New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Baldur's Gate 2 - wild mage blues

Playing through BG2 and was doing the wild mage / Neera quests. Had somewhere over 120k in the bank at the beginning of the quest chain. At the end suddenly noticed I had 20k despite not buying anything.

After digging around online, turns out a wildsurge can impact your wallet. Well, that sucks, over 100k gone thanks to Neera and no plausible save to go back to.

No, Neera. You may not continue to accompany me.

I especially appreciated that the head of the wild mages said she had a reward for me and had to go get it,.....then never came back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 2 - wild mage blues

Reminds me of a mandatory Gwent game in Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone when I hadn't invested in Gwent. Only lost a quarter of my savings instead of 5/6, but it still sucked.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Rebuilt some fortunes, somewhere over $70k, wandered through Watcher's Keep (level 3).

As I wandered through the maze I noticed at one point something about Aerie having a wild surge. Didn't think much of it at the time, must have been some environmental effect, trap, something like that.

Got annoyed with the maze and left, went to an inn before moving to Chapter 3. At the inn I noticed,.....down to 15k.....

FFS wild magic.......
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Rebuilt some fortunes, somewhere over $70k, wandered through Watcher's Keep (level 3).

As I wandered through the maze I noticed at one point something about Aerie having a wild surge. Didn't think much of it at the time, must have been some environmental effect, trap, something like that.

Got annoyed with the maze and left, went to an inn before moving to Chapter 3. At the inn I noticed,.....down to 15k.....

FFS wild magic.......
    Aerie isn't even a wild mage. And you said you didn't take Neera with you. So... what?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Aerie isn't even a wild mage. And you said you didn't take Neera with you. So... what?
    No idea, no item did it that I have on me as far as I can tell. I assume it was a property of one of the rooms in the maze, but that's a new one on me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't the machine of the mad mage in the Watcher's Keep also remove gold? My research says no.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The watcher's keep maze contains both wild and no magic zones.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

And the No Magic zones are placed just where they need to be to screw you over when trying to buff for some of the toughest battles.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Man, this thread makes me want to play BG again. Where you do them all in one go with that mod.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I liked Big Picture, but Trilogy was also awesome.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I liked Big Picture, but Trilogy was also awesome.
    I have a small list of "must-play" mods at this point that make it to pretty much every single install, but my particular recommendations are at least a soft install of SCS (to improve AI scripting across the board) and Ascension (to fix Throne of Bhaal) on top of the usual bugfixes and a sprinkling of BG2Tweaks according to need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

For what its worth, you don't need Wild Magic to screw up everything that you've worked for - perfectly ordinary magic will do that for you, too.

I could recount half a dozen stories that each made me laugh out loud for if I hadn't then I would have burst out crying, but probably the most memorable one was that time I forgot to turn off my Human Sorcerer's AI as I approached What's-His-Name... the Dragon you fight before you fight the Blue Dragon/Bhaalspawn guy? Anyway, whoever he was, I didn't know he was there and when he popped out of the fog of war and ended his spiel, my Sorcerer immediately quick-cast a spell at him, because he was accidentally in "aggressive" stance.

He randomly picked Disintegrate. Which landed, in defiance of all sensible statistics.

Round 1, Turn 1, 31,000XP; thank you very much! Now just to pick up my loot, and....

...And....

....Oh, ****!

One quick reload and a couple of hours of redoing the fight later, turns out I didn't need those stupid bracers anyway.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-05-16 at 06:20 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation