New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Why did Greg kill Zz'dtri rather than turning him into a vampire?

A vamped Zz'dtri would have been enslaved to Greg until / unless Greg decided to release him. This much everyone seems to know, so he wouldn't have to kill Zz'dtri to hide how vampirism actually works or anything.

Greg probably couldn't safely release him, both to keep hiding how vampirism works and because, if I understand how it works right, unlike the dwarven vampires, Z's spirit wouldn't be provided by Hel and wouldn't necessarily be loyal, but... he doesn't have to release him. And more importantly, Z is a high-level wizard who can cast Teleport.

Using this, Greg can go straight to the Godsmoot, completely ignoring any interactions with the Order and avoiding them ever learning about his plan. And if / when things do go down, Greg will have a high-level wizard capable of casting Teleport on his side.

Alternatively, he could bring the enslaved Vampire Zz'dtri with him. The order might not be 100% happy about it, but they mind-controlled members of the Linear Guild before, and the benefits of having another wizard are obvious, so it wouldn't be hard for Greg to convince them.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-02-26 at 01:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why did Greg kill Zz'dtri rather than turning him into a vampire?

For one thing, it would make his "I'm just the same old Durkon who doesn't want to be a vampire" act harder. Sure, he might have been able to sell it, but he seems to have decided not to take the risk.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    For one thing, it would make his "I'm just the same old Durkon who doesn't want to be a vampire" act harder. Sure, he might have been able to sell it, but he seems to have decided not to take the risk.
    Aquillion's point is that, with access to teleport, Greg wouldn't have needed to interact with the order at all.

So, headcanon: the moot was protected with anti-teleport defences, and you had to make your way there via more conventional methods (leaving via teleport was fine). For that, he needed non-vampire companions. Which then explains why having a minion wasn't going to work, since Durkon wouldn't have.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Greg had only a few seconds to decide what to do; he opted to go with the plan "convince the Order I'm Durkon and manipulate them into getting me to the Godsmoot," not the plan "reveal immediately that I'm not Durkon* and count on Zz'dtri's magic to get me to the Godsmoot." And frankly, it's far from clear that he was wrong to do so; if anyone--Nale, the Vector Legion, the Order--had destroyed Zz'dtri between Greg draining Zz'dtri's blood and Vampire Zz'dtri casting a spell he might well have not had any more of prepared that day, Greg's entire scheme would have died with Zz'dtri's destruction.

*Note that I find the assertion that Greg could have come back to the Order and said, "I'm Durkon and this is my undead slave, Zz'dtri" and had anyone at all believe that he was Durkon for one second downright preposterous. Roy's excessive tolerance for Belkar and Vaarsuvius' evil aside, he's not stupid enough to think Durkon's moral sense is anything like theirs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

He could also have sent Zz'dtri elsewhere and kept him in reserve without revealing him to the order. There's just not much disadvantage to having a vampire cleric.

(Perhaps he was afraid that Nale would escape and let the order know he vamped Z, though? Hence why he bothered to stay in character in that scene at all.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    He could also have sent Zz'dtri elsewhere and kept him in reserve without revealing him to the order. There's just not much disadvantage to having a vampire cleric.

(Perhaps he was afraid that Nale would escape and let the order know he vamped Z, though? Hence why he bothered to stay in character in that scene at all.)
    Actually, another reason: you can't easily keep a vampire unalive in the middle of a desert, and Greg's only means of achieving it, the staff, might have had limited charges he needed to be very careful about. He couldn't just use them and risk running out when he might need them.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

How fast could Durkon* cast Protection from the Sun after casting Vampire acceleration vs how fast does it take for a vampire of Z's level to burn in the sun? And can Protection from the Sun be cast on a corpse/not yet risen vampire?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

To add on what Kish said, Z had already cast Teleport that day. He could be reasonably expected to prepare it once, but twice is a riskier bet. Also, the vampire spirit inhabiting Zz'dtri's body would never have been to the Godsmoot's location... but then, the comic doesn't really concern itself much with the mishap chance when teleporting into an unfamiliar location.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-02-26 at 01:39 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Actually, another reason: you can't easily keep a vampire unalive in the middle of a desert, and Greg's only means of achieving it, the staff, might have had limited charges he needed to be very careful about. He couldn't just use them and risk running out when he might need them.

Grey Wolf
    Yea, vamping him involves killing him a specific (slow and inconvenient) way, then using the staff to vamp him quicker, then using the staff to shield him before the sun scorches him.

Might just not have been feasible at that time.
    Last edited by Goblin_Priest; 2019-02-26 at 01:44 PM.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Aquillion's point is that, with access to teleport, Greg wouldn't have needed to interact with the order at all.

So, headcanon: the moot was protected with anti-teleport defences, and you had to make your way there via more conventional methods (leaving via teleport was fine). For that, he needed non-vampire companions. Which then explains why having a minion wasn't going to work, since Durkon wouldn't have.

Grey Wolf
    I'd advise a different headcanon, but you, Aquillion, and Kish have all offered other viable reasons already anyway.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-26 at 02:16 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Using this, Greg can go straight to the Godsmoot, completely ignoring any interactions with the Order and avoiding them ever learning about his plan. And if / when things do go down, Greg will have a high-level wizard capable of casting Teleport on his side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'd advise a different headcanon, but you, Aquillion, and Kish have all offered other viable reasons already anyway.
    Oh, hey another strip referencing Wind Walk. Neat.

Regardless of the pros and cons to enslaving Zz'dtri, Greg can cast Wind Walk himself from the standard cleric spell list, so he doesn't really need Teleport anyway. The mechane would have be a great deal faster than 60 mph to be worth the bother of commandeering.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post

Regardless of the pros and cons to enslaving Zz'dtri, Greg can cast Wind Walk himself from the standard cleric spell list, so he doesn't really need Teleport anyway. The mechane would have be a great deal faster than 60 mph to be worth the bother of commandeering.
    Given that wind walk would not be fast enough to get to the godsmoot in time as per this strip, and the Mechane turned out to have been, the only conclusion is that yes, the Mechane is significantly faster than 60 mph.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-02-26 at 02:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post

A. Wind Walk isn't that fast. They note that, moving from Tinkertown, it's not fast enough to get them there before The Moot starts.
    B. In the words of one of Rich's bigger creative influences, JMS, when asked about the exact speed of a ship in his show Babylon 5, "It moves at the speed of plot".Most ships in fiction do,really. The Mechance, however, does so quite literally. It is exactly as fast as it needs to be for the plot to proceed, and, thus, most likely, JUST fast enough to get Durkon* to The Godsmoot RIGHT as the voting is about to start, as it indeed did.
    Given that wind walk would not be fast enough to get to the godsmoot in time as per this strip, and the Mechane turned out to have been, the only conclusion is that yes, the Mechane is significantly faster than 60 mph.

Grey Wolf
    Specifically, it moves at the exact speed needed to get to the destination of plot advancement right before the interesting part goes down.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-02-26 at 02:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

For the record: A standard scroll of wind walk would have the minimum caster level for casting it from the cleric list, which is caster level 11; so it'd last 11 hours...so with HPoH's estimate of 830 miles, that'd leave 170 miles to cover after it expired.

So it's unclear whether it's the speed and/or the duration that's the limiting factor for the scroll...although neither of those appear to limit the Mechane in the traditional sense.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-02-26 at 03:00 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    For the record: A standard scroll of wind walk would have the minimum caster level for casting it from the cleric list, which is caster level 11; so it'd last 11 hours...so with HPoH's estimate of 830 miles, that'd leave 170 miles to cover after it expired.

So it's unclear whether it's the speed and/or the duration that's the limiting factor for the scroll...although neither of those appear to limit the Mechane in the traditional sense.
    Elan and Durkon crossed the Ocean with Wind Walk to reached Greysky City, so I don't think distance is a factor.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Elan and Durkon crossed the Ocean with Wind Walk to reached Greysky City, so I don't think distance is a factor.
    Alternatively, the continents are not that far apart. It could be like Europe-Africa far, rather than Asia-America far.

Grey Wolf

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Durkon can cast the spell himself...including casting it again before it expires. A scroll is single-use.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, a high-level cleric can have multiple castings ready per day, and Durkula doesn't need to sleep, so in theory he can travel about 1400 miles per day under his own power.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Alternatively, the continents are not that far apart. It could be like Europe-Africa far, rather than Asia-America far.

Grey Wolf
    These distances vary considerably depending on where you are on the continents. The Strait of Bering is 83km wide and the strait of Gibraltar is 14 km wide but that doesn't help some going from Greece to Egypt or from Peru to Vietnam.

They look pretty far apart relative to continent size, though.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Furthermore, were they even crossing between continents? They had been searching around the southern continent for allies, but were we ever told where they were looking for possible new homes? V teleported the fleet to the island off the Western Continent, but that happened after Elan and Durkon had left. It's entirely possible they were not far from the coast to begin with (unless I am forgetting something, which is certainly possible).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    Furthermore, were they even crossing between continents? They had been searching around the southern continent for allies, but were we ever told where they were looking for possible new homes? V teleported the fleet to the island off the Western Continent, but that happened after Elan and Durkon had left. It's entirely possible they were not far from the coast to begin with (unless I am forgetting something, which is certainly possible).
    Oh right, I got the order of things backward. Yeah, the fleet was probably still near the Southern Continent.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

HPoH is still lawful like Durkon, he could see it as avenging the murderers of his "master."
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    HPoH is still lawful like Durkon, he could see it as avenging the murderers of his "master."
    Or as potential nuisances to his mistress's plan.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    Or as potential nuisances to his mistress's plan.
    Another possibility is that Durkula grabbed at a Durkon-memory of Z and Nale, and arrived at:
    But tha two o' ye're still tha same old *****.
    With the accent noted, at this point there is likely a lot of Durkon to draw from as Durkula settles into he new host.

With Malack fresh dead, the Occam's Razor approach argues that Greg harnessed his inner Durkon for that moment since they were both rivals, and had just offed his master.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-02-26 at 09:25 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Given that wind walk would not be fast enough to get to the godsmoot in time as per 0987, and the Mechane turned out to have been, the only conclusion is that yes, the Mechane is significantly faster than 60 mph.

Grey Wolf
    Real life airships top out at between 120 and 150 miles per hour, the main limiting factor being air resistance--when you get much above that, it becomes more energy efficient per unit cargo to use an airplane instead.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    Real life airships top out at between 120 and 150 miles per hour, the main limiting factor being air resistance--when you get much above that, it becomes more energy efficient per unit cargo to use an airplane instead.
    But, again, The Mechane’s speed is just “plot”, so...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This also brings up another good point, why didn’t Greg just join the Linear guild instead of throwing his lot with the Order of the Stick who were in a pit and surrounded by soldiers?

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by paladinofshojo View Post
    This also brings up another good point, why didn’t Greg just join the Linear guild instead of throwing his lot with the Order of the Stick who were in a pit and surrounded by soldiers?
    Nale is less likely to want to go to the godsmoot, I suspect. (Also dead, but he wouldn't know about that). He would also have some overly complex plan that would be foiled at the last minute by the Order anyway, so not much there.

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by paladinofshojo View Post
    They weren't surrounded by soldiers until after he killed Zz'dtri, and it's not like the Linear Guild were in the best of shape either.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    Woah. Where are these numbers coming from?