New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Dont forget how fast whole cake exploded in size. Suddenly we have germas fleet, the sun pirates, big moms fleets, her armies chasing sanji and luffy, etc etc etc. A couple surprise appearances, which seem to be a bit of a theme for luffy and crew, and suddenly his grand fleet appears, backed by the army of, I dunno, alabasta or something. For all we know, Boa could turn up leading an army of kuja pirates. I have no idea how possible any of that is, but its just an idea. The point being, this epic battle could quickly get out of hand.
    Nekomamushi is also still trying to get the help of Marco and the remaining Whitebeard crew.

Not sure how the SH Grand Fleet would get notified though. Can Luffy's shout be loud enough? Maybe Bege can tell the Tontatta Army that Luffy is headed to Wano, but Leo himself is at the Reverie. I'm not even sure if Bege knows that Luffy is going to Wano.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Nekomamushi is also still trying to get the help of Marco and the remaining Whitebeard crew.

Not sure how the SH Grand Fleet would get notified though. Can Luffy's shout be loud enough? Maybe Bege can tell the Tontatta Army that Luffy is headed to Wano, but Leo himself is at the Reverie. I'm not even sure if Bege knows that Luffy is going to Wano.
    Den Den Mushi probably

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Den Den Mushi probably
    Have we seen someone with a Den Den Mushi yet in Wano? Pretty sure it's emphasized that long-distance communication technology works differently in Wano. Smails and Boss Smails are like client-to-server tech while regular den den mushi are client-to-client tech, so I have my doubts about their compatibility.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Have we seen someone with a Den Den Mushi yet in Wano? Pretty sure it's emphasized that long-distance communication technology works differently in Wano. Smails and Boss Smails are like client-to-server tech while regular den den mushi are client-to-client tech, so I have my doubts about their compatibility.
    Long distance communication works different in Wano not because Den Den Mushi don't work but because Wano has been closed off from the rest of the world for a really long time and have had to develop their own technology without the world around them. Den Den Mushi are native all around the world except, it would seem, Wano. The Tanishi are the native species of Wano so they had to work with those.

We've seen Den Den Mushi work over incredible distances, so I don't hink there needs to be any kind of compatibility. As long as the Straw Hats have a Den Den Mushi...or their allies bring one, they could very well use them to call out.

They also, if I recall, have Vivre Cards for Luffy. So they know where he is. So does Sabo. If say, Kaido kicks the crap out of Luffy, and the papers start to burn I imagine they'll rush as far and fast as they can to help him.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Colossus in the Playground

Which is why nobody knows the grand fleet is coming. It isnt beyond reasonable to think that word of luffy heading to kaido from whole cake has gotten out and indeed did so before he even made it to wano, giving his allies time to regroup and head there themselves. The grand fleet has to have a way to communicate with each other, otherwise they would be a really lame fleet spread out across the new world.

On a semi related note, I cant wait to see morgans headlines after this ends. "Fifth Emperor Luffy Declares War on all of the Yonko!" "Details are sparse on why, but it appears the newest great power of the oceans is on the warpath, after attacking Big Mom and escaping intact, Straw Hat Luffy turned his sights on Wano, attacking Kaido in his own stronghold as for the second time a yonko is shown to be vulnerable to direct attack." etc etc etc. I know we are all aware that luffy isnt yonko level yet, but if this keeps up it wouldnt matter. Luffy is seriously destabilizing the balance of power in the One Piece universe with his actions. If he manages to do damage to kaido and his territory in some meaningful way like he did with big mom, it exposes the yonko as vulnerable on the world stage. It would be like some small nation, lets say, somalia, invading america, destroying a state, then falling back in good order with their invasion force mostly unharmed. Its a shock to the entire world that this was possible and it makes the nation look weak. If somalia then invades China, destroying one of their major cities and escapes again, it gets even worse. All these big power players on the world stage are being made to look weak and vulnerable, which could easily cause other, larger nations to start to think about their chances against the big dogs.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean...we all know Luffy is going to BE Yonko level (even if only barely) by the end of this arc right? This isn't like Whole Cake Island where the plan was to go in, get what and who they came to get, and then leave. The plan from the beginning of the arc (even before that really) was to defeat Kaido and Luffy isn't leaving Wano until he does just that; especially after his promise to Otama. Now there is also another Yonko enemy on the same island to really hammer the point home that Luffy will need to get on their level if he is to win this war. Not to mention his whole training arc that he has been on since he got to the prison to show HOW he will reach that level.

Heck I personally suspect Luffy WILL be an Emperor of the Sea at the end of this with Wano being his territory (in a "these people can use my name to protect their home" sort of way that Whitebeard seemed to use rather than the "I own this place" manner that Kaido seems to use.) Heck, if the Grand Fleet is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if Wano just declared themselves to be Strawhat territory without Luffy's permission. Come to think of it the same goes for Fishman Island should Big Mom be defeated here as well.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2019-09-17 at 12:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I mean...we all know Luffy is going to BE Yonko level (even if only barely) by the end of this arc right? This isn't like Whole Cake Island where the plan was to go in, get what and who they came to get, and then leave. The plan from the beginning of the arc (even before that really) was to defeat Kaido and Luffy isn't leaving Wano until he does just that; especially after his promise to Otama. Now there is also another Yonko enemy on the same island to really hammer the point home that Luffy will need to get on their level if he is to win this war. Not to mention his whole training arc that he has been on since he got to the prison to show HOW he will reach that level.
    I see it as quite the contrary, the presence of big Momma means she'll be the one taking out Kaido because she's a chronic backstabber. Then leave the island to Luffy because she's crazy/easily distracted.

In particular since Luffy still got roflstomped by a pirate emperor minion so quite lagging behind all in all when it comes to power level.

Or something Big Momma weakens Kaido enough that Luffy and friends manage to defeat him by sheer numbers. They're gathering quite a lot of allies, they're gonna be used for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    I see it as quite the contrary, the presence of big Momma means she'll be the one taking out Kaido because she's a chronic backstabber. Then leave the island to Luffy because she's crazy/easily distracted.

In particular since Luffy still got roflstomped by a pirate emperor minion so quite lagging behind all in all when it comes to power level.

Or something Big Momma weakens Kaido enough that Luffy and friends manage to defeat him by sheer numbers. They're gathering quite a lot of allies, they're gonna be used for something.
    That last one is my thought. Luffy will be stronger by the end of this arc sure, but I doubt he will make the full jump from commander to yonko. I fully expect it to be a last man standing sort of thing where big mom and kaido take each other out, or do enough damage that luffy is technically the winner, (which morgan will of course hype beyond belief) Remember, he still has to face blackbeard and the admirals, he has time to finally reach that level of power still. I fully expect it to take until the final battle for him to officially and legitimately be yonko or yonko+ power. All that said, I fully expect there to be some sort of visible symbol of luffy being stronger. Maybe he will strike the finishing blow on a weakened kaido/big mom when before he was utterly useless against them. It would tick the boxes for us. Show his strength increasing, be a tarnished victory as he obviously didnt defeat kaido on his own and more came in with the final shot out of nowhere after someone else did most of the work, and give morgan the excuse to release another love note to luffy headline.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Remember, he still has to face blackbeard and the admirals, he has time to finally reach that level of power still. I fully expect it to take until the final battle for him to officially and legitimately be yonko or yonko+ power.
    The end of the final battle is where he will reach Pirate King level. I am fairly certain that is stronger than Yonko level.

10. - Top - End - #550

The end of the final battle is where he will reach Pirate King level. I am fairly certain that is stronger than Yonko level.
    So, when he actually manages to straight up defeat a yonko then? Yeah, sounds like dealing with blackbeard and the admirals and such to me in the final arc. Right now he is basically scraping a survival score against yonko and thats with lots of help. If he is going to become pirate king he needs to establish himself publicly as stronger than any other pirate and stronger than the marines. Thats not going to happen here.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Bugbear in the Playground

With Big Mom's temper, do you think she could go into hunger rage is she threatens to eat someone?

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, when he actually manages to straight up defeat a yonko then? Yeah, sounds like dealing with blackbeard and the admirals and such to me in the final arc. Right now he is basically scraping a survival score against yonko and thats with lots of help. If he is going to become pirate king he needs to establish himself publicly as stronger than any other pirate and stronger than the marines. Thats not going to happen here.
    Scraping a survival score against a Yonko and defeating him in single battle aren't mutually exclusive. Luffy has had a few battles where he just barely won and then collapsed from his injuries. If such a victory against a Yonko's commander made Luffy "commander level" then one against a Yonko should logically make him Yonko level (especially when you remember Luffy needed to retreat and rest in the middle of that fight in order to win it). Sure Luffy has alot of allies here, but so does Kaido.

Keep in mind that, for as terrifying as Kaido is, Kaido is not history's stongest Yonko. Whitebeard was and the Marine Admirals picked a fight with him and Blackbeard was the one to kill him. In addition it was implied that Shanks was stronger than Kaido as well since Shanks was the one that pushed Kaido back in the lead up to the Paramount war. It has been implied that Luffy plans on dueling Shanks to prove that he has surpassed him (as he told Law that he is going to beat up all the Yonko).

I sincerely believe that, even after defeating Kaido, Luffy will still need to grow plenty before he can become the Pirate King.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2019-09-17 at 11:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Scraping a survival score against a Yonko and defeating him in single battle aren't mutually exclusive. Luffy has had a few battles where he just barely won and then collapsed from his injuries. If such a victory against a Yonko's commander made Luffy "commander level" then one against a Yonko should logically make him Yonko level. Sure Luffy has alot of allies herr, but so does Kaido.
    Keep in mind that, for as terrifying as Kaido is, Kaido is not history's stongest Yonko. Whitebeard was and the Marine Admirals picked a fight with him and Blackbeard was the one to kill him.
    An old sick Whitebeard that couldn't even use haki, swords and bullets penetrating him just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

14. - Top - End - #554
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whitebeard was called "World's strongest man".

Kaido is called "World's strongest creature" - undefeated in single combat.

15. - Top - End - #555

Scraping a survival score against a Yonko and defeating him in single battle aren't mutually exclusive. Luffy has had a few battles where he just barely won and then collapsed from his injuries. If such a victory against a Yonko's commander made Luffy "commander level" then one against a Yonko should logically make him Yonko level (especially when you remember Luffy needed to retreat and rest in the middle of that fight in order to win it). Sure Luffy has alot of allies here, but so does Kaido.

Keep in mind that, for as terrifying as Kaido is, Kaido is not history's stongest Yonko. Whitebeard was and the Marine Admirals picked a fight with him and Blackbeard was the one to kill him. In addition it was implied that Shanks was stronger than Kaido as well since Shanks was the one that pushed Kaido back in the lead up to the Paramount war. It has been implied that Luffy plans on dueling Shanks to prove that he has surpassed him (as he told Law that he is going to beat up all the Yonko).

I sincerely believe that, even after defeating Kaido, Luffy will still need to grow plenty before he can become the Pirate King.
    Luffy defeated two commanders during whole cake island, yes cracker had an assist from nami but in the end, thats two commanders down. And his fight with katakuri was primarily 1 on 1, meaning he fought and overcame a commander, big moms strongest, mostly by himself. Even had he lost he would still be considered commander level because he clearly was fighting on par with katakuri by the end of the battle. You dont have to BEAT them to be considered on par with them after all. Meanwhile, what has he done physically against kaido or big mom? He got roflstomped instantly by kaido after his free shot did absolutely nothing to him. Thats a very clear and unequivocal statement that luffy isnt yonko level.

No scraping a survival score doesnt HAVE to be mutually exclusive, but in the context im using it, where luffy didnt do diddly squat in the way of beating big mom and barely escaped with his life due to an absurd amount of outside help, it totally is. As I said earlier, if he were to fight kaido or big mom, do a lot of damage but still lose decisivly, you could make the argument for him being yonko level. If he is casually obliterated and only escapes alive due to excessive amounts of help from outside sources, he clearly isnt. Right now he clearly isnt. That may change by the end of this arc, but im just saying he can display a notable increase in power and skill here and still not be yonko level because he has at LEAST one more major arc to go against end game level antagonists of various sorts where his victory will need to be in doubt because if luffy is crushing yonko BEFORE that fight it will lose a lot of the drama. Its how this type of anime works. The protagonist always reaches full power in the big final battle arc.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Orc in the Playground

One piece is usually at its peak, in recent years, when it does info dumps. Not because they are good but because the information was being withheld for so long.

That said:

@sabo

Spoiler
    Show

If sabo got captured by the wg, hard eye roll.
    If sabo got ki- (bs, not buying it. It would be hilarious, as i seem him as nothing more than an Ace clone, but not buying it.)

@shichibukai

Spoiler
    Show
    It seems like the wg's hand was forced here, so i think most of them will survive the assault, but a few might get an admiral surprise.

I feel like the "betrayal" would've played better in the beginning of the story. The shichubukai have become overglorified benchwarmers as far as the plot is concerned. Plus their numbers have become pitiful, only 3 of them come to mind... same number as admirals! lol

@everything

Spoiler
    Show

Am i the only one annoyed...?

why even bother to set out answering questions, if you're just going to make a **** ton more in their place? Mystery is good but the amount of questions in this manga is "too damn high".

One piece overall is becoming frustrating. All the good stuff is simply being hinted at while we slog through the sh's predictable trek... once... again...

Oda is going at a breakneck pace, i just hope where he is headed, is more exciting than the stuff he skipped over. To his credit i did find the end of the second "cord"? to be exciting/momentous (for what it was) but i don't think cord 3 is living up to the momentum.
    Last edited by ellenate; 2019-09-19 at 08:46 AM.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

An old sick Whitebeard that couldn't even use haki, swords and bullets penetrating him just fine.
    We lack evidence saying Whitebeard could not use Haki, since it was back in its invisible phase.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    We lack evidence saying Whitebeard could not use Haki, since it was back in its invisible phase.
    We in fact have evidence to the opposite. Whitebeard could use Haki.

1. They outright say he has Conquerors Haki. When Luffy uses it unconsciously a few characters remark that "he has it, just like Pops" or something to that general effect.

2. He physically hits Logia users. You can only do that with Armament Haki. It was before Oda was drawing it with color to mark its use, but the effects are tangible and in evidence.

3. He predicted Crocodile's attack, demonstrating that if he doesn't have Observation Haki he's just dang observant.

So he's at least two of the three.

19. - Top - End - #559

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    With Big Mom's temper, do you think she could go into hunger rage is she threatens to eat someone?
    She has literally done this in her backstory so yes.

Anyway hey, new chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show
    And it's real good, reminded me that I'm not super invested in Wano and why I'm not. I love the sea politics, call me crazy but it's the good ****. And we now know what X Drake is on Wano now, he's a spy working with Koby!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

She has literally done this in her backstory so yes.
    She has repeatedly done so several other times. How can it be a surprise for anyone?

And we now know what X Drake is on Wano now, he's a spy working with Koby!
    It is an interesting twist, one that has perhaps been subtly foreshadowed.
    We have before seen that the Marine uses deep undercover agents in prominent pirate crews.
    And i guess having a Ancient type fruit means Drake was kinda important.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

She has repeatedly done so several other times. How can it be a surprise for anyone?

It is an interesting twist, one that has perhaps been subtly foreshadowed.
    We have before seen that the Marine uses deep undercover agents in prominent pirate crews.
    And i guess having a Ancient type fruit means Drake was kinda important.

Spoiler
    Show
    There is the theory that Aokiji is also a member of Sword and that's why he joined up with Blackbeard
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Its a good idea. Quite likely the Marine would be extremely interested in keeping track of BB.

23. - Top - End - #563

Spoiler
    Show

Its a good idea. Quite likely the Marine would be extremely interested in keeping track of BB.
    Unless the gorusei are keeping it a secret from aikanu it seems unlikely. Iirc, back when doflamingo was beaten akainu was whining about how he doesnt care where aokiji ran off to and that since he retired his actions dont reflect on the navy. That being said, its entirely possible they ARE keeping it a secret from him. He isnt exactly aokijis best buddy, and he does subtle on par with a pyroclastic flow.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Luffy's lovers are about to fight, and no one's talking about it?

Also, Koby's ridiculously rising the ranks almost at Luffy's pace. And unlike Luffy who trained since he was a little kid, Koby was actually a bit of a wimp.

25. - Top - End - #565

Also, Koby's ridiculously rising the ranks almost at Luffy's pace. And unlike Luffy who trained since he was a little kid, Koby was actually a bit of a wimp.
    This is a good point.

God it'd be so funny if Boa used her powers and Koby doesn't get petrified and he's like "yeah I'm not into girls sorry."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Unless the gorusei are keeping it a secret from aikanu it seems unlikely. Iirc, back when doflamingo was beaten akainu was whining about how he doesnt care where aokiji ran off to and that since he retired his actions dont reflect on the navy. That being said, its entirely possible they ARE keeping it a secret from him. He isnt exactly aokijis best buddy, and he does subtle on par with a pyroclastic flow.
    Its pretty likely there were someone within earshot of Aikanu who do not have clearance for deep undercover secret agents.

Well.. to be fair Koby was also a little kid when he meet Luffy.
    Luffy did have a head start on him. But Koby is still growing at a staggering pace.
    And he doesnt even have a DF yet.

God it'd be so funny if Boa used her powers and Koby doesn't get petrified and he's like "yeah I'm not into girls sorry."
    ... that.. would be utterly hilarious..

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I actually think that Sword is an organization being kept secret from the Gorose, as in they're a group of Marines that are doing their own thing against the will of the government. Which is why they'd be surprised by the actions of CP0 aka the Government's actual secret police.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Orc in the Playground

Hard to get invested into any of these fights when Oda keeps skipping over them.

I'll be floored if we see anything about it next chapter.

His growth feels so unearned. Before the timeskip it felt like he was going to be used as a voice for reform within the WG... now he's just a bruiser going along with the program.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

29. - Top - End - #569

Too be fair, koby IS being trained by garp. You remember garp right? The guy who was about three seconds from absolutely murdering akainu at marineford had sengoku not stopped him? Its like being the personal student of a former kage in naruto. Unless you suck you are going to be on the fast track to a high rank because your mentor knows how to get the best out of you. Plus its kinda necessary from a narrative standpoint. He wont be much of a rival if he is barely vice admiral level while luffy is wearing akainus hide as an overcoat. (That jacket is going to be WARM)

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I somehow get the feeling that Hancock and Koby would wind up going to Wano, one way or another.

Also just a quick reminder: Luffy is just a year older than Koby, so the wimpy kid we saw in Alvida's ship was already 16 back then. He went from level 1 to level - rear admiral in 2 years, unlike Luffy who in his early youth was already trained by Sabo and Ace, and was already left alone in the wilds by Garp to fend for himself.

Maybe Garp is just a MUCH better mentor than Rayleigh.
    Too be fair, koby IS being trained by garp. You remember garp right? The guy who was about three seconds from absolutely murdering akainu at marineford had sengoku not stopped him? Its like being the personal student of a former kage in naruto. Unless you suck you are going to be on the fast track to a high rank because your mentor knows how to get the best out of you. Plus its kinda necessary from a narrative standpoint. He wont be much of a rival if he is barely vice admiral level while luffy is wearing akainus hide as an overcoat. (That jacket is going to be WARM)
    When do you think is the hammer-gun-toting, kukuri-wielding, pirate-offscreening, 2nd-generation Marine, badass extraordinaire Helmeppo gonna be an admiral? He may not be anyone's rival, but he's still trained by Garp himself.

Also I somewhat feel like Akainu will end up being against the WG. There was already a built up tension, and people are quick to point out his sword tattoo as a sign that he is possibly the leader of Sword.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-09-22 at 03:54 PM.