New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Looking for a creature halfway between a siren and a hag

Basically, the idea is that long, long ago, the civilization was struggling to survive: the would was far too dangerous for them to live rurally, but the only land safe enough for civilization also had quite terrible soil. So they either made a deal with a creature, or bound some nature spirit. In either case, every five years, on the winter solstice, the creature kills a man. Usually a fisherman. It takes that man's lifeforce, and rejuvinates the land, allowing the city to feed.
    However, since the deal was made, the fact that it was done has been forgotten, and so the players are tasked with finding out why every five years, a man goes missing, and if found is largely skeletized.

The problem is finding a monster that a group of 8 players, all level 4, can reasonably face off against.

I considered both a beefed up Succubus with Legendary Actions and a Legendary Sea hag (coven version). The sea hag doesn't feel right because the creature is supposed to be siren like.
    I'm kinda at a loss for what to use here.

Thoughts?
    When I ask how to get a nail out of piece of wood, please don't tell me why screws are better fastners.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a creature halfway between a siren and a hag

At 8 players I'm not sure you should have a single creature as the main fight. Even with Legendary Actions the action economy is very favourable for the players.

Kelpie are Siren like creatures that might fit the story purpose a bit better since they are plants. So perhaps one giant Kelpie and then minions, either smaller Kelpie or other sea creatures that worship/take care of it would work.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Makes me think of a harpy of some kind.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
    Kelpie are Siren like creatures that might fit the story purpose a bit better since they are plants. So perhaps one giant Kelpie and then minions, either smaller Kelpie or other sea creatures that worship/take care of it would work.
    Funny enough, I actually took "Kelpie" as the creature's name. Didn't know they were a plant creature, but that kinda works.

I think I'm gonna run with a significantly damage nerfed Mummy Lord reskinned for underwater.
    When I ask how to get a nail out of piece of wood, please don't tell me why screws are better fastners.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hi there!

Reading the description for this enemy, it reminds me of the Siren Boss in Darkest Dungeon 1. Basically what you want to achieve in the encounter is for her to mindcontrol someone in your party that should cause the least damage to the rest of your characters. You can check the wiki for this specific boss to get some inspiration!!

Hope it helps!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

A coven of Green Hags might be a good option.

1 v 8 fights can be a mess. If you do go that route, legendary actions will be a good idea. The hardest bit to balance is any 1 creature capable of challenging 8 level 4 PCs at all will very likely be powerful enough to kill an individual PC without even trying.