New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Um... overpowered?

Ok, so we just started playing a campaign (using core & PH2) at level 1, and I'm pretty much convinced my character is overpowered.

Our group is currently 5 people:

Half-orc Barbarian (19 STR, 16 DEX, 10 CON, 9 INT, 12 WIS, 8 CHA)
    Elf Ranger (16 STR, 17 DEX, 12 CON, 12 INT, 14 WIS, 12 CHA)
    Elf Bard (17 STR, 19 DEX, 10 CON, 9 INT, 8 WIS, 15 CHA)
    Gnome Sorcerer (8 STR, 13 DEX, 16 CON, 11 INT, 6 WIS, 18 CHA)
    Halfling Beguiler (11 STR, 18 DEX, 13 CON, 16 INT, 12 WIS, 14 CHA)

I play the Beguiler (yes, I know those rolls are insane...), and I am playing the role of the rogue (trapfinding and such). The weirdest thing, however, is that I have an AC of 19 at first level! Is that a little high, or is it just me?

I also have a +10 on hide and a +8 on move silently (with armor penalty). I also have the ability to cast spells. Is it just me, or am I a teensy bit... broken?
    I'm participating!

Wait, I think I just failed a Spot check.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Um... overpowered?

o_O What's your calculation for your AC?

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Sir, your rolls are not that great, especially after your racial adjustments, and 19 AC is not the end all be ll for first level AC... I've seen lvl 1 AC as high as 28 before.

But the guy should do well! Good luck !

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    o_O What's your calculation for your AC?
    I'm guessing +4 chain shirt, +4 Dex, +1 size. Very good for a caster.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

At a glance I'd say, +4 dex, +4 Armor, +1 size.

Nice, but I wouldn't call it overpowering.

edit: Ninja'd
    Last edited by Mavian; 2007-09-28 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Ninja'd
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

And why are there no Dwarves in your group? >:|
    Last edited by Zinaida; 2007-09-28 at 11:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Mind you, this is the second time I've played D&D, and the first time I've actually played a character. (I DMed my first time playing...)

Well, true about not quite insane rolls, but rolling three sets of stats with only one number below 10 counts for something, right?

I just find it funny that the "rouge" is a better "tank" than the barbarian.
    19 AC = 10 base + 4 Dex + 4 Chain Shirt + 1 size. I know you could get higher, but I think that's pretty impressive.

Of course, with the weapons I actually had enough money to start off with, I can do a whopping 1d3 damage (small sling and dagger), but at least I make a good decoy.

Whoa... ninja'd... ish
    Last edited by Omega_Goo; 2007-09-29 at 12:01 AM.
    I'm participating!

Wait, I think I just failed a Spot check.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Tank means absorbing damage, not avoiding it and in D&D there's no real solid mechanic for it like there is in MMORPGs except for the Knight class. A DM has free reign to focus on who he wants or break out surprise rounds, as well as denying any spells or classes he sees unfit for his games.

At any rate.. roll enough dice at it, it'll die. Goblins may be goblins but if enough shoot arrows at you or poke spears at you one is bound to roll high enough, or even worse get a natural 20.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I really wish i played d&d more... too many numbers, i dont get it
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )Help him dominate the World...
    http://myspace.com/skanman
    Transcendentalist soldier...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_Goo View Post
    Ok, so we just started playing a campaign (using core & PH2) at level 1, and I'm pretty much convinced my character is overpowered.

Our group is currently 5 people:

Half-orc Barbarian (19 STR, 16 DEX, 10 CON, 9 INT, 12 WIS, 8 CHA)
    Elf Ranger (16 STR, 17 DEX, 12 CON, 12 INT, 14 WIS, 12 CHA)
    Elf Bard (17 STR, 19 DEX, 10 CON, 9 INT, 8 WIS, 15 CHA)
    Gnome Sorcerer (8 STR, 13 DEX, 16 CON, 11 INT, 6 WIS, 18 CHA)
    Halfling Beguiler (11 STR, 18 DEX, 13 CON, 16 INT, 12 WIS, 14 CHA)

I play the Beguiler (yes, I know those rolls are insane...), and I am playing the role of the rogue (trapfinding and such). The weirdest thing, however, is that I have an AC of 19 at first level! Is that a little high, or is it just me?

I also have a +10 on hide and a +8 on move silently (with armor penalty). I also have the ability to cast spells. Is it just me, or am I a teensy bit... broken?
    They look like good Avg Rolls, Thats a decent starting AC and good skill bonuses, Spellcasting is just the Icing on the cake

The Beguiler is a good class, go forth and have Fun
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I dont see any thing wrong with your character. afew stat points off my first character. I dont know what a beguiler actualy does but if the spells can make up for your down sized weapons all the better. Id say find ways to pump up that AC. invest in mobility feats and tumble ect ect.
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2007-09-29 at 12:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Well, I wouldn't say those stats are insane, but I will say they are rather high, considering that they were rolled and not with 32+ point buy. You're not overpowered, not in the least.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_Goo View Post
    A beguiler can out-rogue most rogues, yes, except for the sneak attacking part. It's a strong class, but it lacks a bit of versatility in its spells. At low levels, it's great. At high level, it's as overpowered as a wizard, pretty much.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I personally play a Beguiler (even though I'm at a higher level than you.. ECL 13 now) and I found out that I have an AC 10 points better than both my melee companions. Add that I now am planning to go in 5 levels of Shadowcraft Mage (40% miss chance), add Greater Mirror Image Cheese and some illusions (say, greater invisibility) and you'll have a good melee character... only flaw being my +8 claw (1d3-1) melee attack...

Anyway I like Beguilers. And I was thinking of a Beguiler gish build for one of my next characters (ToB's a must, I love it too much).
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

not really overpowered. beguilers are more defense and trickery than offense, so its no surprise you'd have a high ac and stealth.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

A fighter can get the same AC. Actually, a fighter could just add a heavy shield into the mix to take his AC up to 21. And maybe dodge feat to take it up to 22 (against 1 opponent per round).

It's not that your character is overpowered. It's just that the tank types tend to put higher stats into strength because they assume they'll be in full plate by 3rd level or so (which offers +8 AC but only supports +1 dex bonus).

17. - Top - End - #17

Play a Kobold. You can squeeze out another +1 for Natural Armor. Buy a mithril buckler (no armor check penalty, no spell failure, no need for proficiency) for another +1 to AC.

18. - Top - End - #18

Play Pun Pun, add Hulking Hurler abilities, H. I. V. E. abilties, nanobots abilities, and just ubercheese.

I've gained the feat I Win.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'd say top AC without focusing on it would be about 21. Full plate, large shield and maybe +1 dex. If you are trying to get high AC but aren't trying to max out the character (no racial or class related tricks, or Pun Pun etc) One could have an easy 24 on a small character, if you use tower instead of large shield.

it is interesting, that AC at low level can easily be near 20, making the armored characters near impossible to hit, with 1st level encounters having attack bonuses probably +3 or lower.

20. - Top - End - #20

A bard with 17 in strength and 9 in intelligence? Bwah?

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen View Post
    A bard with 17 in strength and 9 in intelligence? Bwah?
    And thats a problem?
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    And thats a problem?
    Don't know about you guys, but if I'm making a bard and not rolling organically those stats would not be in that order!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Play Pun Pun, add Hulking Hurler abilities, H. I. V. E. abilties, nanobots abilities, and just ubercheese.

I've gained the feat I Win.
    Objection. None of those are meant to be played. Specifically not Pun-Pun, but even the HIVE and nanobots are thought exercises. Technically, Hulking Hurler is a real class; it's just badly designed.

Anyway, you've optimized your character well, but he's not overpowered in any real sense.

And I've played a 17 Str Bard before (in the ToEE video game as an experiment, but still). It's reasonable if suboptimal, given the number of attack buffs bards can easily access. Then there's the Bard/Paladin I need to get around to recreating. Not sure what his Str was, but it was fairly up there.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-10-01 at 05:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeez, you think a beguiler is overpowered because they get armor? Check a sorcerer versus a beguiler in terms of raw spellcasting power, ignoring ALL other goodies a Beguiler gets. A beguiler casts spontaneously from a list that's 5 times longer than a sorcerer will ever get, and includes almost every good spell from the sorc/wizard list in the self-defending, utility, party buffing and save-or-lose based spells, including things you might not think of, like Haste and Freedom of Movement. They gain their new spells immediately upon achieving their new level, and cast spontaneously among any of them just as quick.

Compare a beguiler hitting level 4 and being able to cast their huge volume of 2nd level spells to many different purposes, blinding some, misdirecting others, breaking through whatever doors bar their way, or rendering entire groups of enemies useless, with the 4th level sorcerer who is able to do all of one. single. spell. and she'd better be happy with that. Same number of times per day, but the beguiler ALSO gets a billion other things, not the least of which includes actual class features. The Sorcerer gets only a familiar.

Not to say the beguiler is all roses and sunshine, they miss out on a good deal of the travel based spells, some of the good battlefield control, and most blasting abilities that a sorcerer could be getting...* a few gems like Dimension door, Overland Flight, contingency and so on get missed out by the Beguiler... but overall, Beguilers get everything Sorcerers will ever really need, and more.

* Worth noting however is that their whelm spells are actually fairly potent if you absolutely need damage as long as your opponent has a mind.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    Jeez, you think a beguiler is overpowered because they get armor? Check a sorcerer versus a beguiler in terms of raw spellcasting power, ignoring ALL other goodies a Beguiler gets. A beguiler casts spontaneously from a list that's 5 times longer than a sorcerer will ever get, and includes almost every good spell from the sorc/wizard list in the self-defending, utility, party buffing and save-or-lose based spells, including things you might not think of, like Haste and Freedom of Movement. They gain their new spells immediately upon achieving their new level, and cast spontaneously among any of them just as quick.

Compare a beguiler hitting level 4 and being able to cast their huge volume of 2nd level spells to many different purposes, blinding some, misdirecting others, breaking through whatever doors bar their way, or rendering entire groups of enemies useless, with the 4th level sorcerer who is able to do all of one. single. spell. and she'd better be happy with that. Same number of times per day, but the beguiler ALSO gets a billion other things, not the least of which includes actual class features. The Sorcerer gets only a familiar.

Not to say the beguiler is all roses and sunshine, they miss out on a good deal of the travel based spells, some of the good battlefield control, and most blasting abilities that a sorcerer could be getting...* a few gems like Dimension door, Overland Flight, contingency and so on get missed out by the Beguiler... but overall, Beguilers get everything Sorcerers will ever really need, and more.

* Worth noting however is that their whelm spells are actually fairly potent if you absolutely need damage as long as your opponent has a mind.
    Beguilers have a spell list limited to PHB an PHBII spells, though.

Sorcerers have the ability to select spells from more splatbooks than beguilers, which is pretty powerful depending on the spells selected.

26. - Top - End - #26

The Beguiler is to Enchantment as what the Warmage is to Evocation - there are some sacrifices that come with that position and spell varity is the main one
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet