar system who takes off from the home planet to explore space. The transition between space and stellar objects (planets, moons etc.) is completely seamless as you traverse the system in your little semi-homemade shuttle, finding clues and solving puzzles about the enigmatic aliens who have left traces all over, as well as others of your kind who travel out there. A central conceit of the game is also a major early spoiler, explained below if you prefer to know what you're in for.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is revealed very quickly but still constitutes a major twist in the format: after a half-hour or so, the sun goes supernova and engulfs the entire solar system. You wake up on the night of your launch into space (again). You're caught in a time loop and every journey you learn new details that guide you elsewhere in the system in the search for answers.


    The game is very grounded in its immersion - most of the UI and menus you encounter are actual terminals and tools you interact with in the game world. I really want to home in on this ingenuity of design, because the subtle details of how you control your character really hammer home the dread and awe of navigating the cosmos with your little body inside your little spaceship.

  28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    You're going to have a fun time against the last boss, because I don't think there's any way to cheese him.
    Good! The last boss SHOULD be that challenging, I was just tired of dying over and over again and wanted to make actual progress, if I have to earn final bosses death no matter what I do, thats fine by me.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25! I'm also on discord as "raziere".



  29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Just happened to start Sekiro again today.

    And there are so many ways to cheese the final boss. I know of at least two. They are not super easy either, though. But trying to beat him just with sword fighting took 10 of my 90 hours playtime over about a week. With a bit of cheese, I managed to kill him in probably an hour or so.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

    Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

  30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Just happened to start Sekiro again today.

    And there are so many ways to cheese the final boss. I know of at least two. They are not super easy either, though. But trying to beat him just with sword fighting took 10 of my 90 hours playtime over about a week. With a bit of cheese, I managed to kill him in probably an hour or so.
    An hour or so plus 10 more hours of experience beforehand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •