New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Banned

BardGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1157 - The Discussion Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No it wasn't.
    Keltest (I think was him?) did so extensively, so yes, yes it was. Not sure why you would claim otherwise.

You really think none of them would think to ask any of this?
    Really? Then what are you doing?
    Indeed, I think I'll start ignoring some such repeats
    Also I'm not fond of multi-quote towers of text.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    You’re arguing against straw men here.
    NOBODY said Hel’s plan was flawless. NOBODY.
    Hel is clearly a foolish, vain, easily tricked god, and her plans are often not very well considered (unless Sphinx Pox as a backup plan sounds like a good idea).
    If you’re trying to argue with the people who believe that Hel’s plan is infallible, then you’re not actually arguing with anyone at all.
    Then we're both in agreement that the vampire's belief that the plan will work is to be taken with a grain of salt, and thus doubting it is perfectly legitimate.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbatte View Post
    Keltest (I think was him?) did so extensively, so yes, yes it was. Not sure why you would claim otherwise.
    Because neither you nor Keltest were convincing as your arguments and questions were countered and answered. "We already discussed this" is not the same as "we already settled this". Simply pointing out that the #1155 exist and got to 40 pages over this nonsense as if it supports your position in any way is not an argument.

As long as you don't then behave as if you had successfully made your case.

And I'm not fondd of you mispelling my username, so I will go on not caring.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    It is holy Ale.
    And yes they have some of that

sch
    This is similar to my idea; Durkon casts Hallow. It doesn't affect anyone directly, and still suppresses the effects on everyone possessed. The mental control would be suppressed within the Protection from Evil affects. Even if we assume Durkon can't use the (optional) effect to cast Death Ward or Dispel Magic on any Alignment the Vampires all share, the Protection from Evil portion should work out from 40 feet. It's not fool-proof, and it's not everyone, but depending on how tightly packed everyone is, it might be enough of a push to take away a supposed advantage. And two or more Clerics is 80+ feet protected.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Banned

BardGirl

Because neither you nor Keltest were convincing as your arguments and questions were countered and answered.
    You don't need to have convinced everyone in order to say you eviscerated an argument, but merely stated and explained one's position extensively to the point nothing new can be added.
    That's what it means to say you eviscerated an argument, settlement and universal agreement is not part of it and I never claimed anything like that.

This feels like another case of misusing terms like before with doubts and conclusions.

As long as you don't then behave as if you had successfully made your case.
    Dunno, I got some to agree, some to disagree. I'd say it was pretty succesfull overall.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Now I'm certain you aren't arguing in good faith.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Banned

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    How come? Explain?

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

You don't need to have convinced everyone in order to say you eviscerated an argument, but merely stated and explained one's position extensively to the point nothing new can be added.
    That's what it means to say you eviscerated an argument, settlement and universal agreement is not part of it and I never claimed anything like that.
    No, you don't, you need to have arguments that cannot be reasonably refuted. You did not, and do not have those.

This feels like another case of misusing terms like before with doubts and conclusions.
    There was no such thing. Your doubts are the conclusions I was referring to.

Dunno, I got some to agree, some to disagree. I'd say it was pretty succesfull overall.
    Again, getting people to agree with you does not make you right.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #458

BlueWizardGirl

How come? Explain?
    Because you're using some scorecard in lieu of actual arguments and are plainly saying how you don't like thorough rebuttals.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

That's what it means to say you eviscerated an argument...
    Now I think you’re just trying to get a free argument out of us.

I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue any more.

If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

10. - Top - End - #460

HalflingRogueGuy

Then we're both in agreement that the vampire's belief that the plan will work is to be taken with a grain of salt, and thus doubting it is perfectly legitimate.
    No, I think the vampires actually 100% believe the plan will work.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Banned

BardGirl

Because you're using some scorecard in lieu of actual arguments and are plainly saying how you don't like thorough rebuttals.
    No, that's a strawman. I'm fine with through rebuttals so long they're readable and to the point. I'm plainly not fond of towers of multi-quoted texts which require another multi-quoted tower to respond to, likely to generate a third of double that size in response leading to endless confusion and bickering.

I've had more than enough of my fair share of forum posting to know how such things make it harder and harder to have an actual discussion and likely to lead to misunderstandings and missing of one's points constantly, so that's when I raise my hands and say "Sorry, but sorry, shorter please".

Which by the way is the reason why I'm always cutting down size and trying to be as concise as possible.

Now I think you’re just trying to get a free argument out of us.
    Claiming that an argument has been eviscerated is not claiming that an argument has been settled or has convinced everyone.
    That is all, and I believe even you would agree on the difference.

Fyraltari claimed something I didn't say and so I corrected and explained why not.

No, I think the vampires actually 100% believe the plan will work.
    The vampires, yes.
    Last edited by Ganbatte; 2019-03-04 at 11:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Claiming that an argument has been eviscerated is not claiming that an argument has been settled or has convinced everyone.
    Then why bring it up? All you are saying is "we already discussed this". If you meant to follow it by "So we should drop the subject because neither of us is convincing the other" then do so.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #463

BlueWizardGirl

No, that's a strawman. I'm fine with through rebuttals so long they're readable and to the point. I'm plainly not fond of towers of multi-quoted texts which require another multi-quoted tower to respond to, likely to generate a third of double that size in response leading to endless confusion and bickering.

I've had more than enough of my fair share of forum posting to know how such things make it harder and harder to have an actual discussion and likely to lead to misunderstandings and missing of one's points constantly, so that's when I raise my hands and say "Sorry, but sorry, shorter please".

Which by the way is the reason why I'm always cutting down size and trying to be as concise as possible.

That is all, and I believe even you would agree on the difference.

Fyraltari claimed something I didn't say and so I corrected and explained why not.

The vampires, yes.
    You are literally using a multi quote tower post to say how much you don't like other people using them. Bad faith.

You are deliberately using final words like "eviscerated" to describe something you're tired of discussing, to avoid making an argument. Bad faith.

You are claiming that a long discussion has a decided result, and what's more, that that result is in your favor, then telling people to just read the thread instead of disagreeing with you. Bad faith.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Banned

BardGirl

No, you don't, you need to have arguments that cannot be reasonably refuted. You did not, and do not have those.
    Nope. It quite literally means "to take everything out", and ends there. The rest is an extra you're trying to inject where it doesn't belong.
    Anyway we're arguing semantics now, so I'm gonna no longer care about what you believe "to eviscerate an argument" means. Agree to disagree.

Either way it was already discussed in depth back then.

There was no such thing. Your doubts are the conclusions I was referring to.
    Doubts are uncertain possibilities, what if's yet to be confirmed, they're not conclusions. Again your definitions are skewed.

Again, getting people to agree with you does not make you right.
    Obviously. Thing is, I never claimed to be right.

Then why bring it up? All you are saying is "we already discussed this". If you meant to follow it by "So we should drop the subject because neither of us is convincing the other" then do so.
    You brought it up, and like before I refused to repeat stuff already repeated way too many times by me and Keltest (?).
    See whatever meaning you want in it, but I'm not gonna spend energy saying stuff already said in plenty.

*see now how this is already looking bad, Aveline?

15. - Top - End - #465

SolithKnightGuy

The irony
    I wonder if people actually read what they post?
    Imagine saying you don’t want to continue with an argument and then continue that argument for 5 pages or even 40
    Here’s the thing - if you have won an argument about an issue in the past then you wouldn’t get people saying no you didn’t
    If you had won that argument you would have those people saying you were right then
    None of that has happened
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

16. - Top - End - #466
    Banned

BardGirl

You are literally using a multi quote tower post to say how much you don't like other people using them. Bad faith.
    You are deliberately using final words like "eviscerated" to describe something you're tired of discussing, to avoid making an argument. Bad faith.
    I'm addressing multiple people at once, Aveline, since the forum rules do not allow multiple subsequent posts.
    Try doing that without using two or three quotes, not an easy task... and not enough for a tower.

Also eviscerating is a synonym to shorten "exposing every facet of something", so I'm not sure what you mean by "final words" here.
    Are synonyms final words? If they are nobody told me.

You are claiming that a long discussion has a decided result, and what's more, that that result is in your favor, then telling people to just read the thread instead of disagreeing with you. Bad faith.
    False. Never claimed a decided result, never claimed that result was in my favour.
    I see three accusations here, ironically enough none of which made in good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    The irony
    Imagine saying you don’t want to continue with an argument and then continue that argument for 5 pages or even 40
    Here’s the thing - if you have won an argument about an issue in the past then you wouldn’t get people saying no you didn’t
    If you had won that argument you would have those people saying you were right then
    Indeed, none of that has happened. Because I never once said I won that argument.

I wonder if people actually read what they read?
    Last edited by Ganbatte; 2019-03-04 at 12:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    And how does that help Hel in any way? Evil isn't one big happy family all after the same things--heck, we even have an example of that within Team Evil itself, where Redcloak and Xykon's objectives are distinctly different.
    Well, IF TE move into position to threaten the last gates, gods will have to pull the plug, thus giving Hel influx of dwarven souls.

18. - Top - End - #468

HalflingRogueGuy

Nope. It quite literally means "to take everything out", and ends there.
    Eviscerate means to deprive something of its essential content.

Which, to be honest, is something I actually agree you’ve done to this argument.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Banned

BardGirl

Eviscerate means to deprive something of its essential content.

Which, to be honest, is something I actually agree you’ve done to this argument.
    Now I think you’re just trying to get a free argument out of me.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Wrangler View Post
    Well, IF TE move into position to threaten the last gates, gods will have to pull the plug, thus giving Hel influx of dwarven souls.
    If you'll be more specific about "move into position to threaten the last gate[s]," I might offer you a bet here. Are you saying the world will immediately be destroyed by the gods if Redcloak and Xykon go into the (for purposes of this hypothetical, assume the Gate is indeed just at the back of one of the caves in Monster Hollow like they currently think) correct cave? That it will be destroyed if they come within sight of the Gate?

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with treating a discussion on this forum as a zero sum game is that one ends up with the old Monty Python "that isn't an argument that's just contradiction" problem for page after page.

I am not sure if this can be helped, but I thought I'd point that out.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-03-04 at 01:18 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    The irony
    kermittea.gif

23. - Top - End - #473

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Why would it? Making a vampire, sure, seeing as it involves murder but being one? Again: vampires are really rare. Laws deal with known and maybe predictable issues. And the latter is not even that common: witness governments in RL scrambling to catch up to the issues the Internet causes.

Grey Wolf
    Vampires are rare, undead are not.

I wouldn't expect rules directed at vampires specifically... but undead in general? Maybe.

Of course they're not followers of Loki here, but still.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post

I wouldn't expect rules directed at vampires specifically... but undead in general? Maybe.

"Sir, it seems the Church of Loki is pushing hard on these Anti-Undead rules."

"I don't know how or why, but they're part of some scheme he's cooking up. Scrap the lot of them."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Common undead are non-free-willed, though. The laws don't apply to them as much as what you can do to them. "It shall not be murder if the individual attacked was an undead" kind of deal. But I can't imagine a law stating "zombies attending the meetings is illegal" in the same sense that no-one makes a law against rats being at a place - just that you are allowed to kill them if they show up.

Again: politicians. I wouldn't put it past them to worship Loki on the quiet.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    But I can't imagine a law stating "zombies attending the meetings is illegal" in the same sense that no-one makes a law against rats being at a place - just that you are allowed to kill them if they show up.
    We have explicit bans on rats, actually - in restaurants and factories processing food - over and above the general lack of protection afforded to them. Not that zombies are so specifically inimical to the council's duties and process, in the way rats are to keeping food clean, that one would expect a specific prohibition.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    We have explicit bans on rats, actually - in restaurants and factories processing food - over and above the general lack of protection afforded to them. Not that zombies are so specifically inimical to the council's duties and process, in the way rats are to keeping food clean, that one would expect a specific prohibition.
    Sorry, I didn't express that too well. While I can believe there are laws against rats in X spaces, I can't see the law stated as "the rats walking in are breaking the law" - i.e. I suspect that any laws that are in place against undead might allow the OotS to attack the vampires, but it won't turn the vampires to stone just for entering the chamber.

Yeah, I'm doing a poor job of this. it's clear what I mean in my head, but I'm not sure I can put it in words. It comes down, I feel, to the idea that, since common undead don't have wills of their own, the laws will not be written against their decision to go places, but instead, say, target the person that created them (so if you tried to raise the dead in the chamber, that might be against the law).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-04 at 02:01 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

28. - Top - End - #478

I believe your point is that it's not against the law for them to exist. Therefore, they are not punished solely for existing.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I believe your point is that it's not against the law for them to exist. Therefore, they are not punished solely for existing.
    More that because they aren't in possiession of their own will, the laws treat them more like objects, and thus the laws don't address what they are doing so much as what can be done to them?

I swear, this makes sense in my head, but I'm starting to suspect it doesn't actually make sense outside of it.

ETA: so, taking up the whole business with rats in restaurants: the law is that the restaurant owner is fined or the restaurant closes and loses its license. But the rats aren't assigned punishment by the law, because the law only concerns itself with individuals with free will. Others get punished, and tasks to remove the rats are assigned, but the rats are treated like you'd treat a sewage leak: disgusting, but not in itself guilty of anything.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-04 at 02:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Ya know, that seems needlessly specific. I'd imagine they could simple ban all non-human animals and call it a day, and let the ADA and/or other applicable laws handle the exemptions.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2