New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    It changed 500 to 1500e (and when I typed this out just now it changed 500 to 000, and I had to erase and re-type)

I think my phone is possessed by a demon.
    Or a Demon Lord is better known as Flubba Jubba.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey Enderlord when you see this PM me your email so I can send you my current draft so you can beta-read.

Also speaking of which, I'm into draft 2 of my manuscript (officially, I've got more drafts below that). If anyone's interested in beta-reading it and stuff just PM me your email. It's a modern fantasy about a bi girl who discovers hidden magic and stuff.

Slightly related, I got my manuscript evaluation back. The negatives made me kinda depressed but I managed to bounce back.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Hey Enderlord when you see this PM me your email so I can send you my current draft so you can beta-read.
    I'm pretty sure it's [email protected]
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's [email protected]
    I'm such a broken human being I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Also speaking of which, I'm into draft 2 of my manuscript (officially, I've got more drafts below that). If anyone's interested in beta-reading it and stuff just PM me your email. It's a modern fantasy about a bi girl who discovers hidden magic and stuff.
    Nice, Zodi! I'd offer... but I feel that I'm fairly terrible at evaluation, given the last time I read the first few chapters of a draft of a friend's book. So, I'd not be particularly helpful in that regard.

Slightly related, I got my manuscript evaluation back. The negatives made me kinda depressed but I managed to bounce back.
    Ah, yeah, it does suck when stuff like that happens. In an ideal world, everything would be perfect the first time (except code - if that works perfectly the first time, something's gone wrong ). But, at least you know what they want you to improve on?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    How long is a tough question - it's going to depend on the steak. I recommend going off of internal temperature of the steak- instant read thermometers are pretty cheap nowadays.

Recipe for reverse searing

And for pan searing

Thank you for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Or a Demon Lord is better known as Flubba Jubba.

I suspect that is yet another "after my time" cultural reference.

Why must you vex me so 21st century!

Pro-tip: The further from 1983 a pop culture reference is the less likely 2D8HP is to understand it.

Sometimes people like to speak in the third person just to say their own name.

2D8HP!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #67

Pro-tip: The further from 1983 a pop culture reference is the less likely 2D8HP is to understand it.
    So if someone were born from 1984 on, they would be increasingly confusing to you, ya say?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

So if someone were born from 1984 on, they would be increasingly confusing to you, ya say?

That is most logical

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thank you for the links!

I suspect that is yet another "after my time" cultural reference.

Why must you vex me so 21st century!

Sometimes people like to speak in the third person just to say their own name.

2D8HP!
    Huh? What reference? Flubba Jubba is a made up name. I mean who would even name a Demon Lord that kind of name anyway?
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-03-03 at 04:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Nice, Zodi! I'd offer... but I feel that I'm fairly terrible at evaluation, given the last time I read the first few chapters of a draft of a friend's book. So, I'd not be particularly helpful in that regard.

Ah, yeah, it does suck when stuff like that happens. In an ideal world, everything would be perfect the first time (except code - if that works perfectly the first time, something's gone wrong ). But, at least you know what they want you to improve on?
    Honestly that's fine, just having someone read it and tell me their thoughts is good! I'm not asking for a professional view, just an idea of how it feels to be read.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So you say, but assuming that's true, then even if only you appreciate them (or even if others do but are too shy to admit it), tonight I celebrate my love of 1983 pop music references. Sorry, but I couldn't resist the temptation. Perhaps this post is less clever than I think it is. Certainly it will appear in nobody's diary, and if I'm told how bad it is I may cry just a little bit, but at the end of the day I'm still standing and not to rock the boat, but if you have criticism you can rip it up because even if I haven't found favour in your eyes, I'll never never stop making references because when it comes to post formats, you just can't beat it. Unless there's a reason not to do this. Is there something I should know in that regard?

Running out of references now, so unless somebody can think of a new song I can use, it's over and I'll have to give it up. If you missed any of the references, quote the post and look at the size tags. They're a dead giveaway.
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2019-03-03 at 07:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

How long is the novel? I have enough stuff in my life that I don't know how good I would be for a real long novel, but a smaller one could work for me since I have a 45 minute bus ride that I could potentially help with a smaller novel (~200 pages) in a fairly reasonable time span.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    How long is the novel? I have enough stuff in my life that I don't know how good I would be for a real long novel, but a smaller one could work for me since I have a 45 minute bus ride that I could potentially help with a smaller novel (~200 pages) in a fairly reasonable time span.
    I'm currently at two chapters for this draft, around 20 pages. I get abooout two chapters a week done though.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd love to read it and give some evaluation (yes, I enjoy critiquing things), but I'd rather not give my email address out over the internet. I'm paranoid, what can I say?

If you're able to PM it to me, I'd be thrilled to take a look.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    references
    The Sudden Impact of your references from '83 have left me Breathless, truly I'd have to be a Jedi to Return so many mentions of songs @SZbNAhL, you Rock & Rule, and have The Right Stuff a Testament to how you're Still Smokin and are one of The Survivors and aren't one of The Outsiders, if there's a King of Comedy, Eureka! Baby It's You who has All the Right Moves.

Keep on Staying Alive and don't let the Risky Business of The Hunger Keep you from The Meaning of Life @SZbNAhL! I hope at least you recognized Return of the Jedi
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #76

BlueWizardGirl

Honestly that's fine, just having someone read it and tell me their thoughts is good! I'm not asking for a professional view, just an idea of how it feels to be read.
    Sounds interesting. If you'd me to beta-read, let me know. (there was an email here, but now it's gone.)

—Caerulea
    Last edited by Caerulea; 2019-03-04 at 04:17 PM.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

17. - Top - End - #77

BlackDragon

You probably don't want to put your e-mail address on a public forum, Caerulea, some bot will harvest it and add it to a spammer's list.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The Sudden Impact of your references from '83 have left me Breathless, truly I'd have to be a Jedi to Return so many mentions of songs @SZbNAhL, you Rock & Rule, and have The Right Stuff a Testament to how you're Still Smokin and are one of The Survivors and aren't one of The Outsiders, if there's a King of Comedy, Eureka! Baby It's You who has All the Right Moves.

Keep on Staying Alive and don't let the Risky Business of The Hunger Keep you from The Meaning of Life @SZbNAhL! I hope at least you recognized Return of the Jedi
    As someone born 10 years later, I am proud to say I've seen most of the movies mentioned and probably heard most, if not all, the songs at some point.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Well just had an initial telephone interview. Didn't go brilliantly, because I wasn't kept on past the time limit, but we got through all the questions and the interviewer seemed to like my answers to some of them, so I'm filing this one under 'longshot but technically possible'.

Interesting I seem to be one of the few people this interviewer has called who seemed to be able to give a clear description of what the job entails, including extrapolating from the information given. At this point it'll probably come down to a mixture of interview quality and final year project interestingness* versus interview length and only having a third.

* A friend of mine pointed out that my FYP is really unusual as I essentially built something from the ground up, despite being inspired by an existing project.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well just had an initial telephone interview. Didn't go brilliantly, because I wasn't kept on past the time limit, but we got through all the questions and the interviewer seemed to like my answers to some of them, so I'm filing this one under 'longshot but technically possible'.

Interesting I seem to be one of the few people this interviewer has called who seemed to be able to give a clear description of what the job entails, including extrapolating from the information given. At this point it'll probably come down to a mixture of interview quality and final year project interestingness* versus interview length and only having a third.

* A friend of mine pointed out that my FYP is really unusual as I essentially built something from the ground up, despite being inspired by an existing project.
    Best of luck. Something to keep in mind with a promising interview even if you don't get this job is to apply for the next one they have that's applicable to you. They may well have notes on your file if you end up in the final round of the selecting process.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

*drags her belongings to the new thread*

Phew... so soon! Are we getting closer to older RB pace?!

Internship is going good. There's going to be two job openings later this year, and I will be applying.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Best of luck. Something to keep in mind with a promising interview even if you don't get this job is to apply for the next one they have that's applicable to you. They may well have notes on your file if you end up in the final round of the selecting process.
    Yep, just been really stressed as I haven't had an interview or the like for over a year. I'm going to be keeping my eye out though, just in case something from them comes up again (oh, and get back to sending off applications on Wednesday).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

23. - Top - End - #83

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You probably don't want to put your e-mail address on a public forum, Caerulea, some bot will harvest it and add it to a spammer's list.
    It's not my real email, and I will likely only check it for communication on this one specific topic. Thank you anyway.

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Internship is going good. There's going to be two job openings later this year, and I will be applying.
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't like it when someone offers solutions to the problem they assume I'm trying to tell them about, rather than the one I'm actually trying to tell them about, and which they would understand if they listened. I sometimes do the same thing, admittedly, but it's not on purpose; it's a habit I inherited from my dad.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't like it when someone offers solutions to the problem they assume I'm trying to tell them about, rather than the one I'm actually trying to tell them about, and which they would understand if they listened. I sometimes do the same thing, admittedly, but it's not on purpose; it's a habit I inherited from my dad.
    See, the proper way to deal with that is to use a lash to beat the recalcitrant fools into submission. If they continue to spout independent thought or to rebel against your just and proper authority, simply bind them to the wheel of pain for a month. Then they will be much better thralls.

Or you could be talking about dealing with (at least nominal) peers instead of slaves who rise up to overthrow your system of governance, by Crom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Well now I'm back in that place where my crush has somebody else that she likes, but isn't sure if they like her, and it's trying to make sure she causes me the least amount of pain possible.

Please send tissues and some tea to melt this ice cube in my heart.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Well now I'm back in that place where my crush has somebody else that she likes, but isn't sure if they like her, and it's trying to make sure she causes me the least amount of pain possible.

Please send tissues and some tea to melt this ice cube in my heart.
    Have you ever thought about just transcribing your love life and making it into a 90's-era TV show? You'd make a fortune, I tells ya!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Have you ever thought about just transcribing your love life and making it into a 90's-era TV show? You'd make a fortune, I tells ya!
    I've actually started making jokes along those lines, although generally I'm one of the bit characters (generally the jerk boyfriend who showed up in one episode of least year's series).

Unfortunately I couldn't turn my love love into a TV show, the main character is unbearably pretentious and inherently unlikeable. Also a) is autistic and b) acts like a horny twelve year old at anything with some vague relation to sex.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll come to terms with the fact I'll end up alone one of these years. (I, uh, really don't know if I should put that in blue text at this point)

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've actually started making jokes along those lines, although generally I'm one of the bit characters (generally the jerk boyfriend who showed up in one episode of least year's series).

Unfortunately I couldn't turn my love love into a TV show, the main character is unbearably pretentious and inherently unlikeable. Also a) is autistic and b) acts like a horny twelve year old at anything with some vague relation to sex.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll come to terms with the fact I'll end up alone one of these years. (I, uh, really don't know if I should put that in blue text at this point)
    Pshaaaah. Therein lies your problem. Start thinking of yourself as a leading man type! Decide what you want out of life, and then figure out how to become the person who gets what you want out of life. Just don't fall in to the Gaston trap where you make assumptions about what other people will want out of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.