New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Is he? I don't remember that.
    I went back to check when I read the post, it's in a strip from March 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the commentary on the most recent comic, I've never understood why apple pie is considered to be the most American food. I think Axis Powers Hetalia got it right by connecting America with hamburgers. If I showed up to a 4th of July cookout and there was no apple pie, I wouldn't be surprised. If I showed up to a 4th of July cookout and there were no hamburgers, I'd break out a Ouija board and summon the ghost of Joe McCarthy.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

I always find odd the need that some Americans seem to have to justify good behaviour by linking it with national pride as if it wasn't self-justifying. Or as if they somehow had a monopoly on it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Regarding the commentary on the most recent comic, I've never understood why apple pie is considered to be the most American food. I think Axis Powers Hetalia got it right by connecting America with hamburgers. If I showed up to a 4th of July cookout and there was no apple pie, I wouldn't be surprised. If I showed up to a 4th of July cookout and there were no hamburgers, I'd break out a Ouija board and summon the ghost of Joe McCarthy.
    I think its an older times thing. like sure today hamburger is probably the american food, but *check google* the phrase "as american as apple pie" has existed since like 1800's, because one of the first cookbooks published after the US got its independence had apple pie in it and was made on fourth of july to celebrate that independence, but wasn't widely known until WWII soldiers used to describe why they went off to fight it: "for mom and apple pie". and the reason the colonists in the first place made it was to distance themselves from british cooking.

so basically its the dessert that built early america.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I think its an older times thing. like sure today hamburger is probably the american food, but *check google* the phrase "as american as apple pie" has existed since like 1800's, because one of the first cookbooks published after the US got its independence had apple pie in it and was made on fourth of july to celebrate that independence, but wasn't widely known until WWII soldiers used to describe why they went off to fight it: "for mom and apple pie". and the reason the colonists in the first place made it was to distance themselves from british cooking.

so basically its the dessert that built early america.
    Plus, hamburgers are technically German. Hence the attempt to rebrand them as "Liberty Sandwiches" during one of the world wars, which I still find hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd have called them "Uncle Sam-burgers." Who wouldn't want to roll up to a drive-thru and order "a double Uncle Sam-burger, with American cheese, some freedom fries, and a star-spangled shake."

Imagine if we went to war with Italy (again). I don't know, let's say someone programs an AI to oversee the scheduling of the nation's trains. Obviously. the AI was based on Mussolini, who the internet assures me made trains run on time. And then it gains sentience and runs for the Italian presidency. But the how and why aren't important. What I want to know is, what would Starbucks rename their coffee sizes to?

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Plus, hamburgers are technically German. Hence the attempt to rebrand them as "Liberty Sandwiches" during one of the world wars, which I still find hilarious.
    technically the apple pie recipe came from dutch and german colonists so......*shrug* makes little difference in that regard, still stealing from germany either way.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-11-17 at 11:23 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Colossus in the Playground

Not quite. The "hamburger" is an evolution of the "hamburger sandwich", which is an American-made sandwich consisting of hamburg steak on toast with mustard. Hamberg steak comes from Germany... But they stole it from the Russians, who served it raw and called it Steak Tartar.

Steak Tartar was inspired by the Mongols, who the Russians called the Tartars, who would keep cuts of raw beef wrapped up under their saddles so a whole day of long hard riding would tenderize the meat while the body heat of the horse and the pressure on it wold essentially slow-cook it. The Russians didn't know about that part, they just saw the Mongols eating seemingly raw steaks.

So... Hamburgers are technically heavily modified Mongolian food.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1449

Arthur Arthur being very open-minded isn't that much of a surprise, given who he works with (and the history of the FBI).

What I wonder is why he is seen so negatively by others. His plan backfired gloriously, but instead of sending someone else, he put himself in the way of ridicule by wearing a wizard hat on TV. I don't remember anything particularly bad from him.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #1450

He unilaterally decided to take away everyone's magic, and early on he stated that the occasional casualty wouldn't compromise their long-term plans.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Arthur Arthur being very open-minded isn't that much of a surprise, given who he works with (and the history of the FBI).
    Do you mean the in-universe history?
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #1452

Do you mean the in-universe history?
    No, I mean something that is hinted at in one of the Naked Gun movies.

Spoiler
    Show

J. Edgar Hoover was rumored to cross-dress. He also directed the FBI and its predecessor from 1924 to his death in 1977.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

technically the apple pie recipe came from dutch and german colonists so......*shrug* makes little difference in that regard, still stealing from germany either way.
    Huh, always assumed they'd just nicked the British version. Then again, pies are from all over Europe.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Looks like Elliot & Susan's show might be about to get pushed into mainstream popularity.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like Elliot & Susan's show might be about to get pushed into mainstream popularity.
    Considering the time it's taking to get through a week, I recommend you don't hold your breath on that one.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Pixie in the Playground

Today's NP looks...

like it's time for rampant speculation!
    get dunked on lol

Epic avatar by linkele

Currently DMing: Curse of (super sexy) Strahd

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you are reading this, then you have some serious dedication.

17. - Top - End - #1457

So I'm not 100% sure, but I think the silhouette bears a passing resemblance to Noriko? Which...

I mean, we know very little about her personality all things considered.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So I'm not 100% sure, but I think the silhouette bears a passing resemblance to Noriko? Which...

I mean, we know very little about her personality all things considered.
    I don't think the silhouette is Noriko. The commentary implies that Dan hasn't actually designed the silhouetted character, but Noriko has actually appeared in the comic.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Bugbear in the Playground

Some of the recent strips have hit really close to home for me. I’m an AMAB genderfluid person who has transitioned to female too, and my dad has also been involved with a lot of government work, to set the scene.

Here’s where it hurts, though. My dad has nearly the exact same attitude toward me regarding my gender as Tedd’s as well. He really doesn’t like to think about the fact that I’ve transitioned and he’s constantly uncomfortable and irritable around me, even though he tries to hide it and pretends he doesn’t have a problem with me. There was one point on our last FaceTime call where he even put his hand up in such a way that he was blocking out my face. I don’t want this standoff to last forever, but there’s nothing I can really do. In a way, I suppose it’s a good thing I didn’t realize I was trans until I had permanently moved to the opposite side of the country from my parents. I couldn’t imagine having to live with him every day post-transition.
    Last edited by Dire Moose; 2021-11-23 at 10:37 PM.
    LGBTitp

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think you can slam a desk in such a way that the air movement makes somebody's hair move like that. I think Tedd's hair just recognized the intensity of the situation and reacted in an appropriately dramatic fashion all on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    Some of the recent strips have hit really close to home for me. I’m an AMAB genderfluid person who has transitioned to female too, and my dad has also been involved with a lot of government work, to set the scene.

Here’s where it hurts, though. My dad has nearly the exact same attitude toward me regarding my gender as Tedd’s as well. He really doesn’t like to think about the fact that I’ve transitioned and he’s constantly uncomfortable and irritable around me, even though he tries to hide it and pretends he doesn’t have a problem with me. There was one point on our last FaceTime call where he even put his hand up in such a way that he was blocking out my face. I don’t want this standoff to last forever, but there’s nothing I can really do. In a way, I suppose it’s a good thing I didn’t realize I was trans until I had permanently moved to the opposite side of the country from my parents. I couldn’t imagine having to live with him every day post-transition.
    Damn. I hope your father comes around to accepting you as you really are, Dire Moose.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Coming from the latest EGS:NP: I'm very much looking forward to several strips of Grace channeling her inner HK-47

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

Condescending musing : Tell me you haven't played any of the KOTOR games without telling me you haven't played any of the KOTOR games.

Also, when did Grace and Diane start hanging out?
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #1463

Condescending musing : Tell me you haven't played any of the KOTOR games without telling me you haven't played any of the KOTOR games.

Also, when did Grace and Diane start hanging out?
    Presumably at some point after the party?

I mean, think about it: Grace is friends with Rhoda, and Diane just became part of the same group of friends as literally every other one of Grace's friends.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1464

The KOTOR games were great. The second has much better writing and more interesting characters overall, while the first is more... let's say "Star Warsy", but they both had their moments and they're both fun to replay.

Now, Mass Effect, that is a series I've never played. All I know is that you romance aliens and eventually the series end with you choosing the color of the fireworks, which people found rather underwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Now, Mass Effect, that is a series I've never played. All I know is that you romance aliens and eventually the series end with you choosing the color of the fireworks, which people found rather underwhelming.
    I mean, only in the second game onwards. In the first game there's only one alien up for the long term (who is, I believe, the most canon romance).

ME4, if it tries to be a direct continuation of the Shepherd arc, might open it up to the species that haven't been available yet. I'm looking forward to the Elcor romance.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

26. - Top - End - #1466

"Being swole is good for brain smartness."
    This sounds like something Ah-nold would say.

27. - Top - End - #1467

BardGuy

It's true, but it certainly could be phrased a bit more convincingly :-p

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Troll in the Playground

I find it hilarious that Elliot's only objection to the proposed club name is the fact that it's not fair to Justin. I mean, it makes sense given recent character development, but the reaction still got a big ol' grin from me XD
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-12-03 at 11:18 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ah, the Superpowered Evil Side. A classic narrative balancing tool.
    Optimization Trophies

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So if there is a magical reason for why a face-heel turn makes one stronger does that come with a magical reason why a heel-face turn would make one weaker?