Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Prologue to the End - (Closed to New Interest)

Quote Originally Posted by In 4 Dimensions View Post
    Itíll be done by tonight!

Would changing her age at the time of the explosion to 14 work? Or should it be closer to 11-12?
    Perhaps even younger actually; 4 years in a cell, maybe a year free to wander and eventually join the club, and perhaps another 4 years she was trained and then performed as an assassin. With that, she could have been closer to 9 or 10 when she was exposed to the explosion.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

OK. Added the motivations in a new paragraph on his backstory.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post
    Perhaps even younger actually; 4 years in a cell, maybe a year free to wander and eventually join the club, and perhaps another 4 years she was trained and then performed as an assassin. With that, she could have been closer to 9 or 10 when she was exposed to the explosion.
    Hmm. I think Iíll have the explosion happen when sheís 14 (it wouldnít really make sense to make an assassin out of an elementary schooler), and Iíll increase her current age to 26.
    Chaotic Good, probably

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, while I work on rewriting stuff; what does "push" mean in the context of the reviews? I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    OK. Added the motivations in a new paragraph on his backstory.
    Kool.

Hmm. I think Iíll have the explosion happen when sheís 14 (it wouldnít really make sense to make an assassin out of an elementary schooler), and Iíll increase her current age to 26.
    An elementary schooler who can phase through walls and use super powers

Quote Originally Posted by Xanyo View Post
    Okay, while I work on rewriting stuff; what does "push" mean in the context of the reviews? I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mornings
    I've begun scrubbing characters and such. I'll probably be throwing up what I got as I crush through sheets. Not 'corrections' per se, but 'suggestions' to get your character up to snuff if it's not already. Some are already 'good' while others need a 'push' to meet the bar that has been raised. Mechanics will be reviewed for error but those found may be corrected after recruitment, as it isn't necessarily important right now.
    Explained that prior to putting up reviews. Means it needs a kick in the arse to meet the standard.

6. - Top - End - #336

Would changing her age at the time of the explosion to 14 work? Or should it be closer to 11-12?
    Just my two cents on this, her being 11 would for sure work better. Myself i probably would have made her 8 or something, easier to brainwash a child the younger they are.

7. - Top - End - #337

Thanks for the feedback. I have an idea to fill in the gaps, which involves a rewrite as opposed to an addition. Since Kayahn's parent's journals feature so heavily, and there are elements that are learned out of order, I'm trying out writing them as journal entries that tell the story. First her mother's, then her own, then more of her mothers that fill in some mysteries.

I should have them done today, if not I'll include what I have and a synopsis of what details are left to write out.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by forg99rules View Post
    Just my two cents on this, her being 11 would for sure work better. Myself i probably would have made her 8 or something, easier to brainwash a child the younger they are.
    Fair enough, but attention span and motor skills are also something to keep in mind.
    Chaotic Good, probably

9. - Top - End - #339
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Save the Animals
    Show
    Miryks's thoughts were forced back into the present by a bright flash of pain. His cramped hands cried out, but he could scarcely move them anymore. Time had lost all meaning in this place, and the only paths he could see before him led to a hole in the ground. His memories were the only place he could retreat to, and he found himself doing so constantly. What little life remained in him was fading. Miryks couldn't bear to face what he had become, so he surrendered himself to what he was.

The earliest memories were of the orphanage. From a young age, Miryks was a pariah among the children. His skin bore a subtle glint of bronze and his eyes seemed to reflect too much of the sunlight. It was... difficult to make friends so Miryks had to become a friend for himself. He grew to admire his skin and eyes, so different from the others. With this small feeling of self worth Miryks was no longer such an easy target for the other children, so they got the adults to target him too.

Food goes missing?
    "I saw Miryks eat it, miss!"
    Toy broken?
    "Miryks tried to keep it to himself and smashed it when I caught him, sir."

Miryks soon discovered the only way to avoid their ire was to avoid their sight. Anytime he could manage it, he spent his hours outside; only the worst of weather could keep him trapped indoors. His inner self, and only friend, now turned a cruel eye to the other children. They didn't understand how lucky he was to have his gifts, and how unlucky they were to have none. His bronze skin resisted scrapes and cuts. His luminescent eyes cut through the darkness with ease. This cruelty turned to apathy, as he convinced himself that the others must be lesser beings than he. Why else would he have these gifts while they had none?

Outside, still desperate to make a connection (any connection!), Miryks grew to understand the hierarchy of animals. They all followed the roles given to them, without fail. The rabbit did not curse the fox when it was eaten. It may fight being caught by the fox, it may even escape from time to time. But when it came down to it, the path was set. One day, the rabbit would be caught. Miryks began to wonder about his own path; was he a rabbit, or a fox?

A voice nearby brought him back, even without having to see the speaker. The Auspex was granting her choice to another lost soul. The answer must have been yes, because a voice answered back, strong and true. But- this was different. The second voice was familiar as well. Miryks forced his blistered eyes to open to what little light there was. Memories stirred and placed the voice. That man had been close to death; would have died had Miryks not been able to bring him back. An indignant thought crossed Miryk's mind before he fled to his memories once more. That wretch had the strength to survive this place?

The memories of the orphanage flew past his sight, slowing only when Miryks had left them for good. His disdain for them had only grown, and he had a tough time hiding it effectively. On the streets, though, most he met seemed to be itching for a fight. If Miryks so much as looked sideways at the wrong person, daggers would come flying into hands from hidden sheaths, and send him flying faster still away. Like it or not, he was a rabbit in this world, and had to accept the path this meant. He kept his thoughts closely guarded, ensured that they no longer reached his face so easily. He was able to meet every pair of eyes as an equal, careful to not show his contempt for them, and radiating a confidence that was unusual for a teen on his own.

Rabbits do not last long on their own in the wild, no matter how gifted. Miryks joined up with a pack of other street teens, strength in numbers being their only common bond, and through them learned how to survive. As the newest member, they saddled him with the "worst" of tasks: cooking. The others found sport in thieving and mugging, but Miryks didn't mind not participating in these tasks. It was all a part of this path, and it was his to accept. Miryks relished the chance to prepare an animal, on the rare occasion the others were able to acquire one. Despite their differences outside, the inside of these creatures remained remarkably similar. Organs, skeletons, muscle, tissue, it didn't seem to matter. Everything was in its place once he opened them up.

The Auspex's voice forced his mind back into his broken body, closer this time, but still not for him. It was unusual to have another called upon so soon, but not unheard of; there must be something specific to throw so many bodies at. Another creature saved from this perpetual hell, and that person was not him. Miryks would have given himself over to despair, but for one small voice inside him, almost forgotten, but never far. "If they can walk this path from end to end, so can you."

One of the other teens had eventually stolen something that belonged to someone with both the will and the capability to come and claim it back. Loud shouts, much deeper than usual, erupted in the alleyway they called their home. Angry voices demanded that which was taken, trembling voices answered back that they didn't have it. Miryks recognized the truth and stood up among the frightened rabbits, addressing the foxes that had caught them in their warren. With a gesture, he identified the transgressor. Skeptical, the men took them both to their hideout to find the truth of the matter. The other teen tried to protest his innocence, but his words faltered once he saw the look on Miryk's face. A new path had been laid before Miryk's feet, and he wanted to believe he was ready to accept its burden. Turning to the men, his words came forth strong and true: "I can make him tell you the truth."

Pain was the Great Motivator. It was the body telling the mind that something was wrong, and needed to be corrected. Miryks's time with the animals was proof of that. The prey that lived longest were the ones that bore the scars of earlier lessons. Pain had visited them and they learned from the experience. For people, guile, ego, malaise and dishonesty vanished. They were all dashed upon the rocks of pain until only the truth was left, whatever that may mean. The future lost its meaning, and their selves were abandoned to the all consuming thought of relieving this torment.

At the sight of the knife, the teen's truth sang forth without need for further convincing, but the men wouldn't hear of it. Whether they didn't believe the teen, or were simply out for blood, they demanded proof. Miryks felt sick inside, but steeled his nerves. This wasn't a person in front of him, but an animal, and all animals were built the same way. Miryks took a deep breath, and took his first step down this path.

Pain dragged him back to awareness, and the Auspex's voice carried through the air. More recruitment, and each time a decaying shell rose with renewed vigor and purpose. Despair dogged him, but the voice inside Miryks grew louder, reminding him of his accomplishments. Success colored his life, which was something this place could not take away from him. This time, it was the pain that guided his thoughts to the past, and to his purpose.

No matter his confidence or ability, people were built differently than animals. Miryks fought down the bile that rose in his throat and drew forth the truth that was demanded. Afterward, the teen was thrown outside; the men believed his injuries would claim him soon, but Miryks knew better. Through the blood, through the pain, no lasting damage was done. If the rabbit could scurry back to its warren fast enough, he may yet survive. As for Miryks, his path remained here, in the fox's den.

The men there gave him a wide birth from the start. Those that hadn't been there were told in hushed tones of the youth who dared to match his words with deeds and blood. Miryks was only approached when a new opportunity arose to seek the truth. His technique grew rapidly, as did the tools he had at his disposal. Each new triumph sharpened his skills further, and broadened his apathy for those around him. Years later, Miryks craft was becoming his masterpiece. The men who had once appeared to him as foxes were now reveled to be rabbits with slightly sharper teeth.

The years had spread word of Miryk's prowess, and canvasses were always being offered from one group or another. Finally, he accepted one. Though the men he lived with might have wanted to protest him leaving, none of them had the will to stand up to him. They had all heard the screams, and none of them wanted to add their own voice to the composition.

Decades soon blurred together in Miryk's mind once more. This was the prime of his life, the pinnacle of his craft. Faces melted into one another, only linked by the crimson red of his expert strokes. He was a force to be reckoned with, a tempest among raindrops. How had this gone so wrong? Who was to blame?

The faint clink of a key in a lock brought Miryks out of his reverie. Pain threatened to sever his concentration on the past, and he almost lost himself to that abyss. His dulled vision almost didn't register the Auspex standing before him, his ruined senses barely able to divine what this meant. His cracked eyes shot open wide as he understood what this meant. He nodded slowly, feeling his ruined skin crack and tear, before an influx of life shot through his limbs. It didn't matter what the task was, only that the path had changed. So many others had made it through, and it was only right that Miryks did as well.

As he was allowed to collect his belongings, a small miracle they were still his to claim, Miryks considered the path that now lay behind him and the steps that led to where he now stood. He had joined the Cotton Club out of hubris, he could see that now. Miryks thought he could use the organization to develop his Potential, and strike out on a new path at a time of his choosing; he naivete was almost laughable. He had allowed himself to soar too close to the sun, and his melting wings could only be blamed on himself. The drive to improve his ability and skills were still there, but it was not alone. Whether he chose to admit it or not, seeing the others freed of this place helped him find the strength to survive as well. Whatever tasks were laid before him, if others survived, then he would as well. Anything the others could take, he could take, even if it meant him stepping in to make sure they survived.

Because, really, what was a fox with no rabbits?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So I'm the Satipo to your Dr. Jones, Jr.?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    The start is a pretty good starting point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Under my leadership, the Illuminati immediately emerged victorious.

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #340

I may have underestimated the amount of time required to write out the story journal-style. That said, like 80% completed! I've updated my sheet with what I have, and will be finishing it up tomorrow.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

I'm giving til tomorrow for any pending corrections/additions since there doesn't appear to be anyone still in the drafting phase. I'll be posting the first group of selections below, who will be filling the northern cell block. There's only 4 spaces for players in this block which is conveniently a fair size for the first batch. I'll be posting the next batch for the southern cell block Monday night. There's a few more slots in this next block but i'm likely only selecting about 4 more submissions, pending what I have in-hand by around this time tomorrow. Remarkable exceptions in excess of this may get queued in, but for now I'm waiting to see what last minute bits hit between the present and Monday. So don't wait too long to send in what you have, or you may get left in the dust.

GROUP 1 - Northern Cell Block, F3

Character Player Detail
    Faux Paw the Magnificent
    Triskavanski
    He's a thief, he's a fox, and he's re-rolling. Not much to add here.
    Kazik
    Chromascope3D
    The guy in the mask hanging from the ceiling of his cell.
    It's anyone's guess how such a wretched a creature will fair in the changed world, or what awaits him. Perhaps he truly belongs in his hole, but now the beast is free. Men and devils both wait in silence to see what consequence his actions might bring.
    Erik Ragnok
    Stevesciguy
    Laying in dark and decay, he plots the rebirth of civilization.
    They may have broken his body, but they did not break his will. His suffering, and the suffering of those who once followed him were nothing more than another bad story in an endless list of bad stories. The madness had to end; and he would be the one to end it. Or so he believed.
    Walt Kincaid
    Toptomcat
    He had laid countless snares, and now it was he who was entrapped.
    The true cage wasn't the one around him, nor the ones that men built within themselves. Not the chaos, not the burnings; it was the truth. The ever elusive truth. Without it, not even time could tell just where was forward and where was back. It was ripping the world apart at its roots; his world, all worlds. He didn't know if he could stop it alone. The only thing which he knew for certain, was that he was done rotting in the cage.
    Last edited by Mornings; 2019-03-10 at 11:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342

Or so he believed.
    That sounds ominous

Hooray! I was picked! Thank you very much Excited to get into the game

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: does it cost 4x to create magic items yourself that provide food/water?
    Chaotic Good, probably

14. - Top - End - #344

Have you ever gone back over what you wrote the other day and hate most of it? I feel like I should be following my character's mother instead of my character. Granted I'm conveying a growth over years, and haven't gotten to the part where Kayahn starts to come into her own, but blarg.

I'm gonna drop out of the running and just read the adventure, and try coming at this character from another angle some other time.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lokyar View Post
    Have you ever gone back over what you wrote the other day and hate most of it? I feel like I should be following my character's mother instead of my character. Granted I'm conveying a growth over years, and haven't gotten to the part where Kayahn starts to come into her own, but blarg.

I'm gonna drop out of the running and just read the adventure, and try coming at this character from another angle some other time.
    It happens, but you might come out with something even better when you go back to the drawing board. Send me a pm later when you have something you're happy with.

Question: does it cost 4x to create magic items yourself that provide food/water?
    Yup. The cost multipliers apply for survival items and healing items be they purchased or made.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent! I finally finished up my gear, I think, so I'm ready, I think.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-03-11 at 02:33 PM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

17. - Top - End - #347

Hmmm. A placeholder, a sadomasochistic nutcase, a would-be conquerer, and lil' ol' me. That will be interesting.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not really so much a placeholder.

Faux Paw is that kinda plucky thief who steals things more for what he thinks is a good cause rather than just because stealing things makes him rich.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

19. - Top - End - #349
    Dwarf in the Playground

Try as I may I cant seem to connect with Ise and create a story. I've been trying to write anything for a week and have been road blocked every time. I believe I'm going to withdraw my submission and wish all of you the best of luck.

20. - Top - End - #350

Probably getting ahead of myself, but how would we do mass combat? Would we do it as written in Ultimate Campaign?

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    I'm not really so much a placeholder.
    Oops. I thought 're-rolling' meant you were undergoing a substantial last-minute character revamp, since the sheet is referred to as 'incomplete' on the first page. It's a reference to reroll mechanics you picked up with Freelancer JP? Kind of tough to grok the central mechanical gimmicks of a Freelancer at first glance, given the build-a-bear approach it takes to class features.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2019-03-11 at 08:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352

Quote Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
    Oh, I get it now. I thought 're-rolling' meant you were undergoing a substantial last-minute character revamp, since the sheet is referred to as 'incomplete' on the first page. It's a reference to reroll mechanics you picked up with Freelancer JP? Kind of tough to grok the central mechanical gimmicks of a Freelancer at first glance, given the build-a-bear approach it takes to class features.
    No, they were already in the game, and for some reason needed to build a new character. Presumably they were either:

• Unhappy with their previous character
    • Rebuilding their character to better fit their fluff
    • Died

And are building a new character from scratch
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-03-11 at 08:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Aye, my previous character was a support dude, and all the people who he was suppose to support left the game. The new dude is designed to avoid that issue.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Probably getting ahead of myself, but how would we do mass combat? Would we do it as written in Ultimate Campaign?
    Largely depends what all is in play at the time. In theory, if there were organized regular forces being controlled, then more or less, it would play out as written. However, the likelihood of assembling traditional combatants and throwing them at each other in a somewhat organized manner is close to nonexistent initially. As stated previously throughout the summery, combat has changed radically. People don't meet each other in a field, and major opposing forces don't agree to terms or declarations of war, in a conventional sense. That's archaic. Enemies are struck down in the same merciless fashion the Cotton Club has displayed; quickly, and from a distance, before the problem can spread.

Most seats of power are forced to consign irregulars into their ranks from militant or mercenary companies, as the struggle to survive the Long Night has crippled most of the standard forces. Urban warfare through the streets of major cities after spending significant time and effort to thoroughly infiltrate the populace has been known to occur. Though that is a rare case, as simply employing Offworlders to assassinate an enemy leader, or detonating an entire fortification with semtex, will promptly resolve a dispute with far less effort. Those who currently hold power after the near-apocalypse do so for good reason, and deal with opposition in a swift and effective manner. Eliminating enemies with sudden and violent force before they take note of you is the wisest method to achieve major victories.

Unlikely there will be 'mass combat', but instead multiple smaller groups of combatants, unless the players significantly change the state of the world.

Doesn't really matter right now though.
    Just staying alive should come first.

Quote Originally Posted by Nishai View Post
    Try as I may I cant seem to connect with Ise and create a story. I've been trying to write anything for a week and have been road blocked every time. I believe I'm going to withdraw my submission and wish all of you the best of luck.
    No problem. If you end up hitting a creative spark for a character that could function in-setting, then feel free to shoot me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Aye, my previous character was a support dude, and all the people who he was suppose to support left the game. The new dude is designed to avoid that issue.
    Indeed. Well, more like left OOTS completely, rather than the game lol
    The other guys don't count

25. - Top - End - #355

I like Johannes, so I'll attempt to rebuild his backstory from the ground up (for coherence and stuff). I recall you mentioning there being ways to qualify for the higher level item creation feats, would you mind pointing me towards those or otherwise elaborating?
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356

Largely depends what all is in play at the time. In theory, if there were organized regular forces being controlled, then more or less, it would play out as written. However, the likelihood of assembling traditional combatants and throwing them at each other in a somewhat organized manner is close to nonexistent initially. As stated previously throughout the summery, combat has changed radically. People don't meet each other in a field, and major opposing forces don't agree to terms or declarations of war, in a conventional sense. That's archaic. Enemies are struck down in the same merciless fashion the Cotton Club has displayed; quickly, and from a distance, before the problem can spread.

Most seats of power are forced to consign irregulars into their ranks from militant or mercenary companies, as the struggle to survive the Long Night has crippled most of the standard forces. Urban warfare through the streets of major cities after spending significant time and effort to thoroughly infiltrate the populace has been known to occur. Though that is a rare case, as simply employing Offworlders to assassinate an enemy leader, or detonating an entire fortification with semtex, will promptly resolve a dispute with far less effort. Those who currently hold power after the near-apocalypse do so for good reason, and deal with opposition in a swift and effective manner. Eliminating enemies with sudden and violent force before they take note of you is the wisest method to achieve major victories.

Unlikely there will be 'mass combat', but instead multiple smaller groups of combatants, unless the players significantly change the state of the world.

Doesn't really matter right now though.
    Just staying alive should come first.
    Oh yeah, was mostly just asking to see if I should swap some skill points into Profession(Soldier) real quick. Also to see if I should start reading up on historical hit-and-run strategies

Although, if we're going that way, maybe I should move things around a bit so Erik could actually ride a horse at some point...

What is semtex?
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-03-11 at 09:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Plastic explosive.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed. Well, more like left OOTS completely, rather than the game lol
    The other guys don't count
    Yeah. This guy though has the power of money to help him through somethings. Got all kinds of scrolls for helping out with various aspects of life.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Ran late trying to complete selections. Will have to put up the final lineup tomorrow.
    People wanting to be considered for a later submission or reworks can pm me, but I can't really gauge how many and/or when additional players can fit in until everything starts rolling.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, okay. That took me awhile to settle up how I wanted to do this.

Below is Group 2 for the southern cell block. It ended up smaller than I thought, but that's fine. While the initial opening has some safety rails before throwing you head first into the deep-end, it's still worth giving you fair warning for the immediate future:

If you have no mundane solutions to problems, you're going to have a bad time. Rule #1 on the houserules is not just for show; in many extremely dangerous areas magic can be unstable, may not function properly, or function at all, amongst other crippling effects. While you can acquire means to mitigate that, you're not walking out the gate with such resources. In tainted land the state of the entire effected area is anyone's guess. Those who venture into these places regularly do so with unique contingencies to better their odds of survival after rigorous planning, while those who intrude upon such dangerous territories without any preparation, or tools, rarely return. It's always in your interest to pack simple things like daggers, a bow, maybe a grapple; general purpose items to use when magic or Su abilities start to become unreliable. If you plan on exploring the darker reaches of the world more regularly, you'll start to bring more specific and niche equipment in tow. In the beginning, even very weak enemies can become extremely dangerous, if you only have unstable abilities to defend yourself with.

Group 2 - Southern Cell Block, F3

Character Player Detail
    Regina Carnem
    Deadguy
    Rotting on the floor of her cell hadn't been a complete waste, but now she had other experiments to conduct.
    Even death was merely a condition. A disease. One she aimed to cure. The fault was simply in these frail, feeble, imperfect bodies. Somewhere the secret lay; clues scattered through the forms of an array of creatures. It would be difficult, and arduous, but she would find those secrets and rip them out from the miserly clenched fist of the world. If only she had understood the price that knowledge would demand.
    Miryks
    flat_footed
    Time had almost broken him, but he could not relent while others still preserved.
    The sheep say that prison exists to 'reform' the man, the evil man, the wicked man. Reform might have been a strong word, but in the darkness, in the deathly quiet, he had time to think. Time to reflect. Refining his skills and seeking out more corners of the 'canvas' he had yet to paint upon had been his only desire for so long. Yet, now that fire had dimmed, and it's heat could no longer warm his heart. He had no true ire to be delivered to the Club. Instead, in its place, was the longing. The longing for the violent and sudden change. Something to fill the hole left unfulfilled inside, the connection he could never make his own. The dumbing stasis of his existence had made him aware of that dissatisfaction. It was a far cry from being reformed, but then again, who would ever lend an ear to the prattling of sheep.
    Machari
    In4Dimensions
    One wretched fate after another seem to come crashing into her like, leaving her broken in more ways than one.
    Despite how much she desired to discard it, the wheel of death could not be so easily put aside. Nor could she be allowed to grow and move-on while she carried that burden. It was a vicious, endless cycle. What would it take to change her reality? What would it take to break the wheel, and find that life which she could live free? That had been the question long before she found the interior of the cell which had stolen her humanity. A question which beckoned what colors were the sky in a world without this death, a world without this pain; without this darkness.

If you're in this group, congratulations. You didn't catch the boat, but you'll get a chance to try to paddle your way up. These characters are in the 'close-but-not-quite', third-category; where I feel you've put in real effort and maybe done the most you could in regard to putting pen to paper. The rest comes from how you actually play your character. So you'll have your chance to jump in, but unfortunately you don't get any 'easy mode' tutorial. You'll have to catch up to that party train on your own. This is the real deal, gentlemen. Even despite the low CR of the actual zone, as everyone is starting in a tainted region, this places you in extreme risk. As there's no hand-holding here, even quests will be no less than 'lethal' in their challenge category despite whatever they might be initiated as. You're going in cold to a trial-by-fire, effectively. Since you're full-in, it's going to be difficult. The amount of time you can physically survive exposure in these places is typically measured in rounds; and if you do manage to claw your way out, the potential to be afflicted with crippling lasting harm from curses, corruption, veilplague and worse, can leave you just as good as dead. Though nothing is entirely incurable, the search for such a cure might bring you much further than you anticipated.

Some characters's stories have brought them into such areas before, perhaps skirting the edge, or delving with a group; this isn't something done spontaneously. The world is twisted in these places, and is often fractured and segmented with its own unique rules that differ from section to section. There are significant visible differences from area to area, and paying close attention when transitioning between these spaces will be very important. Perhaps on floor 2 magic is nonexistent, and on floor 1 you begin to rapidly age. Perhaps behind the door somewhere on floor 3 none of the previous effects are active, but spells with the 'good descriptor' throw you through a rift. Gales that do plan expeditions into tainted land band together, spending extensive time researching and developing strategy a little at a time, to map out a seemingly survivable route long before they dive. A luxury you don't have. You'll need to be quick and take decisive actions. There's a real possibility no one goes home. Sometimes taking a chance can pay off; luck can tip the scale, or end up making things go all fun-house-mirror on you. Not all risks are intelligent, not all risks are acceptable, but sometimes luck can potentially shortcut you out of a bad situation. Though, as has been more common, you might find yourself out of the frying pan and into the freezer. If you can pull through here, then your future is looking pretty bright. Godspeed.

Others - The Weeping Room, F4

Character Player Detail
    Loimi Vaeltaja
    Forg99rules
    Perhaps it was the end of a path, the closing of the book upon the last chapter of his own story. From his place shackled to the cold steel of the table which so many others had breathed their last, the future looked grim.
    Varag Chalk
    Ancient
    Maybe he deserved this pain, this agony for all that he had done. He had made this hell from the moment he drove his blade through the heart of those he once treasured. He butchered them. They trusted him. Yet still he lived, buried in his hole, drowning in hopelessness.

For those of you that didn't make it into Group 2, or even the 'Others' category, something significant was either missing or required further polish. Those that want to finish their characters, rework/rewrite etc can pm me. Significant applications may be queued. Maybe it'll be beneficial letting others navigate the chaos in the beginning and queuing in after the initial madness is settled, but I guess we'll find out.

For those of you that are in, the OOC is here.
    Go pick your colors. Obviously the color used by Stella and Alicia are already reserved. (It's like purple, or whatever.)

This opening has more violence and combat than there's ever been in the entire game thus far, and in a rather short span of time. It should be fairly interesting to see how it all unfolds, and give character's a better grasp of both the world, and how twisted reality is becoming as it rots from the inside-out. It may be exactly what some characters need to experience to make them reevaluate their objectives and assess where they truly stand in it all. See you on the other side.