New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    So I gotta ask, as someone who has been trying and failing, to get into One Piece for a few years now...what draws you to this particular series? What do you enjoy about it and what don't you?
    I'll be honest, the first arcs are a little hard to get through by merit that they were made in the mid-90's and they're kinda goofy. But getting through them is worth it. Once the team really starts coming together the pathos and world building drive the story and it's a wild ride. What constantly amazes me about Oda's writing is how he's able to take things from those earlier goofy parts and make them relevant even 800 chapters in. Characters and ideas presented in the early series are just as relevant today, 22 years later, as they were when they were just released.

It creates a fiction that's tight and makes the world feel fleshed out and cohesive in a way no other comic/manga has ever done for me.

For my part, I enjoy a large amount of the world-building that has gone into this series, how different power-sets and organizations are set up, but actually reading One Piece drives me mad. So I'm trying to get an idea of what has so captivated other people!
    The easy answer for me is I've been reading since 1997 and the goofy parts were fun to me because I was a kid. Now that I reread them I'm looking to see how they factor into what it's become. I'm not sure I'd enjoy starting the series if I were to do it today in 2019. All I can say is, get to after Arlong Park. If you're not enjoying it by Chapter 95...it's not going to get better for you. I understand that 95 chapters of something you're not gel-ing with at that point is a lot to read but the series has almost 1,000 chapters now. 95 is a drop in the bucket.

Arlong Park is, absolutely, a highlight of the series and is still one of the best arcs in the story. It shows just how good Oda is at dealing with inter-party conflict and personal tragedy and why the Straw Hats work despite being a bunch of wild animals.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

To expand a little on what Razade says.
    I also initially tried to enter from the start, and got turned off by the sillyness.
    Then i randomly gave it another chance to see if it changed, and began at the Alabaster arc.
    That got me hooked enough to return and read from the start to get the background.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #513
    Orc in the Playground

So I gotta ask, as someone who has been trying and failing, to get into One Piece for a few years now...what draws you to this particular series? What do you enjoy about it and what don't you?

For my part, I enjoy a large amount of the world-building that has gone into this series, how different power-sets and organizations are set up, but actually reading One Piece drives me mad. So I'm trying to get an idea of what has so captivated other people!

For the longest time i avoid this manga like hot death because i didn't like the art style and felt it wasn't serious enough...

So the humor in the beginning was expected... but-

It was so good.

The emotions run high in the beginning. You're crying, you're laughing, and it has it's badass moments!

Spoiler
    Show
    the whole story goes downhill, when they enter the grand line, and hasn't hit those range of emotions (so masterfully) since...

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

For me One Piece comes across as a a long form version of Popeye so if you like that kind of humor and style but with a serious story it's a lot of fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Colossus in the Playground

What everyone else said.

I'll give you an exact moment: once you get Zoro recruited and you leave that island, that's when the series starts it's turn towards greatness.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I first started reading it when it came out in US Shonen Jump. That was November 2002, I was 12 at the time. I have been following One Piece for the majority of my life, with the exception of the year after the time skip as Fishman Island was terrible and the time skip felt like it really slowed down the series' momentum.

So momentum has a lot to do with it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #517

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I first started reading it when it came out in US Shonen Jump. That was November 2002, I was 12 at the time. I have been following One Piece for the majority of my life, with the exception of the year after the time skip as Fishman Island was terrible and the time skip felt like it really slowed down the series' momentum.

So momentum has a lot to do with it now.
    I mean this too, yeah. It's safe to say One Piece has peaked, which ISN'T bad, it's just very much a series that has been going for years. It's running out of steam eventually, and it's still good! I imagine the finale will bring us back to the heights though.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

One Piece has always had dips and highs. Fishman Island and Punk Hazard weren't particularly action packed and exciting throughout but then we got Dressrosa. The aids to Oda have said that Wano will make Marineford look small. It certainly feels like we're ramping up to something wild, I've enjoyed Wano a great deal already and the payout is going to be awesome.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean this too, yeah. It's safe to say One Piece has peaked, which ISN'T bad, it's just very much a series that has been going for years. It's running out of steam eventually, and it's still good! I imagine the finale will bring us back to the heights though.
    My favorite arc was Water 7-Enies Lobby, which happened in 2004. My second favorite was Thriller Bark, and then Whole Cake Island. So two of them are from the pre-time skip and one from post. Fishman Island, Punk Hazard and the War were my least favorite so I had to sit though a lot of stuff I didn't like in the middle there.

I think the ending will probably be too big for my taste. I didn't enjoy Marineford much, and hated the last year of Naruto. I have a feeling I will probably get to the final arc, skip it and reading the epilogia.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-09-11 at 08:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

What everyone else said.

I'll give you an exact moment: once you get Zoro recruited and you leave that island, that's when the series starts it's turn towards greatness.
    Well, to give a frame of reference, I read One Piece from start to when Usopp was recruited to the crew before awful translations ruined it and I've read a few chapters here and there since then. I've watched One Piece from the beginning up through Alabasta and Crocodile. With clips from Marineford and other times I heard about that sounded interesting.

Granted, all of that was a long time ago.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, to give a frame of reference, I read One Piece from start to when Usopp was recruited to the crew before awful translations ruined it and I've read a few chapters here and there since then. I've watched One Piece from the beginning up through Alabasta and Crocodile. With clips from Marineford and other times I heard about that sounded interesting.

If I was going to start reading it now I would probably start with Water 7, it has the best fights and everyone gets a legitimate time to shine as a character. The characters are no longer nobodies, and you begin to find out about the darker secrets of the world in the next few arcs. It also has a couple legitimate "okay I am done" endings in the next few years, so if you don't feel like a longer read you can quit with some level of wrap up.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

You all are so dismissive to Arlong Park it's hurtful.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I liked Arlong Park, but it was by far the best part of a long set of mediocre arcs. It's the only really good arc from the start to Alabasta (except Whiskey Peak.)

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

My initial few-minute exposure to One Piece must have been somewhere in the Alabasta Arc animation. The basic premise of pirates in deserts? That's ridiculously interesting.

When I read the early part of the manga, it was so underwhelming for me it got me wondering why people say it's better than Naruto and Bleach (Wave Arc, Chunin Exam Arc, and Soul Society Arc were pretty good IMO)

Baratie was the arc that jumpstarted back my full interest in One Piece, and I've been a Sanji fan ever since. Arlong was pretty awesome, and Drum had one very memorable character, but it all started in Baratie.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    My initial few-minute exposure to One Piece must have been somewhere in the Alabasta Arc animation. The basic premise of pirates in deserts? That's ridiculously interesting.

When I read the early part of the manga, it was so underwhelming for me it got me wondering why people say it's better than Naruto and Bleach (Wave Arc, Chunin Exam Arc, and Soul Society Arc were pretty good IMO)

Baratie was the arc that jumpstarted back my full interest in One Piece, and I've been a Sanji fan ever since. Arlong was pretty awesome, and Drum had one very memorable character, but it all started in Baratie.
    Yeah, I was initially going to suggest if by Baratie it didn't click stop while you're ahead. But I felt Arlong Park was really the peak of Pre-Alabasta stuff. Alabasta takes a lot of time to get to though and that whole Saga is pretty long, people forget how long Vivi was actually with the crew I find.

16. - Top - End - #526

Reading the official release will help with that!

Arlong park is the best of the "Up to Logue Town" phase of One Piece. The Pre Logue, you could say.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Arlong park is the best of the "Up to Logue Town" phase of One Piece. The Pre Logue, you could say.
    It's called the East Blue Saga officially. But I chuckled at the pun.

18. - Top - End - #528

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    My favorite arc was Water 7-Enies Lobby, which happened in 2004. My second favorite was Thriller Bark, and then Whole Cake Island. So two of them are from the pre-time skip and one from post. Fishman Island, Punk Hazard and the War were my least favorite so I had to sit though a lot of stuff I didn't like in the middle there.

I think the ending will probably be too big for my taste. I didn't enjoy Marineford much, and hated the last year of Naruto. I have a feeling I will probably get to the final arc, skip it and reading the epilogia.
    For me the problem with naruto was the final arc being like 2/3-3/4 filler and flashbacks. The actual combat parts of it and story progression were entertaining to me. But I watched the anime, I can see how a long war with dozens of characters all needing to show how epic they are could be wearing in a monthly release form on manga.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    For me the problem with naruto was the final arc being like 2/3-3/4 filler and flashbacks. The actual combat parts of it and story progression were entertaining to me. But I watched the anime, I can see how a long war with dozens of characters all needing to show how epic they are could be wearing in a monthly release form on manga.

naruto was weekly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also besides the ending, the war arc pacing wasn't bad in the manga.

@one piece

Lol did Zoro just become more fragile? Oda is intent on this guy always having a handicap.

Also haki is energy... i thought it was just a technique?

20. - Top - End - #530
    Dwarf in the Playground

* Furiously folds tin foil into a poor approximation of a hat*

Alright hear me out. We know there are three Kitetsus and for that reason some people have suggested that Zoro's final three swords will be Kitetsu I-III. But in order to wield those three swords he'd have to stop using Wado. This doesn't seem terribly likely as not only would Zoro never give up Kuina's sword, Wado is unlikely to break as even with out haki it was able to survive a fight with Mihawk.

However, now we know that it came from Wano. So here's my crazy theory. Wado is Kitetsu I. Since Wado came from a Wano swordsmith it is possible that it comes from the same line of swords as the other Kitetsu. Most importantly of all, it fits with Kuina's death. The Kitetsus are a cursed line. Each one is supposedly cursed to cause the death of their wielder. Kuina's rather odd death by staircase doesn't seem quite so odd if she was wielding a sword cursed to kill her.

*Takes off hat and gently sets it aside for future use*

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Alright its not entirely wild.
    I can see Zorro's original sword having some sort of significance.
    So its not impossible its the practice blade made by the smith.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

22. - Top - End - #532

I personally doubt it would be the shodaime kitetsu if only because thats the kind of sword that gets noticed, and iirc, the sword otaku who works with smoker instantly identified kunisas sword and what its name/rank was way back in logue town. It didnt break against mihawk because mihawk wasnt even trying. It broke his two junk blades because they were utter trash mass produced sold by the barrel blades. Kunisas sword is one of the higher ranking famous named blades. Not remotely on par with mihawks black blade, but also not going to be shattered by a guy not even bothering to use haki to teach a noob with potential a little of how far he has to go still.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #533
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I personally doubt it would be the shodaime kitetsu if only because thats the kind of sword that gets noticed, and iirc, the sword otaku who works with smoker instantly identified kunisas sword and what its name/rank was way back in logue town. It didnt break against mihawk because mihawk wasnt even trying. It broke his two junk blades because they were utter trash mass produced sold by the barrel blades. Kunisas sword is one of the higher ranking famous named blades. Not remotely on par with mihawks black blade, but also not going to be shattered by a guy not even bothering to use haki to teach a noob with potential a little of how far he has to go still.

My thought process was that the Wado identity was created a long time ago to hide it's cursed identity but since it's still a high tier blade the Wado identity soon became famous as well.

Also Wado Ichimonji is a O Wazamono sword so while it is one step below Mihawk's Yoru, which is a Saijo O Wazamono, my point was that it is high enough grade that is is unlikely to be broken, especially now that Zoro is using haki.
    Last edited by Flying Turtle; 2019-09-12 at 06:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wado Ichimonji
    Spoiler
    Show
    My opinion on this Wado Ichimonji reveal is pretty much the same as those lf the Straw Hat reveals (Roger and the reverie SH). Were these really necessary? Why does it matter who forged Wado, if its main significance until now was powerful enough--it was the sword of Zoro's fallen friend whom he made a promise to. That's compelling. As Mihawk said, any sword can be a Kokuto, so it didn't really matter what initial quality this sword was. Zoro already had a renowned-status loot sword in Shusui, and the apparent upgrade in Enma is a +5 excalibur-type epic loot sword.

Sure, this may be Oda's way of tying Kuina and Koshiro to Wano, as possibly Kosaburo's granddaughter and son, respectively. I still feel like there could've been a better way to do that.

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show
    Based on Robin's report, you could say Kaido still has the Numbers against the Kozuki alliance. I'm guessing Luffy haki-faints maybe half of those, but that still gives you a ~4:1 disadvantage. Did Whitebeard even have this much manpower in Marineford?

Looks like Luffy improved more in less than a week than he did in 2 years under freaking Rayleigh. To be fair, he might have learned all the haki basics from Rayleigh, so that could've flattened the learning curve for haki deflection.

I love the possibly unintentional humor for the act closing: that is, Hiyori leaving the squad so she can strum the shamisen again.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Lol did Zoro just become more fragile? Oda is intent on this guy always having a handicap.

Also haki is energy... i thought it was just a technique?
    Keep pushing that argument. One day someone will agree with you.

And Haki has always been energy. Like. Always. Rayleigh outright calls it a "power" that comes from a person's spirit. It's always been that way.

Also

Spoiler: Latest Chapter
    Show
    I love how Oda is trying to make us think that Law betrayed Luffy and co when he himself got mad over them not trusting him.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-09-13 at 02:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Orc in the Playground

Keep pushing that argument.

It turned his arm to skin and bones. He's going to have to manage that effect during fights.

(sidenote: maybe he can stop getting injured and Oda can just say he's tired from now on.)

I would've preferred if the sword had a defensive effect honestly but whatever.

Anyone think we are going to see Zoro vs Mihawk for the title of best? Oda kind of sucks at setting up these "rivalries", all the characters in this manga are too forgiving, to keep any of them going for long.

One day someone will agree with you.

Probably the day after they've been proven wrong... grief does come in waves.

And Haki has always been energy. Like. Always. Rayleigh outright calls it a "power" that comes from a person's spirit. It's always been that way.

That's something i've noticed with oda, he can build, but the details are always fuzzy.

27. - Top - End - #537

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Act two ends. Next time... act three, the finale of this kabuki play. I'm actually pretty excited, there's a lot of build up in this chapter, like much of the arc, but I think it'll pay off well.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Dwarf in the Playground

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Act two ends. Next time... act three, the finale of this kabuki play. I'm actually pretty excited, there's a lot of build up in this chapter, like much of the arc, but I think it'll pay off well.
    Possibly relevant factoid: kabuki plays usually have five acts. Not sure if that applies here but we値l see.

Personally I知 hoping it is five acts. As much as I知 looking forward to the upcoming battle it doesn稚 quite seem Marineford level and this arc is suppose to make Marineford look cute.

29. - Top - End - #539

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    Possibly relevant factoid: kabuki plays usually have five acts. Not sure if that applies here but we値l see.

Personally I知 hoping it is five acts. As much as I知 looking forward to the upcoming battle it doesn稚 quite seem Marineford level and this arc is suppose to make Marineford look cute.
    Dont forget how fast whole cake exploded in size. Suddenly we have germas fleet, the sun pirates, big moms fleets, her armies chasing sanji and luffy, etc etc etc. A couple surprise appearances, which seem to be a bit of a theme for luffy and crew, and suddenly his grand fleet appears, backed by the army of, I dunno, alabasta or something. For all we know, Boa could turn up leading an army of kuja pirates. I have no idea how possible any of that is, but its just an idea. The point being, this epic battle could quickly get out of hand.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post

It's going to have the Beast Pirates and their allies, all of Big Mom's fleet now fighting on their side. This is the Yonko Saga so it's not unlikely Shanks and Blackbeard will want to get in the mix somehow. We know that, according to some recent interviews with Oda, the Strawhat Grand Fleet will be showing up. There's still Whitebeard's kid and The Revolutionaries knocking around too. Not to mention the Whitebeard Remnant Fleet and the Minks. Nekomamushi is one of the Nine Red Scabbards, he's bound to show up at Wano with the Minks. He has a message from Marco to Luffy.

We've got three more acts to go. I can't find the quote but I'm almost certain Oda confirmed that Wano would, like a Kabuki play, have five acts.