New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Member-Produced Commercial Content

Welcome to the thread for member-produced commercial content. This is a thread for posting your non-5th edition works that are available through the DMs Guild, Drivethru RPG, and other such on-line retailers. As this is a slight digression from our normal rules regarding advertising, please be aware of the following

1) Please limit this to works you are personally involved in; this is for posters to show off their works, not advertising for your publishing company.
    2) Please only make a single post about a given product. Do not post multiple times regarding the same product, as this will be considered advertising.
    3) Please observe the no double-posting rule. If you have several works, post them together, or edit your post in the meantime.

Advertising, including posting here outside of these guidelines, is still subject to potential banning. If you have a question regarding a specific work, it is probably not ok, but ask a mod beforehand (and include a link).

(As an aside: If there is sufficient demand for a d20/3.x specific thread, we'll post one in that subforum. Until then, post anything not 5th edition D&D in here)
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-04-22 at 07:26 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Member-Produced Commercial Content

(The Mod Wonder: Here's an example of an appropriate post)

About 10 years ago, I contributed to an anthology of short stories for Apocalypse Prevention Inc by 3rd Eye Games. My short story is about a werewolf whose friend forgets it's a full moon when he wants to go out, and the agents who have to deal with it.

API Anthology

The Mod Wonder: It is RPG-related. I was personally involved in its creation. It is for sale, but it is available on-line. It is a link to an RPG-specific seller. You'll note, the same link is in my sig, but my sig otherwise complies with the rules, with no excessive images. If this were a 5e product, the post would be moved to the 5e thread, and the poster might be warned or infracted for advertising, if they'd also posted there.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2019-02-20 at 01:16 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Some of you may know that I have my own homebrew rules-light system. I've been developing it on and off for years; you may have seen me posting about it here before. Well... after much work and testing and revising and polishing, I'm pleased to announce the official release of the Simple Tabletop Roleplaying System, STaRS. The full version is available for $15; the lite version, containing the basic rules only, is pay-what-you-want.

STaRS is a universal, rules-light system, capable of handling everything from gritty noir to high-flying superheros. It walks the thin line between running on a book full of rules and running on GM fiat, remaining easy to understand without ever leaving you unsure about what you can do. Friendly towards new and experienced role-players alike, STaRS is great for one-shots and long campaigns alike.

Less time with your nose in a book. More time with dice in your hand. That's the promise and the power of STaRS.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2019-03-06 at 03:40 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I make 3D printed dice, which you can find on my Shapeways shop. I've got a lot of designs, but several of them are especially relevant for D&D: I have one group that are shaped like weapons, with the appropriate number of sides for each (so you can, for instance, roll a battleaxe or morningstar-shaped d8 or a dagger-shaped d4), and another group for spell damage, in the die types often used for those elements (such as a d4 shaped like a Magic Missile or d6s and d8s shaped like lightning bolts and snowflakes).

I also have an entire set of 4-6-8-10-12-20 shaped like gazebos, for all of you old-timers out there.

(Note: Shapeways recently increased their prices for colored plastic, which is the default for many of my dice. You can save some money by choosing the white version instead, and coloring it yourself. I can vouch that permanent marker works on them.)
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

My talented wife does RPG art - character portraits, scenery, and so on - and has a Patreon page, where you can subscribe and benefit from full resolution versions of her work.

https://www.patreon.com/helenmclaughlinart/

Each month, she's going to produce pieces. Subscribes will get access to high res versions of the art, to use pretty much as you like, and to steer her work towards their favourite subjects.

6. - Top - End - #6

HP Lovecraft's Prepatory Academy -- By Jeff Zitomer, Savage Worlds Conversion (Deluxe Edition) by Mark Hall

I've off-the-cuff described it as "Harry Potter inspired by the Mythos rather than Narnia". Want to play as someone with an ancient bloodline of a Deep One? Or maybe a witch? Or a mad scientist? Or someone who travels into the dreams of others? Or someone who is just ... normal?
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2019-07-18 at 04:42 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    HP Lovecraft's Prepatory Academy -- By Jeff Zitomer, Savage Worlds Conversion (Deluxe Edition) by Mark Hall

I've off-the-cuff described it as "Harry Potter inspired by the Mythos rather than Narnia". Want to play as someone with an ancient bloodline of a Deep One? Or maybe a witch? Or a mad scientist? Or someone who travels into the dreams of others? Or someone who is just ... normal?
    As a note, your link goes to the "affiliate program" page, not sure if that was intentional.

(Yes, this means I want to read more it. )
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    As a note, your link goes to the "affiliate program" page, not sure if that was intentional.

(Yes, this means I want to read more it. )

Updated. Thanks.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2019-07-18 at 04:43 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey all!

Uh, here's a handful of things I've been involved in in recent months:

Eldritch Care Unit is a small RPG I self-published (also available on itch.io). The basic idea is that you play doctors, nurses, ritualists, or other staff members of a hidden supernatural wing of a hospital, taking care of preternatural patients or just mundane patients that the supernatural side of things has infected somehow.

The Short Games Digest, which is a collection of small games by various TTRPG writers, both new and old, varying from OSR parodies to 1950's scifi and various others! I wrote a game about wizards and other prepared casters that focuses more around spell preparation than on actual encounters.

I've also done a bunch of work on the Storyteller's Vault (mostly Chronicles of Darkness, but a little World of Darkness).

And I also have a Patreon if you wanna see previews of other stuff I'm working on, or bonus content for any of the above.

10. - Top - End - #10

Zombie

I wrote a game called "The Curse of the House of Rookwood". It's about dark supernatural powers, Gothic horror, and family drama. We just launched a kickstarter to pay for printing, art, and graphic design, but you can download the art-free PDF from the itch.io link in the kickstarter campaign description. It's already 99% finished and we're just waiting on a few last art pieces.

Basically, you play members of a cursed dysfunctional family. Their curse gives them supernatural powers, but drawing on their power also leads to their doom. On top of that, they have a lot of family drama (sibling rivalry, dark secret, marital infidelity, need for approval from a distant parent, etc.) that works in a kind of feedback loop with their curse: the dark supernatural powers are recharged by picking at the family scabs, dragging skeletons out of the closet, or otherwise blowing up at each other.

You could think of it as "The power and stressful family relationships of the Incredibles mixed with the creepy Gothic style of the Addams family" or "Percy and Mary Shelley fight monsters while trying to go through marriage counseling and/or a messy divorce". Or maybe think of the love triangles and rivalries and team infighting of the X-men, but everybody has dark Gothic themed powers like summoning ravens or shadow tentacles or becoming a gargoyle.

It works well for one-shots but it is really made for legacy play. If you play a campaign, you can advance the calendar after a story arc and play a later generation of the family. The successes and failures of one generation can leave following generations in a stronger or weaker position. The family fortunes wax and wane through the centuries based on how you play.

11. - Top - End - #11

Two Tales of Tellene is two short tales of Odd Jill, set in the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting from Kenzerco.
    The Cranky Gamer

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Hey Playground.

I'm currently involved with Shadows of Esteren, which is in the final week of its 8 Year Anniversary Kickstarter to make an artbook of all its gorgeous, evocative art as well as reprinting some of the books that have long since gone out of print. Its one of the most beautiful TTRPGs out there, and its system is easy to pick up, both for veterans of TTRPGs and newcomers to the genre. Its made by Studio Agate, which is the same company that made the Fateforge setting, which you can see talked about in the 5e commercial content thread.
    Just finding my roots again.

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm publishing content for Necrotic Gnome's Old School Essentials, an OSR ruleset based on B/X. I'm publishing two types of content that can be easily adapted to virtually any other OSR-style game:

The first are supplements geared mostly towards running a hexcrawl/sandbox.
    Domain Rules (PWYW). Rules for higher level domain-style play, with a focus on clearing wilderness, founding a domain, building settlements, etc.
    Hexcrawl Basics (PWYW). Rules for creating and running hexcrawl-style games, with a focus on exploring the wilderness.
    Random Weather Generation. Supplement providing rules for randomly generating weather, including unusual events.
    A Guide to Thieves' Guilds. Rules for creating and running thieves guilds, either as a higher-level player activity or abstracted generation for Referees to create guilds.

The other line of supplements is a series of 6-mile hexes populated with features and encounters. The hexes are released individually, but are part of larger clusters of 7, and can be used as either a mini-sandbox setting or mined for encounters to use as part of a larger campaign. Each hex has optional rules designed to add options to OSR games, as well.

The first hex in the series, the Lake of Abominations, is PWYW.

6.24.20 A new hex is up. 14.22 -- the Keep of the Troglodytes -- features an abandoned mine shaft inhabited by a vengeful ghost, a lonely manticore, and the eponymous Keep, a long-abandoned fortress currently inhabited by a vicious band of troglodytes. Includes two race as class troglodyte options, several new spells, and information on troglodyte demographics.

6.25.20 The Kickstarter for an upcoming supplement, Filling in the Blanks, is now live. It is a guide for populating maps with features and lairs for fantasy role-playing campaigns.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...pulating-hexes

7.6.20 Hex 14.21 -- the Gateway to the Pallid Fields -- is now live on Drivethru. This hex is another in the Basilisk Hills cluster, and also ties in with the Pallid Fields mini-hexcrawl in Faery. It features the eponymous gateway to Faery, a feral damselfly automaton, and a mad hermit, among other features. It also has rules for high-level ritual spells, spell research and mishaps, in addition to founding and running clerical temples.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-Pallid-Fields

Additionally, the Filling in the Blanks Kickstarter is only a few dollars away from 2,000.00, which will unlock another free hex for all Kickstarter backers.

7.18.20 I've uploaded a map packet containing the .hxm map files for all of the hexes in the Basilisk Hills cluster (15.21, 14.21, and 14.22 have been released so far) to give customers the ability to edit the hexes as needed for their own uses. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...lls-Map-Packet

7.20.20 Hex 14.23 -- The Basilisk Knights, is live on Drivethru. It features the human settlement of Liwil, home to the Basilisk Knights, a half-dryad race as class and an alternate knight class, both for OSE, as well as rules for animal companions and how to level them up in OSE. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...silisk-Knights.

Additionally, the Filling in the Blanks Kickstarter has four days left and is closing in on 5,000.00 and a final hex stretch goal: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...pulating-hexes
    Last edited by thirdkingdom; 2020-07-20 at 03:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

D&D 4e COMBAT APP, SEEKING TESTERS!

I am a hobby programmer with a keen interest in D&D. I have been developing an app to help D&D combats flow smoothly. The app is finally ready to undergo some public scrutiny in the form of a public beta test. I am looking for people who are interested in this app and who would be prepared to use it as a test with the rest of their party. I am able to take on up to 10 parties for this round of testing. App and beta details are below.

App Summary:
    The app is intended to be used to help keep track of parties’ and monsters’ vitals during combat. Each user only has to manage their own creature’s vitals. To this end, as many members of the party as possible should be using it. Creature vitals are shared between the members of the party, including the DM. Critical information is restricted on enemy devices, instead being substituted with information they are allowed to know. E.g. The status of 49/100 hp replaced with “Bloodied”. Initiative, defences, healing surges and conditions are also tracked.

Personally, I play a Cleric in my party. I find it can be frustrating when other players are not paying attention on my turn, not hearing or answering my inquiries about who needs healing. For other players, it can be helpful to know who needs some emergency protection or who can tank on the front line a little longer.

App Usage:
    Without any in app purchases, a user is able to manage and view their own creatures. If a user has the "Campaign" in-app purchase, they are given a room where users can share their creatures’ vitals. They are able to control which users can view and use this room by asking their party members to message them their user id's and pasting them into the campaign management menu. If a user has been granted access to a campaign, they are able to make use of the room, even if they do not have the in-app purchase. This means that only one user needs the purchase for everyone else in the party to use it for free if they are given access by the room 's owner.

Testing Information:
    The app is designed for the 4th edition (4e) of Dungeons and Dragons. That being said, it would probably work well for Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition (5e) if that's what you use, you’d just have to keep in mind that some of the features won’t fit perfectly. The app requires a Google (Google, YouTube or Android play store), Apple (iTunes, Apple app store) or Microsoft (Outlook, Office or Xbox) sign in to function. The app is designed to be intuitive to use if you are already a confident smart phone user. It will not cost you any money, when you contact me I will be able to provide you with codes that give you the app and the in-app purchases for free. If you have any questions please contact me. There is a questionnaire and bug reporting survey in the app, they are short to complete and your feedback is really appreciated.

The app is limited to running on iOS and Android devices. This means that party members using devices that run other operating systems, such as Windows mobiles and Mac or Windows laptops, will not be able to join in.

Applying for the Beta:
    If you would like to have access to the beta please send me a pm or an email to “[email protected]”. I will need to know whether each person in your party is an iOS or Android user and the email address for their app store account. Please include yourself in that list. This is so I can register each of them as testers on the correct stores. After that they will receive an email from Apple or Google with instructions on how to install the beta version of the app. Apple allows testers to use the app and make purchases in the app for free. Google still requires that users spend money to make these purchases, however I will provide Android users with a code so that they can gain access to the features without having to spend any of their own money.

I need YOU:
    One of the hardest aspects of app development is attracting beta participants. If you are unsure about being a tester I would ask that you give it a go! Anybody and everybody makes a good beta tester. The process is not onerous. Your participation would really make a world of difference to me.

I hope you enjoy using the app and making it ready for full release. My next project will be to make a 5e compatible version.

Last edited by Phedg1; 2020-07-06 at 12:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

I am working on a new role-playing game called Senjitsu Jidai. It's a world of multiple realities colliding in warring states era Japan. I'm developing it in FATE, so samurai can face off against cyborgs, cat-people, and mecha, all on equal footing. I'm planning to release a demo adventure for Free RPG Day on July 28th, and I have a development blog at senjitsujidai.wordpress.com. I hope you'll come check it out and subscribe for new updates.

I've released a preview of the ESP skill and powers here: https://senjitsujidai.wordpress.com/...iew-esp-skill/

The Unquiet Earth is an adventure where samurai, ninja, ESPers, witches, cyborgs, and monks come together to save a town from an earthquake, a tsunami, and a kaiju attack. The Oda have been building a fleet in Yokkaichi to support their siege of Osaka, and the ship yards have been releasing pollution into the air and water of Ise Bay. The shrine guardians have been warning the authorities that the pollution is upsetting the balance of man and nature, and that the kami are increasingly displeased. So far the Oda have ignored all warnings. Now the earth is beginning to shake...

You can find the adventure here: https://senjitsujidai.wordpress.com/...-rpg-day-2020/
    Last edited by Horatio@Bridge; 2020-07-27 at 07:47 PM.
    Developer for the Sengai Jidai role-playing game, powered by FATE. Check out the latest progress at the development blog.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I made a free Android app, Game Master Journal, that helps keep track of your NPCs, Cities, and Loot! I hope some of you find it useful!

So for a while, I had been wanting a way to consolidate all the different things I wanted to keep track of when running my D&D games. None of the available notebooks and journals out there did exactly what I wanted, and I had been wanting to learn mobile development for a while, so I took it upon myself to create the tool that I wanted to use, and it's finally finished and available for whoever wants to use it.

The main things the Game Master Journal helps trackis NPCs, cities, and loot. For NPCs, you can add races, descriptions, plothooks, a reference image, and you can also upload a voice file, in case you use accents or speech patterns you want to remember months down the line when that NPC finally makes a return appearance. In addition, you can tie an NPC to a specific city, in order to filter out only the NPCs in certain cities.

For the loot, you can add prices, rarities, descriptions, and images. I've been using this page to basically store an entire list of different stuff to stock the various magic shops in my world.

For cities, you can add custom environments, economies, sizes, and additional notes. You can add travel times between different cities so you know how long your players will spend in transit, and you can also add individual locations/buildings/points of interest within each city.

All of this is offered for free on the Google Play store, and I also added support for French, Spanish, German, Russian, and Japanese languages. It's universal, so it should work with any TTRPG that you use. I hope some of you find good use for it!

Check out the app here!

17. - Top - End - #17

Zombie

I recently produced a minimalist fantasy role-playing game called "3 BONES" (available here) for those times when you want to play D&D but you don't want to spend a whole session with a stack of books full of options to make your character. If you have 3d6 and a small piece of paper, such as the back of a business card, you can be ready to play in a few minutes. If you want to be a "drunken dwarf who hunts trolls" or a "delicately-crafted warforged who sings the ancient bladesong of the elves" or a "holy knight who fights with a mace in each hand", then you can do that. In fact, if you write one of those descriptions on your character sheet, you're about halfway through character generation. There's even a one-page adventure to get you started so the GM doesn't even have to plan anything for the first session.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

18. - Top - End - #18

Zombie

My latest book is called Ash Island. It's personal survival horror on a fog-shrouded island inspired by Silent Hill, Shutter Island, and Twin Peaks. It's intended for one-shots and can be played in a couple of hours. It's easily playable over a regular video call too, if you want to get your game group together remotely for a Halloween horror game. It's available here.

19. - Top - End - #19

Zombie

Do you want to be an owlbear? Yeah, you do. My game "Owlbear" is going to be free for the rest of this year and you can get it here. You randomly roll a type of owl and a type of bear and make an owlbear that has to defend a wizard's lair against a raid by a group of adventurers. It's quick and fun and good for pick up games or one shots on short notice.

If you are more interested in D&D and similar games, but you find hit points to be kind of bland in a "I'm fine, I'm fine, Slim chance of being dramatically hurt but still conscious, I'm dead or dying" kind of way, you might be interested in my supplement "0 hp" which lets you add more dramatic death scenes and injuries to your game. It's discounted for a week.
    Last edited by Xuc Xac; 2021-03-29 at 05:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Hey I'm not really good at this whole advertising thing but here goes.

I've made a product! Basically it was my take on a old school rules light classless rpg like knave. The pdf is not fancy or anything but i hope my rules are good.

It's pay what you want so there's that.

It's meant for people experienced in osr games.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/370377

I think i linked it the right way. Thanks for your time.

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Hey not a table top rpg but I worked with my friends to put together this easy to learn card based game on Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...yfun/crimewave check it out if you're interested!

22. - Top - End - #22

Hello! This is a rules light but flexible rpg in the fkr style. Both editions are free.

https://ameraaaaaa.itch.io/amershut
    Just a note i got adhd and autism.

23. - Top - End - #23

Hi. I've written a bunch of stuff, but this https://tibbiusgames.itch.io/2-bit might be interesting from a design standpoint. It leverages work by a couple other interesting people (I link to their predecessor version from the landing page), but is hacked enough to be its own thing. Comprises four one-page rules sheets, each of which implies a different setting.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

24. - Top - End - #24

Zombie

I've just released a game in the fine Alliterations & Ampersands tradition called "Witches & War Rigs". It's like D&D if it had technology based on 1914 instead of 1419.

You can be a warlock who rides a motorcycle and talks to a skull that tells you how to do magic. You can be a warrior who wears a big diesel-powered suit of armor that looks like the Mark I Iron Man suit crossed with a tractor and shoot dragons with a machine gun.

25. - Top - End - #25

After writing thirty + shorter games (and one quite long one, to be released later this year), I am about to release in MARCH 2022 a 72-page A5 zine: https://tibbiusgames.itch.io/litavag.

Last edited by Tibbius; 2022-03-06 at 08:14 PM.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Lightbulb Lore rpg

I've finally released LORE RPG that I've been working on and off for the past 6 years.

It started as a generic RPG but then I created a setting for it in 2020 and started playtesting it in 2020-2022.

Some info about the game:
    The game is my attempt of bridging the gap between old-school RPGs and a more newer, cinematic type of play. The L in LORE stands for 'Lethal' as the combat will brutally punish you for stupid moves. In contrast, however, it will also reward you for smart moves (you have to figure out the proper tactic for your build, or you will die). There's very little HP bloating (about 20-40 HP difference between a level 1 and a level 20) and the game has a unique system of critical hits and misses. It definitely gets rid of the new age idea of: "your character is special" - you can't just stand in the line of fire and hope to survive (unless you made a tank build specifically for that) as the game relies more on possessing superior abilities and healing rather than making characters into HP sponges.

The magic system is familiar, but much more modular and customizable (you can eventually manipulate every aspect of the magic you cast, from its range to its radius). The game has a system that combines classic class-like systems with a more modular approach of unlocking and buying points for tiers (think D&D meets VtM in terms of classes). Each race also has two unique abilities and each race synergizes with the class they pick. There's also racial penalties that are omitted from so many games today.

The setting is split into three distinct timelines:
    • A high-fantasy, high-medieval setting (heavily influenced by Planescape but in a more grounded setting with some steampunk elements).
    • A dystopian, post-apocalyptic modern setting (think Fallout meets Shadowrun).
    • A sci-fi, space-opera setting (influenced by stuff like Star Trek, Firefly, Call of Chtulu,...)

Oh, and of course, the game isn't politically influenced in any way (can't believe I have to state that nowadays).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Subject Alpha - a novel based (loosely) on our contemporary sci-fi adventures.
    My wife wrote her first proper novel over the last couple of years, following on from the RPG adventures we've had together with our friends - this is it! I had to twist her arm (not literally of course!) to get her to publish it, because she's really shy.

It's an exciting fast-paced thriller set in contemporary Britain, and plays around with the usual tropes of superpowers, evil scientists, and underdog heroes ... but without getting clichéd about it.

You can buy the Kindle edition for only 99p from Amazon (so that's just a little more than 1 US dollar, or 1 Euro, or 100 Yen)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I worked on a 5E superhero game with hit points. Might work for a fantasy monster character class campaign (which requires a near superhero system level of variety in creation).

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Heroes--Heels
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...els-QuickStart
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ced-QuickStart

Quick starts are free so have some fun with it if you feel inclined.

29. - Top - End - #29

New on DriveThruRPG for SavageWorlds: Mutant Dawn! Play a mutant animal in the modern world! Fifteen different animals and a complete life-path system.

Spoiler: Cover image
    Show
    The Cranky Gamer

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

A Monster’s Tail is a Powered by the Apocalypse game that takes inspiration from the classics of the Monster Catcher genre of video games and media - Pokémon, Digimon, Jade Cocoon, Dragon Warrior Monster, and more currently live on Kickstarter!

So what's A Monster's Tail all about?

A Monster’s Tail sets you and your fellow Players on the journey of a lifetime, traveling around a vast Region to uncover secrets and truths not just about the world around you but also yourself. More than just traveling around the world, battling Genmon, and uncovering hidden treasures, A Monster’s Tail is a game about Coming of Age. The Player Characters leave the comfort of their homes to travel the Region, hiking through the wilderness and making new friends and enemies with only their wits and Companions at their back. Together you will ask yourselves what it is you want at the end of this journey, who you wish to be, and what you want to accomplish. While there is no fixed goal in A Monster’s Tail, you are expected to return home a different person than when they left.

A Monster's Tail is about the Exploration of Nature and the place of both humans and Genmon within it. What does it mean for humans and Genmon to live side-by-side? How is the fate of the natural world intertwined with that of the built environment? Regardless of where you are - a bustling metropolis far from the reaches of the forest and sea? A frigid tundra isolated from the warmth of civilization? - nature thrives! Exploring how we coexist, how humans and Genmon impact each other's world, is central to A Monster's Tail.

A Monster's Tail is about Competing and Conflicting Dreams. Do you think you're the only ones with hopes and dreams? The Genmon world is full of other Trainers, both young and old, and each has their own ambitions, goals, and even schemes. Some are working for the benefit of the Genmon world as a whole while others seek only to benefit themselves. No matter how righteous or repugnant these dreams may be, A Monster's Tail places all Trainers on a collision course, setting them up to test their dreams against the hopes and desires of others. Will your convictions hold strong enough to carry you to triumph? Or will you fall by the wayside, crushed by the weight of the world? Perhaps you will learn to see things differently, and change your path to suit your new perspective. Keep your Genmon and your Companions by your side, and there's no limit to what you might achieve!

Alright, but How do You Play?

Common of Powered by the Apocalypse games (inspired by Apocalypse World, created by Vincent and Meguey Baker), players in A Monster's Tail interact with the game via Moves, which are prompted by specific narrative triggers and use dice rolls to resolve the situations that arise. Be it climbing a daunting mountain, challenging another Trainer to a Duel, or simply trying to Convince someone to give you what you want, the GM will offer a Move for their players to make, the player rolls two d6 dice, and the narrative changes to reflect outcome of the roll.

What about the Monsters?

Monsters in A Monster's Tail, or Genmon as we call them, are front and center in the game. Players take on the role of Trainers, creating teams of various Genmon and traveling their Region, fighting and forming friendships with other Trainers and Genmon! The core book comes with all the rules you need to not only use the provided Genmon, but to create your own. The system is lightweight, allowing GMs to generate Genmon during play rather than needing to stat them out far in advance.

Genmon have Types, broad categories that they fall into with strengths and weaknesses unique to them. The core rules are designed to allow GMs to create their own Types from whatever they wish, or even port existing media into A Monster's Tail. For GMs who want to do less of the heavy lifting, the core rules also present over 60 Genmon with our proprietary Types.
    The Types of Hayle, the provided Region in A Monster's Tail

Complications and Consequences

A Monster's Tail diverges from other Powered by the Apocalypse games by recontextualizing the role of the GM. Instead of making Moves (whether Hard or Soft) the GM of A Monster's Tail provides Complications or Consequences within the fiction of the game. Complications are any narrative prompt that the Players of A Monster's Tail can act on while Consequences are the immediate results of rolls or choices the Players make. Complications and Consequences are not merely a binary state. Consequences can be framed in less immediate terms which turns them into Complications and Complications can be made more immediate, thus turning them into Consequences. Many Moves also provide these Complications which allow the Players a high level of input on how the story is shaped.

Perhaps the most important of these Move Complications can be found in the Natures of Genmon, mini-Playbooks (or "classes") that help build your Genmon partners' personalities. A Genmon might be Spicy or Easygoing, both of these Natures providing Moves that the Genmon themselves can make in the fiction as well as various Complications to add variety to the sorts of hijinks the Players might encounter.

You've Been Patient, Now Some Genmon!

In Closing

We at Five Points Games went into creating A Monster's Tail with three key missions. The first was to create a Powered by the Apocalypse game that is approachable to people new to these sorts of games and also to appeal to long-term players of the broad and expansive catalog of other Powered by the Apocalypse games. The second was to take what we felt were the best and most innovative evolutions of the Powered by the Apocalypse design space and fit them onto a single chassis that works for GMs both new and old alike. Finally our third mission was to add to the conversation created by other Monster Catcher TTRPGs, not merely just make another in the chorus of voices already in the hobby. We've done this by prioritizing the narrative drama found in our favorite media properties such as the Pokémon and Digimon manga and anime, as well as games like Azure Dreams, and supporting narrative play with simple and elegant rules rather than emulating the complexities of video games as other Monster Catcher TTRPGs have done.

Our efforts are exemplified by our system of Complications and Consequences, discussed above. This element of A Monster's Tail is the bedrock on which the entire system is designed. With one simple mechanic, Players and the GM create engaging drama that takes the game off the railroad tracks. As one of the key Principles, the guide rails for GMs, enumerates:

Create Interesting Dilemmas, not Interesting Plots

The best way to build a session is not to build one at all. That isn’t to say that planning and prep aren’t important, they most certainly are, but if there’s a single golden rule in Tabletop Gaming it’s that plans fail when players get involved. Instead of making elaborate plans and plots, use the Principles and Agendas to build a world and this Principle in particular to make problems arise. We’ve talked about how the world should be interesting, and that interesting things should happen, and this is an extension of that. Create events that the Trainers have to respond to, and react to, and go off their reactions. Don’t have a preconceived notion of what’s at the end of the trail. The game is all about the journey, and that goes for the GM as well. Let yourself be guided by the Trainers, see where their actions lead you and go from there.
    Are you a player wanting to tell amazing stories about catching monsters and finding yourself? A GM looking for a rules-light system that won't take hours of prep before your sessions? A fellow designer looking for new rules ideas to make your game the next hit? No matter what your journey is, you can go there with A Monster's Tail.

For other games by Five Points Games, check out their itch.io store.
    Last edited by Razade; 2024-02-25 at 07:38 PM.