New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    This haki force field seems to be a form of advanced CoA similar to how Katakuri's future sight is a form of advanced CoO. Interesting to note that the admirals themselves already showed this advanced CoA when they collectively blocked Whitebeard's DF power.

The black blade might mean that certain conditions or haki usages might enable a permanent "haki enhancement" on weapons, as it did Ryuuma's and Mihawk's.
    I'm pretty sure it is a reference to an old myth about how if a sword kills 10,000 people it becomes a demon blade.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, the sword IS supposed to be cursed, isn't it?

That plot point was so irrelevant both times it was invoked that I completely forgot.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is a reference to an old myth about how if a sword kills 10,000 people it becomes a demon blade.
    Huh, that was a thing? TIL
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Oh yeah, the sword IS supposed to be cursed, isn't it?

That plot point was so irrelevant both times it was invoked that I completely forgot.
    Wait, wasn't the cursed Blade the one he acquired in Alabasta and not the one he got from Zombie Ryuma on Thriller Bark?
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    Wait, wasn't the cursed Blade the one he acquired in Alabasta and not the one he got from Zombie Ryuma on Thriller Bark?
    I thought the one from Loguetown was cursed and the other one was SUPER cursed?

But a quick wiki walk tells me I was probably misinterpreting from the chapter where "Zoro describes Shusui as having a 'temper' that makes it harder to wield."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

I thought the one from Loguetown was cursed and the other one was SUPER cursed?

But a quick wiki walk tells me I was probably misinterpreting from the chapter where "Zoro describes Shusui as having a 'temper' that makes it harder to wield."
    You're right, Loguetown, not Alabasta. But yeah, I don't recall Shisui being described as cursed.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

Its the three kitetsu blades that are cursed, or at least, those are the ones we know about. But there are also a LOT of unknown legendary blades out there. We only know of two of the 12 that are on par with mihawks black blade. The other one being the original kitetsu blade.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #98

Hey uh, quick question you guys. I just caught the episode where the straw hats got away, with jinbe and germa holding on till they got word then just as they started to make their escape, here comes big mom causing a tidal wave and it cuts away without exposing what happened. Is that a confirmed cliffhangar to leave us wondering? Or will more details emerge as the anime catches up? Just curious.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Hey uh, quick question you guys. I just caught the episode where the straw hats got away, with jinbe and germa holding on till they got word then just as they started to make their escape, here comes big mom causing a tidal wave and it cuts away without exposing what happened. Is that a confirmed cliffhangar to leave us wondering? Or will more details emerge as the anime catches up? Just curious.
    still a cliffhanger
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

10. - Top - End - #100

I liked this new chapter for a variety of reasons! It was easier to read than the last few, and it was nice to see Zoro try to duel a guy...and then get interrupted and get mad when he insists the duel should continue. That's pretty funny.

Also, it's nice to see that Zoro can use his three sword style while using any bladed weapons, even if it's a scythe in his mouth. That's neat!

Also...the Wano people recognize his style. I wonder...

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Also...the Wano people recognize his style. I wonder...
    I've seen a lot of people jump on this...but I don't think that was the implication. She just said "Santoryu...". She basically just went "Wow, three swords!"

12. - Top - End - #102

I've seen a lot of people jump on this...but I don't think that was the implication. She just said "Santoryu...". She basically just went "Wow, three swords!"
    Given Zoro's an orphan that showed up out of nowhere at a japanese dojo on an island I think it's possible Something Is Up.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Given Zoro's an orphan that showed up out of nowhere at a japanese dojo on an island I think it's possible Something Is Up.
    He's almost certainly from Wano...but remember that he invented Santoryu, using a lovably naive child logic of "My friend keeps beating me with two swords, which means two swords is better than one. So three swords must be even better!"

14. - Top - End - #104

He's almost certainly from Wano...but remember that he invented Santoryu, using a lovably naive child logic of "My friend keeps beating me with two swords, which means two swords is better than one. So three swords must be even better!"
    Hmm, good point. It may just remind them OF a samurai though?

15. - Top - End - #105

I doubt he is the first person to ever think of three swords style, it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest that someone in wano had done it before. Its also possible its just amazement from seeing someone go on from two blades and do something very different yet clearly effective.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Dont forget he knew what was likely a rather naughty curseword in a ancient dialect from Wano.
    Though do we have any direct source saying that Zorro is an orphan?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #107

Heh, just got to see the issue where everyone sees luffys new bounty. Poor coby, trying so hard to hide his fanboy friendship with luffy. He and rebecca need to make cute little pink haired babies together. You know, assuming she doesnt join the inevitable harem that luffy as pirate king will have /nod And dangit luffy, lrn 2 count zeroes. Out of curiosity, how did bege react to learning that luffy was "the one in charge the whole time"? I saw a screenshot of him reading the paper but not a real reaction. Is he annoyed? Pleased that it helped him stay out of the primary focus since it got luffy tagged with the huge bounty instead of him? Honestly, overall it was a great reaction issue, letting us see what most of the movers and shakers thought of the news. I did like the touch where blackbeard was well aware that he isnt emperor level yet. But still, better watch your back blackbeard, he isnt exactly gathering moss! (Ok, so he is going to gather mosshead, but that doesnt count!)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Luffy is nowhere near the power of a yonkou, as he himself found out after being clotheslined for his trouble.

Not sure whether Capone will be pissed or not that he was not reported as the mastermind behind a failed attempt to assassinate a yonkou.

Re: Chapter
    I completely missed that line from Hyou... Would be great if he turned out to be Rayleigh's peer and drinking bud in Wano. More hype for Hyou in his prime would also mean more hype for Kaido, since he was able to imprison a once formidable threat.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

And, yet again, he NEEDS to get there and the series is running out of time for him to do so. (I maintain most or all of his core crew are running out of time for it to happen and not be an asspull power up at the end.).

That said, I'm sure Blackbeard is aware that Luffy is Rapidly getting his game up. After All, Blackbeard was able to very quickly go from "Guy who's just rank and file in the trash mobs on Whitebeards crew." too "Dude who can beat a Yonko Commander and be a convincing Warlord." too "Dude who successfully assassinated a Yonko." to "Dude who credibly fought The Sitting Fleet Admiral too a stand still.", and he's had 2 years to up his game since then.
    "I Burn!"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    And, yet again, he NEEDS to get there
    Does he though?

Their goals so far have pissed off several warlords, who they have escaped from, but gotten what they need. They could very well get to Raftel at this point without Luffy getting any stronger than he is now.

Luffy's goal might be to be King of the Pirates, but that doesn't mean he needs to be able to beat up all of them. And if it does, it doesn't necessarily need to be something he achieves before the epilogue.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

And, yet again, he NEEDS to get there and the series is running out of time for him to do so. (I maintain most or all of his core crew are running out of time for it to happen and not be an asspull power up at the end.).

That said, I'm sure Blackbeard is aware that Luffy is Rapidly getting his game up. After All, Blackbeard was able to very quickly go from "Guy who's just rank and file in the trash mobs on Whitebeards crew." too "Dude who can beat a Yonko Commander and be a convincing Warlord." too "Dude who successfully assassinated a Yonko." to "Dude who credibly fought The Sitting Fleet Admiral too a stand still.", and he's had 2 years to up his game since then.
    If you know when the story is going to end, can you let us know? We have no idea how long we've got left other than Oda's saying we're closing in on it. He's been saying that for years. It also presumes that he has to be as strong "as a yonko". Which you can't support. He just needs to be as strong as he needs to be for the end of the series. Which he'll reach, whenever we reach it.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    If you know when the story is going to end, can you let us know? We have no idea how long we've got left other than Oda's saying we're closing in on it. He's been saying that for years. It also presumes that he has to be as strong "as a yonko". Which you can't support. He just needs to be as strong as he needs to be for the end of the series. Which he'll reach, whenever we reach it.
    Were past the 85% mark according to Oda. You can do the math.

As for the cant support thing, are we following the same series? The one were it's a major part of Luffy's character arc and backstory to keep his promise to Shanks to meet him again when he's a great Pirate, at or above Shank's level? That story? The one were frankly he can't actually climb much further with out hitting that next threshold?
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Does he though?

Their goals so far have pissed off several warlords, who they have escaped from, but gotten what they need. They could very well get to Raftel at this point without Luffy getting any stronger than he is now.

Luffy's goal might be to be King of the Pirates, but that doesn't mean he needs to be able to beat up all of them. And if it does, it doesn't necessarily need to be something he achieves before the epilogue.
    Kaido and Big Mom and Blackbeard will NEVER recognize Luffy as a king if they can casually swat him whenever the impulse to do so hits them. And given the prominence of the world government, I can't imagine there won't be some major showdown with them an the Navy before the end.

And last but not least, again, at the start, Luffy had his promise with Shanks. That he'd see Shanks again when he was a great pirate, at or above Shank's level. And that's come up a couple of times, were Shanks COULD have seen Luffy again, but choose not to because Luffy wasn't there yet.

I can't imagine Oda dropping the ball on that narrative at the end by just having both of them shrug and go "Eh, whatever, close enough." at this stage. And I sure can't imagine it being satisfying.
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Were past the 85% mark according to Oda. You can do the math.
    Yeah, he's been saying more or less that for years. When the story is finished, I'll believe the story is finished. Oda's word on "how much we have left" is unreliable at best. We were "70%" of the way done six years ago.

At this rate we've got...four more years? Three? Either way, there's a lot of story still to go. I can't "do the math" because there is no math to do. A % guess by the author isn't a hard number. It doesn't tell us anything other than what the author thinks is the answer. Which, demonstrably, has been wrong in the past. I have no reason to think it's correct this time around either.

As for the cant support thing, are we following the same series? The one were it's a major part of Luffy's character arc and backstory to keep his promise to Shanks to meet him again when he's a great Pirate, at or above Shank's level? That story? The one were frankly he can't actually climb much further with out hitting that next threshold?
    What threshold exactly? What promise are you talking about with "levels" and anything else.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-03-27 at 06:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Honestly, he was at yonko commander level before reaching wano, he doesnt have that much further to go before he becomes credible threat to a yonko. And its looking like his prison training is going to help him advance a bit at least. I wouldnt be surprised if by the end of wano he is able to at least trade blows with kaido without getting utterly creamed. He may not win, or his victory is full of caveats that show he couldnt have done it as a stand up fight if he does, but the improvement will be clear. And that still leaves a couple more arcs to improve before the end.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Yeah, he's been saying more or less that for years. When the story is finished, I'll believe the story is finished. Oda's word on "how much we have left" is unreliable at best. We were "70%" of the way done six years ago.
    When? Where? The only thing I can find is from the middle of 2016, which seems like a reasonable estimate back then compared to now. I don't intend to doubt you and clearly it's hard to guess such things even for the author but the only definite statement I can remember is the 'Marineford was halfway' estimate.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

So, not any meaningful surprises in this chapter.
    Except for yet another confirmation on how high the average power level is in Wano.
    When a fight against a random hitman leaves Zorro with a phyrric victory.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Who might be the traitor? It couldn't have been Yasu now, could it?

Is the courtesan who claimed to be Hiyori, also Komurasaki? She looks like her, but it can just be Oda's tendency to draw women a certain way. Komurasaki was fleshed out in the same chapter Momo talked about Hiyori, so that's the simple guess. Could be a red herring, though.

I heard guesses that Toko might well be the time-traveled Hiyori, with Komurasaki instead being her protector like Kinemon is to Momo. Makes sense if Oda is incorporating a similar concept to Kagemusha in Wano, with Komurasaki being Hiyori's decoy.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-04-01 at 06:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

I'll stick to my former theory of Kumorasaki being the lost sister and her being a liar or decoy or something, just going by my gut. Or it might be Toko but...

Also, I'd say "poor Sanji" but he knows what he did.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

30. - Top - End - #120

This chapter happened. I have nothing else to really say about it. One Piece is...weird, when it's jumping all over the place like this.