Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [PF] Prologue to the End - (Open to New Interest)

A few questions for you Mornings:

The Medic archetype contains an ability keyed off Glory Rogue being added to the Rogue chassis. Is Glory Rogue acceptable?
    Spoiler
    Show

Surgical Precision (Ex)

Whenever a medic is in a situation where he would normally be granted a sneak attack, he instead gains a +1 bonus to his attack rolls for every odd rogue level he possesses, to a maximum of +10 at 19th level. Any feats or rogue talents that affects sneak attack instead affects surgical precision. Count the medic’s to-hit bonus from surgical precision as the number of sneak attack dice he possesses when calculating effects dependent on sneak attack dice. If the medic gains sneak attack dice from another source, add the to-hit bonus from surgical precision and the number of sneak attack dice he possess together when determining the effects of his sneak attack and the effects of abilities that alter sneak attack.

This replaces ambush. If not playing with the added ambush class feature (See Glory Rogue), then the medic instead gains 2 fewer skill points per level.
    Ambush (Ex)

Starting at 3rd level, a rogue may designate one of her attacks during a surprise round as an ambush. If this attack hits and deals sneak attack damage, it deals an amount of extra precision damage equal to the rogue’s class level.

In addition, a target damaged by an ambush must make a Fortitude save against a DC of 10 + half the rogue’s level + the rogue’s Dexterity modifier. If the target fails this save, she becomes sickened for 1d4+1 rounds. As a rogue gains levels, she may change the effect bestowed when the target fails this saving throw. At 8th level, the rogue may choose to make her target staggered. At 13th level, the rogue may make the target nauseated. At 18th level, the rogue may stun the target. All effects last for 1d4+1 rounds.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2019-03-07 at 02:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So I'm the Satipo to your Dr. Jones, Jr.?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    The start is a pretty good starting point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Under my leadership, the Illuminati immediately emerged victorious.

Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    Another question for you Mornings:

The Medic archetype contains an ability keyed off Glory Rogue being added to the Rogue chassis. Is Glory Rogue acceptable?
    That's fine, go for it.

Luckbringer is good to go. One of my favorite classes actually lol

Edit: Luckbringer abilities are kinda screwy as Scorned slots, but since they're expending a use from their resource pools as a 'free action' it may be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    I have a sort-of-backstory! It's told in first person. When Erik refers to "the Dream" he's referring to the time he spent cursed in the sanitarium. Don't have a particular reason why, it just felt appropriate.

Feedback is appreciated let me know what you guys think/if I should change anything. I feel like I could've had better transitions, but I wasn't sure how to go about it :/

Also, questions for @Mornings: I have an ability that lets me cast spells in light armor(upgrading to medium at 6th). Mithril makes armor count as one category lighter for some purposes. Would armor such as a Mithril breastplate allow me to cast spells with no ASF, or would I still take the penalty? I tried looking it up, but I mostly just got long threads of people arguing about it

No ASF

There's a feat that grants me extra job Points. Am I allowed to take this?(I ask because I can see how it'd be very strong). Also, if I take the feat at first level, can I apply the points towards things I can only buy at first level (specifically, I was thinking armor and weapon proficiencies, as currently I've used all my leftover points to get extra skill points each level, and will need to spend feats to gain those proficiencies)

It's already approved and in use by close to half the submissions

Does anyone know where I could get fear immunity? I looked at paladin at first, but my character isn't Good, so that's out, and I can't find anywhere else

Edit: wow, some of these feats on ffd20 seem... really strong. I could wear full plate and have -1 ACP, and cast spells while wearing it without ASF with only a couple feats

I've been pretty busy with the flood of pms, game prep and general life stuff, so I haven't gotten a chance to dig in deep on a lot of the information being thrown at me. However, I can say with some degree of satisfaction, that despite the bar being raised on the level of character development, those expectations have been met - and exceeded. Due to the extremely unorthodox nature of the game and the value being placed on thematics vs mechanics - effectively flipping the norm on its head, I honestly didn't expect this many applications. Or at the least, figured more people would drop off.

Fortunately, this particular game isn't a railroaded AP, or a setting with a locked-in party; it's a sandbox, and while it can persist with just one player, it's intended for new groups to come in and fight through the chaos left in the wake of a collapsing multiverse, and struggle through the confusion to establish stability in a reality they can accept - or alternatively, choose to face much greater threats despite the implications of what it might mean sacrificing.

So towards that end, I'll likely be staggering in additional players at different rates, as to not over-clutter the IC all at once - most of the game has gone on as three separate IC perspectives just with 6'ish people. It's far from unmanageable as long as players are more-or-less queued up to enter before-hand, so I don't get swamped at awkward times. Also, if we're being honest, some character's couldn't spell 'caution' with a dictionary in-hand; people are going to die. In the event you do end up getting killed, you're free to roll up a new character, but if there's anyone waiting to join - be it from death, or otherwise, they'll have priority. Don't get it twisted though, this isn't a, 'everyone gets to play, yay!' type of deal. Far from it. My standards are high. If I feel you've met or exceeded those challenges I've thrown down throughout this recruitment, then I want you in-game, plain and simple. The nature of the medium just happens to allow for some leeway in that regard. The 'box' needs player characters that can achieve that level of quality and write their stories in the world.

So, towards that end, I can allow some flexibility with time to complete your submission, but waiting around is going to push you back with any 'queued' players, if you make the cut. It's important to get as close to complete as possible in a timely manner.

And for those of you who might be curious, players that are chosen to be staggered in; or 'queued', for lack of a better term. They are not alternates. You're not waiting for someone to drop, or get merked. I'll be pulling PCs in once I reach a point where I can de-conflict their opening with high time-investment periods of other players, such as combat and more sophisticated world-bending bits. I don't imagine the additional player slots allocated in this fashion will be very many, but it would be a pleasant surprise if that number increased. Fortunately traditional encounters are something of a rarity outside of the more 'scripted' (term used loosely) opening, which is a godsend for running a game of this particular scope and scale.

I'll be closing the recruitment to new interest on the 8th, and will allow players to work on refining concepts and providing feedback as I work my way down the list, and begin reviewing submissions. Concept refinement notwithstanding, there's typically a rather clear 'line in the sand' for most characters if they've met the standard or not. The few exceptions which might need a small push to reach that level will also come to light during this time, but shouldn't detract from the selection deadline. I expect to have the final cutoff for players Monday night, or potentially a bit earlier if I somehow crush through reading/re-reading all of these sheets and google docs.

If you've posted something up for feedback, or sent me one of the 40-something messages in my inbox, I'll get back to you once I have a free moment.
    Last edited by Mornings; 2019-03-07 at 02:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Flat footed, your inbox is full. Those abilities may be taken.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone know where I could get fear immunity? I looked at paladin at first, but my character isn't Good, so that's out, and I can't find anywhere else
    Ghost Rider Cavalier gets Fear Immunity at 3rd level.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Need to figure out my gear overall for a character that is a phantom thief.

So far I've got gloves of sneaking that give a +10 to my sleight of hand, due to a feature, I can use sleight of hand in place of a Steal combat maneuver. (I can bump this further by adding more bonuses to
    a belt that gives +5 to perform dance (because that is also my acrobatics skill)
    Acrobat's slippers to be able to do acrobatics without losing AC.

What I'm looking for is more items that allow me to do things like disguise, steal, sneak, throw playing cards, and most importantly run away.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh! I still need to finish his gear.

Do Grandmaster Healer's kits still get expended after 10 uses?

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Oh! I still need to finish his gear.

Do Grandmaster Healer's kits still get expended after 10 uses?
    Hm, I'll say that each tier of new tool adds 5 additional uses more than the previous for healer kits.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    What I'm looking for is more items that allow me to do things like disguise, steal, sneak, throw playing cards, and most importantly run away.
    Before getting into items, as a fellow mid-range freelancer, I've got a few things you might be interested in if this is the path you're walking. If you already know some of these, or you have better versions, then apologies. There are some features you have I can't seem to find.
    Spoiler: Features
    Show
    If 'Versatile Dance' is Versatile Performance (Bard) using Dance, there's an easier way. Agile Dancer trait uses Perform(Dance) as Acrobatics, and uses the higher of Dex or Cha as it's modifier. Unless I'm missing something your Clever Wordplay trait is actually lowering your Dance modifier, so you could swap them for immediate gain.

I don't see how you're converting cards into darts (if this is a reflavor thing then disregard) but there's a Talent for it. Card Sharp to gain Deadly Dealer without the normal spellcasting and arcane strike prerequisites. Or you could even dive into the full line with a spell-granting trait (Self-Sustaining or Alluring won't interfere with other traits I see, and the latter even has a situational diplomacy bonus) to qualify for Arcane Strike.

Normally I would say Weapon Master's Weapon Training feature is superior to PBS, except that in this campaign you get Precise Shot rolled into it. But since they stack I will still bring it up as a lead-in to something you can qualify for later that I couldn't, because of your Full BAB, since you were looking for things to augment stealing. It may take some rebalancing to fit the prereqs at Lv6 though. Ranged Disarm lets you disarm at range at a -2, and Ace Disarm removes the penalty and adds steal as an option. Ricochet Toss completes the combo by having the item come back to you.

Just realized while writing this post that you have an AC Bonus, which I assume to mean some variant of the Monk AC bonus, thus why you aren't wearing armor. This invalidates the following idea but I figured I'd leave it for completion's sake in case it can benefit anyone else.
    Spoiler: Invalid Features
    Show
    Hawkguard's Archer Training is PBS plus the ability to benefit from an off-hand buckler even when that arm is in use by your ranged weapon, 10JP which is an easy feat swap for you. Could open up TWF potential, or just keep your main hand free for other things and always throw from your buckler'd hand.

And now for those items!
    Spoiler: Items
    Show
    Dancers Garb is the MW Tool equivalant for Perform(Dance) and fits quite well as your dashing coat and cape.

Not everything can be disarmed, and the major downfall of the ranged trickster is a lack of per-hit damage considering how expensive it is to enchant thrown items. Enter the FF Magic Rings! 4k gp, add 1d6 damage of an element of your choice to all melee and ranged!

Want Skill Focus but can't afford the feat slot? Skill Materia to the rescue! Note: Requires a +1 item to attach to before granting benefit.

One big recommendation would be to make use of that Scribe Scrolls feat you have. The one you've chosen seems to lift the spell prereqs on scribing scrolls altogether so go nuts in the illusion and transmutation field for your situational control and evasion spells.

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by Mornings View Post
    Could be neat, depends on the delivery.

Eater of Souls Style - Approved, with the caveat that i'm removing the 'special' column from this feat.
    Childe of Blood‘s Path - Approved
    Beast of Blood's Path - Approved, with the caveat that I may write or replace the listed Blood Curse results.

You probably aren't getting the other dhampir feats, as feats, but that doesn't mean they would be inaccessible.

Keeper of the Obsidian Smile - Oh? Take out the entire 'special' section. Take out the entire 'Campaign Notes' section too. It's not constructed by Charon. Pharasma doesn't care. You have no idea what you're holding, and I rewrote the Nemesis mechanics.

Now explain to me why you'd have it.

@Mornings-

Here's my stab at that question.

Spoiler: The Dagger
    Show

Dario's head swam as the cultists continued to chant their litany of nonsense words. Dario shook it as gently as he could, then tested his bonds again. No good, they used some good chains for these. No blood on them, even dried, so I can't move them even a little bit. Can't get my head to either of my wrists, so I can't free a hand to get me out.

This is not going to be pleasant.

He looked around the dank room, at the runes which swam in his sight, glowing an eldritch cross between an eerie green and a fresh blood red, teasing him with the fact that somehow due to their preparations, he couldn't rip the blood from their veins and use their souls to fuel his vengeance against them.

The lead cultist raised a dagger that just looked....wrong in the light. It was both red and black, dripping wet and bone dry, clearly defined and vague all at the same time.

The dagger's edge occupied his full attention, considering the hunched, decrepit, and obviously rotting woman holding it clear intention to bring it down into his heart.

How does it manage to swim in my sight, as though there were mist in the way of seeing it, despite me being able to firmly watch the edge?

He squints, as the chanting grows louder.

No good. Still can't tell the color of it, even just at the edge. The design suggests obsidian, from what I can tell, but I've never seen any obsidian that color before.

It finally sunk in.

I'm going to die. In a rotting basement. In Riddleport of all places.

I always hated this city. Now I know why.

The chanting somehow grows even louder.

Dario grimaced as the words, whatever they were started to hurt his ears.

You'd think they would've left on the earplugs and bag when they did this.

Actually, that gives me an idea....

Dario started singing. Loudly. Off-key. And the bawdiest Ustalavian drinking ballads he could remember from his childhood.

He closed his eyes, not wanting to see the end when it finally drove itself home in his breastbone.

He was five songs into his limited repertoire before he realized that he couldn't hear anything else but echoes of him singing. No chanting, no conversation, and after a small pause to listen, not even breathing.

Dario slowly cracked his eyelids, praying to whatever god might be listening that he was safe.

The runes were faded and empty of light, the room dingy as before the apparent ritual had started, and there was a truly disturbing, to anyone else, amount of blood splashed everywhere.

He leaned up more and coaxed some of the blood off the walls, noticing how strangely...inert it felt to his senses.

Managing to use it to manipulate the tumblers of the chains' locks, Dario set up and very carefully did NOT question his good fortune. Rubbing his hands to calm his nerves, he can't help but notice a small incision in the skin of his wrist. So very slight, and just shy of drawing blood, but a definite knife cut. Looking over the table that he had been chained to, he noticed a small dagger lying there where his wrist had been chained. It took a gouge out of the table, but was lying there abandoned, looking like it had been dropped.

As he stared at the obsidian dagger, he didn't connect it with the one that just a minute ago had been dangled above his head with unsavory purpose. Dario, for some reason, couldn't connect the cultists' dagger, the squamous and bilious thing that it was, with this one, which was just blackened obsidian with possibly some whetting and sharpening on the edges.

Shrugging at his good fortune, he grabbed the dagger and wrapped it in a tattered rag of his formerly best party clothes, just wrapped enough for it to count as sheathed.

Huh, free knife. Looks like everything's going my way.

He most certainly didn't notice the slight red tinge to the obsidian that peeked through the wrapping, a tinge that hadn't been there before....

(Tried to keep it vague enough for you to work with. My personal leaning is Zura cultists, but you're the DM, so make of this what you will. This work for you?)

Just out of curiosity, for possible future characters for this setting, what is the status of Thassilon's part of history? Completely erased, Golarion standard, or something in between? (This includes the status of New Thassilon, which is detailed at the end of Return of the Runelords.)

Also, one more question. Childe of Blood's Path sets my Con to 4 higher when calculating kineticist DC's. Dark Elementalist sets my Intelligence as the appropriate ability score for that, and Elemental Ascetic sets it to Wisdom. While Eater of Souls Style specifies that I can use either of the latter, as I wish, to do so, would I treat the appropriate ability score as 4 higher, or is that only if I don't use either archetype?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lokyar View Post
    Before getting into items, as a fellow mid-range freelancer, I've got a few things you might be interested in if this is the path you're walking. If you already know some of these, or you have better versions, then apologies. There are some features you have I can't seem to find.
    Spoiler: Features
    Show
    If 'Versatile Dance' is Versatile Performance (Bard) using Dance, there's an easier way. Agile Dancer trait uses Perform(Dance) as Acrobatics, and uses the higher of Dex or Cha as it's modifier. Unless I'm missing something your Clever Wordplay trait is actually lowering your Dance modifier, so you could swap them for immediate gain.

I don't see how you're converting cards into darts (if this is a reflavor thing then disregard) but there's a Talent for it. Card Sharp to gain Deadly Dealer without the normal spellcasting and arcane strike prerequisites. Or you could even dive into the full line with a spell-granting trait (Self-Sustaining or Alluring won't interfere with other traits I see, and the latter even has a situational diplomacy bonus) to qualify for Arcane Strike.

Normally I would say Weapon Master's Weapon Training feature is superior to PBS, except that in this campaign you get Precise Shot rolled into it. But since they stack I will still bring it up as a lead-in to something you can qualify for later that I couldn't, because of your Full BAB, since you were looking for things to augment stealing. It may take some rebalancing to fit the prereqs at Lv6 though. Ranged Disarm lets you disarm at range at a -2, and Ace Disarm removes the penalty and adds steal as an option. Ricochet Toss completes the combo by having the item come back to you.

Just realized while writing this post that you have an AC Bonus, which I assume to mean some variant of the Monk AC bonus, thus why you aren't wearing armor. This invalidates the following idea but I figured I'd leave it for completion's sake in case it can benefit anyone else.
    Spoiler: Invalid Features
    Show
    Hawkguard's Archer Training is PBS plus the ability to benefit from an off-hand buckler even when that arm is in use by your ranged weapon, 10JP which is an easy feat swap for you. Could open up TWF potential, or just keep your main hand free for other things and always throw from your buckler'd hand.

And now for those items!
    Spoiler: Items
    Show
    Dancers Garb is the MW Tool equivalant for Perform(Dance) and fits quite well as your dashing coat and cape.

Not everything can be disarmed, and the major downfall of the ranged trickster is a lack of per-hit damage considering how expensive it is to enchant thrown items. Enter the FF Magic Rings! 4k gp, add 1d6 damage of an element of your choice to all melee and ranged!

Want Skill Focus but can't afford the feat slot? Skill Materia to the rescue! Note: Requires a +1 item to attach to before granting benefit.

One big recommendation would be to make use of that Scribe Scrolls feat you have. The one you've chosen seems to lift the spell prereqs on scribing scrolls altogether so go nuts in the illusion and transmutation field for your situational control and evasion spells.

Versatile Dance is actually from the Dancer. +1/2 class level to Dance checks, and it works for acrobatics.
    Cleverword play is both lowering and increasing it. By making it an int skill, it doesn't get as much cha at the start. But it becomes a class skill via the scholastic from fighter. And then the FF Bard gives me an aura that increases all Int skills by my cha mod. (Will also work for other people's int skills too.)

As far as Converting cards to darts, I skipped over the whole mess of using a swift action to temporary making cards into weapons as the FFd20 had something better, The Gambler who has the ability to use playing cards right out of the gate, that can be thrown even while using my swift action for other things.

PBS was originally picked up to lead to getting Rapid shot. As a card thrower, I don't do a lot of damage with a single card throw. I am wanting to go TWF as it pairs better with the FFninja, Though Warden does give me one of the things I was looking for which was PBS as a class feature, even if I'm not typically going to be using a buckler. (There are ways)

The items do look good however, Not sure how much I can do the rings yet, but yeah, I should pick up some of those scrolls.
    Last edited by Triskavanski; 2019-03-07 at 04:37 PM.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

11. - Top - End - #281

And then the FF Bard gives me an aura that increases all Int skills by my cha mod. (Will also work for other people's int skills too.)

Stand next to me.

STAND NEXT TO ME FOREVER!

Oh, side note, if you really want to super-charge your Int Skills (which, for you, is practically your Everything Skills), take a look at Visualization of the Mind. +5 enhancement bonus to all Int, Wis, or Cha skills chosen when performed. Throw in Blood Money and it becomes +5 to int skills for two spell slots, 1 hp, and 1 str damage each day. Side-Side-Note: Do you know any tricks to add these to the Black Mage's spell list? Cause I'd love to have this little ditty for Kayahn but the MP system works much better for her than Vancian. :D

As far as Converting cards to darts, I skipped over the whole mess of using a swift action to temporary making cards into weapons as the FFd20 had something better, The Gambler who has the ability to use playing cards right out of the gate, that can be thrown even while using my swift action for other things.
    Oh sweet. I never read very far into that class since it didn't really feel like a fit for Kayahn and there was already so much available to me.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually found these Healer's Gloves that also provide a +5 bonus to Heal checks for the same price. Would they also cost 3x their listed price, given that they're magical, or stay the same price since they only provide a skill bonus?

Edit: Same question for Vest of Surgery?
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-03-07 at 06:01 PM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

13. - Top - End - #283

Ghost Rider Cavalier gets Fear Immunity at 3rd level.
    Fantastic, thank you very much

@Mornings: if I purchase the armor training class feature, will Sash of the War Champion improve it for me, or no, because I'm not a fighter? Also, would I be able to replace the benefit improvements I'd normally get for being "7th Level" with an advanced armor training?

How do oracle revelations work with freelancer? Do I need to purchase the mystery the revelation is a part of in addition to the revelation I want, or can I just purchase the revelation by itself?

Edit: another question: I know that this is far from a combat oriented game, but for the characters that are more martial focused(such as my own), can we have an idea of where a decent to-hit or AC is?

Apologies for all the questions. It's a habit of mine
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-03-07 at 09:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarthrax View Post
    @Mornings-

Just out of curiosity, for possible future characters for this setting, what is the status of Thassilon's part of history? Completely erased, Golarion standard, or something in between? (This includes the status of New Thassilon, which is detailed at the end of Return of the Runelords.)

Also, one more question. Childe of Blood's Path sets my Con to 4 higher when calculating kineticist DC's. Dark Elementalist sets my Intelligence as the appropriate ability score for that, and Elemental Ascetic sets it to Wisdom. While Eater of Souls Style specifies that I can use either of the latter, as I wish, to do so, would I treat the appropriate ability score as 4 higher, or is that only if I don't use either archetype?
    Keeper of the Obsidian Smile - Approved.

The setting as the characters understand it remains as cannon Golarion, circa AR 4707. The changes which you encounter, if any are noticed or pertinent to you, are actual differences noticed in-character, rather than alterations to the established world as it is understood by the people who dwell there. However, don't assume the events of every AP and module have occurred at their appropriate times - after all, you remained uninvolved in any recent events even if they had happened due to your imprisonment.

Childe of Blood's Path remains keyed specifically to Con, imparting no change if you choose to use a different ability for calculating your kineticist DCs.

I actually found these Healer's Gloves that also provide a +5 bonus to Heal checks for the same price. Would they also cost 3x their listed price, given that they're magical, or stay the same price since they only provide a skill bonus?

Edit: Same question for Vest of Surgery?
    Magical equipment which effects heal will incur the cost multiplier, but mundane tools will not.

I have a sort-of-backstory! It's told in first person. When Erik refers to "the Dream" he's referring to the time he spent cursed in the sanitarium. Don't have a particular reason why, it just felt appropriate.

Spoiler: Monologue
    Show
    When the Auspex came, she gave me an offer, not a choice.

Yes, I could have said no - but none of us sane enough to understand her would have. In exchange for freedom, I would be shackled with a new purpose, what she called an 'Undertaking.' I would be freed from one cell so that I may enter another.

But it's better than the alternative.

Before the Dream, I was a soldier. I fought against the chaos that threatened the world. The dark beasts in the twisted corners of the world were my prey, and I their eager hunter.

To my surprise, they were not the true danger.

In the time after the Long Night, I watched good men and women throw themselves wildly into the darkness, in a vain attempt to slay the whispered Veilwitches. With no organization, no leader, they died by the hundreds, thousands. The worst was yet to come.

Taint, spread by the injured survivors, threw the world into an even more fearful chaos. The Purifiers rose, burning the world with their "cleansing" flame. Friends, families, turned on each for fear of retribution. Fear was no longer an emotion; it was a state of being, that the weak rulers used as a tool.

As the Purifiers were forced from power, I had my epiphany. The people at large were good, but weak and fearful. A new ruler was needed, who reigned with strength and confidence, rather than the weak and conniving monarchs already in place.

I have no strong memories of the transgression that put me in the Dream. An insult. A flash of steel. A spurt of blood.

Four years, I'm told, is how long the Dream lasted. It felt longer. When the mass of burning pain that was my body no longer responded, I was left alone with my thoughts. My only shield against the insanity that so many were consumed by was my conviction, that I might unify the fractured world. Patience is strength, and so I waited, in that grey area between life and death.

That grey area that had become my home was a subject of much thought, while I was in the Dream. A place where life and death became almost interchangable, where they could build upon another.

I had seen undeath before. Always an abomination to be struck down without thought. But in my contemplation, I saw such creatures in a new light. Abominations, yes, but perhaps they had a use. Fearless, tireless, they could make perfect soldiers. A tool, with which I might reforge a shattered world.

When I awoke from the Dream, I was changed. Years of thought had rewarded me with an understanding, with which I could manipulate that grey area I had lived in for so long.

Once this 'Undertaking' is complete, I will begin my quest in earnest. With these new dark powers, I will rebuild this world under my banner. There will be anger. There will be resistance.

There will be death.

But it's better than the alternative.

Feedback is appreciated let me know what you guys think/if I should change anything. I feel like I could've had better transitions, but I wasn't sure how to go about it :/
    I like it, it establishes a fair baseline for the character and their rational. The theme i'm walking away with is a man who watches the fires spread by those caught in frenzy or panic, and having finally had enough, he's steeled himself to rein in these children playing at 'leader'. He's mentally set himself to the task of governing and creating a new world order all his own, to be ruled under his firm bloody grasp.

Erik strikes me as a hard man. By his thought process, maybe he didn't aspire to lead in the past; not until he saw them burning the villages, perhaps. But he should carry a great deal of experience under his belt to even muster forth the proposition to himself. The bad times, the dirty work, but also the political seasoning of a man who's developed the competency to step into the ring with the 'movers-and-shakers' of the world. From where he stands, in his cage, he's acutely aware he's no 'one-man army' - and even if he were, if he can be smitten by some rogue mercenary band's curse, how in the hells does he expect to contest entire nations. The wit, guile and cunning he will need to posture and place himself within a position of power and influence will take more than a strong swordarm. He'll need to inspire, he'll need to lead men. Where does his confidence stem from that he is even remotely capable of such a feat? Where is his depth of experience that could even substantiate his logic drawn from? Is he simply delusional? A mad-man driven to the brink from his rotting addled mind? Or does he actually have a fair shake at it? Does he truly have the mettle, and potential within himself to rise above others and draw the talent, resources and skills of men under his leadership; to make his vision reality. These are the kinds of things you'll probably want to look at to further develop your concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Added a small vignette for Regina's background. Hopefully her thoughts and reactions give some life to her motivations.

Feedback is always appreciated.
    Hm. It's good... but I also sat thinking for 15 minutes wondering what was so evidently missing. Because there is something missing.

Then it hit me.

The 'why'. Why does Regina care about researching... whatever abstract thing she's actually researching. Why is she so obsessed with it, sure her personality is pretty unique and caters towards her obsessions, but she could just as well have been obsessed with music, or... cleanliness. There's so many unanswered questions; from what she's actually trying to research, what she's trying to accomplish by it, why she even cares about it, what pushed her to experiment on others and herself, and why do we actually care ourselves? There's probably an entire back-story in itself explaining just that, but as it stands her entire rational not only feels alien and like we've completely missed something, which might be the intent to establish a certain tone to her character, but it comes out with a delivery that feels rather obtuse and lacking.

The reason for this, is that her entire frame of mind has evidently reached the point where it is over the course of whatever experiences she's had, but we have no idea what experiences those are. Instead, what we're provided is a small snapshot without context, and it detracts from the whole of her concept as we cannot grasp the factors of what she defines as reason. Without the 'why', there is nothing to root her actions and thoughts, and nothing to invest us in her or her pursuits. There can be no meaningful development because there is no journey, no advancement, no growth with which we can grasp some measure of recognition or understanding. All we have is the perpetual stasis of the 'snapshot', a sempiternal cycle that might have had a beginning but has no end while we are left absent of the 'why'.

We need, at a minimum, to at least understand the origins of what set her into motion and what she hopes to achieve. We need the context before her pursuits can be previewed as motivation. Without that, we're left with only various degrees of confusion in trying to rationalize her and establish some grounds of her logic and purpose for ourselves. An effort which is difficult with that's been provided, as no clear objective is forthcoming, painting her actions more as some manner of compulsion or psychosis, that diminishes her substance and dismisses the weight of her choices/motivations as nothing more than the whims of some mad-hat scientist. A gross misinterpretation to be sure.

Try to detail some of those things I've addressed above so that we can receive that context; those experiences, objectives and desires she tirelessly works to achieve shouldn't be lost because we don't understand the 'why'. Once we have that, I feel you'll have an extremely well developed character.

Also remember that your Scorned Abilities were received after you were Cursed toward the later period of your imprisonment. These abilities do not represent something you could already do or achieve prior to you being Scorned and thrown in a cell.

Fantastic, thank you very much

@Mornings: if I purchase the armor training class feature, will Sash of the War Champion improve it for me, or no, because I'm not a fighter? Also, would I be able to replace the benefit improvements I'd normally get for being "7th Level" with an advanced armor training?

How do oracle revelations work with freelancer? Do I need to purchase the mystery the revelation is a part of in addition to the revelation I want, or can I just purchase the revelation by itself?

Edit: another question: I know that this is far from a combat oriented game, but for the characters that are more martial focused(such as my own), can we have an idea of where a decent to-hit or AC is?

Apologies for all the questions. It's a habit of mine
    You cannot use Scorned Slots to purchase passive abilities such as Armor Training. If you gain Armor Training via another class, such as Freelancer, the effects of Sash of the War Champion will apply.

If you are taking the Revelation class ability from the Oracle base class then you must possess the Mystery class feature to use it. Revelation class features which allow you to take a Revelation without/or not from a Mystery, do not require the Mystery class feature. I'll leave some examples below:

Revelations
    All cyclopean seers have access to the following revelations, regardless of their chosen mysteries.

Doomsaying (Su): As a standard action, you can pronounce doom on a creature within 30 feet. The target takes a penalty equal to your oracle level on either all skill checks, all savings throws, or all attack rolls (your choice) for 1 minute or until he fails one such roll. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma bonus. This is a curse effect.

Flash of Insight (Su): You gain the cyclops racial ability of the same name. If you already possess this ability, you gain an additional daily use.

Prescience (Ex): You gain a +2 bonus to your Armor Class against attacks of opportunity and a +2 bonus on concentration checks. At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter, these bonuses increase by 1.

This ability alters the revelation class feature.

Revelations
    A dual-cursed oracle gains a new revelation at 5th level and 13th level. These are in addition to the normal revelations she receives at 3rd level, 7th level, and so on. In addition, the cursed oracle may select the following revelations in place of a mystery revelation.

Misfortune (Ex): At 1st level, as an immediate action, you can force a creature within 30 feet to reroll any one d20 roll that it has just made before the results of the roll are revealed. The creature must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. Once a creature has suffered from your misfortune, it cannot be the target of this revelation again for 1 day.

Fortune (Ex): At 5th level, as an immediate action, you can reroll any one d20 roll that you have just made before the results of the roll are revealed. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. You can use this ability once per day at 5th level, and one additional time per day for every six oracle levels beyond 5th.

In regard to your question regarding attack bonuses and AC; there is no meaningful answer to that. Neither feature are necessarily core or dependable modes of attacking or defending outside of rudimentary mundane opponents. You could calculate your regular attack/ac values by CR for those cases. This game runs at APL+3, and PCs are considered CR5 as roughly every 4-5 additional feats are counted as CR+1 - though with the allowed material, that's just a general rule-of-thumb due to the nature and strength of feats provided via other publishers. The effort spent calculating that out though would be largely wasted, as Potentials don't count towards increasing or decreasing CR. If I told you 'go for 30 AC', you'd likely run into combat and get hit by some freakish mutant creature that has an attack bonus higher than its respective CR, due to a Potential or similar ability. If I told you 'you'll be safe with 50 AC', you're going to end up running at freakish mutant #2 and end up getting nailed by something that doesn't hit vs AC. Once you have some similar abilities yourself, or the corresponding defenses, then it effectively balances itself out, as it primarily keys to your ability scores. So I suppose the best avenue to go would be increasing those.

People avoid fighting for a reason, the descriptions for that are not flavor text, it's how you've managed to stay alive. Being struck once for 2 damage, might not kill you, you might even win that fight. But the wound you took might cause you to die later. Once you've developed enough Potentials you'll start to move further away from the whole, 'perpetual fear of death'-bit - though venturing into other parts of the multiverse is a whole new can of worms that will reinstate that fear. The golden rule of starting the game is 'live cautiously. Avoid uncertain encounters'. Usually there are a handful of 'red flags' when something is out of the norm, which is what you typically want to avoid early on. However, I fully expect this will likely be ignored and someones going to get murdered despite my repeated reminders, warnings, IC links and disclosures in the recruitment details. While it's not exactly a hard-rail, I'm hoping the 'guided' opening will help indoctrinate new players, to some extent, and give them a general feel for how they've survived as long as they have; and how they can continue doing so moving forward. As long as you survive, you'll eventually win in the end; but initially, you should be able to appreciate the gravity of your circumstances and the very real threats you face.

15. - Top - End - #285

I like it, it establishes a fair baseline for the character and their rational. The theme i'm walking away with is a man who watches the fires spread by those caught in frenzy or panic, and having finally had enough, he's steeled himself to rein in these children playing at 'leader'. He's mentally set himself to the task of governing and creating a new world order all his own, to be ruled under his firm bloody grasp.

Erik strikes me as a hard man. By his thought process, maybe he didn't aspire to lead in the past; not until he saw them burning the villages, perhaps. But he should carry a great deal of experience under his belt to even muster forth the proposition to himself. The bad times, the dirty work, but also the political seasoning of a man who's developed the competency to step into the ring with the 'movers-and-shakers' of the world. From where he stands, in his cage, he's acutely aware he's no 'one-man army' - and even if he were, if he can be smitten by some rogue mercenary band's curse, how in the hells does he expect to contest entire nations. The wit, guile and cunning he will need to posture and place himself within a position of power and influence will take more than a strong swordarm. He'll need to inspire, he'll need to lead men. Where does his confidence stem from that he is even remotely capable of such a feat? Where is his depth of experience that could even substantiate his logic drawn from? Is he simply delusional? A mad-man driven to the brink from his rotting addled mind? Or does he actually have a fair shake at it? Does he truly have the mettle, and potential within himself to rise above others and draw the talent, resources and skills of men under his leadership; to make his vision reality. These are the kinds of things you'll probably want to look at to further develop your concept.
    Very good point, he does sound a bit like a madman without that context. I don't think of him as crazy, aside from the inflated ambition.

I feel he was a leader before, just not of a country or kingdom.

Hmm, I've got an idea...

How presumptuous would it be to suggest that perhaps he was the leader of one of the largest bands of sell swords after the Cotton Club? His men and women served a similar purpose, stamping out chaos wherever it may be found. Then, perhaps one of his men caught the Veilplague, or his company was accused of using arcane magic, and was torn apart by the Purifiers and their fearmongering. When the dust settled, he joined the Cotton Club - no longer his own employer, but at least he could continue his work.

I think it could fit. It gives him years of experience commanding a large company of soldiers. Being the head of such a large company would require him to have diplomatic skills, knowledge, and understanding. It gives him an even more tangible reason to hate the fear and chaos that came from the witch hunts. It could even explain how he landed in the Sanitarium - another Gale made some disparaging remark of his company, his ego couldn't take it, he lashed out and ended up where he is.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-03-07 at 11:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Very good point, he does sound a bit like a madman without that context. I don't think of him as crazy, aside from the inflated ambition.

I feel he was a leader before, just not of a country or kingdom.

Hmm, I've got an idea...

How presumptuous would it be to suggest that perhaps he was the leader of one of the largest bands of sell swords after the Cotton Club? His men and women served a similar purpose, stamping out chaos wherever it may be found. Then, perhaps one of his men caught the Veilplague, or his company was accused of using arcane magic, and was torn apart by the Purifiers and their fearmongering. When the dust settled, he joined the Cotton Club - no longer his own employer, but at least he could continue his work.

I think it could fit. It gives him years of experience commanding a large company of soldiers. Being the head of such a large company would require him to have diplomatic skills, knowledge, and understanding. It gives him an even more tangible reason to hate the fear and chaos that came from the witch hunts. It could even explain how he landed in the Sanitarium - another Gale made some disparaging remark of his company, his ego couldn't take it, he lashed out and ended up where he is.

What do you think?
    That could work, and it covers your bases. Most mercenary companies aren't extraordinarily large, so this gives you plenty of leeway for artistic license to make your own.

17. - Top - End - #287

That could work, and it covers your bases. Most mercenary companies aren't extraordinarily large, so this gives you plenty of leeway for artistic license to make your own.
    Great! I'll work it into his backstory tomorrow, as it's getting pretty late here. So I have a point of reference, about how big is the Cotton Club and the average mercenary company?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Great! I'll work it into his backstory tomorrow, as it's getting pretty late here. So I have a point of reference, about how big is the Cotton Club and the average mercenary company?
    The Cotton Club has between 30-40 Gales at a time, while the average mercenary company has less than 15 members.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler: Truth-seeker
    Show
    "When you notice an insect on the ground, do you stop to consider it a fool? The life of an insect is so beneath you that it would be a waste of your time to even consider judging it." - Father (FMA: Brotherhood)

Miryks stopped to consider the ants on the ground before him. One hive was always warring with another, desperate to claim more land, more resources. A transgression from one hive (from one ant!), could lead to all out, unquestioned war between the two sides. Their short, pointless lives in the dirt made them blind to the larger world around them, ignorant to the true depths to existence. His gaze focused on one ant, thrashing around with a detached limb writhing close by. Miryk's foot itched. With one precise step, he could end this ant's fight, send it to whatever God was waiting for it on the other side. But no; it wouldn't be appropriate for him to do so. Though he may be a superior being, it wasn't his burden to end this ant's life or not.

A voice called out to Miryks, and he turned to face the ant speaking to him. The armor this one wore denoted him as a captain in the army that Miryks currently stood with. Service was too strong a word, for he did not fit within their hierarchy or their petty squabbles. Miryks offered a very particular set of skills, ones that elevated him beyond the normal rank and file. Even their leaders had to step lightly around him, lest they find his boot hovering over them next.

"What is it, Captain?"
    "We've caught one of their runners. Bastard tried to sneak through the lines under our colors, but we got him!"
    "What do you want to know?"
    The captain let an eager grin split his face. "Everything."

"Everything" ended up only lasting several minutes; Miryks's notoriety was well earned. Years of observing the frailty of the humanoid body had afforded him a unique perspective on both causing injury, and relieving it. Unlike other butchers who dared call themselves Torturer, Miryks achieved results without tearing through the offal like some stray mutt. The truth wanted to be free, and Miryks was all too happy to oblige. He could always read the play of emotion on their faces, each feeling forced out by the masterpiece his blades wove. Soon, the truth would eagerly spring forth and Miryks could wait for the next canvas to be brought before him.

Here's my in progress sheet and a taste of who Miryks was before joining the Cotton Club.

Also, requesting the Guided Weapon Property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So I'm the Satipo to your Dr. Jones, Jr.?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    The start is a pretty good starting point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Under my leadership, the Illuminati immediately emerged victorious.

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post

Spoiler: Truth-seeker
    Show
    "When you notice an insect on the ground, do you stop to consider it a fool? The life of an insect is so beneath you that it would be a waste of your time to even consider judging it." - Father (FMA: Brotherhood)

Miryks stopped to consider the ants on the ground before him. One hive was always warring with another, desperate to claim more land, more resources. A transgression from one hive (from one ant!), could lead to all out, unquestioned war between the two sides. Their short, pointless lives in the dirt made them blind to the larger world around them, ignorant to the true depths to existence. His gaze focused on one ant, thrashing around with a detached limb writhing close by. Miryk's foot itched. With one precise step, he could end this ant's fight, send it to whatever God was waiting for it on the other side. But no; it wouldn't be appropriate for him to do so. Though he may be a superior being, it wasn't his burden to end this ant's life or not.

A voice called out to Miryks, and he turned to face the ant speaking to him. The armor this one wore denoted him as a captain in the army that Miryks currently stood with. Service was too strong a word, for he did not fit within their hierarchy or their petty squabbles. Miryks offered a very particular set of skills, ones that elevated him beyond the normal rank and file. Even their leaders had to step lightly around him, lest they find his boot hovering over them next.

"What is it, Captain?"
    "We've caught one of their runners. Bastard tried to sneak through the lines under our colors, but we got him!"
    "What do you want to know?"
    The captain let an eager grin split his face. "Everything."

"Everything" ended up only lasting several minutes; Miryks's notoriety was well earned. Years of observing the frailty of the humanoid body had afforded him a unique perspective on both causing injury, and relieving it. Unlike other butchers who dared call themselves Torturer, Miryks achieved results without tearing through the offal like some stray mutt. The truth wanted to be free, and Miryks was all too happy to oblige. He could always read the play of emotion on their faces, each feeling forced out by the masterpiece his blades wove. Soon, the truth would eagerly spring forth and Miryks could wait for the next canvas to be brought before him.

Here's my in progress sheet and a taste of who Miryks was before joining the Cotton Club.

Also, requesting the Guided Weapon Property.
    Interesting.

Guided is approved.

21. - Top - End - #291

Walt Kincaid- N human Marksman 4

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Strength: 14 +2
    Dexterity: 20 +5 (+2 racial)
    Constitution: 14 +2
    Intelligence: 13 +1
    Wisdom: 16 +3
    Charisma: 7 -2

BAB: +4

CMB: +6 (+4 BAB +2 Str)

CMD: 19 (10 +4 BAB +2 Str +5 Dex)

Fort: +4 (+1 base, +2 Con, +1 resistance) (-2 to save vs. any effect causing fatigue and exhaustion, or anything with 'cloud', 'dust', 'fog', or 'smoke' in the name.)
    Ref: +10 (+4 base, +5 Dex, +1 resistance)
    Will: +8 (+4 base, +3 Wis, +1 resistance)

AC: 19 (10 +4 Dex +5 armor) (+1 vs. ranged)

HP: 43 (12 + 3d10+6)

Initiative: +5 (+5 Dex)

Attacks:
    Two-handed morningstar +6 melee, 1d10+3 bludgeoning and piercing, 20/x2 crit
    Dragoon musket +11 ranged, 1d12+5 bludgeoning and piercing, 20/x3 crit, 130' range, misfire 1-2

Spoiler: Attack notes
    Show
    No -4 penalty to make ranged attacks against foes engaged in melee
    +1 attack and damage for ranged attacks made within 30'
    Can take a -2 penalty to attack for +4 damage
    Halve all range penalties

Can expend martial focus to:
    (if within first ranged increment) Add 2d6 damage and EITHER make a free ranged trip attempt the target, using the original attack roll as the combat maneuver check, or apply a stacking -2 penalty to the target's attack rolls, AC, and CMD until they remove the projectile as a move action (or multiples as a full-round action).
    (if not within first ranged increment) Add 2d10 damage and EITHER make a free ranged trip attempt the target, using the original attack roll as the combat maneuver check, or apply a stacking -2 penalty to the target's attack rolls, AC, and CMD until they remove the projectile as a move action (or multiples as a full-round action).

Can expend martial focus and make a single shot as a full-round action to apply BOTH of the above effects on a single shot, and resolve the attack against the target's touch AC reguardless of range increment

Can expend psionic focus to:
    Ignore range penalties altogether for one shot
    Add +3 damage to a single shot
    Reroll a missed shot
    This will incur -2 damage to all shots and halve my range increments until psionic focus is regained.

Swift-action options:
    Horizon Wind Lancet: +1d6 damage
    Steady Hand: +60' to the first range increment only
    Wind Reader: +3 attack
    Inevitable Strike: +5-11 attack and ignore miss chance for a concealed target, spend 1-4 pp

Spoiler: Skills
    Show
    Stealth 4 ranks, +3 class, +5 Dex, +5 competence, +2 racial, +1 Style Skill, -1 armor, +19 total (-5, not -20, when sniping: +11 enhancement with Chameleon power: +4 circumstance when immobile and prone with camouflage netting)
    Survival 4 ranks, +3 class, +3 Wis, +2 racial, +12 total
    Perception 4 ranks, +3 class, +3 Wis, +10 total
    Sense Motive 4 ranks, +3 class, +3 Wis, +10 total
    Profession (cook) 4 ranks, +3 class, +3 Wis, +2 circumstance, +12 total
    Climb 4 ranks, +3 class, +2 Str, +5 total, -1 armor, (+2 circumstance if I have time to retrieve and use my climbing kit)
    Acrobatics 4 ranks, +3 class, +5 Dex, -1 armor, +11 total
    Autohypnosis 1 rank, +3 class, +3 Wis, +7 total
    Knowledge (psionics) 1 rank, +3 class, +1 Int, +5 total
    Artistry (scrimshaw) 1 rank, +3 class, +1 Int, +5 total
    Craft (alchemy) 1 rank, +3 class, +1 Int, +1 circumstance, +6 total
    (Note: four extra skill points for Stealth from the Scout sphere)

Spoiler: Feats, Traits, Drawback, Flaw, Racial Traits
    Show
    Feats:
    Simple Weapon Proficiency (1st-level Marksman bonus)
    Light Armor Proficiency (1st-level Marksman bonus)
    Gunsmithing (1st-level Firearm Proficiency talent bonus)
    Point Blank Shot/Precise Shot (1st-level Marksman bonus)
    Extra Combat Talent (Sniper Shot) (1st-level major drawback)
    Extra Combat Talent (Trip Shot) (1st-level human bonus)
    Empowered Shot (1st-level flaw bonus)
    Deadly Aim (1st-level campaign bonus)
    Extra Combat Talent (Mechanical Savant) (1st-level campaign bonus)
    Martial Training I (Solar Wind) (Horizon Wind Lancet, Steady Hand) (3rd-level)
    Expert Sniper (3rd-level campaign bonus)

Traits:
    Adopted (Fiendish Sniper)
    Roving Range

Major Drawback: Asthmatic

Flaw: Uncontrollable Rage

Racial Traits:
    Medium-sized humanoid (human), base speed 30'
    Speak Common
    Bonus Feat
    Practiced Hunter (+2 to Stealth, Survival: they're always class)
    Favored class: Marksman (+4 HP)

Spoiler: Class Features and Spheres abilities
    Show
    Class features:
    Combat Style (Sniper)
    Style Technique: Expend my psionic focus while making a single ranged attack to add my Wisdom modifier to damage dealt
    Style Skill: +1 to Stealth
    Style Mantra: +2 competence to damage on ranged or thrown weapons while psionically focused
    Second Chance: 6/day, expend psionic focus to reroll a missed attack

4th-level marksman manifesting (ML 4, Wis-based: 11 PP)
    Powers known:
    1st: Inevitable Strike, Chameleon
    Wind Reader: 7/day, spend a swift action to add my Wisdom modifier to a ranged attack

Favored Weapon: +1 competence to attack with firearms

Evade Arrows: +1 to AC vs. ranged attacks

Scorned abilities:
    8th-level class feature: Mutate (as a 1st-level Master Chymist)
    7th-level class feature: Combat Surge (as a 7th-level Battle Wilder)
    6th-level class feature: Bloodrage (as a 6th-level Abyssal Bloodline Bloodrager)

Notes:
    Martial Tradition: Canny Hunter
    1st, 5th-level feats traded to become a Proficient user of combat talents

EQUIPMENT
    Huntsman Training
    Firearm Proficiency
    Mechanical Savant

SCOUT

SNIPER
    Hindering Projectiles
    Focusing Reload
    Sniper Shot
    Trip Shot

Spoiler: Equipment
    Show
    (Began with battered firearm, self-upgraded to masterwork, enchanted separately) Dragoon Musket +1 (2,300 gp, 12 lb) with Far-Reaching Sight (4,000 gp, 1 lb)
    Two-handed morningstar (1d10 damage, x2 crit, bludgeoning and piercing, +2 to CMD vs. sunder, 15 gp, 10 lb)
    3x vial self-crafted alchemist's fire (20 gp, 3 lb)
    3x vial self-crafted acid (10 gp, 1 lb)
    3x self-crafted tanglefoot bag (50 gp, 30 lb)
    Combination Cloak of Elvenkind, Muleback Cords, & Cloak of Resistance +1 (5,500 gp, 1 lb)
    Chain Shirt +1 (1,250 gp, 25 lb)
    Heavyload Belt (2,000 gp, 3 lb)
    66 self-crafted dragoon cartridges (990 gp)
    Gunsmith's kit (15 gp, 2 lb)
    Ioun Torch (75 gp)

Absurdly large masterwork backpack camouflaged to look like a mossy stone (50 gp, 4 lb)
    Bedroll and blanket (0.6 gp, 8 lb)
    Flint and steel (1 gp)
    Small tent (10 gp, 20 lb)
    Soap (2 gp, 4 lb)
    Collection of spices (50 gp, 2 lb: masterwork tool for Profession: Chef)
    Common coffee (0.05 gp, 2.5 lb)
    Iron pot and mess kit (1 gp, 6 lb)
    Ink, inkpen, blank book (23.1 gp, 1 lb)
    Hooded lantern (7 gp, 2 lb)
    30 pints oil (3 gp, 30 lb)
    Nice chess set (1 gp, 2 lb)
    Playing cards (0.1 gp, 1 lb)
    Cooking kit (3 gp, 16 lb)
    Gear maintenance kit (5 gp, 2 lb)
    Grooming kit (1 gp, 2 lb)
    Scrivener's kit (2 gp, 1 lb)
    Shaving kit (15 gp, 0.5 lb)

Explorer's outfit (8 lb)
    Cold-weather outfit (8 gp, 7 lb)
    Hot-weather outfit (8 gp, 4 lb)

20x caltrops (20 gp, 20 lb)
    2x bear trap (4 gp, 20 lb)
    10x marbles (1 gp, 10 lb)

Healer's kit (50 gp, 1 lb)
    Climber's kit (80 gp, 5 lb)
    4x waterskin (4 gp, 16 lb)
    Compass (10 gp, 0.5 lb)
    One month's trail rations (15 gp, 30 lb)
    One month's wandermeal rations (3 gp, 15 lb)
    10x candle (0.1 gp)
    5 pcs chalk (0.05 gp)
    Crowbar (2 gp, 5 lb)
    10 sq yd canvas (1 gp, 10 lb)
    Small steel mirror (10 gp, 0.5 lb)
    4x empty sack (0.4 gp, 2 lb)
    Signal whistle (0.8 gp)
    Shovel (2 gp, 8 lb)
    Iron drill with 2x replacement bit (12 gp, 1 lb)
    Superior hacksaw (20 gp, 1 lb)
    Magnet onna stick (20 gp, 2 lb)
    200 ft silk rope (40 gp, 20 lb)
    100 ft string (0.02 gp, 1 lb)
    Grappling hook (1 gp, 4 lb)
    Sealing wax (2 gp, 2 lb)
    Map/scroll case (1 gp, 0.5 lb)
    Folding pole (2 gp, 10 lb)
    Block and tackle (5 gp, 5 lb)
    Earplugs (0.03 gp)
    Hammer (0.5 gp, 2 lb)
    Sledge (1 gp, 10 lb)
    Merchant's scale (2 gp, 1 lb)
    Portable alchemist's lab (75 gp, 20 lb)
    Assortment of bribery booze for many tastes (200 gp, 30 lb)
    Self-crafted alchemical glue (6.67 gp, 0.5 lb)
    3x self-crafted alchemist's kindness (3 gp)
    Self-crafted alchemical grease (10 gp, 6 lb)
    5x ink/potion vial (5 gp)
    Self-crafted smelling salts (8.33 gp)
    Camouflage Netting (20 gp, 5 lb)

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    Appearance: Walt has a hatchet-faced look to him, a face that's ageless in a not-terribly-appealing way: he could be a hard-living twenty or a well-preserved fifty. In his prime as a Gale his skin was bronzed and weatherbeaten: now, as he recovers from long confinement and settles in to his curse, it is pasty and sallow in a fashion that contrasts queerly with his obvious familarity with the out of doors. There's something subtly off-putting about the way he moves- or, rather, the way he doesn't: when at rest, he tends towards absolute, supremely patient stillness, without the twitches, twiddles, and momentary glances around the room that others indulge in.

In short, he looks like an oddball who's been on the wrong end of a beating from the ugly stick- an impression not helped by the simply enormous backpack he wears, a titanic thing more appropriate for a heavy draft horse than a man.

Personality/Background: Some men get into mercenary work from the military: some were adventurers, criminals, athletes. Walt Kincaid came into that life as a hunter. From childhood he learned to trap, to stalk, to await the perfect shot with rocklike patience, to skin and dress and cook his kill, to treat his rifled musket with respect and care. He became a young man when he shot his first buck- and by the time he was a a grown man, the ecosystem had gone mad with the coming of the Long Night. Others in his position retreated to the safety of walled towns and agriculture, or suffered a variety of exotic and grisly deaths, but he stuck with it with equal parts grit, ingenuity, cussed stubbornness, and psychic talent he didn't know he had, slowly learning to sustain himself on a diet of displacer beast, owlbear and dire boar. His first encounter with the Cotton Club came as a guide: an up-and-coming team heard local scuttlebutt about a crazy mountain man who ate Veilbeasts and shat thunder and sought him out for help on a tough bulette hunt.

Most likely, they thought to find some poor mad soul to toss into the jaws of the thing and buy them a few seconds of respite: at best, they thought they'd get someone who knew the lay of the land. They got that and more: a patient, methodical, soft-spoken tracker with a work ethic that would shame an ant, willing to spend days tracking the beast, observing its habits, choosing and preparing a killing ground, and spend exhausting, filthy hours digging earthworks and setting traps to ensure that the beast would die and every one of them would make it home alive. By the time the titanic thing had finished bleeding out, they were already racking their brains trying to come up with a way to tempt him into work with him on their next job...but they needn't have bothered. When they made their way to the then-unguarded center of that Tainted Land, and retrieved the strange documents that lay within, Walt was hooked: this was the first he'd heard of anyone making any real headway into the question of what had transformed his peaceful hunting grounds into a surreal hellscape and driven away or killed all others who'd shared his way to make a living. He joined up as a Prospect the day they got back to civilization, and made full Gale within the year.

Never one for the wheels-within-wheels games of treachery and deceit that some within the Club delighted in, he always made his priorities entirely clear: first, ensure that everyone on the team made it back alive, and second, to unravel the mystery of what had broken the world. He wasn't the most successful or elite agent of the Club: when the assignment was amenable to his team's skillset and approach, he delivered careful, competent, reliable success. When it wasn't, he tried his damnedest, but was never shy about scrubbing a mission and pulling out if it looked like it was going to be a bloodbath, debt be damned. He was a survivor, not a glory hound- and for a time, he survived.

Then he got the one mission he couldn't back out of: a mandatory assignment from Cayla Vronds herself, delivered in hush-hush fashion and urging that he assemble a strike team and carry out a mission in greatest secrecy and with little notice. It the most dangerous assignment he'd ever taken, exactly the kind of risky, swashbuckling horse**** he despised...and there was something else that bothered Walt about the letter, some subtle thing on the edge of awareness that called out to him without ever quite identifying itself. But he'd been with the Club long enough to know he didn't have a choice. He went out there and did it, took risks, flew by the seat of his pants, got two-thirds of his team killed for his troubles, and dragged himself back into the Cotton Club bleeding in half a dozen places.

To face the icy rage of Cayla herself, who knew not a blessed thing of their daring escapades and had come within an ace of being killed in the arson and mayhem the team had engineered to make their getaway. There was no time to explain himself, no time to do anything at all,: only three seconds of confusion and terror from the moment he stepped into the Club to report his 'success' and saw Cayla's blazing eyes, then he woke up cursed and broken in the Sanitarium.

He's had a long time to think about what went wrong and how. The assignment was from Cayla, there can be no question of that: the letter bore the woman's unforgable, unique Arcane Mark, it casually referred to mysteries of the Club and Walt's time in it that only she would know. And from the raw shock on her face when she saw him come into the Club, she didn't set him up, or she is the world's best actor. But there was something else about the letter- paper seeming strangely ancient despite ink wet on the page, strange turns of phrase and malapropisms, a seemingly-innocent 'mistake' that seems more unlikely every time he thinks of it. The thing was a Paradox Codex, from a Paradox Cayla and a Paradox Club- the genuine article and nonetheless wildly wrong. Through the endless pain and suffering of his curse, one thought has kept him sane: the same burning curiosity that brought him out of the wilderness and into the Club, now far closer to home. The Long Night made the world twisted and strange, yes, but never in a personal way. He will learn this thing at any price: when, why, how did the Universe manufacture this perfect tool of his destruction and deliver it into his hands?

On family: His mother died in childbirth, and his father was never a warm man nor a sociable one, not scholarly or creative or fun. Theo Kincaid was a somewhat limited man, sometimes overwhelmed by the challenges of raising a child without Emma- but in his limited way, he did his earnest best to raise the boy, ensuring that he never went hungry or cold and working hard to pass on every scrap of woodcraft that he knew. Sometimes it felt more like a long, lonely apprenticeship than a childhood, but the family wasn't entirely solitary: he treasured the roughly monthly occasions on which Theo would return to the village, cook up a big cauldron of meat stew for all to share, and swap meat and furs for bread, fruit, tools, and the occasional toy or book or lesson for Walt. He survived the Long Night, but his age made him ill-suited to continue living as a woodsman in the surreal and hellish place the wilderness had become. Humiliated and saddened by the loss of the only life he'd ever known, he lived on as a 'townie', sustained fiscally by Walt's earnings at the Cotton Club and spiritually by roughly monthly visits where father and son shared a hearty pot of stew and reminisced about old times. Following his long confinement in the sanitarium Walt doesn't know if the old man is alive or dead: he suspects the worst.

On his Scorned abilities: "Gods, there's no part of this rotten mess that I hate more than the 'gifts' it's given me. I spend my whole life hunting down beasts and monsters that have nothing but speed and strength and fury, killing them with the qualities that are properly man's: tools, cunning, guile and technique...and my 'gift' makes me good for nothing but brutal, mindless rage."

Here you go. The background plays with your lore in ways that you may or may not find kosher: let me know if it works for you.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2019-03-09 at 01:33 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
    Walt Kincaid- N human Marksman 4

-snip-

Quote Originally Posted by Mornings
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    OOTS. Character sheets will be created via Mythweavers.
    If you would like to submit your character, please follow the creation rules and provide a character sheet via mythweaves.
    Last edited by Mornings; 2019-03-08 at 03:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Halfling in the Playground

Just as a heads up I will be "taking advantage" of the rolling intro offer to work on char this weekend, so pretty much won't make that first cut. I am going to make another pass at BG and post it for feed back. Would not have been such an issue, but work was like you know when we said you are pretty much done with overtime? Yeah, well, we lied. Client changed the parameters of the project so RL has been evil. :P

Speaking of going to be doing the Striker1 (I think) + Freelancer3 route, and aiming for Cat Girl Ninja style character. Mechanics wise anyone know of a good way to turn natural armor into something usable vs touch?
    Last edited by wantgame; 2019-03-08 at 08:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wantgame View Post
    Just as a heads up I will be "taking advantage" of the rolling intro offer to work on char this weekend, so pretty much won't make that first cut. I am going to make another pass at BG and post it for feed back. Would not have been such an issue, but work was like you know when we said you are pretty much done with overtime? Yeah, well, we lied. Client changed the parameters of the project so RL has been evil. :P

Speaking of going to be doing the Striker1 (I think) + Freelancer3 route, and aiming for Cat Girl Ninja style character. Mechanics wise anyone know of a good way to turn natural armor into something usable vs touch?
    No problem, gotta take care of life first. It does take some time going through all the submissions in any case.
    You would probably need to find a way to convert your natural armor bonus into a bonus of another type, or an item that allows you to use your full AC value vs touch attacks; though these are typically limited to certain kinds of attacks. Usually such items have some kind of 'bulletproof' feature and only apply to firearms - such as Alkenstar fortress plate.

The other options available might not do exactly what you're looking for or are somewhat situational/rely on spells/expensive;

Scintillating Scales - converts your natural armor into a deflection bonus. Obviously this doesn't stack with other deflection bonuses. But if you have no deflection bonus then this is one method to convert your natural AC.

Shield Ward - lets you apply your shield AC, if any, to touch attacks. There's a lot of methods to pull a shield bonus without a shield so this could be viable depending on the build.

Ghost Ward - it doesn't give you your entire AC to touch attacks, only the enchantment bonus of your armor, if any. There's some creative uses for this one possible, but again, situational.

Deflective Armor - adds your entire armor AC to touch, but only for a suit of heavy armor. Oh, and you have to possess psionic focus. Psionic kitty?

Wilder - Elude touch taken using Freelancer could be just what the doctor ordered, assuming you have a charisma-based build. Otherwise, the untyped AC bonus you're pulling vs touch attacks is wasted.

Riverine - special material, can use it on any armor you wear and turns half the bonus into a deflection bonus. assuming you have no deflection already, could be useful.

That's all I got.

25. - Top - End - #295

If you would like to submit your character, please follow the creation rules and provide a character sheet via mythweaves.
    MW sheet edited in.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Snip
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I can totally see where the discrepancy is. There needs to be more reflection of her past in the post to understand life events that took her down the path she walks. Luckily, there's a spot that I can easily expound on that information.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Here you go. The background plays with your lore in ways that you may or may not find kosher: let me know if it works for you.
    MW sheet edited in.
    Nice. I like the backstory, it's fairly clean and simple, but his logic and motivations are still made evident throughout the course of it. As a man tied to the land, he's likely noticed the changes that have occurred more acutely than most. It makes sense that he'd get swept up in the chaos changing the world. Having an unfortunate mix-up with the codices is an oddly appropriate way to get dragged down into his current affair.

The only thing I would look at visiting further in his backstory is the origins of his wild lifestyle and how he's trained his skills. Perhaps looking at his family and past footsteps up to having reached the point of self-sufficiency he has achieved. This will paint a more developed perspective of who he is, because we'll know how he got there, and give a certain degree of life to his character that is currently evident, but not understood. We need to look deeper at the men and mentors which have instilled upon him the facets and lessons that has made him into the man he has become. With that I feel you'll have a solid character.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I can totally see where the discrepancy is. There needs to be more reflection of her past in the post to understand life events that took her down the path she walks. Luckily, there's a spot that I can easily expound on that information.
    Nice. Looking forward to seeing more.

Edit: Also, make sure you put your fluff on your sheet so i can mark it as 'complete'
    Last edited by Mornings; 2019-03-08 at 03:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299

Default Re: [PF] Prologue to the End - (Closed to New Interest)

Does anyone have suggestions for feats/class features purchasable by a freelancer to represent significant skill with a greatsword, or leadership qualities?

I'm not familiar enough with Pathfinder to know what's out there, and the sheer amount of material makes it difficult to just comb through it all.

All I have left to do for my character mechanically is fill his last couple of feats, select his level 6 scorned ability, and finish buying equipment.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-03-08 at 04:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Prologue to the End - (Closed to New Interest)

Does anyone have suggestions for feats/class features purchasable by a freelancer to represent significant skill with a greatsword, or leadership qualities?

I'm not familiar enough with Pathfinder to know what's out there, and the sheer amount of material makes it difficult to just comb through it all.

All I have left to do for my character is fill his last couple of feats, select his level 6 scorned ability, and finish buying equipment.
    The book 'AE-Bastard Sword' has an assortment of feats that can turn you into a sword-fighting genius, though it technically is specific to fighting with bastard swords. If you took Powerful Form from somewhere you could use a large bastard sword (effectively becoming a greatsword you could use with 1-hand), and qualify for those feats. A lot of those feats function off of the assumption that you can alternate between one and two-handing the weapon, so it doesn't function well for an actual greatsword.

I would also take some source of parry, even if that means just weaponwanding your sword to fit a Devion's Parry in the hilt.