New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Strike of the Giants Prerequisite Question

I just wanted to ask and check how the prerequisites for the feat: Strike of the Giants works.

So, it says Martial Weapon Proficiency, now does this mean that you need to have the Martial Weapon proficiency or would have proficiency with one weapon that is a Martial weapon qualify you to take this?
    Shy Tentacle Monster in the Playground... It's not as bad as it sounds, I swear.

2. - Top - End - #2

HalflingWizardGirl

Lightbulb Re: Strike of the Giants Prerequisite Question

Quote Originally Posted by werescythe View Post
    I just wanted to ask and check how the prerequisites for the feat: Strike of the Giants works.

So, it says Martial Weapon Proficiency, now does this mean that you need to have the Martial Weapon proficiency or would have proficiency with one weapon that is a Martial weapon qualify you to take this?
    That is quite a good question. It specifically phrases the prerequisite as “Martial Weapon Proficiency”; since “weapon” is singular here, I’d rule as a DM that a character need be proficient in only one martial weapon, so e.g. a 2014 PHB Druid could take it due to scimitar proficiency. As far as I know, that druid and the 2014 Monk are the edgiest edge cases for this, due to granting only a single martial weapon proficiency from their class.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Strike of the Giants Prerequisite Question

I agree with P.G. Macer, with a caveat that you can only use the feat with a weapon that meets the prerequisite. This ruling would stipulate that you can't use a simple weapon with it - which does break the verisimilitude of using a great club with the Hill Strike... but maybe if you asked nicely (it's not like great clubs are amazingly awesome weapon choices...
    Trollbait extraordinaire

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I interpreted it as having proficiency with all martial weapons, I.E. a fighter, a barbarian, etc.
    What I'm Playing: D&D 5e
    What I've Played: D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, D&D 5e, B/X D&D, CoC, Delta Green

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Modern in sense of design focus. I consider any system that puts more weight in the buttons that players mash over the rest of the system as modern.

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I interpreted it as having proficiency with all martial weapons, I.E. a fighter, a barbarian, etc.
    Same, and restriction to martial classes makes more sense to me than an exclusion of some casters given the thematics of the feat, but the wording is definitely ambiguous.

See the prerequisite of Fighting Initiate as a counter example: "proficiency with a martial weapon."

That said, I think ruling either way is both supportable by the text and reasonable. All but the strangest caster builds are going to be disincentivized to take the feat anyway.

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Yeah, that was my initial thought.

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    That is quite a good question. It specifically phrases the prerequisite as “Martial Weapon Proficiency”; since “weapon” is singular here, I’d rule as a DM that a character need be proficient in only one martial weapon, so e.g. a 2014 PHB Druid could take it due to scimitar proficiency. As far as I know, that druid and the 2014 Monk are the edgiest edge cases for this, due to granting only a single martial weapon proficiency from their class.
    I had wondered that, the reason I kind of bring it up is because I have an idea for a Soul Knife (since Rogues are proficient with rapiers) and combine it with Cloud Strike to have the option to turn invisible (and deal a little extra damage).
    Shy Tentacle Monster in the Playground... It's not as bad as it sounds, I swear.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

I actually disagree with this - I think the intent was for any martial weapon to qualify. Requiring all of them doesn't just eliminate rogues, it eliminates monks as well, despite the damage bonuses working with their monk unarmed strikes (because US counts as a "melee weapon attack.")

Enforcing this ban means the only way for monks to qualify is with the foundling background - while certainly flavorful, it doesn't seem fair or intended to force them down this singular path when other martials don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I actually disagree with this - I think the intent was for any martial weapon to qualify. Requiring all of them doesn't just eliminate rogues, it eliminates monks as well, despite the damage bonuses working with their monk unarmed strikes (because US counts as a "melee weapon attack.")

Enforcing this ban means the only way for monks to qualify is with the foundling background - while certainly flavorful, it doesn't seem fair or intended to force them down this singular path when other martials don't have to.
    True, and excluding the Monk is unfortunate, but your way might be a little too inclusive. Monks, rogues, bards, bladesingers, hexblades, war clerics, elves, basically any custom race you want...it makes me wonder if WotC meant for it to be so broad, especially when they've used more specific language before in "proficiency in any martial weapon" as opposed to "martial weapon proficiency".

Really its all fairly fussy because you can just use the giant foundling background. Its just a background, and we can already substitute the skills and features in them by RAW.
    Last edited by Trask; 2024-04-12 at 06:13 PM.
    What I'm Playing: D&D 5e
    What I've Played: D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, D&D 5e, B/X D&D, CoC, Delta Green

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Modern in sense of design focus. I consider any system that puts more weight in the buttons that players mash over the rest of the system as modern.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

True, and excluding the Monk is unfortunate, but your way might be a little too inclusive. Monks, rogues, bards, bladesingers, hexblades, war clerics, elves, basically any custom race you want...it makes me wonder if WotC meant for it to be so broad, especially when they've used more specific language before in "proficiency in any martial weapon" as opposed to "martial weapon proficiency".

Really its all fairly fussy because you can just use the giant foundling background. Its just a background, and we can already substitute the skills and features in them by RAW.
    As you yourself mention though, all you need is the background and literally any race or class can qualify. So the notion that they intended for the feature to be more exclusive/harder to access doesn't really hold water in my view. And the specific language argument goes both ways; they could have just as easily said "proficiency in all martial weapons" if they truly wanted to avoid all ambiguity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)