New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: AD&D 2e: is there any “broken” class?

Rules as written, mastery with Darts is broken. I have never had a DM that didn't restrict using Exceptional Strength with darts.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordShade View Post
    And then, the Ghul Lord from the Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. Power Word: Kill at level 2? Nice.
    I'd like to see your logic for this. Ghul Lord is a lot of things, but I don't recall any spellcasting shenanigans for Power Word spells.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Rules as written, mastery with Darts is broken. I have never had a DM that didn't restrict using Exceptional Strength with darts.
    Best version of that I ever saw was a home rule that strength bonus to damage capped out at the weapon max damage. Nobody cared unless it was darts or they has a +5 or higher damage bonus.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Best version of that I ever saw was a home rule that strength bonus to damage capped out at the weapon max damage. Nobody cared unless it was darts or they has a +5 or higher damage bonus.
    My GM ruled if you want to put your full force behind the attack with a thrown weapon, you used your regular warrior attack rate. Otherwise you would add the damage bonues for 18str only.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Not even a house rule; it was explicit in Combat and Tactics.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Priest of Baldur - any member of the opposite sex who looks at you is automatically charmed
    I'm almost entirely sure they didn't think of this (since it's fairly old), but now I'm wondering what happens for a gay priest of Baldur. Does it reverse, or does it work the same and they just get persistent comedic annoyance from it?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    This isn't something I witnessed myself, but I heard about it from someone I used to play with.

Back in the day, someone used Skills and Powers to create a character who, at level 1, could cast Meteor Swarm (a 9th level spell) twice per day. He had terrible saving throws, a d4 hit die, couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from inside it, and levelled up extremely slowly (this was when every class has a different XP table. Fighters took 2,000 XP to go from level 1 to 2, paladins and rangers took 2,250 XP, thieves took 1,250 XP, wizards took 2,500 XP, etc. This guy required something like 5,000.)

But. He could still cast Meteor Swarm twice per day at level 1.
    In "Another Gaming Comic" that was a build referenced as one of a player's former characters. I don't think it was actually a possible build, no details beyond what is referenced above were given. I think it was more to highlight the extreme power gaming that the player (Joe) was capable of.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SerTabris View Post
    I'm almost entirely sure they didn't think of this (since it's fairly old), but now I'm wondering what happens for a gay priest of Baldur. Does it reverse, or does it work the same and they just get persistent comedic annoyance from it?
    https://thedragon.fandom.com/wiki/Dronkeys_(Shrek)
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SerTabris View Post
    Priest of Baldur - any member of the opposite sex who looks at you is automatically charmed
    I would assume that anyone who is sexually attracted to the gender of the Priest of Baldur would be subject to the charm effect. Which means your gay male priest would be charming hetero females, gay males, bi/pan people, and anyone else attracted to males. Anyone not sexually attracted to men would not be charmed, regardless of their gender.

In other words, it's the orientation of the people viewing him, not the orientation of the priest, that determines who is charmed.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-05-04 at 08:29 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season