Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

You sure.
    Yes.

How about reaching then.
    No reaching needed either.
    Im quite certain any other native speaker will agree with me here.

They probably didn't say please. Kid got that juice, walked straight out of jail with cuffs on, and everything.
    Yes.. thats another one of the plot points you have overlooked. Kid BROKE out of prison without getting rid of his cuffs.
    This still dont explain how the best guarded prisoner walks out of his locked cell.

Just don't ever laugh.
    No of course not. The current situation is 100% on the kids head, for not being able to control herself.

That wasn't his plan. It's happening, but that wasn't his plan.
    No his plan has been to keep to keep everyone alive until it happen.

All of his actions led to a slow painful death. except his daughter, that was going to be quick. so i guess i should give him credit for that one.
    Since said death has not taken place over 10 years, then i think that bit is disproven.
    His actions have actually staved off a slow death for a lot of people.
    And no, his daughters fate are on her own. It was her who laughed at the ruler, not him.

that lady going to kill her baby so he failed at that.
    Were the lady alive? were she a zombie lady? was it a zombie baby?
    No? then they are in fact both alive. And so he did in fact keep them alive until someone else could arrive to help.

Afro guy has been like someone stuck at the bottom of a well with a group of kids and elderly people.
    That he has not been able do drag everyone up does not subtract from that he managed to keep everyone's head above water until help arrived.

But you seemingly insists that he should just have watched them drown.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2019-05-07 at 08:08 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

I can't honestly take ellenate's arguments at face value at this point. They're either advocating that a hero should let a woman kill her child and let them starve to death because saving the kid and feeding them is just giving them "false hope" and that because he somehow didn't save them with a boat or try to grow crops he's a failure. That's option one.

Option two is they've argued themselves into a corner over a manga they've not been following too closely by their own admission and are now just trying to throw out whatever they think will stick. This is the least likely of the three I grant you.

Option three is they're just being hyperbolic and misconstruing events to get a rise out of everyone they're talking with. I can't peg how likely this one is, but it's not lower than 50%.

Either of the three options means I'm bowing out of the discussion and reminding myself why I rarely come into this thread anymore. I'll take the reminder and stop by when I forget that lesson again.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the "lady killing her child" part referencing this? Because that happened in Okobore Town, which is located two regions away from the Flower Capital and Ebisu Town where Yasuie has been active as the Witching Hour Boy. The two towns inhabit distinctly different characters who follow distinctly different life philosophies, where the later ones never succumb to the harshness of their reality and always strive to remain positive and laugh their problems away. It doesn't seem like anyone in Ebisu would consider killing a family member to end their suffering like someone in Okobore might do.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post

Forgive me for humoring you then, it felt rude to just ignore.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    Forgive me for humoring you then, it felt rude to just ignore.
    I mean....I'm more interested in having a discussion than just being humored. If you really think that it's better to let people starve and murder one another rather than go through difficult times then we don't have a lot to talk about I've got to admit. What can I say in response to that? That doesn't violate the forum rules of course because there's a lot that I could say but can't here.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now that was a twist.

Another proof that in One Piece world, you should never let your enemy have any last words.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: new chapter
    Show
    So he really was part of the rebellion. His death not only killed suspicion on the Akazaya's real plans, but more importantly roused people that might not otherwise take part in the uprising once it actually erupts.

I wonder if the similarity to Roger's death is just a coincidence. I too just realized that Yasuie and Oden are somehow Oda's shoutout to Tokugawa Ieyasu and Oda Nobunaga
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

They're not shoutouts to Oda and Tokugawa. For one, Tokugawa was subordinate to Oda for a time (as was Hideyoshi). For second, the flashback has no civil war with people vying to take the throne from the Emperor. Oden and Yasuie aren't even of equal rank. Oden is the prince if not by title. Even if disowned Yasuie points out that it's just temporary. Oden is the direct male line to the throne and from all we've seen Wano has a system of government that makes him the next in line. Oden is making fun of Yasuie saying that the Shogun would pick him since Oden himself is disowned and Sukiyaki has no other heirs.

The parallel is non-existent.

The chapter was amazing however.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

I think he was talking just about names...

But yeah, nice chapter. I do wonder what idiot decided to let him keep talking.
    Also, curious if the flashback hints at some upcoming reveal because of the hidden face.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

Also, curious if the flashback hints at some upcoming reveal because of the hidden face.
    I was under the impression that he was just universally well regarded that ven guards would think twice to hurt/kill him without any direct order from above.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Seriously. Whoever kaido has in charge of prisoners, needs to be fired asap. They also gave him a huge audience to boot.

It feels like Oda is setting the whole country up for a revolt, at which point i think the wg might make an appearance... they haven't really done anything since the time skip.
    Last edited by ellenate; 2019-05-10 at 09:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

I was under the impression that he was just universally well regarded that ven guards would think twice to hurt/kill him without any direct order from above.
    The Shogun, Oro-something, had rather clearly decreed the date of his excecution.
    And with his volatile temper then i think its extremely unlikely that anyone but a
    small handful from his inner circle would dream of taking that sort of initiative.

Seriously. Whoever kaido has in charge of prisoners, needs to be fired asap. They also gave him a huge audience to boot.
    Its not Kaido who runs this bit of the show. Thats the Shogun guy.
    And he were meant to be part of the public execution/funeral.
    Its more or less impossible not to give him such an audience.
    Or predict he has that kind of charisma.

It feels like Oda is setting the whole country up for a revolt, at which point i think the wg might make an appearance... they haven't really done anything since the time skip.
    The WG isnt going to do anything. Wano is one of the few countries not part of the WG.
    Because of.. reasons cough*nationalpride*cough

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Its not Kaido who runs this bit of the show. Thats the Shogun guy.
    And he were meant to be part of the public execution/funeral.
    Its more or less impossible not to give him such an audience.
    Or predict he has that kind of charisma.
    That's why you make sure to keep the condemned prisioner whitin reach of a good stick so you can hit them in the mouth or kidneys if they try to make any last fancy speech, instead of placing them in a super high place where you can't touch them at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

We know the WG is moving on Wano because they're afraid of Luffy, Kaido and BM meeting up. They want to neuter Luffy's power and want to keep two of the four Yonko from teaming up. Not that they will, probably, but the WG wants to avoid that. CP0 is already on Wano, Orochi wants to open the country up for trade. This is the arc said to "make Marineford look small" after all. Lots of players involved. We're in act 2 of what I assume will be four.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

That's why you make sure to keep the condemned prisioner whitin reach of a good stick so you can hit them in the mouth or kidneys if they try to make any last fancy speech, instead of placing them in a super high place where you can't touch them at all.
    That was indeed a mistake, but a minor one.
    Clearly they wanted everyone to see him. And also clearly, they had already done the hitting bit repeatedly.
    I think its excuseable that they did not think he were in shape to hold a rousing speach.

We know the WG is moving on Wano because they're afraid of Luffy, Kaido and BM meeting up. They want to neuter Luffy's power and want to keep two of the four Yonko from teaming up. Not that they will, probably, but the WG wants to avoid that. CP0 is already on Wano, Orochi wants to open the country up for trade. This is the arc said to "make Marineford look small" after all. Lots of players involved. We're in act 2 of what I assume will be four.
    I missed the bit saying that they would openly move toward Wano.
    And whats the source of CP0 being there already?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

I missed the bit saying that they would openly move toward Wano.
    Pretty sure Akainu says they're going to head to Wano because there's some real crap going down, just not the Admirals because they can't afford to go into a place not knowing their strength. The source that CP0 is in Wano? We see them meet with Orochi. Orochi demands that Vegapunk come to Wano to help develop weapons. The CP0 refuse, Orochi shoots them and then talks about how Kaido is his ace and that it'll keep the world out.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-05-11 at 07:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227

They showed up in Chapter 929 for some kind of arms deal with Orochi.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

That was indeed a mistake, but a minor one.
    Clearly they wanted everyone to see him. And also clearly, they had already done the hitting bit repeatedly.
    I think its excuseable that they did not think he were in shape to hold a rousing speach.
    Not really considering that One Pieceverse works by HP rules where you're either dead/unconscious or 100% capable regardless of how much damage you've taken.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Not really considering that One Pieceverse works by HP rules where you're either dead/unconscious or 100% capable regardless of how much damage you've taken.
    As the only evidence we will ever need, I submit Whitebeard. Im pretty sure he took lethal damage roughly 23 times during marineford, then got to make his badass final speech loud enough for everyone on the island to hear. But hey, he was at -9hp and holding still, talking is a free action, and the dm has a love for drama.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, there's been quite a lot of final fancy speeches before death.

Even the WG themselves did that mistake with Jolly Rogers making one of his own at his execution.

Would really expect for somebody to have learned the lesson by now and just execute the prisioners right away.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

They showed up in Chapter 929 for some kind of arms deal with Orochi.
    Ahh thank you.
    Well thats just them being present for a negotiation.
    It means they had been allowed inside. I dont think its quite the same as having infiltrated the country.

It mainly seems like heroic protagonists get to run by those rules.
    As i recall the story is littered with examples of npc being more or less disabled after a beating.

As the only evidence we will ever need, I submit Whitebeard. Im pretty sure he took lethal damage roughly 23 times during marineford, then got to make his badass final speech loud enough for everyone on the island to hear. But hey, he was at -9hp and holding still, talking is a free action, and the dm has a love for drama.
    Heroic PC's play by different rules.

22. - Top - End - #232

Ahh thank you.
    Well thats just them being present for a negotiation.
    It means they had been allowed inside. I dont think its quite the same as having infiltrated the country.

As i recall the story is littered with examples of npc being more or less disabled after a beating.

We also see over the course of maineford that luffy indeed becomes weaker, slower, less capable, as the war drags on and the damage and exhaustion builds up. Yeah he got his, hold on, /starts counting fingers uhhh 5th wind upon freeing ace, but that didnt last long. Same for him dealing with the whole big mom thing, him fighting without food from sanji, the endless battles where the only break he got was being chained to a wall. I think heroic pcs have the ability to trigger adrenaline shots inside their bodies as they seem to be able to will themselves to unleash that "final" attack at full power then collapse afterwards, or, you know, get back up if it failed and do it again somehow :p

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, fully disabled, not less capable. It's called being unconscious.

Luffy and his party get knocked unconscious now and then too.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    We also see over the course of maineford that luffy indeed becomes weaker, slower, less capable, as the war drags on and the damage and exhaustion builds up. Yeah he got his, hold on, /starts counting fingers uhhh 5th wind upon freeing ace, but that didnt last long. Same for him dealing with the whole big mom thing, him fighting without food from sanji, the endless battles where the only break he got was being chained to a wall. I think heroic pcs have the ability to trigger adrenaline shots inside their bodies as they seem to be able to will themselves to unleash that "final" attack at full power then collapse afterwards, or, you know, get back up if it failed and do it again somehow :p
    Temporary status effects and cooldowns are still a thing.

Like in the battle against Don Flamingo Luffy has been inflicted with a bunch of nasty stuff from the high-level boss plus he expended all his maneuvers, but a few minutes of keeping Don Flamingo busy and all the status effects have worn off and all special abilities are ready to go again so Luffy can go full nova.

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Indeed, fully disabled, not less capable. It's called being unconscious.

Luffy and his party get knocked unconscious now and then too.

Temporary status effects and cooldowns are still a thing.

Like in the battle against Don Flamingo Luffy has been inflicted with a bunch of nasty stuff from the high-level boss plus he expended all his maneuvers, but a few minutes of keeping Don Flamingo busy and all the status effects have worn off and all special abilities are ready to go again so Luffy can go full nova.
    Thank god in this setting you dont need to rest for 8 hours to get your special abilities reloaded. Of course that also applied to mingo as he was able to spend much of that time healing himself of the damage he took, that and farming trash mobs. Maybe he hoped to level up before finding luffy again? lol

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A bit of a "holy crap" moment for me--in Ch. 940 Yasu pretty much laid out what's gonna happen to him this chapter.

26. - Top - End - #236

Clearly One Piece uses Feng Shui rules and he rolled a failure on his Shuffling Off The Mortal Coil roll, and thus gets to make a dramatic speech before his death.

Anyway this chapter was really good, I just think I got lost somewhere a couple chapters back.

27. - Top - End - #237

It's astounding how creative Oda is in finding new ways for people to be jerks in his stories.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

This revelation kind of undermines the whole dad/daughter moment, "those two are always smiling". Shouldn't everyone have been smiling?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, you wanna-be writers, here's how you drop a bomb on your readers.

Spoiler
    Show

I mean, the name has been floating around for years now and I did wonder at some point if there's a point to it (and how it translates) but I didn't expect it to lead to this. In combination with SAD and the leftover folks, I guess we'd gotten hints for a while but I don't think it's a theory I heard before (maybe because parts of it are a bit weird... like, what else can happen if you share devil fruits among multiple people? Seems problematic lore-wise)

This is horrible and terrifying and just what I'd expect from Oda.

Also, I hope next time someone is gonna get a beating.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, you wanna-be writers, here's how you drop a bomb on your readers.

Spoiler
    Show

I mean, the name has been floating around for years now and I did wonder at some point if there's a point to it (and how it translates) but I didn't expect it to lead to this. In combination with SAD and the leftover folks, I guess we'd gotten hints for a while but I don't think it's a theory I heard before (maybe because parts of it are a bit weird... like, what else can happen if you share devil fruits among multiple people? Seems problematic lore-wise)

This is horrible and terrifying and just what I'd expect from Oda.

Also, I hope next time someone is gonna get a beating.
    If I remember correctly we first saw the name when the straw hats first made it to Sabaody. When Disco and Doflamingo we’re talking over the phone... err, I mean snail, Doflamingo said he didn’t care about the slaves they lost because the human trade was old hat and now it was all about the “Smiles”.

That was over decade ago.

Damn.