New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Comprehensive DPR Calculator (v2.0!)

Would it be possible to implement something to make it possible to do calculations on attack types as the one seen on the two bird sling as seen in MOT? "When you make a ranged attack with this sling and hit a target, you can cause the ammunition to ricochet toward a second target within 10 feet of the first, and then make a ranged attack against the second target."

Basically it's an attack contingent on a previous attack, but it also needs to do a seperate roll to see if it hits as well, so it can't be lumped in with a "sneak attack" style calculation.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Those are just extra damage dice, enter 'em like any other damage dice.
    Thank you both for your work with this calculator, but the problem I'm seeing with something Like Hex or Booming Blade, is they are flat 1d6 or xd8's with no bonus damage respectively, but with the calculator, if I wanted to add my 1d6 from Hex to each attack it would still add the +6 bonus damage to my 1d8+6 Weapon calculations, turning Hex from 1d6 to 1d6+6. Using Bonus Actions to apply the effect has a similar issue where you can't really get the full value out of your turn because there's no where for these on hit effects to be calculated on top of your usual bonus actions that may apply a bonus to damage.

The other issue I found may not actually be an issue and simply my misunderstanding of the calculations, but I noticed that your damage formulas for Crit Damage are taking the +X Flat Modifier into account and everything I've read up on Damage in DND is that the modifier is not multiplied. So where an actual crit with a 1d8+6 with Hex would be (2*(1d8+1d6))+6, the calculator is calculating it as "2*((1d8+6)+(1d6+6))"

Any clarifications on these observations would be greatly appreciated!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scipo0419 View Post
    Any clarifications on these observations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you both for your work with this calculator, but the problem I'm seeing with something Like Hex or Booming Blade, is they are flat 1d6 or xd8's with no bonus damage respectively, but with the calculator, if I wanted to add my 1d6 from Hex to each attack it would still add the +6 bonus damage to my 1d8+6 Weapon calculations, turning Hex from 1d6 to 1d6+6. Using Bonus Actions to apply the effect has a similar issue where you can't really get the full value out of your turn because there's no where for these on hit effects to be calculated on top of your usual bonus actions that may apply a bonus to damage.
    Hex and Booming Blade already work on the calculator. If you want to add Hex to your 1d8+6 weapon attack, you would simply enter it like so:

This will make each attack do 1d8+1d6+6 damage... which is exactly how much you would do with Hex.

For Booming Blade, you would enter the initial "on-hit" bonus damage the same way. If you want to represent the "on-movement" rider activating, you would add that as a flat damage bonus instead (so that it doesn't get multiplied by crits).

The other issue I found may not actually be an issue and simply my misunderstanding of the calculations, but I noticed that your damage formulas for Crit Damage are taking the +X Flat Modifier into account and everything I've read up on Damage in DND is that the modifier is not multiplied. So where an actual crit with a 1d8+6 with Hex would be (2*(1d8+1d6))+6, the calculator is calculating it as "2*((1d8+6)+(1d6+6))"
    This indeed appears to be a misunderstanding. Check the formula again: The calculator does not multiply flat damage on crits. It is already doing 2*(1d8+1d6))+6, not 2*((1d8+6)+(1d6+6)).
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2021-09-22 at 10:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by XZlayeD View Post
    Would it be possible to implement something to make it possible to do calculations on attack types as the one seen on the two bird sling as seen in MOT? "When you make a ranged attack with this sling and hit a target, you can cause the ammunition to ricochet toward a second target within 10 feet of the first, and then make a ranged attack against the second target."

Basically it's an attack contingent on a previous attack, but it also needs to do a seperate roll to see if it hits as well, so it can't be lumped in with a "sneak attack" style calculation.
    Yes, that's easy. Make a new... here, I'll show you on my copy (I grabbed Ludic's sheet a while back to fix some minor bugs in it, like Elemental Adept out to more decimal places than most people care about, which may well be fixed in the current version from Ludic; my copy also uses a different interpretation of Critical Hit ranges than JC's does, so my copy doesn't have crits auto-hit, they only double damage).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note: What I did here was make a new field for number of attacks you try to make, and then I calculate actual attacks based on accuracy, to make a second set of attacks. Since I was doing this quick and dirty, I didn't do a full set for all advantage states, so I slapped on a drop-down for picking your advantage state for the calculation. That means the cells for calculating how your DPR changes with advantage won't work and neither will the ones for showing -5/+10, as none of them know that those changes also change your total attacks made. I also didn't bother with Bonus Action attacks (i.e. I didn't add a way for Bonus Action attacks to ricochet). That said, the DPR cell for the advantage state you picked in the drop-down will be correct (No Advantage is the same as Normal).

I'm assuming the sling can only ricochet once. Infinite ricochets would be a different formula.

Note 2: You can copy what I did over to Ludic's version and it should work fine. Please grab it soon if you're going to, as I may revert the changes I made for you at any time.
    Last edited by quindraco; 2021-09-22 at 11:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by quindraco View Post
    (I grabbed Ludic's sheet a while back to fix some minor bugs in, like it assuming Champions auto-hit on a 19, but I didn't muck with the basic structure up top).
    That is actually intended, as Champions automatically hit on a 19.

As JC puts it: "If a feature says you scored a critical hit, you hit."
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

That is actually intended, as Champions automatically hit on a 19.

As JC puts it: "If a feature says you scored a critical hit, you hit."
    Yes, I edited my post to clarify that I apparently interpret things differently from how JC does.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Comprehensive DPR Calculator (v2.51!)

Hi,
    I tumbled over your guys work and I have a problem with copying the sheets. Every time I try to copy the first and the second sheet, I get the message #NAME! and the error Unknown function: (insert any function name here, like maxDamage, minDamage etc.). For some reason it worked with the third sheet, but I can`t seem to get it to work with the other two.
    I did let it load till the end and everything, so I don`t understand why the functions don`t get copied. Pls Help, would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice Day!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hello,

first I want to say, thank you for the great work with this sheet. it does amazing things.

now I have a question. Bladesinger can use booming blade/GFB on one attack when taking the attack action. I dont think the sheet can calculate that correctly, since the damage is not applied on the first hit, like sneak attack but is tied to a specific attack, regardless of where it hits or not. I can work aroudn this with using the bonus action attack, but if you do have a bonus action attack on top of this, it gets difficult. is there another way I'm not seeing? thanks for the help.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

on the HP if you have a periapt of wound closure, just double the number under HP recovered from HD, right?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Comprehensive DPR Calculator (v2.51!)

[B]The documentation can be found here:
    -Ludic

Edit: Now updated to version 2.51, with additional features! New features are described in replies to the thread. Feel free to suggest anything you'd like to see in the future!
    Please explain the following:

''A halfling has a racial feature, Lucky, which gives them the ability to reroll one d20 (veryspecifically one d20 - the rule is on PHB 173) if they roll a 1. Success with this feature amounts to either succeeding without it, or failing but also rolling a 1, and then succeeding on the additional roll. This feature interacts with advantage and disadvantage, so we get the following formulas, which you may think of as adding a small bonus to the normal probability:

Lnorm=P+(1/20)P

X:The result of a D20 dice
    In case of saving throws P(X>=x)=P(hit)=P for a given x E Z .
    Failing doesn't necessarily means bringing a 1 in cases such as saves.

ex X>=3 success -> X<3 faillure and x=1 -> x=1
    so Lnorm=P+(1/20)P=18/20+(1/20)18/20=0.9+0.05*0.9=0.945

ex2 X>=1 success ->X<1 faillure and x=1 -> null
    Lnorm should be P+0*P=P=1 which is the correct answer
    But if based on the formula it gives P+(1/20)P=1+0.05*1=1.05

Please explain. Your choice of words is confusing.
    Maybe you meant to say: Success with this feature amounts to either succeeding without it, or rolling a 1, and then succeeding on the additional roll??
    That would get P+(1/20)P=1+0.05*1=1.05 but is wrong because:

The formula Lnorm=P+(1/20)P works for X>=2 in case of saves (where 1 doesn't automatically mean faillure).
    I cannot post links since less than 10 posts but basically to roll a 6 all I need is either roll a 6 on first dice or roll a 1 and roll a 6 on re-roll.
    But to roll a 1 all I need is roll a 1 on first dice and 1 on re-roll:

So to roll a 1 : 1/20 * 1/20
    A 5: 1/20+1/20 * 1/20

P(X>=1)=19*1/20+20(1/20)^2=1 correct, while by using P+(1/20)P=1+0.05*1=1.05
    Last edited by Sirgoulas; 2022-01-29 at 05:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgoulas View Post
    Please explain the following:

(...)
    Hi! Apologies for the delay, I've been busy with grad school.

The halfling luck calculations as given in the documentation are correct for attacks. To see this, note that a 1 is ALWAYS a miss. So, rolling a hit and rolling a 1 are mutually exclusive. This means that we can add the cases "you roll a hit" (probability P) and "you roll a 1, then reroll and roll a hit" (probability 1/20 * P). In line with this, P *cannot* be 1.0: there will always be at least one d20 result that causes a miss. So you will never get that 1.05 result.

This does not work for saves, and my solution was a little clunky: I just case-split on whether 1 is a success. If it is, then EVERYTHING is a success, so just return 1.0. Otherwise, use the formula as given, and it works for the reasons given above.

I'll see if I can clarify the wording in the documentation.
    Last edited by AureusFulgens; 2022-01-31 at 10:13 PM.
    Spreading noble, cheerful insanity since [BIRTH DATE REDACTED]. Responds to Aureus, Mr. Fulgens, and Brightlord Radiant. Is all three of the Fey Spirits from Tasha's.

Things I've worked on:
    Comprehensive DPR Calculator v2.0 (with LudicSavant)

My expansive and highly professional homebrew portfolio currently contains:
    Art Cleric
    Lanayru Marsh Druid

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Is there a chance that the piercer feat will be added as one of the advanced options?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Spamalot in the Playground

Thanks so much for this calculator, it's been added to my sig. Excellent work, easy to use and very detailed.

I had a potentially dumb question - is there an easy way to use this to calculate DPR across an entire 1-20 build? My understanding is that the attack calculator looks at a specific level; My idea was to make 20 copies of the attack calculator tab (adjusting the inputs for each level of the build) and then plot the average DPR numbers for each of those levels - is there a better way? Basically I wanted to compare two level 20 builds side by side and see whether one is better than the other all the way through, whether one is better than the other in some tiers but worse in others, whether one is better with or without feats or magic items etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tmsduck View Post
    Is there a chance that the piercer feat will be added as one of the advanced options?
    As a workaround you can do the +1 die on a crit manually (row 30). The reroll 1 die per turn I'm not sure about but the difference is likely to be negligible anyway.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2022-02-04 at 05:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

I apologize if this question has been posed before, I perused several pages but did not see it...

What would be the best approach to account for Reaction based attacks? In particular, I'm finding it difficult to analyze how a rogue optimized to get sneak attack on a reaction might stack up against some other martials (because my DM is telling me my BM is OP in comparison).
    Last edited by the-real-orson; 2022-09-22 at 06:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by the-real-orson View Post
    I apologize if this question has been posed before, I perused several pages but did not see it...

What would be the best approach to account for Reaction based attacks? In particular, I'm finding it difficult to analyze how a rogue optimized to get sneak attack on a reaction might stack up against some other martials (because my DM is telling me my BM is OP in comparison).
    To determine how much damage you would do if you get the Reaction, just add it like any other attack.

As for how likely it is you will get said reaction, that's a judgment call you'd have to make yourself.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

To determine how much damage you would do if you get the Reaction, just add it like any other attack.

As for how likely it is you will get said reaction, that's a judgment call you'd have to make yourself.
    Thanks! This calculator is awesome!

Would be super helpful with certain builds to have a Reaction block that is similar to the BA block, but I can certainly make due.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

This is really great work!
    Very usefull for so many things.

It seams that when making multiple characters, or make a lot of changes, the google server kicks you out from using the scripts. (From earlier posts, i might not be the only one )
    Could this be avoided with a button or function for recalculating, so it does not update everytime you change a number, but when you ask it to after you made all your changes?
    Also could it help with the calculation time, if there was a checkmark for power attack (Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter) so it only calculated these if the character actually had them?

Again, great work, and this is only stuff i have run into, because im getting addicted to using your calculater!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Amazing tool, thanks so much for your work Ludic!

Does anyone have an idea how one could calculate the Gloomstalker 11 feature "Stalker's Flurry" which allows you to attack again if you miss?

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by freakybeak View Post
    Amazing tool, thanks so much for your work Ludic!

Does anyone have an idea how one could calculate the Gloomstalker 11 feature "Stalker's Flurry" which allows you to attack again if you miss?
    It's pretty close to having elven accuracy unless you already have EA then you have a little bit of math to do mostly because of critical hits.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

I know it is a little specific, but how easy would it be to add custom dice to the bonus to hit portion? for instance, the wild magic barbarian is a d3 (don't ask why).

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by talldrummerboy View Post
    I know it is a little specific, but how easy would it be to add custom dice to the bonus to hit portion? for instance, the wild magic barbarian is a d3 (don't ask why).
    I'm not LS obviously, but the average of 1d3 is +2 so you can just add that to your attack bonus and come pretty close.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Comprehensive DPR Calculator (v2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by AureusFulgens View Post
    Good day! I'm AureusFulgens, the other developer on this project. A lot of the more esoteric formulas on this sheet sprang out of the twisted eldritch depths of my mathematician brain, so I'm also on call to answer questions or complaints or corrections about the calculator!

(And if anything is wrong, then we seriously want to know. Every time a math error is published, Carl Friedrich Gauss rolls over in his grave, ad we don't want to do that to him.)

I'm on GitP a little less frequently than Ludic, so my responses might be a little more delayed than his, but I do promise to respond.

Hope this is of help to you!
    Cheers,
    Aureus

(Seriously, just call me Aureus. "Mr. Fulgens" just feels so formal, y'know?)
    I started using your calculator, started with a very simple setup of a 14 AC target with just 1 attack, 6 to hit, 2d6+6 damage with no other options and I was noticing the DPR was off. So I looked a bit deeper and it appears to be off where you're calculating crits. For something simple like this, a crit should just be double the damage of a normal hit. And the average crit damage should be double the normal hit damage. When I get down to B205 and B208 I see that the normal avg damage is 13 and the crit avg damage is 20. It should be 13 and 26 for this simple setup. Due to it calculating the crit avg damage too low, the follow on formula of DPR is also off. I'm not exactly sure how to fix the error because you're using some formulas I'm not familiar with, I just know that it's off.

Good luck, and great work otherwise.

23. - Top - End - #173

Default Re: Comprehensive DPR Calculator (v2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Haggoroth View Post
    I started using your calculator, started with a very simple setup of a 14 AC target with just 1 attack, 6 to hit, 2d6+6 damage with no other options and I was noticing the DPR was off. So I looked a bit deeper and it appears to be off where you're calculating crits. For something simple like this, a crit should just be double the damage of a normal hit. And the average crit damage should be double the normal hit damage. When I get down to B205 and B208 I see that the normal avg damage is 13 and the crit avg damage is 20. It should be 13 and 26 for this simple setup. Due to it calculating the crit avg damage too low, the follow on formula of DPR is also off. I'm not exactly sure how to fix the error because you're using some formulas I'm not familiar with, I just know that it's off.

Good luck, and great work otherwise.
    That's not an error; 13 and 20 is correct. Keep in mind that crits in 5th edition only double the dice, not the bonuses, so if you're rolling 2d6+6 (13 average), a crit would increase it to 4d6+6 (20 average).
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2023-04-28 at 12:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

While you're here Ludic - would it be possible to program a beta version that lets us calculate the expected damage increases from Graze, Cleave, and Vex?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    While you're here Ludic - would it be possible to program a beta version that lets us calculate the expected damage increases from Graze, Cleave, and Vex?
    Maybe -- I haven't kept up with the latest 1D&D updates, so I'd have to look at what those do (I've sort of been taking a 'just wait and see how 1D&D turns out in the end' approach).

26. - Top - End - #176

Maybe -- I haven't kept up with the latest 1D&D updates, so I'd have to look at what those do (I've sort of been taking a 'just wait and see how 1D&D turns out in the end' approach).
    That's perfectly fair. Just in case you want to look into it though:

Graze = each attack does some amount of damage even on a miss
    Vex = each hit means the next attack with that weapon turn has advantage
    Cleave = one hit per turn triggers another attack against an adjacent target
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

so something I noticed is that the GWF style option on the calculator applies to all dice rolled when it should only apply to the damage dice of the weapon, so the d12 of a greataxe or both the d6s of a greatsword, and nothing else. so making it only apply to the dice values on rows 11 and 35 would fix it, especially since stuff like the 2d6 fire from a flame tongue can be rerolled with GWF, but not anything like brutal critical, superiority dice, or smites, it may not make a huge difference, but it does muddy the figures, which isn't good when trying to get accurate results

aside from that this calculator has been great, amazing work.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi Ludic. I just found your work through d4: D&D Deep Dive on YouTube. I am currently working on a website that is supposed to do much of the same work. Would you mind if i borrow your documentation?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

I love this, thank you! All I have is a niche nitpick, can you add a working Lucky (feat) checkbox? I want to be able to calculate my DPR while burning luck points on top of elven accuracy. It's the only bit I can find that brings it short of perfection, though. Definitely the most comprehensive DPR calculator on the internet, thank you.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Question Re: Comprehensive DPR Calculator (v2.0!)

Is 2.51 still most recent version? (Also is savage attacker implemented?)