New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    We do not discuss bananas here.
    Because of medicine I'm taking if I eat bananas I might die!

Anyway hey so, is it "Beet red" or "beat red" and in what world are beets not ****in' mauve at best?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am having a problem that is far too petty to bring to the Woes and Advice thread.

Spoiler: I am trying to decide if I should buy some kind of barbecue and/or grill type object.
    Show

I am a vegetarian and don't really do fake meat, so I just don't have much in my life that needs to go on a grill. (I know you can grill assorted veggies, but in practice I pretty much don't.)

The last time I lived by myself, someone gave me a hand-me-down gas grill, and after several years of it siting outside my townhouse's front door and doing nothing but accumulating a combination of rust and spiders my neighbors asked if they could borrow it for the afternoon. I decided to give it to them since I never used it, and haven't owned a grill since.

For the past 5-ish years, I've lived with someone with one of those plumbed-in-to-the-natural-gas grills. I used it to make asparagus once. It was pretty tasty asparagus.

I now own my own home, and the backyard screams "summer party house" because it has an in-ground swimming pool and an adjacent yard structure with a plumbed-in sink, a fireplace, and seating. I plan to fill in the small, nasty pond next to that this year and replace it with a patio area. The logical thing to do is also get some kind of grill/barbecue to go on my new pondless patio and throw a bunch of summer potluck grill parties, but I don't eat meat and can't see that I'd ever go outside and cook something if I'm not having a backyard party.

I'm torn between getting a nice, fancy grill of the kind that seems like it goes with my type of yard and vague party plans (probably the plumbed-in gas kind since they involve the least hassle if you're having a large group over), getting a small, low-end propane or charcoal grill that could grill a few token burgers, getting an indoor-outdoor electric grill, or not bothering with the whole thing since I don't really cook on a grill. I can afford to get a nice grill, but don't really feel like spending my discretionary yard fun times budget on a new theme park for rust and spiders that I won't actually use.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anecdotes? Recipes for delicacies involving rusty spiders?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Because of medicine I'm taking if I eat bananas I might die!

Anyway hey so, is it "Beet red" or "beat red" and in what world are beets not ****in' mauve at best?
    ...please don't die, okay, thanks.

Also, it's 'beet red'. And, while beets are, like, crimson, their juices are very, very red. At least to me. (Besides, beet red sounds better than beet mauve.)

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I am having a problem that is far too petty to bring to the Woes and Advice thread.
    My advice? If you know you'll never really use it, don't bother getting it.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-03-13 at 12:23 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: I am trying to decide if I should buy some kind of barbecue and/or grill type object.
    Show

I am a vegetarian and don't really do fake meat, so I just don't have much in my life that needs to go on a grill. (I know you can grill assorted veggies, but in practice I pretty much don't.)

The last time I lived by myself, someone gave me a hand-me-down gas grill, and after several years of it siting outside my townhouse's front door and doing nothing but accumulating a combination of rust and spiders my neighbors asked if they could borrow it for the afternoon. I decided to give it to them since I never used it, and haven't owned a grill since.

For the past 5-ish years, I've lived with someone with one of those plumbed-in-to-the-natural-gas grills. I used it to make asparagus once. It was pretty tasty asparagus.

I now own my own home, and the backyard screams "summer party house" because it has an in-ground swimming pool and an adjacent yard structure with a plumbed-in sink, a fireplace, and seating. I plan to fill in the small, nasty pond next to that this year and replace it with a patio area. The logical thing to do is also get some kind of grill/barbecue to go on my new pondless patio and throw a bunch of summer potluck grill parties, but I don't eat meat and can't see that I'd ever go outside and cook something if I'm not having a backyard party.

I'm torn between getting a nice, fancy grill of the kind that seems like it goes with my type of yard and vague party plans (probably the plumbed-in gas kind since they involve the least hassle if you're having a large group over), getting a small, low-end propane or charcoal grill that could grill a few token burgers, getting an indoor-outdoor electric grill, or not bothering with the whole thing since I don't really cook on a grill. I can afford to get a nice grill, but don't really feel like spending my discretionary yard fun times budget on a new theme park for rust and spiders that I won't actually use.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anecdotes? Recipes for delicacies involving rusty spiders?
    Get an electric coleman grill and use an extension cord. It can be used inside for pancakes, hashbrowns, etc. and will make for a make-shift grill during the times you want summer grilling. If you end up using it a lot then invest in a better grill.

I grill 2-3 meals a day in summer myself, guaranteeing myself cancer and decent tasting meat. You seem unlikely to be in that position :)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    ...please don't die, okay, thanks.

Also, it's 'beet red'. And, while beets are, like, crimson, their juices are very, very red. At least to me. (Besides, beet red sounds better than beet mauve.)
    I shall not die! Though learning that potassium overdose can kill you after eating the last of a bushel of bananas sure sucked.

I'll accept this, and when it's prepared it looks red...you know, maybe I'm just mixing beets up with turnips in my head. Turnips are way more purple.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'll accept this, and when it's prepared it looks red...you know, maybe I'm just mixing beets up with turnips in my head. Turnips are way more purple.
    I could swear that turnips were white with red skin, or is that radishes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #217

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    The internet's celebrating its 30th birthday right now. Burners-Lee's doing a speaking tour and everything. I'd link in an article, but I can't find one that isn't drenched in politics.
    World Wide Web is not the Internet. The Internet can trace its origins to DARPAnet in 1969, so you could say the Internet is 50 years old.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

If you're not going to grill things don't bother getting a grill, and especially don't bother getting a nice grill. That said, if you do start hosting more now that you can that might push you to do some grilling, especially as you absolutely can grill vegetables (I eat meat, but if I'm busting out the grill odds are it's mostly veggies going on it. By which I mean lots and lots of shish kebabs that have more veggies than pieces of meat) and make some pretty tasty dishes that way (the aforementioned marinated shish kebabs).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What was the greatest argument of the century in this forum?

Only @Rockphed is among recent Random banterers who've been posting to the Forum for even half it's history, among active posters @Kish may have the most history, but I think I've read enough old threads to hazard a guess:

Which make more grammar errors: Istari or Jedi?

followed by

Who rocks robes best: Sheev Palpatine or Saruman?

though

Which gender is Chaotic or Lawful and how does that relate to anime and medieval carpentry?

may be a contender as well.

So contentious were these threads that they've been stricken from search functions, but a good web search function will surely find them!

How dare you doubt me!

Your love of the Halfings' leaf has clearly slowed your mind!

I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, but you have elected the way of pain!

Search your feelings you know it's true!

My grammar is impeccable I tell you!

Sports?

BAH!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #220

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Only @Rockphed is among recent Random banterers who've been posting to the Forum for even half it's history
    So what am I, fried chicken?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Get an electric coleman grill and use an extension cord. It can be used inside for pancakes, hashbrowns, etc. and will make for a make-shift grill during the times you want summer grilling. If you end up using it a lot then invest in a better grill.

I grill 2-3 meals a day in summer myself, guaranteeing myself cancer and decent tasting meat. You seem unlikely to be in that position :)

I have outdoor outlets in the yard structure, so adding an indoor/outdoor electric grill would be pretty straightforward. The previous owner had one on the counter in the yard structure. (We've been calling it a "cabana" but I'm not sure that's correct. It has a roof, one open side, and the other sides have counters/cabinets but are open-air above the counters. There's a kitchen sink with running water, a fireplace, electric overhead lights, and electrical outlets. I think the real estate listing called it an "outdoor kitchen", but that feels like it's stretching things to me. In practice, it's where we go to drink beer once it's reasonably warm outside. It also is in need of some pretty serious maintenance, but that's another thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    If you're not going to grill things don't bother getting a grill, and especially don't bother getting a nice grill. That said, if you do start hosting more now that you can that might push you to do some grilling, especially as you absolutely can grill vegetables (I eat meat, but if I'm busting out the grill odds are it's mostly veggies going on it. By which I mean lots and lots of shish kebabs that have more veggies than pieces of meat) and make some pretty tasty dishes that way (the aforementioned marinated shish kebabs).
    Yeah, that's why I'm having trouble figuring out what to do. I don't see myself grilling when I don't have company, but the "everyone bring something to throw on the grill" potluck party is about the easiest kind of food event to host in the summer.

I'm allergic to peppers and have trouble with onions, so veggie shish kebabs don't hold much appeal for me either, unfortunately.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

redface Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post

Well definitely not a spring chicken!

And also a bit of a Ninja/Swordsage/Shadow-monk

:
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Oh, not at all, I like fried chicken.

Little US The Office humor there for ya, since I know y'all only got two series. That's the great thing about British tv, they give you closure! bonus points if you recognize THAT reference, btw
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Well I decided to pop into my FLGS, because I was in central anyway, and they had a copy of Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0.! I mean, I know it's been back in print for a little bit, but I missed it the last time they've had a copy in and I've been trying to get a decently priced copy for literally years. While I understand that the rules aren't incredibly well balanced and that it very much suffers from the Decker/Netrunner problem it's still oozing with style that you don't really see in modern cyberpunk games (and it can fit nicely alongside Shadowrun 3e in my collection).

I mean, there's a lot of great stuff in here, from the art, to the lifepath system, to the setting information itself. I'm really glad I managed to get it before they sold out again.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If you eat it often enough and in great quantity, yes.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Did anyone know that D&D Dragon Deity Tiamat has a nickname? Her nickname is Tia. Also, Tia and Tamara have the same name as the twins Tia and Tamara Johnson. Tamara is also a D&D Dragon deity. Facts.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's why I'm having trouble figuring out what to do. I don't see myself grilling when I don't have company, but the "everyone bring something to throw on the grill" potluck party is about the easiest kind of food event to host in the summer.

I'm allergic to peppers and have trouble with onions, so veggie shish kebabs don't hold much appeal for me either, unfortunately.
    "Everyone bring something to throw on the grill" is potentially enough to justify a pretty basic charcoal grill (the cheap ones), especially if you host parties. As for the shish kebabs there's always potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and a few other options though peppers and onions being out really does hurt the options there.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else picked up Baba Is You? Very cute indie puzzle game, some pretty tricky ones in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground

today is my birthday!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    today is my birthday!
    Happy birthday.

21. - Top - End - #231

today is my birthday!
    Happy birthday! Hope it's a good one!

22. - Top - End - #232

today is my birthday!
    Happy Birthday. Hope you have fun.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

today is my birthday!
    Happy birthday! (And a happy unbirthday to everybody else.)
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Happy birthday! (And a happy unbirthday to everybody else.)
    Does that mean I de-age?

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Does that mean I de-age?
    I've hit that point in my life where I don't even have the desire to be younger. I mean, I wouldn't mind the lack of pain and all, but I was an idiot and I have no desire to revisit that.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    I've hit that point in my life where I don't even have the desire to be younger. I mean, I wouldn't mind the lack of pain and all, but I was an idiot and I have no desire to revisit that.
    I wouldn't want to be younger me, I just want his body

27. - Top - End - #237

I wouldn't want to be younger me, I just want his body
    Yes, this. I have no illusions that I was a smart or good person in my youth. I'm smarter and better now, but my back decided it hates its job and protests at every opportunity.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, this. I have no illusions that I was a smart or good person in my youth. I'm smarter and better now, but my back decided it hates its job and protests at every opportunity.
    Right? I used to wonder why people groan when they get out of chairs, now I sound like an ancoent dog when I do it.

I also miss not having any sensitivity to stimulants. Mountain dew before bed, four energy drinks at noon, etc. Now I drink coffee at 11AM and I know I won't be sleeping tonight :(

29. - Top - End - #239

Right? I used to wonder why people groan when they get out of chairs, now I sound like an ancoent dog when I do it.

I also miss not having any sensitivity to stimulants. Mountain dew before bed, four energy drinks at noon, etc. Now I drink coffee at 11AM and I know I won't be sleeping tonight :(
    I seem to have skipped that one. I can drink four cups of coffee and take a nap. The back pain struggle is real though. I've pretty much just added ibuprofen to my morning supplement routine.

30. - Top - End - #240

I miss being able to eat food with impunity. Nothing would knock me over 160lbs, I wouldn't require bathroom access after certain meals, life was great.