New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The First Adventure (1v1, PF)

He is taken to see the Festival Overseer, a harangued woman who seems to basically live in the now-completed festival grounds. She is presently sorting out an argument between two entertainers. "...I know what he called you, mister Rian, but that is not grounds to remove him from the festival." she turns to the other one. "And you, mister Smith, should be mindful of others." she sends them off and sighs heavily.

She recovers and turns to Nazrael and Caerys with a smile. "Hello! I'm Fiana, festival overseer this year. How can I help you?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Nazrael tries to be as bright and friendly as he can muster.

((Diplomacy - (1d20+1)[14]))

"Good day Lady Fiana! I am Nazrael Spektor and this is my associate Caerys. We are working in tandem with Mr Kestros to investigate the illness that seems to be afflicting some of the people here in your fair town. We were wondering if there was anyone or anything that is different about the festival this year, or if it is the same as it has always been?"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

She maintains her smile, seeming a little more genuine. "Mister Spektor... I see Kestros has let you off the hook. We have three new attractions this year. First is the imagist, Gregory, another is a fortune teller, an old gnome lady by name of Tyrasha, and the last is a local young brewer, Niklas. Of course this is also my first time in charge of running this, which is rather... unfortunate." Fiana explains.

"No doubt" Caerys says, sympathetic. "The good news is that I think the victims are incidental. Not targeted deliberately. There seems to be no connection other than the festival."

4. - Top - End - #184

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods.

"Why is it your first time running it? What happened to the previous Festival director? Also, can you tell me a little bit more about the three new people?"

Nazrael will try to use his arcane knowledge to see if anything he hears about makes any sense to him as a possible cause.

((Knowledge Arcana - (1d20+9)[20]))

((Knowledge Arcana - (1d20+9)[10]))

((OoC: I've done two rolls as I figured one wouldn't be enough to cover everything, but four would be excessive, though I can do more if you would like))

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Oh, it's a rotating position. Most people give up after one year." she explains. "I can imagine why... But I won't!"

"About the three though... Gregory is a foreigner, well-traveled. He has a foreign accent. He has some kind of alchemical process that captures an image on a slate that he can translate to a page. Seems like weird magic to me. But I hear you're the wizard. Maybe you can make sense of it. He hasn't been very popular I hear."
    That sounds potentially hazardous, but any chemical exposure would affect him too, right?
    "Tyrasha is a gnome. She cultivates an aura of mystery with countless trinkets. She reads your fortune from cards or your hand. I don't know where she is from or where she goes, or how she travels alone safely for that mater. The outside is supposed to be really dangerous."
    She doesn't sound threatening. He knows enough that she is a minor talent at best, or charlatan at worst. There are superstitions about the magical abilities of gnomes, but those are minor things, not something that can knock out half a dozen people.
    "Niklas has been a local troublemaker. Gets in fights, fist and otherwise. Often in debt, borrowing money and trying to make it big. This year's festival is just another opportunity. mean... don't get me wrong, he's good at whatever he tries, but... He has an off-putting attitude..." she whispers the last part.
    He might have a motive, if the victims are connected to him.

(based on the roll, Gregory seems like the culprit, as his mystical process might leave the aura he discovered. That, or the gnome is hiding some serious talent.)

6. - Top - End - #186

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods.

"Thank you for your information! I apologise for bothering you at this busy time, we'll let you get back to work."

He heads off towards the imager's position in the festival, asking for directions to get there, once he arrives he won't go over at first, he'll just watch the Imager process from start to finish first, and also look at Gregory to see if he seems nervous at all, or if it is all a bit misunderstanding.

((Knowledge Arcane - (1d20+9)[12])) ((To understand the Imager process in more detail if possible.))

((Sense Motive - (1d20+2)[7])) ((To see if Gregory appears nervous in any way))

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The imagist, it appears, is not busy, or very popular. Ultimately, he manages to entice a pair of friends wandering the fairgrounds to get a commemorating image.

He takes out the imaging apparatus and prepares the slate, applying a number of chemical treatments with an hourglass in hand as he quietly explains the procedure. The special mixture, along with a special light, permits him to capture the likeness of a man on the slate, and then a further treatment allows for images to be reproduced. He points to three such images on display. Nazrael can recognize two of them depict the victims, whereas the third face is unknown.

He fusses over his customers, arranging them properly. Then raises a tray laden with some powder. There is a flash of odd light and a poof. The tray is empty with smoke rising from it. The man goes to his dark tent and arrives some minutes later with an image of the two. The pair looks fine at this stage.

He can't read Gregory's mental state.

8. - Top - End - #188

ClericGuy

Nazrael goes over to the man.

"Hello good sir! This looks like quite an interesting process... how does it work?"

Once it's been described in a bit more detail he will ask about the pictures already taken.

"How long ago were these taken? Do you have any others?"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hello, kind gentleman, lady" he says with a kindly smile.
    He explains the process in some detail. He says it is a process he learned in a distant land, where he obtained the special chemicals he uses on the slates. and to produce the images.

"Two of those have been taken this week." he says pondering. The dates are written on the images, and both occurred on the day prior to the victim falling unconscious. "The last one was taken a few weeks ago in another village. Much cheaper than a painter, you know."

"I have all the slates stored, so I can make a new image if one is lost or multiple copies are wanted." he explains

10. - Top - End - #190

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods, taking in all the information.

"Could we see the others you've taken?"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Of course, of course" he smiles smelling a customer. "I have many fine examples for you."

He does. Those dated recently, he has images of every victim. Only of every victim. Caerys remains quiet, noting this. There are others as well, one other image marked taken on the same day. It depicts a man in armor, brandishing a blade.

12. - Top - End - #192

ClericGuy

((OoC: Sorry forcthe late reply, I'm currently on holiday, and missed the e-mail telling me you'd replied))

Nazrael nods looking somber.

"Who is this man in armour?"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"He is a travelling warrior called David Hrud. Here for the festival. An outstanding fellow if you ask me." the imagist says.

"Would you two like your images taken?" Gregory asks
    Caerys looks nervous. "I think I shall pass"

14. - Top - End - #194

ClericGuy

Nazrael shakes his head looking slighgly put out, but takes a deep breath and speaks.

"Have you heard of those people falling ill at the festival? If you haven't I'm sure you will soon..."

He pauses.

"It would appear that the only thing they had in common was having a picture taken by you, and we are concerned that your imaging process maybe inadvertantly causing them to fall unwell. Can you think of any way that it might do that?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"What? I haven't... No, that can't be right..." he says, aghast. "I have not had this issue before..."

"Everything you work with, the fluids and such..." Caerys muses. "You're exposed to them, aren't you? And you're still... Upright."
    "What happened to the people?" Gregory asks
    "They've fallen unconscious. Or asleep. They can't be woken."

"Please. You're free to take a look around. I'm sure it must be a coincidence..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Craft Alchemy, Arcana, Religion, or Int checks if Nazrael is untrained in one or all.
    (1d20+7)[24], (1d20+3)[7], (1d20+7)[15] Caerys

16. - Top - End - #196

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods, he then explains who has been taken ill.

"Have you imaged anyone who I haven't mentioned, or seen a picture of?"

((OoC:

Alchemy - (1d20+9)[27]
    Arcana - (1d20+9)[21]
    Religion - (1d20+4)[14] (Untrained) ))

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Not here. In other places though."

Caerys and Nazrael investigate the chemicals used and examine the methods and treatments. Racks of vials glimmer in the dark room. A single lamp lights the space, a flickering flame casting dancing shadows along the walls. Slates marked with the originals are arrayed along one wall. Caerys picks up the lamp for them and examines the labels of the vials. Many of the mixtures have names that Nazrael and Caerys both recognize. While Nazrael may not have seen many of them before, he knows that they possess magical properties useful for amplifying effects of certain spells. Mixed together, they likely have magical properties in and of themselves. He recalls that the latest victim he examined for magical auras had a faint aura of necromancy.

"These alchemical mixtures are really expensive. How much do you charge for an image?" Caerys asks the imagist.
    "3 silver pieces" he replies.
    "Considering the cost of these chemicals, I don't know how you could stay in business..."
    "I paid 25 silver for the entire setup" he says.

Caerys looks at him dubiously.

Nazrael feels anxiety through his empathic link to Corvus, who shifts uneasily on his shoulder.

Show
    Perception. If you want to use Detect Magic, also Spellcraft
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2019-10-30 at 08:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198

ClericGuy

Nazrael looks over the chemicals and tries to figure out if mixing them up would produce any Necromancy effects.

((OoC: Perception roll - (1d20+2)[13], Spellcraft - (1d20+9)[27]))

"Where did you buy them from? There is no way this should have only cost you 25 silver pieces..."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I got it off a travelling merchant from Olivin town" he says, flustered at what he perceives as accusation. Nazrael notes nothing untoward at first, though the lamplight flickers. That sends more shadows dancing across the walls of Gregory's tent. Hues are reflected on the walls that don't really match the intensity of the light. It looks like something moves in the reflections on the vials. Caerys is startled, head whipping to look behind them, only to find empty air. There is a hint of tremor that sends the chemical vials rattling in their racks. Gregory looks about. "What have you done, wizard?" he asks, scared. He clearly has no idea what's going on.

He can recall that the essence of grave lily and extract of a red bellflower would mix to cause a potent necromantic event

20. - Top - End - #200

ClericGuy

Nazrael's face morphs from shock to fear, as he tries to find the ingredients and see if he can separate them at all, if not, or if it's two late for separating them to make a difference (making only a split second decision in either case) he will yell at Caerys and Gregory to leave the tent.

"Get out!! Gregory, go and get the guard, Caerys, be prepared!"

((OoC: What sort of "event" would mixing these two cause?))
    Last edited by ShadowImmor; 2019-11-11 at 05:13 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    A burst of negative energy. Harmful for living things. A large enough dose could cause the creation of undead if a suitable body is present to be suffused with energy. Curse effects are also under necromancy, which could explain what happened to the townsfolk, but this is more inference, rather than something he has read.

Edit: This manifestation is NOT something that should occur from mixing any of these.

Caerys has her weapon hidden in her backpack, so she scrambles to retrieve it. The tent flaps snap closed, and Gregory struggles with it. It seems held shut by magic. The light of the lamp flares, illuminating the space and setting hues of red and purple on the walls. There is no illusion now that these would be reflections of the flask. Eyes reflect from the glass vials, staring at him, glowing white and slit with a pupil. The vials are suddenly uncapped as une, vapour rising from them and gathering together to form a shape. A flabby demonic entity takes shape and lowers to the ground. Short and bloated, it laughs at the puny mortals facing it.

The tent flaps remain stubbornly closed, leaving Nazrael, Caerys and Gregory trapped with the monster inside the small tent. The vials glow with magical energies.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2019-11-12 at 05:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202

ClericGuy

"Well damn..."

Nazrael will look at Caerys and look to the vials.

"Perhaps if we separate the chemicals it will undo this."

He casts mage armour on himself.

"I'll try and distract it, you try and get past it!"

He then looks at the creature.

"Oi ugly! I'm over here, you fat *insert appropriate rude word here*!"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Looks like I was too greedy..." the fiend muses. "Your souls will be a fitting snack...

Caerys tries to manouver around the foe as the demon extends wicked nails from its hands and lashes out at the elf before advancing on Nazrael.

Show
    (1d20+7)[12] #Caerys acrobatics
    (1d20+4)[8] Demon AoO
    (1d20+4)[17], (1d4+1)[5] Demon vs Nazrael
    (1d20+4)[8], (1d4+1)[3] Demon vs Caerys
    (1d20+3)[6] Mystery roll

24. - Top - End - #204

ClericGuy

Nazrael suddenly looks somewhat unsure of himself.

"This was perhaps not one of my wiser ideas..."

He grunts as he is attacked (5 damage taken, 4hp remain)

"Ah! Blast it..." he then casts Magic Missile ((1d4+1)[3] damage) taking his own advice rather more literally.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The demon staggers back. Caerys slashes at the fiend with her blade. "Step back. Nazrael" she says. "Your target is here, fiend"
    She off-handedly picks a vial off the rack. The demon looks to panic a little at that. Corvus moves to the vials, pulling them apart by Nazrael's instructions. Gregory pulls at the flaps of the tent.

The fiend focuses its attention on Caerys, who guards against the attacks.

Show
    Caerys rolls
    (1d20+4)[18]
    (1d20+4)[9] crit confirm
    [roll]1d6+1[roll]
    [roll]1d6+1[roll] crit damage

Fiend rolls vs Caerys
    (1d20+4)[8], [roll]1d4+1[roll]
    (1d20+4)[13], [roll]1d4+1[roll]
    (1d20+3)[17] Mystery roll
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2019-11-26 at 02:13 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

(1d6+1)[4] fixed damage roll

27. - Top - End - #207

ClericGuy

((OoC: What would happen if Nazrael was to smash the vials, or is that a bit no-no?))

Nazrael will try to get past the demon to the vials as well, and begin separating them wherever possible to ensure there are no cross contaminations, allowing Caerys to deal with the demon while he tries to dispel the magical force that brought it into being.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Smashing the vials might be useful. However, he does know that the chemicals might mix to be rather volatile. Then again... That might hurt the demon in more ways than one.

He can make a Craft:alchemy check when breaking the vials.

"Stay" the fiend shrieks at Gregory, "Your usefulness to me is coming to an end..."
    "I never... What are you?"
    "The harvester. Trapped long ago, torn apart" the fiend says. "My will has been restored... And I will pull myself together...

The liquid in the vials appears to boil. They don't feel hot to Nazrael's touch, and as he starts moving them in earnest, he catches the attention of the fiend. "Stop that!" it roars. Caerys attacks again, but as with her earlier attack, it doesn't seem to amount to much. The only real harm to it was from Nazrael's missile. However, as he pulls at the vials, the fiend seems to become less substantial.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+4)[15], (1d6+1)[5] Caerys attack, damage
    (1d20+4)[11], (1d4+1)[3], Fiend attack vs Caerys
    (1d20+4)[7], (1d4+1)[3], Fiend attack vs Gregory
    (1d20+3)[5] Mytery roll
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2019-11-27 at 04:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209

ClericGuy

((OoC: Craft (Alchemy) - (1d20+9)[25]))

Nazrael will start throwing the vials away (separating all chemicals where possible unless he KNOWS for certain it will harm the fiend, but not himself or the others), trying to break the vials on the ground or against firm surfaces.

"Keep it's attention for a few moments longer!"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nazrael studies the chemicals as he plucks at them. Many were potentially volatile, too much so to be used in a confined space. However, he does recognize another factor. While they are scattered around the racks, only certain vials would be feeding the manifestation of the fiend. He deftly selects such ones and shatters them against the ground. With each one, the monster becomes less substantial. Furious, it attempts to move past Caerys to get to the wizard. It manages, the elf-s weapon skidding harmlessly against its bloated skin. It lashes out at Nazrael with a claw, which passes harmlessly through the wizard. It continues to fade, howling wordless fury as it disappears entirely.

Caerys, out of breath after a brief exchange, slumps against a desk. Gregory whimpers on the ground. The lamplight returns to normal. It is suddenly very quiet.