New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Right, we don't disagree and I never claimed anything like that. Unless you're just compounding on what I said, then ya know. Carry on.

She puts the mask on on Page 14. You can see the difference in color between her skin and the mask. We've actually seen her before, in the chapter with Yasuie's backstory and she had a normal face then. Page 3 of Chapter 943. We obviously didn't know who she was but it's pretty clear now. Only one of the Nine Scabbards are fully in the dark on that page. We even saw the Kappa sorta before his face reveal.
    I was just compounding what you said, yes.

I mean, in other shots it looks the same. And also the mask moves as she speaks.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean, in other shots it looks the same. And also the mask moves as she speaks.
    They're taken from face on, it'd be hard to tell. Also...you'll have to point that out. The only time we see the mask's mouth it's the exact same shape.

This is the only page Kiku speaks with the mask on and we can see its face. The mouth is the same both times we can for sure say she's speaking. It's also the same shape as when we know she's not speaking.

Even though we can't see it fully, the mouth shape we do see seems to line up with the overall shape we see in the page above.

And just because I figured out how to post pictures. Here's the one where all the known Scabbards are shown.

Unless that's someone else...and that wouldn't make a lick of sense since that's showing all of the Scabbards together, that's Kiku with just her regular face.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a world government. Any organization outside of that government is considered a pirate group. It's why you can have Pirate empires and nations. Pirate just means. Not part of the recognized authority. It doesn't mean good or bad or anything else.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

4. - Top - End - #364

In that first linked page, it looks like her mouth is closed. Then she speaks and it looks open. Maybe it's just a distance thing.

Also in the younger picture, it may be that they haven't developed their identity as an oni yet? Regardless, you're probably correct, I just felt it looks way too "real" to be a mask.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-10 at 10:21 AM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    There is a world government. Any organization outside of that government is considered a pirate group. It's why you can have Pirate empires and nations. Pirate just means. Not part of the recognized authority. It doesn't mean good or bad or anything else.
    I think it also means "governments formed after the WG was put in place." We have met a few none-participants who weren't considered pirates.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know it's chapters like this that make me look back and realized just how much Luffy's grown as a leader and a speaker, especially post time skip. This speech goes right up there with his speech to his fleet about what being Pirate King really means to him and his refusal to join Momo until Momo asked him for assistance himself.

Also I really like how in the color page, even though he's asleep, Zoro has his hand hooked on Chopper's inner tube to keep him from floating away. It's a subtle way of showing how he cares.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

You know it's chapters like this that make me look back and realized just how much Luffy's grown as a leader and a speaker, especially post time skip. This speech goes right up there with his speech to his fleet about what being Pirate King really means to him and his refusal to join Momo until Momo asked him for assistance himself.
    Thats a good point.
    This is an unexpected sign of character growth.
    Luffy isnt quite the bumbling idiot he were in Alabasta.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post

Also I really like how in the color page, even though he's asleep, Zoro has his hand hooked on Chopper's inner tube to keep him from floating away. It's a subtle way of showing how he cares.

That's actually one of the things i find off about one piece. I don't think luffy is suited to be the king of anything.

If he does become king. He'll place the crown on his head, smile, and then throw it off. (metaphorically speaking...)

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    That's actually one of the things i find off about one piece. I don't think luffy is suited to be the king of anything.

If he does become king. He'll place the crown on his head, smile, and then throw it off. (metaphorically speaking...)
    Its not like king of the pirates is an official title with duties and such, luffy has said it himself, being the king of pirates is about being the strongest and freest person there is. He will reach his goal, then go off sailing for more adventures. Because thats what he does. He isnt going to go all naruto on us and rule over the ocean with his hot wife and kids like some sort of responsible adult, he has no interest in that sort of stuff, he just wants to be the very best, and travel all over the world and have adventures with his crew.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its not like king of the pirates is an official title with duties and such, luffy has said it himself, being the king of pirates is about being the strongest and freest person there is. He will reach his goal, then go off sailing for more adventures. Because thats what he does. He isnt going to go all naruto on us and rule over the ocean with his hot wife and kids like some sort of responsible adult, he has no interest in that sort of stuff, he just wants to be the very best, and travel all over the world and have adventures with his crew.

That's my point. I find it odd that his main motivation has become "pirate king", when really he only cares about the journey. His tagline should be "i'm going to find one piece" not "i'm going to be pirate king"/"one piece is mines".

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

That's my point. I find it odd that his main motivation has become "pirate king", when really he only cares about the journey. His tagline should be "i'm going to find one piece" not "i'm going to be pirate king"/"one piece is mines".
    Thats because, as Traab also hints at, you have missed Luffy's very careful explanation of why he actually wants to be Pirate King.
    He does not in fact only care about the journey. Thats just part of the fun.

But he also want to become Pirate King. Because to him the Pirate King is the person with the most freedom in the entire world.

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Thats because, as Traab also hints at, you have missed Luffy's very careful explanation of why he actually wants to be Pirate King.

But he also want to become Pirate King. Because to him the Pirate King is the person with the most freedom in the entire world.
    Exactly that. See, look at him now. By any measure he is ludicrously strong. Easily in the top 10%-15% of known characters for power and skill, but thats not good enough, there are still people who can beat him like a rented drum, so he isnt free to go where he wants and do what he wants. He needs to be the best, the strongest, the pirate king, because only then can he and his crew truly say, "The seas be ours, and by the powers, where we will we'll roam."

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

Exactly that. See, look at him now. By any measure he is ludicrously strong. Easily in the top 10%-15% of known characters for power and skill, but thats not good enough, there are still people who can beat him like a rented drum, so he isnt free to go where he wants and do what he wants. He needs to be the best, the strongest, the pirate king, because only then can he and his crew truly say, "The seas be ours, and by the powers, where we will we'll roam."

You think they'll stick together once everything is said and done?

I always got the feeling they'd all just drift apart once one piece was found.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

You've missed his main motivation. He declares, often, he will be the king of the pirates. That is his main motivation.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

You think they'll stick together once everything is said and done?

I always got the feeling they'd all just drift apart once one piece was found.
    If I remember correctly at least once the crew has talked about returning to a past location together to revisit friends once they find the One Piece, so them continuing to adventure afterwards is the plan. Whether or not they actually get to do that is another matter. The point is Luffy is definitely planning to flex his Pirate King freedom.
    Last edited by Flying Turtle; 2019-07-21 at 07:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    If I remember correctly at least once the crew has talk about returning to a past location together to revisit friends once they find the One Piece, so them continuing to adventure afterwards is the plan. Whether or not they actually get to do that is another matter. The point is Luffy is definitely planning to flex his Pirate King freedom.
    Brook is going to return to see Laboon, as promised by the Rumba Pirates before they all died.

Also yes, O-Kiko's demon face (A Hannya Demon face...because of course it is) is in fact a mask.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-07-21 at 07:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Brook is going to return to see Laboon, as promised by the Rumba Pirates before they all died.

Also yes, O-Kiko's demon face (A Hannya Demon face...because of course it is) is in fact a mask.
    And luffy also made the promise to come back to laboon so its not like he will give brook a dinghy and say, "Thanks for all the skull jokes! Good luck going back to laboon solo!" I mean, I honestly doubt they will all split up post pirate king status, it would feel kinda strange imo. Most of them have little reason to go back home for more than a visit, though ussop sanji and chopper might want stay once they complete their goals, its hard to say. Ussop has a girl waiting for him back home after all, sanji might be ready to take over the baratie if he achieves his own goal, and chopper may want to take over as doctor for his home. Brook i could see staying on board after bringing laboon along with them (Admit it, a mountain sized whale is a great accompaniment for the pirate kings ship) Zorro likely wouldnt mind as he can sail the oceans being challenged by any swordsman able to find him just as well with his crew as any way else. Franky MIGHT want to go back to ship building, but I feel like he might be happy keeping the thousand sunny in tip top shape and constantly improving its design. Robin wouldnt want to leave her family behind and there are always more archaeological objects to find. Nami is kind of a question mark.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I kind of assume they would leave and come back as the mood strikes them. Ussop will almost certainly go home at some point and knock up kaya, Nami is going to visit her sister, Also his friend's grave, Sanji his dad, Franky his best friend, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #379
    Orc in the Playground

And luffy also made the promise to come back to laboon so its not like he will give brook a dinghy and say, "Thanks for all the skull jokes! Good luck going back to laboon solo!" I mean, I honestly doubt they will all split up post pirate king status, it would feel kinda strange imo. Most of them have little reason to go back home for more than a visit, though ussop sanji and chopper might want stay once they complete their goals, its hard to say. Ussop has a girl waiting for him back home after all, sanji might be ready to take over the baratie if he achieves his own goal, and chopper may want to take over as doctor for his home. Brook i could see staying on board after bringing laboon along with them (Admit it, a mountain sized whale is a great accompaniment for the pirate kings ship) Zorro likely wouldnt mind as he can sail the oceans being challenged by any swordsman able to find him just as well with his crew as any way else. Franky MIGHT want to go back to ship building, but I feel like he might be happy keeping the thousand sunny in tip top shape and constantly improving its design. Robin wouldnt want to leave her family behind and there are always more archaeological objects to find. Nami is kind of a question mark.

It is strange but-

That's kind of how these relationships in one piece have played out so far anyway. Everyone pretty much does their own thing and if they don't see each other again... oh well.

20. - Top - End - #380

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I kind of assume they would leave and come back as the mood strikes them. Ussop will almost certainly go home at some point and knock up kaya, Nami is going to visit her sister, Also his friend's grave, Sanji his dad, Franky his best friend, etc.
    Yeah but all that could easily be done as an epilogue voyage where everyone goes back to the start together to have their im back moments and continue on or stay from there. I just had this mental image of a sort of sad but poignant ending where thats exactly what happens. Step by step they retrace the voyage, as each crew member reaches their home they say goodbye. Jimbe stops at fishman island, franky at water seven, etc etc etc. Until at the very end, here is luffy, guiding the thousand sunny back to his home town alone, with a content smile on his face because he did it. He achieved his goal, and now he is done. He didnt set out to change the world, although he did. He set out to find one piece and become the king of the pirates. He did both. He had grand adventures, wonderful joy, heart breaking sorrow, formed a nakama he will never forget and helped them achieve their goals as well. Now its time to rest. Think of it like crocus or rayliegh. They had their adventure, they sailed the seas and achieved their goals, and now they are happily retired doing whatever they want. Its not the sort of ending you expect from a shonen anime, but I think it could work if done right. And it leaves the option open for a sequel down the line as someone tracks down luffy and gets the challenge of finding one piece for himself if he actually wants the crown.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah but all that could easily be done as an epilogue voyage where everyone goes back to the start together to have their im back moments and continue on or stay from there. I just had this mental image of a sort of sad but poignant ending where thats exactly what happens. Step by step they retrace the voyage, as each crew member reaches their home they say goodbye. Jimbe stops at fishman island, franky at water seven, etc etc etc. Until at the very end, here is luffy, guiding the thousand sunny back to his home town alone, with a content smile on his face because he did it. He achieved his goal, and now he is done. He didnt set out to change the world, although he did. He set out to find one piece and become the king of the pirates. He did both. He had grand adventures, wonderful joy, heart breaking sorrow, formed a nakama he will never forget and helped them achieve their goals as well. Now its time to rest. Think of it like crocus or rayliegh. They had their adventure, they sailed the seas and achieved their goals, and now they are happily retired doing whatever they want. Its not the sort of ending you expect from a shonen anime, but I think it could work if done right. And it leaves the option open for a sequel down the line as someone tracks down luffy and gets the challenge of finding one piece for himself if he actually wants the crown.
    See that just seems out of character for so many of the Straw Hats to me. For many of the Straw Hats the Sunny is more their home than any place on earth. Robin, Brook, and Zoro are probably the biggest three although I think I could make a strong argument for all of them except for Jinbei. Them leaving the Sunny would feel more like them leaving home, not returning home. What's more, resting sounds like the last thing Luffy would do, especially with all the friends he's made and left behind across the world. An epilogue voyage does sound right but not one where the crew members say goodbye one by one, but a victory lap were the crew travels together and reconnects with all the people they've met. Vivi, Laboon, Dorry and Broggy, Paulie, Conis... the list goes on (and hopefully doesn't include Foxy). And at some point in the story, possibly before the epilogue voyage even begins we find out that all the poisons, drugs, and blood dopings Luffy has done have taken their toll and he doesn't have much longer to live. This voyage will be his last big party. And when he finishes his last hurrah and is ready to die he turns himself over to the one rival who was different from all the rest, Coby.

He wasn't a rival for the One Piece but he was a rival none the less. Instead of competing for treasure they competed for dreams. Pirate King and Admiral. Who would reach theirs first. Coby has been Luffy's mirror, his opposite in every way, since the beginning. He was the first person Luffy met on his journey. And he'll be the last one as well. And when Luffy has his execution he'll leave one last mark on the world. And that's when the crew will separate. Not for good, they're still family after all, but they're no longer the Straw Hat Pirates. That journey is over

That's what makes sense to me.

Not that I believe for a second that is all that's going to happen. Oda has had the ending planned out since the beginning and by the time it finally comes he'll have had twenty plus years to refine and even change it however he wants. I fully expected to be blindsided by whatever the end actually is.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Having some thousands of minions would greatly expand Luffy's personal freedom (like he would be able to eat tasty meat whenever he wanted, just snap his fingers and somebody would bring it to him), yet when thousands of pirates kneeled before Luffy pledging their loyalty to him, Luffy dismissed them because he didn't want to shackle them

So basically we hit the definition of "freedom", more specifically the problem of one's "freedom" being limited by other people's "freedom".

Luffy will beat bad guys, but he won't beat good people unless challenged to a duel or something. He has a pretty big conscience, he's even shared his hard earned meat and treasure just to help those weaker than himself.

Luffy may claim to want freedom, yet shackles himself by worrying about others, by seeking justice, not abandoning his friends, yadayada.

Contrast to somebody like Big Momma who is truly free, just doing whatever she fancies. Today you're one of her best friends, tommorrow you're a snack. Even her own children are expendable. But Luffy doesn't want to become like big momma, quite in the contrary. Big Momma's the villain here. Despite all big momma wanting is the same thing Luffy claims he wants. She just wants to be free. Free to do whatever she wants. Which includes the freedom to rampage around on whims and the freedom to eat whoever she wants.

Luffy wants power and attention and a fair world where the strong don't oppress the weak, but he doesn't want actual freedom. He wants a playground where everybody follows nice rules like "don't kill/maim/eat other people", including himself.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-07-21 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

23. - Top - End - #383

This is the best qualification for being a king.

Anyway this chapter ruled. God I love One Piece so much.

ALSO HEY, we got a One Shot drawn up by the guy who does Dr Stone about One Piece! It's just the Zoro vs Mihawk fight. Like, it's literally the same event entirely, just drawn by someone else. Because One Piece is big enough that fellow creators can and will make and publish fan art in the magazine. I love it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-22 at 07:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Having some thousands of minions would greatly expand Luffy's personal freedom (like he would be able to eat tasty meat whenever he wanted, just snap his fingers and somebody would bring it to him), yet when thousands of pirates kneeled before Luffy pledging their loyalty to him, Luffy dismissed them because he didn't want to shackle them

So basically we hit the definition of "freedom", more specifically the problem of one's "freedom" being limited by other people's "freedom".

Luffy will beat bad guys, but he won't beat good people unless challenged to a duel or something. He has a pretty big conscience, he's even shared his hard earned meat and treasure just to help those weaker than himself.

Luffy may claim to want freedom, yet shackles himself by worrying about others, by seeking justice, not abandoning his friends, yadayada.

Contrast to somebody like Big Momma who is truly free, just doing whatever she fancies. Today you're one of her best friends, tommorrow you're a snack. Even her own children are expendable. But Luffy doesn't want to become like big momma, quite in the contrary. Big Momma's the villain here. Despite all big momma wanting is the same thing Luffy claims he wants. She just wants to be free. Free to do whatever she wants. Which includes the freedom to rampage around on whims and the freedom to eat whoever she wants.

Luffy wants power and attention and a fair world where the strong don't oppress the weak, but he doesn't want actual freedom. He wants a playground where everybody follows nice rules like "don't kill/maim/eat other people", including himself.
    Yeah but having thousands of minions means you have to look out for them, take care of them to at least some extent. Big Mom isnt free, she is shackled to her own empire, constantly trying to defend and expand it with alliances and power grabs. The part you might have missed is, luffy doesnt want total freedom though, he wants to be the freest man on the oceans, its not the same thing. You will notice how devoted to his crew he is. If they are in trouble he drops everything to help them. What luffy wants is to be strong enough that nobody can TELL him what to do. Not the warlords, not the yonko, not the world government, nobody. He thinks being pirate king will do that. And considering that to be pirate king he is likely going to have to fight and defeat the strongest people out there, he has a point. Once you reach that plateau only the terminally stupid want to fight you, and the wg wont waste any more manpower than they have once they realize they dont have what it takes to bring him down without destroying themselves in the process.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Bugbear in the Playground

What do you think of the anniversary bonus chapter?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post

I got teary-eyed. If i remember correctly there's more to come, so kind of hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    This is the best qualification for being a king.

You can't be a king if you refuse to lead.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

You can't be a king if you refuse to lead.
    But Luffy is leading by example!
    It was a golden moment as he explained his ideal of freedom, and of doing as you please, to the fleet commanders at Dressrosa.
    And how that meant he could not accept their oaths because he did not want subordinates.

So they pondered that a bit, and then realised it meant they should do as they pleased as well, and could swear to Luffy against his wishes

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

But Luffy is leading by example!
    It was a golden moment as he explained his ideal of freedom, and of doing as you please, to the fleet commanders at Dressrosa.
    And how that meant he could not accept their oaths because he did not want subordinates.

So they pondered that a bit, and then realised it meant they should do as they pleased as well, and could swear to Luffy against his wishes

Yeah but luck has played a large role in that lead not killing everyone around him.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah but having thousands of minions means you have to look out for them, take care of them to at least some extent. Big Mom isnt free, she is shackled to her own empire, constantly trying to defend and expand it with alliances and power grabs. The part you might have missed is, luffy doesnt want total freedom though, he wants to be the freest man on the oceans, its not the same thing. You will notice how devoted to his crew he is. If they are in trouble he drops everything to help them. What luffy wants is to be strong enough that nobody can TELL him what to do. Not the warlords, not the yonko, not the world government, nobody. He thinks being pirate king will do that. And considering that to be pirate king he is likely going to have to fight and defeat the strongest people out there, he has a point. Once you reach that plateau only the terminally stupid want to fight you, and the wg wont waste any more manpower than they have once they realize they dont have what it takes to bring him down without destroying themselves in the process.
    You got it the other way around, it's Big Momma's minions who do their best to satisfy her to keep her from going into rampages and/or eating them. When she wants something, she just needs to demand it and her minions will do their best out of sheer fear that they'll end literally chewed.

Big Momma also clearly doesn't care about alliances because she went "hey how about you marry your son to my daughter-lol nope just jking, I'm actually planning to slaughter you all at the wedding ceremony". If there were any other factions that trusted her before that, they no longer do. And she just doesn't care.

And then Big Momma just dumped her big empire just to go after Luffy on a whim.
    She could've taken the time to properly rally an army, try to negotiate with the big dragon, but instead nope, just grab the fastest ship and her strongest children and charge straight ahead, leaving everything else behind. She's truly unshackled.

Meanwhile assuming that Luffy manages to power train enough to overcome the likes of Big Momma, the WG don't need to waste manpower because they're actually tech researching. Already mass-producing super cyborgs with laser cannons that will keep being upraded. And as seen with White Beard and Jolly Roger, being the biggest baddest pirate is pretty ephemereal, eventually old age and disease will bring you down. But the WG's power will only keep going up thanks to higher tech levels. The age of pirates is fading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I guess this temporarily concludes the Udon part of Act 2? Luffy pretty much took over and gain the prisoner's confidence already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    Boichi's visually distinct style works well with One Piece, especially when his wackier character design meets Oda's early East Blue Saga style. Mihawk for some reason reminds me of Senku, but they clearly look nothing alike. Kuina looks as adorable as Suika.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.