New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I miss being able to eat food with impunity. Nothing would knock me over 160lbs, I wouldn't require bathroom access after certain meals, life was great.
    That wasn't so bad either.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    today is my birthday!

Here's wishing you a delightful and satisfying birthday!

Also, age isn't a number...

....it's more of a collection of wounds.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #243

As far as most contentious arguments...

This one likely isn't the most contentious, but since I was involved (actually the person who screwed up big-time and got roasted by everybody on the forum) I would certainly consider it up there with the contenders.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...vor+brazenburn

And some of the other similar threads on the same topic.

(Disclaimer: I have come to seriously regret what I did in that campaign and do not by any means think my actions were excusable. I don't want to restart this fire, so please don't be attacking me over it. I'm past that now.)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

On an unrelated note, I have survived another Pi Day. Every year I throw an all-ages-invited Pi Day party at the k-12 school where I work, and it has very much turned into an Elementary School Thing over the years, because high schoolers are mostly too cool for voluntary attendance at math parties even if there's food. I finally wised up and started asking for parent volunteer helpers last year, which has helped, but there is definitely a reason why I do not teach elementary school and usually work with older students.

I am now celebrating "at home with a bottle of wine day". I may celebrate it again tomorrow evening!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    On an unrelated note, I have survived another Pi Day. Every year I throw an all-ages-invited Pi Day party at the k-12 school where I work, and it has very much turned into an Elementary School Thing over the years, because high schoolers are mostly too cool for voluntary attendance at math parties even if there's food. I finally wised up and started asking for parent volunteer helpers last year, which has helped, but there is definitely a reason why I do not teach elementary school and usually work with older students.

I am now celebrating "at home with a bottle of wine day". I may celebrate it again tomorrow evening!
    Considering how this week is going, I may join you in spirit (heh) either tomorrow or Saturday.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to double check: is it "all y'all" for singular and "alls y'all" for plural, or "alls y'all" for singular and "alls y'alls" for plural{?}
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Just to double check: is it "all y'all" for singular and "alls y'all" for plural, or "alls y'all" for singular and "alls y'alls" for plural{?}
    All y'all is for large groups. The letter S is never involved.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #248

All y'all is for large groups. The letter S is never involved.
    Which is not to be confused with "yens" which is particularly used by my cousins from Kansas in place of y'all.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    The "problem player" thread(s?) from a few years back probably counts, if it's specifically arguments on this forum you're asking about. Haven't got a link saved anywhere... Anyone else remember those? I specifically remember something about how all summoning spells had a random chance of summoning hostiles in their game, and something about non-tracked spell component pouches being cheating.
    The greatest argument of the century was probably in one of the roleplaying game sections, so I probably havent seen it, but I think the greatest argument in the OotS section might have been the "Morally Justified" discussion. This one went on for two threads and wasn't really that toxic, but it left quite a mark on the subforum for years to come, both in references and changes in mod rulings.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Anyway hey so, is it "Beet red" or "beat red" and in what world are beets not ****in' mauve at best?
    Beetroot is extremely red, and any differently coloured beetroot has only been cultivated for novelty's sake.

Fun fact: large consumption of beetroot will colour your urine red.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Beetroot is extremely red, and any differently coloured beetroot has only been cultivated for novelty's sake.
    I think pickling the beetroot, which is commonly done, tends to make them darker and more purple, which is maybe where LaZodiac is coming from.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I think pickling the beetroot, which is commonly done, tends to make them darker and more purple, which is maybe where LaZodiac is coming from.
    Nah, common beetroots are pretty red all the way through even when raw, although pickling them does make it more evenly distributed.

Spoiler: Image for Reference
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Nah, common beetroots are pretty red all the way through even when raw, although pickling them does make it more evenly distributed.

Spoiler: Image for Reference
    Show
    Hm, the darker rings in that look pretty purplish to me. Maybe it's a word definition thing? Magenta seems kind of redish, but it's actually a mix of red and blue light, like cyan seems sort of bluish, but is actually a mix of blue and green lights (light mixes go brighter, pigment mixes go darker).
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-03-15 at 01:26 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Hm, the darker rings in that look pretty purplish to me. Maybe it's a word definition thing? Magenta seems kind of redish, but it's actually a mix of red and blue light, like cyan seems sort of bluish, but is actually a mix of blue and green lights (light mixes go brighter, pigment mixes go darker).
    That's way too hair-splitting for common speech, especially when it comes to old sayings. When colour is used to describe something to someone else so that they might recognise it later, you both need to use a small enough set of names so that you don't end up fundamentally disagreeing on what colour that something is. That's how you end up with red foxes and red hair, despite neither of those being nearly the same hue as a red rose, for example. The fox is red because it's more red than yellow. The hair is red because it's more red than purple. The same goes for the beetroot.

Precise colour names are for picking colours, not describing them.

That said, I can't rule out that the fact that beetroot is named "red beet" ("rödbeta") in Swedish might be colouring my perception of them somewhat.

Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

When I describe something (such as the rules in a particular Twitch chat) as "long" people read me as saying "too long" and then when I point out the difference they claim that I'm repeating myself, even if I specifically say I'm "not complaining."

Then they threaten to ban me for "disagreeing" with those rules that I perfectly well agree with, citing that if I "don't like them" I don't have to be there... even though I said I do like them.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

When I describe something (such as the rules in a particular Twitch chat) as "long" people read me as saying "too long" and then when I point out the difference they claim that I'm repeating myself, even if I specifically say I'm "not complaining."

Then they threaten to ban me for "disagreeing" with those rules that I perfectly well agree with, citing that if I "don't like them" I don't have to be there... even though I said I do like them.
    Have you tried simply avoiding making obvious statements? People usually don't state obvious things unless there's some implicit approval or disapproval to it, and for rules, that implication is definitely disapproval. And when you say you were only stating the obvious with no implications whatsoever, well, to cite XKCD: "Communicating badly and then acting smug when you're misunderstood is not cleverness.". You might not feel like that was what you were doing, but that's probably how you came off to everyone else.

Show

16. - Top - End - #256

Have you tried simply avoiding making obvious statements? People usually don't state obvious things unless there's some implicit approval or disapproval to it, and for rules, that implication is definitely disapproval. And when you say you were only stating the obvious with no implications whatsoever, well, to cite XKCD: "Communicating badly and then acting smug when you're misunderstood is not cleverness.". You might not feel like that was what you were doing, but that's probably how you came off to everyone else.
    I feel like this is at least 90% of enderlord’s Whole Thing, so I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish here.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    I feel like this is at least 90% of enderlord’s Whole Thing, so I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish here.
    It's not on purpose; I'm just legitimately bad at communication. I was tempted to say I was good at it, but that would be false and I try to avoid saying things that are false (even if people insist on hearing them when I talk.)

Also, how exactly was I smug?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-03-15 at 08:10 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

18. - Top - End - #258

It's not on purpose; I'm just legitimately bad at communication. I was tempted to say I was good at it, but that would be false and I try to avoid saying things that are false (even if people insist on hearing them when I talk.)

I never really saw anything as intentional, but the need to qualify things like "even if people insist on hearing them when I talk" could be read as smug. I generally try to give people the benefit of the doubt (though God knows I'm not perfect at that) and assume that they didn't think of the fact that tone doesn't transfer into text well.

19. - Top - End - #259

First, thank you every one for the birthday wishes,

Second,
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Here's wishing you a delightful and satisfying birthday!

Also, age isn't a number...

....it's more of a collection of wounds.
    Oh, you wouldn't BELIEVE how true that is! And that is not even including the medical trauma of 2011!

I miss being able to eat food with impunity. Nothing would knock me over 160lbs

i haven't seen that weight since 7th grade.

I wouldn't require bathroom access after certain meals, life was great.
    Try missing 2 feet of your lower intestines. because of that, I cannot eat peanut butter or peanuts, walnuts or beans.

I am also missing my appendix and my belly button. i did traded those for what I am missing with massive abdominal scarring of the dermal and sub dermal varieties.
    over all, if I eat the wrong food, I can get dehydrated overnight as well as no sleep.
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2019-03-15 at 08:52 PM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

20. - Top - End - #260

The greatest argument of the century was probably in one of the roleplaying game sections, so I probably havent seen it, but I think the greatest argument in the OotS section might have been the "Morally Justified" discussion. This one went on for two threads and wasn't really that toxic, but it left quite a mark on the subforum for years to come, both in references and changes in mod rulings.

Fun fact: large consumption of beetroot will colour your urine red.
    The ringed sections look way purple, and the outside looks more mauve to me. It's only once it's all mashed and stuff or juiced that it looks red.

Regarding what Enderlord said: as I know you are bad with communication and trying to get better, I'm not gonna dunk on you. You've become a better person since I first met you and I think that matters. Communicating poorly and being smug about it (which isn't what you did near I can tell, and is not something I think you've ever done really) is pretty nasty, but it also requires intent. People have difficulty reading intent online, since like tone it is kind of impossible to read, so most people just default to assuming based on their personality and experiences, and most statements that would make someone mad are intentional, ergo...yeah.

That being said given the context I have no ****ing clue why any would get made at you. Observing that the rules are very long isn't negative, it's a joke. "Wow that's a lot of rules" can certainly seem bad, but a quick explanation of "Oh no it's fine i just thought the list was huge" should clear that up. I don't think anything wrong.

21. - Top - End - #261

I just want to take a moment to brag that I'm GMing my first D&D group in years and it's going really well, five sessions in. It's a wonderful feeling to be actively looking forward to the next session again, and I've really missed this.

The campaign I'm running is Pathfinder. I know basically nothing about Pathfinder 2.0 but I'm aware it's a thing. What's it meant to do, and when's its expected release?
    Awesome avatar by Shades Of Gray!

I really need to find some new quotes to put here.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

No idea, you didn't quote what you said verbatim. Also note that I didn't say that you were smug, I said that I think that might have been what everyone else perceived you as, prompting their reactions.

And here's a very important thing about communication: It's not about the verity of the words. Language purely as a set of words and grammars is really inefficient for conveying what people want to communicate, so they put an unwritten layer of subtext on top of it (or under it if you don't like the oxymoron) to create shortcuts. A large chunk of those shortcuts depend on people not otherwise saying things that don't need to be said. If you go and do state the obvious, people will think you meant something more with it, and miscommunication happens.

The ringed sections look way purple, and the outside looks more mauve to me. It's only once it's all mashed and stuff or juiced that it looks red.
    I'd say it's between purple and a rich dark red, which I consider defaults to red. "Mauve" is a word from 1856.

That being said given the context I have no ****ing clue why any would get made at you. Observing that the rules are very long isn't negative, it's a joke. "Wow that's a lot of rules" can certainly seem bad, but a quick explanation of "Oh no it's fine i just thought the list was huge" should clear that up. I don't think anything wrong.
    Doesn't joking about the length of the rules imply disagreeing with their length or presentation to some degree, though? It usually implies that you found them a bit daunting, and that isn't a positive thing. If the regulars agree that they might not be written in the best way for newcomers, they'll probably laugh along and welcome you. If they don't, they'll probably think you're whiny and tell you off.

Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

note that I didn't say that you were smug, I said that I think that might have been what everyone else perceived you as
    I wasn't responding to you when I mentioned it wasn't on purpose; I was responding to the person who called it "90% of my whole thing" which seemed to me to imply "he does it on purpose for a laugh" which is very false. It might have not implied that, but it seemed to to me. Again: you are not the one I was responding to.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #264

BlueWizardGirl

I'd say it's between purple and a rich dark red, which I consider defaults to red. "Mauve" is a word from 1856.
    Which is to say it is 63 years better. Also, why use something like reddish purple when Mauve describes exactly what you mean. It is the same lack of precision that causes people to talk about one using fancy long words when they should be talking about the sesquipedalian character of their speech. (Needless to say, I get the "long words" complaint decently often.)

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

25. - Top - End - #265

Doesn't joking about the length of the rules imply disagreeing with their length or presentation to some degree, though? It usually implies that you found them a bit daunting, and that isn't a positive thing. If the regulars agree that they might not be written in the best way for newcomers, they'll probably laugh along and welcome you. If they don't, they'll probably think you're whiny and tell you off.
    I mean what is "the middle of purple and rich, dark, red" if not mauve

A large list of rules being daunting is not necessarily negative.

And yeah they did the latter in this scenario. Which I think is a little silly, personally.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    Which is to say it is 63 years better. Also, why use something like reddish purple when Mauve describes exactly what you mean. It is the same lack of precision that causes people to talk about one using fancy long words when they should be talking about the sesquipedalian character of their speech. (Needless to say, I get the "long words" complaint decently often.)

—Caerulea
    Than what word from 1919?

And you might do it because the word will not be invented yet for another thousand years. Beetroots have been grown for many millenia, and I wouldn't be surprised if the saying that someone turns beet red can be traced back at least to the middle ages.

I mean what is "the middle of purple and rich, dark, red" if not mauve
    Mauve is a light magenta, not a dark colour. So definitely not mauve .

Besides, the reason the peel of beetroot looks pale is mainly because it's rugged. If you dip it in water, it gets a lot richer in colour.

A large list of rules being daunting is not necessarily negative.
    Daunting means someone could be scared away from reading the rules due to their sheer length, so yes, negative.

And yeah they did the latter in this scenario. Which I think is a little silly, personally.
    We have absolutely no context and I could see scenarios where their reaction isn't unreasonable, so I'm refraining from making judgement.

Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Mauve is a light magenta, not a dark colour. So definitely not mauve.
    Don't be daft. Magenta is the lightest/brightest of the colours made from mixing red and blue light, it's full red and full blue, there is no paler without adding in green light (magenta pigments are rare). This very probably is a language or translation issue.

When I was a kid I was told that mauve was a colour that I'd now describe as a redish purple, or darker but similar to magenta, which I'd say is an almost pinkish colour.

Your images don't show up.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Your images don't show up.
    They're just modified smileys.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Firbolg in the Playground

They're just modified smileys.
    That are hosted on imgur. Imgur that blocks requests from giantitp. Yeah, I had no idea that Teddy was putting images in his post until it was mentioned that they weren't showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    That are hosted on imgur. Imgur that blocks requests from giantitp.
    Correct.
    Yeah, I had no idea that Teddy was putting images in his post until it was mentioned that they weren't showing up.
    I was getting an error-placeholder-thing, but I already knew what it was, so I wasn't too put-off by it.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.