New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

Meanwhile assuming that Luffy manages to power train enough to overcome the likes of Big Momma, the WG don't need to waste manpower because they're actually tech researching. Already mass-producing super cyborgs with laser cannons that will keep being upraded. And as seen with White Beard and Jolly Roger, being the biggest baddest pirate is pretty ephemereal, eventually old age and disease will bring you down. But the WG's power will only keep going up thanks to higher tech levels. The age of pirates is fading.
    ... or the age of cyborg pirates are dawning..

Also, perhaps calling it mass producing is a bit of an overstatement?
    So far we have only seen them deployed in extreme cases.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2019-07-23 at 05:45 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

New Chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not a whole lot to talk about. Of course Luffy is going to get healed, he's got the best doctor in the world on the island with him. It's so nice to see Chopper actually have a use for his doctoring skills post-time skip. I know he did a little in Dressrosa but this is his jam.

Kidd will come back. He's bound to. But no surprises there.

I've not got a whole lot to say regarding Momo, that went as well as could be expected. The Scabbards are forming up which is great. Zoro is going to get his blade back. This mostly felt like a chapter to lean into things more than actually giving any actual progress. Which is fine, at least we aren't going to skip a chapter next week.

The end though. We know Law left in a huff, we know he's upset about the Straw Hats and their disregard for his crew but I think everyone here knows that they're setting up Kidd's lack of trust in his alliance with Law's faith in Luffy. Law's been a favorite of mine for a while so I'm eager to see how he both gets out of this jam and also stays true to his best bro Luffy.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

Law continues to get bullied in every arc he's featured in.

Anyone feel the supernovas' potential has been wasted by most of their accounts being glossed over? The Kidd thing is tragic but it would've been a lot more impactful if we would've gotten to actually know his crew.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

True, but to give each character and plot point the space they deserve, One Piece would need daily chapters.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I wonder if that was an "I'm ready to die with a smile" Law or "Just according to keikaku*" Law?

*keikaku means plan
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    ... or the age of cyborg pirates are dawning..
    You may be more right than you think.

Luffy already scored a cyborg pirate of his own after all.

Sanji's family developing genetically engineered clone armies equipped with high tech gear.

Even big momma herself recognized the potential of mass-produced high-tech soldiers and wanted to get her hands in the above.

Either way you need the proper facilities and trained personnel to develop that stuff, even Frankie had to spend a lot of time learning in the same place before he could pull cyborgness, so again when the factions have their factories and research/training centers, what's exactly left of the "pirate" bit? Will they even bother to sail the seas anymore or just sit in a room cracking and streaming software?

Also, perhaps calling it mass producing is a bit of an overstatement?
    So far we have only seen them deployed in extreme cases.
    In a 2 year period. In a decade or so they'll be all over the place as they improve the building methods and set up more factories and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Colossus in the Playground

This felt like classic One Piece. A lot of good emotion, some cool art, some goofs as we see that actually, poison resistance or not, Luffy's gotten ****ed up by that plague bullet. It's good.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Either way you need the proper facilities and trained personnel to develop that stuff, even Frankie had to spend a lot of time learning in the same place before he could pull cyborgness, so again when the factions have their factories and research/training centers, what's exactly left of the "pirate" bit? Will they even bother to sail the seas anymore or just sit in a room cracking and streaming software?
    Mehh.. a brief transition period before they upload their conciousness to the internet sea, and repeats the whole deal.

In a 2 year period. In a decade or so they'll be all over the place as they improve the building methods and set up more factories and whatnot.
    Seems unlike the WG to have more than a single, ultrasecure location to produce them from.
    Each new production sides increases the risk of a X-Wing scenario.

This felt like classic One Piece. A lot of good emotion, some cool art, some goofs as we see that actually, poison resistance or not, Luffy's gotten ****ed up by that plague bullet. It's good.
    Yeah.. because poison isnt the same thing as diseases..? :P
    Shows how high the stakes are though. Queens inventions are stupidly dangerous.
    Enough to put even Luffy in danger from a stray shot.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

he didn't get hit, he hugged the prisoners.

Luffy almost die from a poison fish last arc, the whole "dance" is becoming sort of a gag.

I wonder if oda has any plans for it later on... maybe it'll all lead to some serious health problems.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

he didn't get hit, he hugged the prisoners.
    Does the message you quoted at any place state that he got hit?
    Does that in any way change that a hit would be dangerous to him?

I think you will find that the answer to both of these retorical questions are a no.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Orc in the Playground

Does the message you quoted at any place state that he got hit?

Yes. I'll breakdown it down so that it'll be real easy to understand.

Queens inventions are stupidly dangerous.
    Enough to put even Luffy in danger

You claimed the bullets to be a danger to luffy-

from a stray shot.

with the condition of it being a "stray shot".

The bases of your theory (the bullets being dangerous to him), is dependent on him actually being able to get hit (your claims of a "stray shot", makes this theory even more confounded) by them in the first place.

Which, to expound upon... there's a magnitude of evidence to safely say, the odds of such an occurrence would be statistically very low.

Combine this improbability with your "dangerous" claims and i was left with two options. Conclude that you made a simple mistake in thinking he got hit or that you made a presumably nonsensical claim (due to you providing little to no details to back it up).

B-but, was i wrong? ...Was it the latter, the nonsensical claim?

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Mehh.. a brief transition period before they upload their conciousness to the internet sea, and repeats the whole deal.
    So they'll be locked inside machines? That's just trading the prison of the body for a virtual prison.

Although... Maybe they're already inside a virtual reality?

What if they're locked inside a cycle, locked inside a simulation inside a simulation inside a simulation for countless iterations?

Seems unlike the WG to have more than a single, ultrasecure location to produce them from.
    Each new production sides increases the risk of a X-Wing scenario.
    As long as the WG isn't retarded enough to sink 99.999999999% of their resources in some giant cumbersome weapon with a glaring weak point, even if the pirates/rebels manage to steal some blueprints they'll still be easily outproduced.

It's still telling that they need to bother to develop super plagues to make bullets of all things dangerous.

In the real world taking a normal bullet is already pretty deadly, but in One Piece loading guns with ordinary bullets may as well just be "set guns to stun".
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    It's not a nonsensical claim to think that Luffy could get shot. He's been shot before. But you're wrong. Khaine meant a stray shot is dangerous to Luffy. Not that he got hit by a stray shot.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. I'll breakdown it down so that it'll be real easy to understand.
    Your breakdown ability is really bad.

You claimed the bullets to be a danger to luffy-
    This part you got right. Except its not a claim. We got direct evidence that its the case.

with the condition of it being a "stray shot".
    This part you got wrong. You cant cut sentences up like that.
    Stray shot is not a condition. Its an example.

The bases of your theory (the bullets being dangerous to him), is dependent on him actually being able to get hit (your claims of a "stray shot", makes this theory even more confounded) by them in the first place.

Which, to expound upon... there's a magnitude of evidence to safely say, the odds of such an occurrence would be statistically very low.

Combine this improbability with your "dangerous" claims and i was left with two options. Conclude that you made a simple mistake in thinking he got hit or that you made a presumably nonsensical claim (due to you providing little to no details to back it up).
    As stated earlier, its not a theory. We have direct evidence of a indirect bullet hit messing Luffy up more severely than a beating from Kaido.
    That means they are a serious danger to him. That the probability of a single shot lands is indeed very low does not change this.
    The chances of an untrained gunman hitting you from 40 meter with a handgun is extremely low. But hands up, anyone here who would not dive for cover if he began shooting at you?
    And as already mentioned, Luffy has been hit by bullets before.

At least you can see you were wrong. Even if your still bad at evaluating sense.

As long as the WG isn't retarded enough to sink 99.999999999% of their resources in some giant cumbersome weapon with a glaring weak point, even if the pirates/rebels manage to steal some blueprints they'll still be easily outproduced.
    Hah.. you can see how dumb that sounds even as you write it, cant you?
    Of course the WG would sink 99% of their respources into making any of the ancient weapons

It's still telling that they need to bother to develop super plagues to make bullets of all things dangerous.

In the real world taking a normal bullet is already pretty deadly, but in One Piece loading guns with ordinary bullets may as well just be "set guns to stun".
    Well.. yeah.. in the early part of the story bullets were still fairly dangerous if they were allowed to hit.
    At least on anyone without main character HP.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well.. yeah.. in the early part of the story bullets were still fairly dangerous if they were allowed to hit.
    Fishman Arc had two of the flashback's main characters dying due to gunshot wound/s. Fisher Tiger is still quite a boss for not dying immediately after how many mook marines shot him, but still kicked the bucket due to blood loss courtesy of gunshots.

Rereading after the official translation, it seems the "snatch" battlecry learned by Momo from Zoro was an abbreviation of whatever the samurais were shouting. Makes sense that he learned it from Koushirou, as the latter is all but confirmed to have descended from Wano folks, likely the samurais from the port region of Hakumai who had the same emblem as his.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah.. you can see how dumb that sounds even as you write it, cant you?
    Of course the WG would sink 99% of their respources into making any of the ancient weapons
    Isn't half the point of the ancient weapons that they already exist but the WG refuses to use them?

In the early parts of the story even mister "top 4 pirates" Shanks would lose a whole arm to random sea monster, while Luffy himself was vulnerable to swords (and in the real world it's bullets that have bigger penetration than swords, that's why people stopped bothering with metal armor once muskets started being mass-produced, which could punch through plate at short range while a sword strike would just bounce away).

But since then more people got shot and just shrugged it off than got dropped for good in One Piece.

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Fishman Arc had two of the flashback's main characters dying due to gunshot wound/s. Fisher Tiger is still quite a boss for not dying immediately after how many mook marines shot him, but still kicked the bucket due to blood loss courtesy of gunshots.
    Fisher Tiger didn't die from blood loss, that's pretty fast and thus would've happened much earlier. Most probably lead poisoning since his body would have a ton or so of excess metal inside or a simple infection since nobody bothered to properly clean his wounds neither give him antibiotics and diseases are confirmed as actually being lethal in One Piece. Also transfusion of an unknown blood type could've killed him just as easily.

So great, guns in One Piece are "dangerous" in the same sense that a grain of sugar is dangerous, drop lots in the target and they'll eventually die. If they don't receive proper medical attention.

Luffy's a genius for getting an actual trained medic in his crew.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    So great, guns in One Piece are "dangerous" in the same sense that a grain of sugar is dangerous, drop lots in the target and they'll eventually die. If they don't receive proper medical attention.

Luffy's a genius for getting an actual trained medic in his crew.
    Except it is easier to pump a body with a crapload of bullets (not guns, as in your faulty analogy) than a crapload of sugar, due to this technological wonder we call guns. And yes, lots of people die even IRL due to complications and not receiving proper medical attention after gunshots. Doesn't make guns any less dangerous. Did I forget to mention that water is wet?

Yep, and you conveniently ignored Otohime who got sniped by Hody.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-07-30 at 07:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #408

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Except it is easier to pump a body with a crapload of bullets (not guns, as in your faulty analogy) than a crapload of sugar, due to this technological wonder we call guns. And yes, lots of people die even IRL due to complications and not receiving proper medical attention after gunshots. Doesn't make guns any less dangerous. Did I forget to mention that water is wet?

Yep, and you conveniently ignored Otohime who got sniped by Hody.
    And then we have people like whitebeard to whom bullet damage is like being punched to death by toddlers. Its going to take awhile. He had no special rubber body to make bullets useless, he was also totally being shot, not standing there with haki letting them bounce off like raindrops. In the end despite taking on enough lead that he would have been defecating cannonballs for the next week had he survived, they didnt actually do all that much to him. Like... at all. Bullets are for taking down mooks and npc weaklings. Not for serious combat in One Piece. As a side benefit they are handy for displaying how badass and awesome you are for dodging or ignoring them casually. That being said, clearly bullets can be improved from their basic level and thus become more of a threat, but regular bullets? Nope.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post

when a claim isn't even sound at a fundamental level, you typically have to backtrack, and make assertions like that...

which gets you into an even more desperate spot-

We have direct evidence of a indirect bullet hit messing Luffy up

where a character inflicting said thing on to themselves, in a situational gambit, is the only evidence of it being dangerous.

just stahp it

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't half the point of the ancient weapons that they already exist but the WG refuses to use them?
    No they badly want to use them.
    But they dont know where any of them are.
    Thats about core to the Water 7 Arc.

where a character inflicting said thing on to themselves, in a situational gambit, is the only evidence of it being dangerous.
    So in other words, even 3rd degree contact almost kills or certainly knocks Luffy out.
    What is it again your argument is for why these bullets are not a threat to Luffy?
    That so far he has not been hit by one?

just stahp it
    Seems there isnt any coherent counter arguments left.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground

Feels like we might get a bm/kaido flashback, their relationship def needs more context.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Bugbear in the Playground

The gun damage depends a lot on the level of the gunsmith, and the level of the shooter.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Feels like we might get a bm/kaido flashback, their relationship def needs more context.
    Extremely.

But yeah, new chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly more set up, but it ends with two Yonko clashing... and once again, the sheer weight of their clashing splits the sky in half. I love this series and how shockingly consistent it is.

24. - Top - End - #414

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Extremely.

But yeah, new chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly more set up, but it ends with two Yonko clashing... and once again, the sheer weight of their clashing splits the sky in half. I love this series and how shockingly consistent it is.
    I wonder if it has to do with just how confidant they are? I mean, we have seen plenty of conquerors clashes up till now but its been on a steadily increasing level of opponent. Lets take luffy and don chinanjo or whatever spike heads name was. It was a pretty epic clash but very much so not split the sky in half. Is that because their haki is weaker? Or could it be because they both realize they arent absolute authority? Meaning both are well aware that there are stronger opponents than them out there. Even stubborn luffy wouldnt honestly believe at the time that he IS the strongest, even though he intends to become such. Meanwhile when yonko like whitebeard and shanks clash, both of them are supreme. They have faced the best, they ARE the best, and their clash reflects that as their will reflects this reality, so its two irresistible forces slamming into each other backed by the immovable object of their utter certainty that they have no superior. At best they might acknowledge the others as an equal, hence the equally matched clash.

Or maybe its about control. Luffy can unleash haki but its not particularly focused iirc. Its a blast wave of power, not a focused beam or wall like the yonko might have. Makes you wonder what he could do if he could confine it all towards his target rather than hitting everything in a sphere around him. Or at least a half circle going by fishman island.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #415

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I wonder if it has to do with just how confidant they are? I mean, we have seen plenty of conquerors clashes up till now but its been on a steadily increasing level of opponent. Lets take luffy and don chinanjo or whatever spike heads name was. It was a pretty epic clash but very much so not split the sky in half. Is that because their haki is weaker? Or could it be because they both realize they arent absolute authority? Meaning both are well aware that there are stronger opponents than them out there. Even stubborn luffy wouldnt honestly believe at the time that he IS the strongest, even though he intends to become such. Meanwhile when yonko like whitebeard and shanks clash, both of them are supreme. They have faced the best, they ARE the best, and their clash reflects that as their will reflects this reality, so its two irresistible forces slamming into each other backed by the immovable object of their utter certainty that they have no superior. At best they might acknowledge the others as an equal, hence the equally matched clash.

Or maybe its about control. Luffy can unleash haki but its not particularly focused iirc. Its a blast wave of power, not a focused beam or wall like the yonko might have. Makes you wonder what he could do if he could confine it all towards his target rather than hitting everything in a sphere around him. Or at least a half circle going by fishman island.
    Not to put to fine a point on it, but the only answer to your myriad theories is "yes."

All of this is true at the same time. That's just the sort of series One Piece is.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Luffy, in the last few chapters, focused his power on specific people when it comes to CH. The guards specifically. He didn't knock out the whole prison. He just knocked the guards off. He's used it on specific animals too. So...ya know. There's that. He can also target enemies, he doesn't knock out non-combatants at Fishman Island or his allies either, like he did at The War at Marineford.

Luffy's CH is pretty robust and he's got a great deal of control over it post-timeskip and it seems to be getting stronger and better with each arc as expected. Also, just as an addition, Oda's said that Shanks could have knocked out the entire New Fishman Pirates. All 100,000 of them.

27. - Top - End - #417

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Luffy, in the last few chapters, focused his power on specific people when it comes to CH. The guards specifically. He didn't knock out the whole prison. He just knocked the guards off. He's used it on specific animals too. So...ya know. There's that. He can also target enemies, he doesn't knock out non-combatants at Fishman Island or his allies either, like he did at The War at Marineford.

Luffy's CH is pretty robust and he's got a great deal of control over it post-timeskip and it seems to be getting stronger and better with each arc as expected. Also, just as an addition, Oda's said that Shanks could have knocked out the entire New Fishman Pirates. All 100,000 of them.
    Too be fair, fishman island was him hitting everyone not directly behind him and within his range. The people watching were likely too far away to be hit. Not a lot of precision there. It was barely more controlled than his accidental use at marineford where he DID unleash a full circle blastwave hitting everyone in all directions and knocking out the weak, both marines and pirates alike. Fishman was closer to a 180 and aside from the king and his boys (who would be presumably strong enough of will to not be knocked out) Its hard to judge how strong it was compared to marineford but the main purpose there was to show he had control over using it. I forgot about him hitting specific guards though, my bad.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Obviously, you get the "sky-splitting strike" perk once you have your official Yonkou ID, and Luffy's application is still awaiting approval.

On a more serious note... is King confirmed to be Skypiean? The black wing is a bit of an oddity, but in the anime it turns out to be white. It is one of the few surprising color swaps aside from Queen becoming blonde.

For the 3 races not in Big Mom's territory, so far we got Giants and Skypiean or whatever King's race is. As for the 3rd, any guesses? How about a demon-horned race the likes of Kaido, Oars, and Oars Jr.?

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Too be fair, fishman island was him hitting everyone not directly behind him and within his range. The people watching were likely too far away to be hit. Not a lot of precision there. It was barely more controlled than his accidental use at marineford where he DID unleash a full circle blastwave hitting everyone in all directions and knocking out the weak, both marines and pirates alike. Fishman was closer to a 180 and aside from the king and his boys (who would be presumably strong enough of will to not be knocked out) Its hard to judge how strong it was compared to marineford but the main purpose there was to show he had control over using it. I forgot about him hitting specific guards though, my bad.
    But people on either side of him get hit. They're surrounding him. It was way more controlled, he envoked it and Jinbie expressly states he's gotten stronger in the two year timeskip. So your premise is just flawed from the outset. Luffy's got good control after Marineford. It's not even something we can argue over. In universe, it's acknowledged by pretty much everyone. Even by people present at Marineford.

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    But people on either side of him get hit. They're surrounding him. It was way more controlled, he envoked it and Jinbie expressly states he's gotten stronger in the two year timeskip. So your premise is just flawed from the outset. Luffy's got good control after Marineford. It's not even something we can argue over. In universe, it's acknowledged by pretty much everyone. Even by people present at Marineford.
    Indeed it was, I misremembered how the haki attack went, my bad. On an unrelated note, wow, I didnt actually think about it, but its kind of impressive, I caught another one piece clip, this time being the one with rebecca and viola talking about luffys article after fighting big mom. Viola mentions it hasnt even been a month since he left dressrosa. Thats.. thats pretty impressive of a power curve luffy is climbing. Going from barely scraping a wing against a warlord, to beating a yonkos number 1 commander and then escaping after everything that took place in just a few weeks time. Makes me wonder if the gorusei are getting more stressed out because of just how rapidly luffy has been messing with the balance of power in the new world. Like, its one thing if he say, popped up every few months and did something ridiculous, but they barely have time to receive word of his latest absurd accomplishment before he is working on the next!

On that note, is there an official in universe timeline showing when everything happened? Like, how long did it take for luffy to go from alabasta, where he arguably made his first big impact on global politics, to marineford?