New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The First Adventure (1v1, PF)

"Are you both okay?" Nazrael asks, wincing at the pain of the injury he's already suffered.

"Can we get out and bring the town guard in? We need to inform them of this situation..."

He moves over to the flap to the tent and attempts to open it.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Y-yes" Gregory says. "Thank you, thank you so much! You saved my life there" he says, on his knees, grateful expression on his face. Caerys nods, sheathing her blade, despite her best efforts, she could not inflict any injury to the fiend.

The flap opens. There's a nervous crowd outside, a safe distance away. Nazrael can see the guardsman, Kestros, pushing through the crowd, his face red. He looks angry and concerned. As the flap opens, a malicious mist spills out and dissipates in sunlight.

"What happened?" the guard demands

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nazrael gains a level at his next rest.

3. - Top - End - #213

ClericGuy

Nazrael puts on the brightest smile he can.

"Ah Kestros! Good to see you! You did a good job, when you assigned me to investigate these magical goings-on. If it weren't for your quick thinking this could have been far worse! This unfortunate gentleman..." He indicates Gregory. "... was sold his imaging equipment for a fraction of the value, I believe in an attempt to cause trouble. The chemicals and reagents he had in close proximity caused a magical event to take place, summoning a minor creature, which was swiftly and easily dispatched."

Nazrael then gestures to Kestros.

"It was because of you being forward thinking enough to allow me to continue this investigation that the danger was prevented from getting out of hand, I'm glad I was able to be of service to you."

He says this all un-ironically, giving Kestros the ability to claim credit for solving the problem, if he wishes to take it.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kestros's scowl softens a little. He's not stupid, after all. "I knew you wouldn't fail me. I need to chat with our subject here. You can be around if you wish or you can enjoy the festivities in peace."

"The issue has been dealt with. Our streets are safe as ever!"

The crowd that has gathered to watch the commotion cheers, the mood lifting.

5. - Top - End - #215

ClericGuy

Nazrael smiles, bowing deferentially to Kestros.

"Lead on, and we can discuss what needs discussing my friend. I'm glad I could help."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Follow me then" he says. As they leave the crowd for the watchhouse, Kestros's voice takes a more solemn turn. "You did well. I'm not sorry I doubted you, but you have shown your true colors."

He interviews Gregory, and learns what Nazrael did. That the imagist obtained the chemical from a traveling merchant, that he has been using them for some time. He notes now, after the fact, that it was odd that he never seemed to run out of them, and never realized exactly they were.
    "What am I supposed to do... All those people hurt because of me..." Gregory says, burying his face in his hands.
    "I'll tell you what" Kestros says. "You man up and take responsibility for what happened because of you. Go to the hospice, help them take care of the victims."

At least the guard has the sense not to lay blame squarely on the imagist, accepting that he was an unwitting accomplice rather than a diabolical evildoer.

7. - Top - End - #217

ClericGuy

Nazrael smiles at the outcome.

"Don't worry, I understand completely. I'm just glad we could move past it!"

He nods to Kestros when he gives out the 'punishment'.

"You're a good man Kestros. Don't let anyone ever tell you different. Is there anything else I can help you with before I leave town?"

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I? Need your help? You did Elming a service already. Can't have us owing you any more now can we?" Kestros says.

The transcripts he wanted from the library concerning Beacon should be done right now. He might wish to check up on the victims as well, or leave them to the care of the locals and Gregory. There's food and drink, and given that news of what happened are likely making rounds, there's high likelihood that everything will be free of charge.

9. - Top - End - #219

ClericGuy

Nazrael smiles and nods.

"Fair enough, I will only be in town a couple more days, just to earn a bit more coin before heading off."

And, true to his word, he only stays two more nights, enjoying the Festival for the rest of this day, and most of the next, before leaving on the third day, he continues on his journey heading further towards the tower.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The festival gets rowdy and loud by the first evening, with drink and food and games in excess. Aside from festival games like horseshoe, tug-o-war, races and trials of strength and wit, there's music, dances and performances. You spend the evening enjoying it, the practices alike to what were present in Nazrael's hometown, only with much more of everything.

Next morning, the first chill winds of autumn wash over the land as the town wakes up.

[SPOILER=OOC]Sorry about the delay, I've had another game come crashing down and now restarted, which has distracted me.

Did you mean he wishes to go to the tower mentioned when he arrived to town, or something else?[SPOILER]

11. - Top - End - #221

ClericGuy

Nazrael enjoys his last evening in the small town, but once he wakes up and heads off towards the Beacon, or at least in the direction he has.

Before he leaves however, he seeks out Caerys.

"Are you still willing to journey with me towards the Beacon?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Of course, Nazrael" she says. "You have a map. In a way, at least. All I had before was a direction and a rough outline."

Caerys smiles. "And you're a good man too, to help people in need."

They set off from Elming, heading towards the edge of the forest across the cleared fields. Fair few wave Nazrael goodbye. Road calls the pair again.

13. - Top - End - #223

ClericGuy

Nazrael looks a little bashful.

"I just... I do what I can. That's all."

As they continue on their journey, Sol begins singing (Performance - (1d20+1)[7]) he is unskilled and sings not very well, but he sings songs of his home, and of missing people. Not quite a sad lament but not too far off either.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

His singing seems to hit Caerys pretty well. She doesn't know the tune or verse, but the theme of it speaks to her even if the Performance itself is not stellar..

"I think about my home often" she reflects. "Do you ever miss it?"

The road dives into a sparse forest. At a time of quiet, one can hear rustling of woodland critters. Corvus takes wing to survey the area.

Show
    You can roll Perception for Corvus.
    You should also roll Perception for Nazrael for a different matter.

(1d100)[33] mystery roll.

15. - Top - End - #225

ClericGuy

((Corvus perception - (1d20+6)[21] Nazrael perception - (1d20+2)[13]))

Nazrael shrugs.

"Yes... sometimes. They weren't exactly fans of mine because I have the ability to do magic... they didn't like it. I mean I wasn't hated or outcast or anything... just made to feel a little unwelcome. That's partly why I left. So I can learn magic well enough to be useful and go back and make all their lives easier..."

He sighs.

"Dreams eh?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yes, dreams" Caerys says with a wistful smile on her face. "I'm glad you've found a way to walk your path. One day, I'm sure they will come to appreciate what you can do."
    "Hey Nazrael!" Corvus calls out, landing on his shoulder, "There's a fire up ahead. Probably people making food."

The treetops obscure vision of the sky well, but Corvus has no such obstacles as he flies above the treetops.

Show
    Nazrael doesn't notice anything off.

17. - Top - End - #227

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods, and smiles sadly too.

"Yeah, maybe one day..."

He puts his shoulder up so Corvus lands on it.

"Oh excellent, did you see who was using the fire? What direction is it in?"

He then begins to move in the direction of the fire carefully. Not completely stealthily, but carefully enough he could attempt stealth if it was needed.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I can go check!" Corvus says, flying off.
    "He's awfully dependable." Caerys smiles. "Takes after you"

They head to the direction of the fire, and Corvus returns. "They're people." he says, thoughtful. "Human and a smaller one"
    "Oh, please let it not be a gnome" Caerys gasps
    "Are those beardy?" the raven asks
    "From what I'm told, no" Caerys says nervously.
    "Then he was a dwarf, not gnome"

Show
    Knowledge local (can be made untrained) for dwarves if you want.

Caught an error in continuity, fixed
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2020-03-17 at 06:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229

ClericGuy

((Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+4)[11]))

Casmir gives an awkward blushing smile, as if he's not sure how to take the compliment.

"Thanks..." he mumbles, continuing to move through towards the fire.

"Do you dislike gnomes for some reason?"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"They're tricksters" Caerys says. "You remember the one in Elming, proffering charms for the superstitious and gullible."

"They also have innate magic. Not studied like yours, or the one my people practice, but wild... primal."

Show
    Nazrael knows that gnomes are innately attuned towards illusion magic.
    They tend to be curious about people and the world, many becoming travelers.

21. - Top - End - #231

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods.

"Well I understand that, but I don't see that as a reason to be suspicious, besides I should be able to tell if they're using magic on us. I would hope..."

He smiles mischievously.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Caerys smiles. They head out to the campsite. It is a human and dwarf, both men, both looking like travelers. The human is blonde, a thin, long sword on his belt, a faded red cloak on his shoulders and chainmail peeking from beneath his shirt. He has a scar on his left cheek, looking like it came from a sword. The dwarf is a hulking brute with a big axe. Unlike most dwarves who generally wear fine and functional clothes and are generally groomed, as was the innkeeper in Elming, this one looks... savage. He doesn't wear a shirt, showing his tanned, scarred and tattooed skin. He's missing an eye as well. The dwarf glares at the arrivals. "Whadd'ya want?" he asks with a menacing tone. The man desperately looks between Nazrael, Caerys and the dwarf.

"Greetings travelers" he says, his accent unfamiliar. "What brings you here?"

23. - Top - End - #233

ClericGuy

Nazrael smiles warmly.

"We were just travelling on the road and spotted the fire, and wanted to come and see what was going on, to ensure something wasn't burning down. Yet here you are, so we thought we would come and say hello. I'm Nazrael this is my associate, Caerys."

He offers a hand to the human (and if he shakes it, the dwarf, whether the dwarf shakes it or not)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The man gets up and shakes his hand. "My name is Otto" he says with a smile, kissing the hand of Caerys. The elf is surprised by this greeting, but manages a "nice to meet you".

The dwarf looks at the offered hand and shakes his head. He stares angrily at Caerys, who takes a nervous step back.
    "You're welcome to share our fire" Otto says. "We're something of an... adventuring pair ourselves. We're on the trail of a dark wizard" he says.

Caerys sits as far away from the dwarf as possible, while the dwarf focuses his attention on Nazrael. "Ya're a wizard, aren'cha?"
    He manages to make the question sound threatening.

25. - Top - End - #235

ClericGuy

Nazrael frowns for a moment, takes a deep breath before responding, obviously trying to get an even and measured response.

"Yeah, I am. I hope it's not an issue... though I've been around plenty of people who think it is. I'd like to hear more about this dark wizard, what is it he's been doing for you to hunt him?"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The dwarf nods, "Nae problem. Dinnae cast ya'r spells on me." Nazrael can hear the unsaid 'or else' in his tone. The dwarf goes back to staring into the fire.

Otto tries to go back to topic. "From what we hear, he's a spirit binder. Making undead and calling dark creatures. We caught his trail after we found two victims. Seems he's traveling between villages here, threatening and robbing them."
    "That's awful" Caerys gasps.
    "That's why we're set to stop him." Otto says.

27. - Top - End - #237

ClericGuy

Nazrael chuckles, apparently amused that attitudes to magic apparently are relatively universal.

Nazrael listens to Otto.

"Sounds interesting... I don't suppose you'd want any help? Not that I don't think you're perfectly capable, but sometimes having a couple of extra pairs of hands can't hurt!"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Well, we could always use someone that can counter any fell magic. My friend here can tough it out, but as for me... I say you're welcome to come along"
    The dwarf grunts in vague agreement.

"Do you know where this dark wizard is going?" Caerys asks.
    "We think so. I heard there was a haunted ruin nearby. Seems like a place a dark wizard would make his stronghold, right?" Otto says, with a confident smile.

A simple reasoning, but probably right. Nazrael knows that magic can be amplified by a suitable environmental influence, and a place already haunted would be a nexus of foul energies. He also recalls the skeleton he had encountered before with Caerys.

29. - Top - End - #239

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods.

"Sounds like a good a place to start as any! Even if he's not there it may be possible he was there in the past as Caerys and I encountered some undead ourselves on the road."

He smiles, taking out some of his trail rations and taking a few bites.

"Could be they're related."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Seems possible" Otto muses, "Else there is an overabundance of dark wizards in these parts, which is not a comforting thought at all."

"So Otto... About you and the dwarf... How did you come to be on the road together?" Caerys asks.
    "He is a wanderer" Otto says, indicating the dwarf with his thumb. He is chewing on some jerky, taking cue from Nazrael. "He saved me from a dull academic life. And a cavalryman. At the same time"
    "Intriguing... Where are you from"
    "Ah, that... I'm from the great twin city of Heldenhame... Near the distortion." he explains