New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Esra of the Wilds

The river flows over you, dancing coyly. Its current swirls around your body, coming to life as it passes over your skin, playfully gliding across intricate tattoos and scars from years ago, from your life before the cabin in the wilds, the field of forget-me-nots by the river through the mountains. It is a life you have no memory of, nor concept of what may have occurred. Magic swirls freely from your fingers, the unfiltered powers of the realm of dreams, the blue tendrils of the fae. The Spirit of the River flows out from these tendrils, appearing before you. She smiles her regular, serene smile, her smooth features rippling softly, as though pulled by their own currents. Her formless figure vanishes as you surface, refreshed by magic. You clamber onto the banks of the meandering river, and get your bearings.

You don your robes in the wide expanse of bright blue flowers amidst the green grasses, massive green hills like burial mounds surrounding on all sides, seeming to reach up the low-hanging stormclouds above, swirling and preparing for a dance of lightning and rain. You race towards your cabin in the middle of the clearing, reveling in the feel of the wet grass on your bare feet. The cabin is little more than a dilapidated shack, made of half-rotted oak, but it is more than enough for you. It keeps you and your books safe from the elements. However, standing by the door, as ominous as the clouds up above, there is a scarlet robe, hung on broad, powerful shoulders, a figure of at least 7 feet. As you slow your approach, it speaks, its voice harsh and powerful, scolding and demanding.

"Esra. You were not in your cabin." Before you can interject, it continues. "I do not know what you are trying, boy, but I do not take failures like this lightly. I am your keeper, not your mother." The figure turns, revealing her sharp features you recognize, her grey skin a dreary reflection of the sky above. She's staring into you with crystal blue eyes, cold and heartless, into your soul. She reaches for her belt, producing a metal dagger and throwing it to you. You catch it as she produces another dagger. "Now, Esra. Let us begin. Strike me, if you can."

A voice in your mind tells you you should check your Journal.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Esra of the Wilds

Esra looks down at the dagger, running his eyes down the length. His teacher is probably right to instruct him in such matters, but still... While the blade is practical and functional, it is so mundane compared to the weave running through this world. Perhaps a combination would be best.

Esra takes a readied stance, even as he reaches his senses into the ground beneath him. Magic moves sluggishly down there, but no less powerfully. With a moment of preparation, well....

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Esra readies an action to use mold Earth to dig a 5 ft deep hole under his instructor just before his next turn. He then intends to refill the hole on his next turn to bury her up to her shoulders.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The figure does not move when you assume your readied stance. Power flows through your body, through the earth, the two intertwined. You feel the soil part between your toes as something awakens in you. A beam of sunlight falls upon you as the storm clouds begin to part and the rush of the river quiets down. The word is silent as the ground opens up, partially devouring your mentor. Their constant look of displeasure is wiped away and replaced with sudden bewilderment, and possibly terror. They don't collect themselves by the time they are buried.

Without a word, they rise up from the soil. With a single hand, they grab the back of your neck and suspend you in the air, their voice seething with fury, scaling octaves, like a demon.

"WHERE DID YOU LEARN THIS POWER, BOY?"
    Last edited by Maloney; 2019-03-10 at 01:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Esra does not struggle, but tries to keep the instinctive fear from showing.

"Honored teacher, does the weave not flow through all things? Are it's secrets not available to those who look? When a rock falls, is it not natural to wonder how fast and the shape of it's path? If your teacher floats through the air, should I not wonder the mechanism behind the rise?

You have taught me as far back as I remember. If my parlor tricks are of any use, perhaps I could try to teach you?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The figure lifts a hand to her side, closing her eyes. The storm clouds come into their full force, thunder and rain filling the air. The roar of the river climaxes as the wind blows through the meadow, the forget-me-nots being ripped from their roots, blowing up into the air in a vortex around you. The figure lets go, and you remain in the air. "Esra, forgive me, child." Lighting strikes rapidly around you, and one powerful bolt catches the vortex of flowers. It arcs from flower to flower, eventually circling and filling the whole vortex with blue lightning, the flowers rapidly turning from blue to black and brown. The lightning begins arcing from the vortex into the figure, its robes burning away, revealing its battle-scarred and intricate black armor, its grey skin covered in scars and wrinkles. They open their eyes, now glowing blue, as she raises her hands from you.

The world goes completely silent as the rain ceases and their eyes glow brighter. All you can hear is your own heart beating, and as it grows more and more rapid, a thunk sounds from the figure's chest. You look down, and see a black-feathered bolt protruding from their chest. They fall to their knees as the vortex suddenly ceases, throwing wilted flowers across the field, rain commencing once more, pouring down in sheets as you fall to your feet.

You get your bearings. All around you are figures, limping towards you, only made visible through the rain by their faint green glow.

The figure raises their hands and a massive blast of force destroys most of them, but five still remain as the figure falls limp to the ground. You hear growling as they begin to charge towards you.

6. - Top - End - #6

Esra feels lost. One of the only two people he had ever known is gone, after revealing a power that seems as beyond him as he is beyond a simple beast of the forest.

He is surrounded by enemies of unknown strength, out numbered and alone. If he is to survive these next few moments, swift action is needed (as well as sacrifice).

Esra channels the gift from his sole remaining companion, subtly manipulating the weave to grant his limbs greater vigor.

"Sicut ventus. And fare well, my teacher."

Esra runs as fast as his legs, magic and will can carry him. He does not look back at the body (or precious books) that have been left behind.

Show

Esra casts Expeditious Retreat as a bonus action and then dash, dash, moves (90 ft/round). Unless something stops him, he is going to keep doing this for the next 10 minutes.

If possible, he will follow the river down stream for that time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

You dash towards the river, your feet sinking into the mud, wind whipping your robes around and rain falling down on you in sheets.

[Dex Save: pass]

You narrowly avoid the banks of the river falling apart from the sheer force of the rain, stronger than you've ever seen. The morning sun is completely eclipsed by darkness, almost shrouding you in night. As you run, the green creatures fade away into the darkness. You run this way for several minutes, until the cabin is no longer in view.

To the West and East of you, about a quarter mile away, are the cliffs of the mountains. To the North is your cabin, and to the South is a thick forest. The river extends both North and South.

8. - Top - End - #8

Esra keeps running, though he moves a bit further away from the river to leave less tracks. After an hour passes, he takes a minute to catch his breath and drink from the river.

Thirst quenched, Esra tries to reach out and call to his sole remaining friend. Perhaps she can grant some guidance on where to go from here and if it might be safe to float down.

Show

If the river spirit comes, Esra will ritual cast Comprehend Langauges and try to communicate.
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2019-03-11 at 10:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you kneel down to drink, the rain lessens and the clouds begin to part, allowing a beam of sunlight to illuminate the river before you. In the glimmering water before you is the Spirit. In her shimmering glow you can make out she is not smiling, as she often is. You put your hand in the water and attempt to communicate, channeling your own magic into the water. However, there is no response. Instead, you feel the slight warmth of her ethereal hand on yours, looking up at you, almost consoling.

10. - Top - End - #10

Esra looks into her eyes, exhaustion showing clearly on his face.

"I take it that you know of my teacher's death. I may be pursued by his killers and know little of these lands. Dearest spirit, would I be safe to float in your waters downstream? Need I worry about harsh rapids or hungry beasts? Do you know of any place where I could find sustenance and perhaps others of my kind?"

Show

If her answers are unclear, he will ritual cast Comprehend Languages.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

She has no response. Even after you cast your spell, she remains silent.

12. - Top - End - #12

Esra looks at the river spirit with a bitter-sweet expression. Then he smiles, moves forward and hugs her.

"Well, thank you for the companionship. I entrust my fate to you."

After a moment, Esra releases the spirit and starts floating on his back down the river.

Show

Esra will keep a eye out for signs of rapids or predators. If it seems likely that either are about, he will swim to the shore. After a few hours of floating, he intends to find a place to make camp, tie the dagger to a stick using vines or scraps from his shirt and try to catch some fish.

If the floating can count as a short rest, he will use arcane recovery.

13. - Top - End - #13

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

You phase through the ethereal being as you attempt to hug her, and she vanishes as you begin to float down the river.

[Athletics Check: Fail]

You float along, but it isn't long before the chill of the cold water starts to reach into your bones, causing you to cramp and seize. You struggle to keep on top of the river, but only make it to the Forest before you find yourself clambering to the shore, short of breath.

You scan the area, but find nothing but trees, whose thick canopy drips rain water onto the thick foliage around you. The clouds are just starting to part overhead, letting the light of the morning sun fall on you.

15. - Top - End - #15

Shivering, Esra stumbles as his cold limbs carry him out of the water. His body is not a strong one, so his understanding and cleverness will have to provide.

Once he's on dry land (even as he teeth chatter), Esra communes with the underlying weave of the world and convinces it that his body and clothes really shouldn't be wet. Water, dirt and grim slide off of him as if he had suddenly become impossible to keep hold of.

A bit of exploration and magic sees him sitting next to a fire pit, warming his hands.

"That's a bit better."

Esra's stomach grumbles at him. He is reminded that he has skipped breakfast and been on the run for hours.

"I suppose I've probably gone far enough to have lost them."

Esra's looks for a straight and long (hopefully non-poisonous) stick and some string like plants (split saplings might work) to tie his knife on with. He's going fishing!

Show

Prestidigitation to clean self/clothes.
    Mold Earth for fire pit.
    Create bonfire for fire.

He's going to catch fish until he's full, then topple a tree with mold Earth and burn it out with create bonfire to make a canoe. He'll then make a crude paddle and head down the river again (looking for civilization).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by charlesrwest View Post
    Shivering, Esra stumbles as his cold limbs carry him out of the water. His body is not a strong one, so his understanding and cleverness will have to provide.

Once he's on dry land (even as he teeth chatter), Esra communes with the underlying weave of the world and convinces it that his body and clothes really shouldn't be wet. Water, dirt and grim slide off of him as if he had suddenly become impossible to keep hold of.

A bit of exploration and magic sees him sitting next to a fire pit, warming his hands.

"That's a bit better."

Esra's stomach grumbles at him. He is reminded that he has skipped breakfast and been on the run for hours.

"I suppose I've probably gone far enough to have lost them."

Esra's looks for a straight and long (hopefully non-poisonous) stick and some string like plants (split saplings might work) to tie his knife on with. He's going fishing!

Show

Prestidigitation to clean self/clothes.
    Mold Earth for fire pit.
    Create bonfire for fire.

He's going to catch fish until he's full, then topple a tree with mold Earth and burn it out with create bonfire to make a canoe. He'll then make a crude paddle and head down the river again (looking for civilization).
    [Alright, so I want to make this more interesting than a straight Survival check, so how exactly are you going to fish? Any bait? Any special fish strats you're using?]

17. - Top - End - #17

Show

I was just going to do basic spear fishing. With a knife and a robe, that seemed about as advance as he could do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spearfishing

18. - Top - End - #18

Show

There is no telling what all lives in the river though...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

You improvise a spear and rope from a long stick and vines, but it isn't exactly sharp. Coming to the edge of the river, you begin fishing. After an hour or two of trying and failing to catch anything, the rope frays and comes apart and your spear drifts downstream.

20. - Top - End - #20

It's said that the little things can make or break a man. In this case, it was break. For a moment, Esra's calm and sunny composer breaks and he begins cursing like a person of nautical origin. He then takes a deep breath and formulates a new plan.

If asked, he would probably tell you that it was the concise title of "Acquire Sustenance Via the Application of Weave Generated High Temperatures to Non-Sapient Wildlife". In his head, however "Immolate Squirrels for Instant BBQ" may have been more accurate.

Whatever the case, Ersa dries himself off again and tromps into the forest to try to find something to eat.

Show

In case it wasn't clear, he is going to find small non-sapient mammals and cast "Create Bonfire" at them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

You move headlong into the forest, not noticing you're becoming incredibly lost in your pursuit for squirrels. By the time you realize this, the woods have become unrecognizable and the sound of the river is too faint to locate. You quickly notice a remarkable sight: what appears to be a large pack of incredibly fat squirrels. They tumble over each other in piles of discarded shells and snooze lazily in the noon sun. A stray squirrel comes out in front of you, staring up expectantly.

22. - Top - End - #22

Esra stares into little, innocent eyes. It's been a long and strange day. His teacher killed, chased by monsters, the spirit nonverbal, the water freezing, the spear lost and now himself as well. Yet...

"Can you understand me, little one? I'm very hungry. I don't want to hurt you, but I also don't want to starve. Is there anything to eat near here?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

The squirrel runs up to your ankles and quickly climbs up to your shoulder, using its sharp claws to look for nuts in your ears and mouth. The leaves above you shake, and you assume the wind is kicking up.

24. - Top - End - #24

In the silence, Esra takes a deep breath.

"You do not want to die. Neither does the fish I tried to catch, the plants I harvested before this mess. The tree that makes the seeds you eat certainly doesn't want you to eat its children, insofar as a plant can want. What intrinsically grants your life more value than theirs? Is it that my eyes find commonalities between your form and the form of my race, making you seem 'cute'?

Does it not seem capricious to choose what lives and dies based on appearance? I want to survive, you want to survive and our food wants to survive. Sadly, as long as plants, animals and people increase their numbers given opportunity there will always be conflict for scarce resources. Does not the tree shade the grasses?"

Esra gently sets the squirrel on the ground and steps away. He swallows and then snaps his fingers. The weave responds and flame springs into being.

Show

Esra casts Create Bonfire at the squirrel. If the rest of the pack tries to attack him, he's going to cast burning hands at them. If he misses, he will keep trying.

Was he able to short rest/use arcane recovery during the float?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

You set a flame going and the squirrel quickly perishes, squealing loudly and scurrying about. You get an odd sensation, as if an unseen and powerful force has taken note of your actions. The flame dies, leaving the squirrel raw but covered in burns. The branches above continue to shake in the breeze.

26. - Top - End - #26

Esra's narrows his eyes as the breeze springs into being. He grasps the weave to sharpen his perception of it's nature and looks at the disturbance, then his surroundings. If there is something magical or divine watching him, he is going to figure out what.

Show

Esra's uses his arcanist feat to cast detect magic. His arcana is also +7.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

When you cast this spell, it's always made sort of a fuzzy glow around enchanted items, but you've never stepped outside the group of arcane powers you've uncovered with the help of the River Spirit. You glance around, finding nothing more aglow in your surroundings, but a faint aura of an unknown energy surrounds you, forming a small barrier of red and black sparks about a centimeter tall.

28. - Top - End - #28

Esra squints and tries to make out details in the enchantment which has been cast upon him. Could it be a tracking spell? A charm affecting his mind even now? A curse laid upon him by some vengeful protect of the forest or god of squirrels?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

You have no idea. You have never seen anything like this.

[Journal Updated: The Glow]
    Last edited by Maloney; 2019-03-30 at 09:41 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

The unknown magic surrounding Esra sets him ill at ease. He moves away from the site of the disturbance and finishes skinning and cooking the squirrel. Esra contemplates his situation as he munches the morsels.

"I'm hunted with unknown magic upon me. One of my allies is dead and I am not sure the other is sapient in the traditional sense. I need civilization if I am to turn the tables here. Books and equipment for analysis." He looks around. "Other people to make sure I am not eaten in my sleep. And to find people I need to find the river."

Esra tries to climb a tree and see if he can find any sort of landmarks which he can use to know his direction of travel (such as mountains).

Show

If Esra makes charcoal and gathers herbs, can he cast find familiar?