New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

I liked the new chapter, but I definitely feel like Drake here is a Plotline F moment. This arc is huge, we didn't necessarily need or want another factor of it.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I liked the new chapter, but I definitely feel like Drake here is a Plotline F moment. This arc is huge, we didn't necessarily need or want another factor of it.
    It was kind of inevitable though, we've had the Marines talking about a new weapon and we already knew Drake was an undercover agent.

The Marines are going to be sticking their oar into this conflict before the end, probably in a way that sets the stakes for the big final saga.

3. - Top - End - #933

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    It was kind of inevitable though, we've had the Marines talking about a new weapon and we already knew Drake was an undercover agent.

The Marines are going to be sticking their oar into this conflict before the end, probably in a way that sets the stakes for the big final saga.
    My theory is, this is going to bog down into a stalemate at best against kaido, a close loss at worst, BUT, when everything is winding down and everyone is exhausted, here comes the marines to try and mop up. Everyone has to retreat at this point, the straw hats, the yonko, everyone, because even though kaido has won, he and his forces are way too beaten down to handle a new contender like this. That leaves kaido at loose ends making his escape and wanting revenge on straw hat, opens the door for another ace scenario if a member of luffys crew gets grabbed by the marines and setup to lure him into another marineford method of crushing the up and comer. And of course more people joining into the fight for revenge against everyone. It will be like the battle of seven armies, only NOBODY is teaming up outside their faction. The yonko want to kill luffy, but they also want to destroy the marines, the straw hats and the grand fleet want their crew member back and will fight their way through anything in their path, and the marines want to kill or capture everyone. It will be a glorious mess.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #934
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Drake was in this from the start (arguably even since before the start as he entered Kaido's domain before the timeskip) and was shown to be an undercover agent, and it fits well into the overall scope of the arc with massive involvement from tons of sides including two Emperors, two countries, the former top White beard commander and no fewer than 8 of the 11 Supernovas participating (and now, 6 on the side against Kaido and 2 with him). This is not another factor, just the natural development of a factor that was already in play.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #935

Beholder

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, when we knew Drake was an undercover marine, the chance that he would betray Kaido at some point became inevitable. Low chance that he wouldn't fight when his cover was blown. But then I treat it less as another factor but more as +1 named fighter on the Samurai side and -1 on Kaido's side.

What I find more interesting is what Fukurokuju is planning, considering that he was walking away in battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #936

I'm well aware of all that. I'm just saying it's not as compelling to me as the rest of what's going on.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: New chapter
    Show
    Nami and Usopp against the Tobi Roppo siblings is easily the most interesting matchup this chapter. Two of the weak trio against two ancient zoan users, physical powerhouses, in a top Yonkou group that includes X Drake.

Oda seems to be rushing the story such that the most shocking/hype moments will be in Chapter 999 and/or Chapter 1000. I thought Inuarashi and Nekomamushi against Jack would at least have some panels dedicated to it due to how much this revenge angle had been building up since as early as Zou arc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Spoiler: New chapter
    Show
    Nami and Usopp against the Tobi Roppo siblings is easily the most interesting matchup this chapter. Two of the weak trio against two ancient zoan users, physical powerhouses, in a top Yonkou group that includes X Drake.

Oda seems to be rushing the story such that the most shocking/hype moments will be in Chapter 999 and/or Chapter 1000. I thought Inuarashi and Nekomamushi against Jack would at least have some panels dedicated to it due to how much this revenge angle had been building up since as early as Zou arc.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For what it's worth, it DId get some panels dedicated to it. Cat Viper and Dogstorm said that if they had been in proper fighting shape Jack would have gotten his ass beat half to death in a second. They're now in proper fighting shape. Jack gets as much screentime as he really needed.

That said, the idea that Oda is rushing a little bit to have chapter 1000 be something special makes a lot of sense.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

This is still the middle part of the arc. There are five acts in a typical Kabuki play with the second, third and fourth being the ramp up of the action. A tragedy occurs often in the third act...which is what we're in now. I don't feel like we're speeding things up for Chapter 1000, more that Jack getting his butt whooped here isn't the point of what's being conveyed. There's time for Jack and King and Queen to be big threats for the Strawhats and their allies, which are the focus. The Red Scabbards were never intended to beat Kaido and showing Cat and Dog beat Jack off-screen is just to show how strong they are, not to avenge their lands. It wouldn't be satisfying if they just curbstomped him on panel either. The moon will eventually go, that's when the real fight stars and that's the set up. We're in the very start of this fight, a fight that "will make Marineford look like nothing".

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I just re read the story up until the Fishmen arch and damn does the pacing start going to hell during marineford. I still enjoy that the straw hats win by less and less each time in the various arcs building up to the sabody arc, it's also fun to see Sanjis little actions as they happen. It's actually nice how little flash back they usually get for the effect they have.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trivia: Rereading the Wano arc I'm noticing the references to ukiyo-e in Oda's artwork, but the biggest one is actually a plot point (that I'll spoiler just in case anyone not caught up).

Oden's execution and rescue of his subordinates deliberately resemble the fate of Goemon Ishikawa, and specifically Toyokuni's depicition of the folk hero's execution in hot oil as he holds his son over his head.
    Nothing world shaking, but I enjoy the mangaka's referential drops.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: Chapter 992
    Show
    Having the 9 red scabbards be the focus of this chapter is a welcome surprise, and we actually see each one do something cool. Especially Raizo. Cooking Kaido like a colossal bacon-wrapped hotdog is easily the best part of this chapter.

Did Viz/Shueisha release the WSJ cover page somewhere? Didn't see it in Mangaplus but apparently Yamato is rocking the Senku hair color scheme.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

13. - Top - End - #943

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Spoiler: Chapter 992
    Show
    Having the 9 red scabbards be the focus of this chapter is a welcome surprise, and we actually see each one do something cool. Especially Raizo. Cooking Kaido like a colossal bacon-wrapped hotdog is easily the best part of this chapter.

Did Viz/Shueisha release the WSJ cover page somewhere? Didn't see it in Mangaplus but apparently Yamato is rocking the Senku hair color scheme.
    Are they
    Spoiler
    Show
    actually doing damage? Or is it about as effective as when we got introduced to kaido via him skydiving without a chute?

I will be honest, in my opinion, if luffy manages to land a single clearly effective blow, as in it actually HURTS kaido, that would be good enough for me to show his growth this arc. Also, taking a hit and not getting instantly bodied would be a good thing as well. I just recently got to watch an anime clip of Big Mom "fighting" Queen. When I watched her casually hammer toss a brachiosaur it really drove home just how MASSIVE the gap is between yonko commander and yonko. Like, you would expect kaido to be able to pull off shenanigans like that, but big mom gave the pimp hand to a commander with almost zero effort, no haki, nothing. And thats the level luffy was around when he reached wano, Queen, not Big Mom. So to even close the gap somewhat would be huge. He doesnt have to win, in fact, i think it would be beyond lame if he did straight up win, but yeah, actually injuring kaido somewhat would be right about perfect.

On the other hand, if all these other people who want a piece of kaido get to take their shots first and luffy manages to finish the battle against a greatly weakened kaido with his single telling shot, I could accept that as well. Its the sort of thing that would trigger big news morgan headlines about luffy defeating a yonko while ignoring the fact that he was brought to 1% life before luffy even reached him.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Are they
    Spoiler
    Show
    actually doing damage? Or is it about as effective as when we got introduced to kaido via him skydiving without a chute?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was leaning towards your second take. Scabbards are probably doing piddly damage, but that damage still accumulates and softens Kaido up for the Luffy fight. One post I've seen in YT is that, in analogy, they have done an otherwise impressive 500k points of damage, except it's against Kaido who has something like 5 billion hit points.

I find it somewhat similar to how Law had to weaken Donquixote before the latter got beat by Luffy, and to a lesser degree Nami having to severely wear down Cracker's biscuit solider using rainwater or Katakuri stabbing himself for honor. Going forward, I won't be surprised at all to see lots of asterisk in Luffy's victories. Heck, I expect that the allied Supernovas and the rest of the SH crew will try to get their hands on Kaido; they'll ultimately fail, but they'll still have a hand in closing the gap between Luffy and Kaido.

15. - Top - End - #945

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fully accepting that I'll probably be wrong, but this defeat belongs to the Red Scabbards. They deserve to take down Kaido, and I do think the attacks are hurting him more than it seems.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The attacks are hurting Kaido, yeah.
    And it's very clear that Kaido himself is surprised, although it has been foreshadowed before.
    Not sure if they will take him down, I think that most of the damage is being done due to Kaido's mentality about Oden shaking him (not surprising that the most damaging blow happens right after they start emulating Oden's style).

I'm ok with them defeating Kaido, although I'm not sure they will. There's still Big Mom to be dealt with, too.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Banned

Spoiler: 992
    Show
    I'm also surprised they're actually able to damage him. I expected typical shonen faire where they look strong for a second just to show how strong Kaido really is when he beats them down. I mean, we're still totally getting that, but at least they're actually accomplishing something before it happens, which is more than I expected.

18. - Top - End - #948

So I just watched an episode of One Piece. I will spoil it just in case.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Its the episode where the prison warden uses plague rounds while luffy and co are trying to escape. Luffy gives us an epic speech of manly manliness, single handedly taken these broken slaves and igniting their desire to fight again while smoking from the plague damage he is taking. Then when elephant boy tries to launch a cannon round of plague at them, he uses his future sight ability to see it coming and moves quick enough to stop it cold. All while barely functioning due to his plague infection. And once again we see luffy inspiring not just the mooks, but also showing the local big names just why he leaves a trail of loyal people behind him everywhere he goes. Mihawk shed a manly tear at being proven right way back at marineford about exactly why luffy is truly so dangerous. Shanks is feeling his big bet on the future paying off, garp is laughing hysterically and doesnt know why yet.

19. - Top - End - #949

Loved the Big Mom panels in the latest chapter. The dress really works for her.

20. - Top - End - #950

It really does. It's also very in character for Big Mom to just abandon Perospero like that, and for Perspero to be the exact person to fall into a "you caught me monologuing" trap.

21. - Top - End - #951

I'm also glad they didn't waste any pages on her trying to suck lifespan out of a phoenix... although somehow I'm sure the anime version will

22. - Top - End - #952

Mythical fish-fish fruit...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaido is a gyarados...

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

@Braininthejar: Yes.

Though I have to wonder how this is supposed to work with the inability of fruit users to, you know, swim. Or maybe that's precisely it? You become the world's strongest creature, a dragon, by overcoming the sea's curse and learning how to swim....

24. - Top - End - #954

So do we need to bring in Eneru with the pika pika-chu fruit to handle him?

25. - Top - End - #955

New Boruto!

Spoiler
    Show
    Kawaki... genuinely just outsmarts the evil moon rabbit in a legitimately very good scene. **** yeah!

Boruto than reveals he has been Momoshiki for AWHILE and just ****ing takes out Sasuke's Rinnegan in one shot, improving the series substantially.

god I can't wait for kishimoto to ruin this good will the manga has instilled in me.

26. - Top - End - #956

New Boruto!

Spoiler
    Show
    Kawaki... genuinely just outsmarts the evil moon rabbit in a legitimately very good scene. **** yeah!

Boruto than reveals he has been Momoshiki for AWHILE and just ****ing takes out Sasuke's Rinnegan in one shot, improving the series substantially.

god I can't wait for kishimoto to ruin this good will the manga has instilled in me.
    Ummmm what? Wrong topic zodiac.

27. - Top - End - #957

I... coulda swore I clicked the Naruto topic. My bad!

There is a new One piece though. It's alright, has some nice hyping up to chapter 1k!

28. - Top - End - #958

So do we need to bring in Eneru with the pika pika-chu fruit to handle him?
    Sadly the joke doesn't quite work The pika-pika is the light fruit that Kizaru has.

29. - Top - End - #959

So im kinda surprised nobody has been talking about the manga for a bit now. Thought I would bump it up again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Luffy has already accomplished what i wanted him to do this arc. He landed a meaningful blow on kaido and wasnt casually one shot into a coma by him. I mean, he punched kaido in the head, setting his skull on fire and split his lip. Thats WAY more than he managed in his attempted rampage before kaido casually wrecked him. He also did this in front of big mom and, more importantly, kid and law. Imo establishing the pecking order between them. The one thing im not sure about is, kaidos toughness, does he even USE armament haki on himself? If he does, this could get ugly very fast as he raises this group from "Causal noob trash I can stomp flat with ease" to "Painful bugs I might have to put some effort in on beating" Or has he been using it all this time and luffy busted through it?

30. - Top - End - #960
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

So im kinda surprised nobody has been talking about the manga for a bit now. Thought I would bump it up again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Luffy has already accomplished what i wanted him to do this arc. He landed a meaningful blow on kaido and wasnt casually one shot into a coma by him. I mean, he punched kaido in the head, setting his skull on fire and split his lip. Thats WAY more than he managed in his attempted rampage before kaido casually wrecked him. He also did this in front of big mom and, more importantly, kid and law. Imo establishing the pecking order between them. The one thing im not sure about is, kaidos toughness, does he even USE armament haki on himself? If he does, this could get ugly very fast as he raises this group from "Causal noob trash I can stomp flat with ease" to "Painful bugs I might have to put some effort in on beating" Or has he been using it all this time and luffy busted through it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaido and Big Mom are using Armament Haki all of the time. It's just their default natural state. (Remember the assassination plot on Whole Cake where they had a brief instant of shock when Big Mom would drop hers and that was the only time the plan could work?) Luffy's whole time with Hyogoro in prison was to learn how to break through that, and breaking Yamato's cuffs was the first sign that it had worked and he could do it on purpose.

So yes, Luffy just laid a punch on Kaido right through his Armament Haki. He and Big Mom now have to take this fight seriously.