Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

I actually am playing Daggerfall.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    (Not suggesting you were saying that, mind, it just came to me while I read your comment)
    And you're perfectly on point. I sneer and wrinkle my nose at those heathen cave dwellers who toil with their sad plastic gimmicks like pigs in filth while we enlightened, high-brow intellectuals tap gently our keyboards, elevated, pristine and noble, dappled by the golden light of the sun.

Then I tried Shank, and Hollow Knight - with a keyboard and mouse - and eventually simply had to accept that for certain jobs, a game pad is the proper tool.

I still reserve the right to look down on consoles, though :p

Bloody heathens! =)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Skyrim - Welp aside from a tragic shortage of goat horns my house expansion is complete. The three towers are kinda short on floor space but do seem to have adequate storage spaces. Perhaps soonish I'll rearrange my house to move my stuff. Today I'm tackling moving my book collection.

It's a task. I downloaded the "unlimited bookshelves" mod off the steam workshop. Which is supposed to allow you to fill shelves by item width. Initially it didn't seem to work so I closed the program and restarted it to double check my mod loading order. Changing nothing I launched again and it seemed to work this time. I began placing one copy of every note and book I owned onto the shelves build in my library. I quickly had reservations that I would have enough room for this but it turns out everything fit filling the upstairs shelves and two of the mainfloor bookshelves. The mod seems to work well aside from a few books clipping through each other. Likely a number of them have width values that are set slightly too low. Kind of makes me nervous that I'll come back to the house and find out a bunch of books get deleted if they were to fall out of the shelf. Mods...

Also it turns out I'm missing quite a significant number of books across skyrim. At least 140 out of the 470 according to a list I pulled off a wiki. Let alone notes. Apparently the list I'm looking at while including books included in Dawnguard and Hearthfire does not include books added by the Dragonborn DLC. So I have more checking to do still. Definitely going to run out of shelf space in the library at some point. Maybe in the future I'll separate out the notes and letters and put them elsewhere. At least now I have a list I can reference when I visit merchants so I can keep an eye out for the stuff I'm missing.

This all just reminds me of what I've always wanted for Skyrim or TES games in general. A chest that automatically populates the area it's in with the items you put in it. Anyway all this burying myself in books is just another reason I will never finish a TES game.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

After 100%ing Rogue Squadron, I'm on to 100%ing GTA3.
    Cranks up the radio and plays 'Push it to the limit' all day long

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

Occupy White Walls. It's a free sort-of MMO in beta. You build an art gallery and hang art in it, then go look at other players art galleries. I find it VERY relaxing.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Still on Smash Ultimate as my multiplayer game of choice. I'm up to thirteen characters in Elite Smash now - including five of the seven Fire Emblem characters, so I'm tempted to try and get the remaining two (Marth and Roy, ironically) up there as well.
    Edit: Make that fourteen - just got my Falco to elite at last. :)

On the single-player side with Devil May Cry 5 about to come up I decided to play a little bit of DMC4 Special Edition to get back into that. Playing as Trish in that game is so much fun - though it really makes me wish that she was going to be playable in 5, but alas, that's not to be from what I understand. Oh well, it'll still be great to finally have a true new Devil May Cry after so long - and maybe if the rumors that a Marvel vs Capcom 4 is on the horizon are true I might be able to hope that Trish returns in that.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-03-05 at 10:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

I have played Wandersong up to.....Chapter Five I believe. real nice. a nice silly story that has surprising amount of serious and sad moments and chapter 4 in particular was a big mood shift.

I've started playing Dark Souls 1. Got through the undead asylum on Deprived. The boss while taking me down to a sliver of health never actually killed me and I got through on my first try. demon, I've beaten Iudex Gundyr with a deprived long before I faced you, and he was FAR harder and faster. gonna take more than that to kill Ol' Raziere, the fast skeleton shield guy outside was more of a problem cause he actually killed me a couple times, and only because I kept trying to parry rather than do the simple solutions.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Found the Witcher III, Skyrim for PS4, Far Cry Primal, and FF Dissidia all for cheap.

Planning to get Stellaris as soon as we order an external hard drive. Fallout. Skyrim, and Ark just eat too much data.

Started with Witcher. Is neat as I havnt played any of the others.
    Dude drives like a boat sometimes.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I have played Wandersong up to.....Chapter Five I believe. real nice. a nice silly story that has surprising amount of serious and sad moments and chapter 4 in particular was a big mood shift.

I've started playing Dark Souls 1. Got through the undead asylum on Deprived. The boss while taking me down to a sliver of health never actually killed me and I got through on my first try. demon, I've beaten Iudex Gundyr with a deprived long before I faced you, and he was FAR harder and faster. gonna take more than that to kill Ol' Raziere, the fast skeleton shield guy outside was more of a problem cause he actually killed me a couple times, and only because I kept trying to parry rather than do the simple solutions.
    Makes me more tempted to get Wandersong. Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Found the Witcher III, Skyrim for PS4, Far Cry Primal, and FF Dissidia all for cheap.

Planning to get Stellaris as soon as we order an external hard drive. Fallout. Skyrim, and Ark just eat too much data.

Started with Witcher. Is neat as I havnt played any of the others.
    Dude drives like a boat sometimes.
    Hmm, I was complaining about Geralt’s handling just a bit ago. Just wait until you drive a boat :P
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of The Witcher, because my short amount of time with The Witcher 2 impressed me, but I want to know the whole story (and don't have anything that'll run the one people recommend) I picked up The Witcher (1) at the weekend.

I can see that the control scheme for over the shoulder needs some tightening up, being able to attack without clicking on an enemy would be nice, but I find the three styles thing interesting enough to wish they'd expanded on it more in the following games. I can definitely see why people say it's the weakest of the series, but I'm still finding it fun.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post

Hmm, I was complaining about Geralt’s handling just a bit ago. Just wait until you drive a boat :P
    Just sputtered about in a boat today actually.

It's not nearly as bad as the death sentence that is riding a horse into combat.
    Seriously, bandits on horseback are so easy to unhorse then coup de grace.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

I have finished:
    Spoiler: Wandersong Ending
    Show

and with that the wandersong bard just catapulted his way into a hero equal to people like, Steven Universe, Pacifist Frisk and Simon from TTGL by healing the entire world with his rainbow song to save it from destruction- and not even having the full Earthsong! he did so by bringing the world into harmony by caring for every single life on in the world- including even the insects he refuses to step on. thats enlightened monk levels of compassion there.

while the "hero" was only out for her own glory all along and didn't really care for anyone else. she selfishly pursued her own glory and image over saving everyone's lives because she couldn't let go of being the chosen one. and in the end after world is restored....she seems nowhere to be found. implying that she died as a result of her selfishness,the only thing left intact being her reputation which was what she wanted. yet the bard doesn't care- he didn't do this for glory.

I also liked Miriam. she was a good counterbalance to the bard's silly cheeriness. the entire game was pretty well balanced in how it mixed and light and dark to keep the game cheery but with a bite and actual emotion to it, there were definitely parts where things just went creepy, depressing or terrifying, between the sun palace, the clock town, the part where the world was actually ending they were just silent silhouettes in a white sky. as well as how it built and develop characters despite how short it was, Miriam having her own journey through the world as you go along, dealing with the fact that she feels like an outcast between her magic powers, introversion, and personality while being outshined by a silly bard. she helped make a lot of this feel more real and better developed because of her contrast.

and the weirder thing is? from a certain perspective, the entire game is almost a very cheery parallel universe to dark souls: a hero is chosen to kill various things so as to end the current cycle of the world and start a new one as the universe ends and dark beings begin to fester, but here that hero is the villain. instead some silly bard screws destiny and keeps the current world going, renewing it without killing the people within. and in the end, the world is saved by everyone, not just one person seeking glory.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Just discovered Mutant Year Zero, a game which somehow passed me by entirely despite checking all of my boxes. It's XCOM meets Wasteland with a greater emphasis on stealth, with a Fallout sense of humor. I've been really enjoying what I've seen so far. The one disappointment thus far is the low party size of 3, which makes me wonder why there's an Ironman option since losing a single character is pretty much a death sentence. I'm hoping that I'll get at least one more person into the party later to make the fights more complex.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Just sputtered about in a boat today actually.

It's not nearly as bad as the death sentence that is riding a horse into combat.
    Seriously, bandits on horseback are so easy to unhorse then coup de grace.
    Oooohhhh yeah I hate the Roach controls. No finesse. The races in particular, it's just try to block the other dude.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Playing Dawn of Man! I realize it almost plays itself, but it's a really nice, low pressure city builder. Though you can die if you do something stupid, like relocate your entire city across the map in the middle of winter.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Well, Steam has Fallout 4 for 50% off until next week, so I know what I'm doing.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

On a whim decided to buy and try Vergil's Downfall for DmC Devil May Cry last night (due to not having anything that'll run DMC5) shut beating the main game. Only got through the first mission, but it already feels more like Devil May Cry than the base game did, mainly due to Vergil's tighter control, the use of a single larger jump instead of a double jump, and the weirder demonic environments. The use of the summoned swords in order to teleport is also quite fun, it feels faster than Dante's chains and I haven't encountered an arena larger than it's maximum range yet. In fact, Vergil feels just that little bit faster than Dante in general.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Or, I won't be playing Fallout 4, because my computer can't swing it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I once played Fallout 4. wasn't as good as New Vegas, and I tried F4 first. F4 just made me feel empty for some reason even when I modded it to try and make it more fun. I doubt your missing much. the most fun I ever had with Fallout 4 was watching TFS's playthrough of it, because they can make anything funny

what I'm playing now is Dark Souls Remastered. Deprived class. with my experience playing DS3, I'm going for using a rapier and shield while keeping my equip load light so I can dodge roll fast for right now. also to parry more often just because I can. also focusing on leveling up my stamina firstly to keep myself able to keep moving.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

I once played Fallout 4. wasn't as good as New Vegas, and I tried F4 first. F4 just made me feel empty for some reason even when I modded it to try and make it more fun. I doubt your missing much. the most fun I ever had with Fallout 4 was watching TFS's playthrough of it, because they can make anything funny
    To be fair, New Vegas is the best Fallout game. I've not played FO4, but from what I've heard it suggests from the FO3 problem of there being not enough rebuilding going on outside of a few settlements (I mean, in NV both the NCR and Legion are actively trying to expand, even if New Vegas itself seems more concerned with just remaining at the level it is).

I picked up Pillars of Eternity last night as it was 40% off, and I've got it all installed and ready to go when I get home. I'm considering going for a Wizard, Chanter, or Ranger as my PC, not sold on exactly which of the three though.

Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    You need a pretty hefty graphics card (gtx 980 or better to play at 1080p with graphics maxed). That's about all that needs to be special I think.

If your graphics card is good, then it's very pretty, but I don't think it's a great game, there are some good fights in it, but there is a lot of story that isn't that great in my view.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-03-10 at 10:37 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    To be fair, New Vegas is the best Fallout game. I've not played FO4, but from what I've heard it suggests from the FO3 problem of there being not enough rebuilding going on outside of a few settlements (I mean, in NV both the NCR and Legion are actively trying to expand, even if New Vegas itself seems more concerned with just remaining at the level it is).
    yeah? the FO4 factions had minutemen who act like rebuilding and protecting each other is a revolutionary idea they're spreading, the while the BoS and the Railroad are more focused on whether robots should have civil rights or not in the bombed remnants of the previous age full of raiders and mutated super-beasts, while the Institute....I forget, what was their motivation/goal again? but yeah, I think there are more important things in the Fallout universe to be concerned about, the whole synth thing feels like it belongs in a cyberpunk plot not a fallout game. mostly because the synths look too much like those clean cyberpunk I,robot movie type of robots and thus look too out of place in Fallout, especially after seeing NV's robots, E-DE and the Think Tank.

Fallout just isn't the place for the Institutes kind of aesthetic and theme. like you can have shiny futuristic aesthetic here and there but it has be 50's about it with rayguns and silliness you don't get from modern visions of the future. and people can treat it seriously, but the robots themselves have to be silly. like imagine if you replaced all the synths with securitrons, then you have a Fallout plot, because then it makes the factions completely freaking insane as they should be, because thats apart of Fallout's absurd humor.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

yeah? the FO4 factions had minutemen who act like rebuilding and protecting each other is a revolutionary idea they're spreading, the while the BoS and the Railroad are more focused on whether robots should have civil rights or not in the bombed remnants of the previous age full of raiders and mutated super-beasts, while the Institute....I forget, what was their motivation/goal again? but yeah, I think there are more important things in the Fallout universe to be concerned about, the whole synth thing feels like it belongs in a cyberpunk plot not a fallout game. mostly because the synths look too much like those clean cyberpunk I,robot movie type of robots and thus look too out of place in Fallout, especially after seeing NV's robots, E-DE and the Think Tank.
    I remember one of the writers of New Vegas claiming that if they do a Fallout story again they're going to destroy the NCR as it 'ruins the feel'. The thing is, the idea of rebuilding and establishing civilisation all over again has been there since FO1, the NCR is a direct descendant of one of the settlements in the game and the three 'West Coast' games seem to have an ongoing theme that those trying to adapt and rebuild the world are moving forward, while those trying to maintain a status quo are failing. In fact, when I played Fallout 3 it felt like there was less of an attempt to rebuild than in Fallout 1, despite it being over a hundred years later (nevermind that they changed the GECK from a bunch of seeds, chemicals, and instructions to a magical terraforming device).

Fallout just isn't the place for the Institutes kind of aesthetic and theme. like you can have shiny futuristic aesthetic here and there but it has be 50's about it with rayguns and silliness you don't get from modern visions of the future. and people can treat it seriously, but the robots themselves have to be silly. like imagine if you replaced all the synths with securitrons, then you have a Fallout plot, because then it makes the factions completely freaking insane as they should be, because thats apart of Fallout's absurd humor.
    Oh, totally. Wasn't the idea of Fallout that the world of the 50s/60s extended for another century and a bit before the world destroyed itself with nuclear fire? I'd allow the really advanced stuff to maybe have an 80s aesthetic, but one of the things that gives Fallout it's style is the retro look.

Like, if Fallout introduce new robots that looked like Robbie the Robot and were sentient I'd probably roll with it, that's Fallout enough. Fallout when done right dances right on the line of serious and absurd without quite falling into either.

Started Pillars of Eternity just now, I really do miss isometric RPGs, so this is feeling great from the start just by the way it plays, and the writing is great too.

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I remember one of the writers of New Vegas claiming that if they do a Fallout story again they're going to destroy the NCR as it 'ruins the feel'. The thing is, the idea of rebuilding and establishing civilisation all over again has been there since FO1, the NCR is a direct descendant of one of the settlements in the game and the three 'West Coast' games seem to have an ongoing theme that those trying to adapt and rebuild the world are moving forward, while those trying to maintain a status quo are failing. In fact, when I played Fallout 3 it felt like there was less of an attempt to rebuild than in Fallout 1, despite it being over a hundred years later (nevermind that they changed the GECK from a bunch of seeds, chemicals, and instructions to a magical terraforming device).
    .....I dunno, destroying the NCR seems like absurd comic book style status-quo reset bull to me. like yes, it got to the point where it was an actual successful nation and whatnot, but isn't that the POINT of rebuilding? if you go into an eternal cycle of rebuilding and resetting destruction, its not really much of a progression and the Fallout universe becomes a grimdark world where every time someone gets somewhere a nuke magically appears to keep them in the Rad Ages.

25. - Top - End - #85

.....I dunno, destroying the NCR seems like absurd comic book style status-quo reset bull to me. like yes, it got to the point where it was an actual successful nation and whatnot, but isn't that the POINT of rebuilding? if you go into an eternal cycle of rebuilding and resetting destruction, its not really much of a progression and the Fallout universe becomes a grimdark world where every time someone gets somewhere a nuke magically appears to keep them in the Rad Ages.
    So... 76?

More seriously, am pretty sure that's exactly what the Fallout world is.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Actually you could destroy the NCR without ruining the feel. Have it be a civil war, where they're split into the Resurrectionists, and the Reconstructionists. The former want to bring back the vaults, and take people I to them to let the world recover. Resurrecting Vault-Tec in essence.

While the latter, is all about reconstructing their own idealized version of history where there are only those who conform and everyone suspects everyone else of not being true to the cause.

Of course then you set them up to have to travel through long tunnels to reach their leaders secret bunker to meet him. And on the opposite side is a door she mentions as being a secret escape route.

Of course at the end you head down to take the root of the evil opposition... And find that it's been the same person all along and that the two people are just holograms over the same Assaultron and the entire thing was a Vault-Tec experiment, ala Vault 19.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Finished playing through Kingdom Hearts 2 over the weekend with the family. That was one absurdly long set of final boss fights. Thankfully it was a lot of fun, and ridiculously over the top, but sheesh that took forever to finally finish. I want to properly earn the secret ending, but I dunno if I want to bother with fighting the final boss again, hrm.

Now we're on to Birth By Sleep. My 5y/o daughter has been steadily playing the games more as we go along, and she's now beat her first KH boss all on her own. Gamer Dad is proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Actually you could destroy the NCR without ruining the feel. Have it be a civil war, where they're split into the Resurrectionists, and the Reconstructionists. The former want to bring back the vaults, and take people I to them to let the world recover. Resurrecting Vault-Tec in essence.

While the latter, is all about reconstructing their own idealized version of history where there are only those who conform and everyone suspects everyone else of not being true to the cause.

Of course then you set them up to have to travel through long tunnels to reach their leaders secret bunker to meet him. And on the opposite side is a door she mentions as being a secret escape route.

Of course at the end you head down to take the root of the evil opposition... And find that it's been the same person all along and that the two people are just holograms over the same Assaultron and the entire thing was a Vault-Tec experiment, ala Vault 19.
    Oh sure, my point wasn't that destroying the NCR ruins the feel, but that the NCR itself doesn't ruin the feel of Fallout (in fact it's pretty integral to it and half the reason the Capital Wasteland was so disappointing). In fact the NCR falling apart, having people fight over the remnants, and end up with one or more successor states feels like it successfully meets botht he idea of rebuilding after a disaster and 'war never changes'.

It was more a rant about how the idea that the NCR should be destroyed because it goes against the style of Fallout is, well, silly. The NCR is the epitome of Fallout, right down to being just that little bit silly.

Show

29. - Top - End - #89

So, when I first fired up Witcher III I was on painkillers for this tooth removal.
    This was a poor decision.

Got to a level in the early teens and failed to get a playing card from a, now deceased, baron before deciding to restart.

Game is much more comprehensible and fun with a clear head and accurate fingers.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2019-03-13 at 09:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Diablo I has finally been put up on GOG (no Hellfire, sadly, but that expansion was unofficial anyway and I'm sure there are rights issues), and I've finally gotten to answer a question that has been bugging me for years.

Was Diablo I really a fundamentally different experience from every game that followed it? Or was I just blinded by nostalgia?

The answer, surprisingly enough, is that I was right all these years. The experience is totally different. Being able to get manhandled by even a single, non-boss enemy is just something that never happens in the subsequent games. I tried to take a Skeleton Captain in melee as a Mage on the first floor of the Cathedral, and he whooped my ass. Enemies have outright magic immunities right from the start. Hell itself was torture, as all the enemies I was "lucky" enough to get had 75% resist to all forms of magic, and my squishy wizard self would just pop if they got close. With no Fireball spell found, I often found myself dropping Succubi with the lowly Firebolt spell I started the game with.

And the tension! Being actually afraid of opening a room to see what enemies are inside instead of just opening the door and spamming a skill until everything is dead. Running away from a pack of melee monsters that could eat my face, only to round the corner and be met with volley fire from a squad of Plague Beasts. The walking speed makes all the difference here, since unlike all Diablo-likes since you aren't able to outrun a majority of the enemies. If you get enemies on your ass, you have to deal with them, and post-haste.

The item game was also rather refreshing. One thing I hate about the more modern games is that you only return to town to sell loot, and loot drops in such ludicrous amounts that even Magic items are often left on the ground. On the first two levels of the Cathedral, I found a grand total of 3 Magic items. Potions were expensive enough to be a real concern throughout, and the only times I had to TP to sell loot was when I just finished quests with treasure chambers as rewards (e.g. Chamber of Bone). I found exactly one Unique, the rather useless Storm Spire. In general, Town Portals were generally used to run screaming whenever I ran completely out of mana during a fight.

All in all, it's re-doubled my wish to see a modern game take on this playstyle. Diablo-like gameplay, but with a slow and strategic speed, resource scarcity, enemies that can murder you if you don't play carefully, and no easy "peace out return to town!" button. The last game I think came even close is the original Dungeon Siege, and that game had um...issues. It's also near 20 years old itself at this point.

Think I might give a Warrior a shot now and see how different it feels. Not having any skills might make the game boring though, and it's easily the biggest weakness of the original game. I still feel the rage at having to chase Goatmen down one at a time.