New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Or perhaps there was a tradeoff. Maybe "more autonomy for higher magic use" or something was the previous setting, and now she has to allocate.
    That is a really good point, actually, and would work very well. Hm. We'll have to see where Dan takes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    My guess is that Fox was more limited in the past because she (EDIT: Nanase) couldn't transfer as much of her (Edit: Nanase's) own mind power to her (Edit: Fox). When it switched to manual, without the automatic cap, she accidentally transferred more than was needed and didn't have much left. Doesn't mean that her spell is weaker now, just that because the gears used to change automatically she didn't realise she needed to change gears, didn't, and stalled.
    I'm not sure this one works though - it seemed that both Fix and Nanase were struggling to think at all, so I don't think it was the case that Nanase was simply putting too much "mind power" in. Unless I'm misunderstanding your gear-changing analogy?

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Grace is a true gamer.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Or perhaps there was a tradeoff. Maybe "more autonomy for higher magic use" or something was the previous setting, and now she has to allocate.
    Susan mentioned limitations and side effects with the option of spending more power to prevent them. I'm nearly certain that's what happened with Fox - the base spell just makes a duplicate of Nanase that her original brain has to control (while still also controlling her original body), and there's an optional extra feature to make a partial duplicate of her mind to control the duplicate for her.

I think magic's helping hand used to use that extra feature automatically because it's smart enough to know that she'd want it, but now she has to specifically intend to use it, and it wasn't part of her intention because she didn't know it's an extra rather than built in.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I bet that there are specific spells that work like Grace is describing, siphoning attributes from others to help fuel the spell, but that would be a feature specific to that spell rather than a universal one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I bet that there are specific spells that work like Grace is describing, siphoning attributes from others to help fuel the spell, but that would be a feature specific to that spell rather than a universal one.
    The real question is would a siphoning spell be "cheaper" to cast than a self buffing spell?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, aberrations are noted to take the life force of others to extend their own lifespans. So if it were just as easy to extend their lives without taking anything from anyone...

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Troll in the Playground

I am guessing the hidden tradeoff for the "stronger" hero form might be to trade "Morality". Aka, if Elliot becomes more ruthless, cruel and less empathic while the form is active and he gets more points to spend. His secret identify forms already can mess with his personality a bit and previously waaaay back in one of the first Q&A segments it was mentioned Elliot was planned to have a "Super Berserk" mode power up spell. This could be referencing that.

Plus it would tie in with the ironic or appropriate drawbacks and explain why the emissary dislikes it as an option. If it was just something like burning Elliot's maximum lifespan or something else super risky I think it might be something he would mention as a last ditch resort option.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2021-05-21 at 04:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Plus we know that becoming an aberration takes away one's empathy so it's definitely within the realm of possibility.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Alternatively, the BAD TRADE could involve permanent damage to the caster. Sure, you can become a superhero for a day, but it will cost you the sight in one eye, or your memory of your grandmother, or one year of your life. Elliot would be tempted.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Barbarian in the Playground

Another bad trade? Addiction to magic from overchanneling, turning one into a power junkie, and risking frequent burnout or weird side effects. Like taking double the recommended dosage, and being distracted by the bats flying out of your ears.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    I am guessing the hidden tradeoff for the "stronger" hero form might be to trade "Morality". Aka, if Elliot becomes more ruthless, cruel and less empathic while the form is active and he gets more points to spend. His secret identify forms already can mess with his personality a bit and previously waaaay back in one of the first Q&A segments it was mentioned Elliot was planned to have a "Super Berserk" mode power up spell. This could be referencing that.
    That's my guess as well.
    And, just like one trade-off is lowering Strength (or, rather, size, but it has an impact on strength), this could be lowering Charisma (really lowering something internal to Elliot, but it could be as loosely based on Charisma as the decrease to size is linked to Strength.)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Alternatively, the BAD TRADE could involve permanent damage to the caster. Sure, you can become a superhero for a day, but it will cost you the sight in one eye, or your memory of your grandmother, or one year of your life. Elliot would be tempted.
    While that's a legitimate tradeoff and would make sense in a lot of magic systems, I don't see it working narratively in El Goonish Shive. The author tends to shy away from permanent physical damage (or at least deaths), and I think such would be close enough. For the import given this, I think it needs to be something that could realistically happen to be narratively meaningful, and such doesn't make sense from the overall meta-narrative (themes? tone?) of the story.
    In other words, if that was the tradeoff, I don't think such a big deal would be being made about it. Well, that or Dan is doing some poor authorship, but I reckon this is probably good if obvious foreshadowing about a tradeoff risk coming.

For that reason, too, I doubt Elliot would become an abberration or anything permanently. But he might do something he'd really regret while under the trade-off.
    And he knows it's really his choice, too, since (I think, right?) he learned he can control "peppy party mode" if he really tries, or swear in his secret identity form--so it'd be a big guilt trip and drama that seems appropriate to the levels of this comic.

...actually, with how everything is building and the plot threads... I reckon that something will go wrong while meeting with the griffins, and Elliot somehow discovers the possible tradeoff and decides to utilize it to bad events (he does something he regrets later), or chooses not to utilize it and other bad things happen (due to his weakness.)

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Firbolg in the Playground

Opinion on the bad trade
    Spoiler
    Show
    it's becoming an aberration. You give up on empathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post

Plus it would tie in with the ironic or appropriate drawbacks and explain why the emissary dislikes it as an option. If it was just something like burning Elliot's maximum lifespan or something else super risky I think it might be something he would mention as a last ditch resort option.
    Given the fact that Elliot was originally supposed to have an "inner demon" mechanic, as well as his near-psychotic bully hunter phase, the idea of a super-powered evil side makes way too much sense, especially given magic's tendency to tailor things to its understanding of the caster...
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The real question is would a siphoning spell be "cheaper" to cast than a self buffing spell?
    No, but I bet it would be 'cheaper' than casting a self-buff and an enemy-debuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

15. - Top - End - #1035

Don't 3.5 DnD epic spells also have an option like this? Sacrifice your life, and the spell gets a lot easier to cast?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

I like how Diane-a-chu's scarf is patterned to resemble a picachu's tail.

Is there a common way of fastening a scarf that leaves only one end dangling? Would the pica-tail scarf have been improved by giving it a zig-zag shape? Have you ever seen any other animal-tail scarves? No, those ones that have an animal tail on one end and an animal head on the other don't count. In order to count, it needs tails on both ends. Or to somehow be a one-ended scarf.

Hmm, maybe a nine-ended scarf with fox tails for all the ends.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Colossus in the Playground

If there was ever a time for an 'Oh Snap' graphic, it would be now, so...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Well... That's a twist.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

Dun dun DUUUN!!

First time its ever been a twist, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-05-24 at 05:10 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #1040

So ...
    [1] The Griffins's half of the world?
    [2] Alternate timeline?
    [3] I got nothing.

===
    It occurs to me that this makes it at least semi-likely that the unseen person with Elliot and Edward is Grace. She had occured to me as a possibility simply because of her squirrel form, but I couldn't see any reason for Edward to approve her presence. Now, well, he may wish to ask Tara and Andrea about Uryuoms.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2021-05-24 at 05:51 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

[9th Doctor]Well, of course uryuoms aren't from outer space! Nobody's from outer space; they're from a planet, just like you and me.[/9th Doctor]
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    [9th Doctor]Well, of course uryuoms aren't from outer space! Nobody's from outer space; they're from a planet, just like you and me.[/9th Doctor]
    I mean, until someone comes up with a sci-fi alien that literally evolved in the vacuum of space, sure. it'd be a pretty weird life form, admittedly though, and not the most plausible of life to ever exist.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #1043

BardGuy

Since he specified OUTER space, clearly they're actually from inner space and the earth'll turn out to be hollow a few hundred comics from now.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-05-24 at 07:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1044

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I mean, until someone comes up with a sci-fi alien that literally evolved in the vacuum of space, sure. it'd be a pretty weird life form, admittedly though, and not the most plausible of life to ever exist.
    I mean, tardigrades have been proven to be able to survive, mate, and reproduce in vacuum conditions.

If a similar organism got launched into space and found some way to sire in the vacuum long term, eventually it would adapt to it and evolve for a vacuum environment.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I mean, tardigrades have been proven to be able to survive, mate, and reproduce in vacuum conditions.

If a similar organism got launched into space and found some way to sire in the vacuum long term, eventually it would adapt to it and evolve for a vacuum environment.
    I've read a book - I won't say which, for spoiler reasons - where a significant plot point was humans bio-engineering a subset of humankind to make them essentially deep-space native (as in, floating around in space without a suit, adapted for surviving and reproducing there.)

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Do we know if "Magic" (the Force/Entity/whatever that is communicating with the seers and via its Emissary) is a force just of the magic of earth, or of magic universe-wide?

From when we get the flashback to the God of Magic talking to the uronyms, it sounds like the concern is the magical ecosystem of earth itself, but I don't know if that means Magic's perspective of reality is based just on earth.

Back when the seers were talking with Magic, it said a certain outcome would lead to storms of chaos magic pervading the earth. Potentially with the outcome of killing all humans (bad since nobody would use magic anymore). That made me think that Magic might be an earth-based or -focused entity, even if "earth" includes multiple universes (the other Tedds' places) or whatever the griffin-realm is.

---

Edit: do we know if magic is a thing outside of earth? Uro-tech seems to emulate magic, or be imitated by magic (hence Ellen), but not be identical in a metaphysical sense. Or perhaps they are the same sort of thing metaphysically (in some senses at least), but there was a "hard-coded" denial of access to Uro-blooded until the restrictions got loosed (hence Grace's 'magic' changing.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-05-24 at 11:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1047

Magic was restricted for Uruyuom-descendant persons due to the assault on the Library of Magic. (https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2018-05-04)
    That is hardly 'hard-coded', since it clearly was lifted.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2021-05-24 at 11:52 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1048

You know, that seems to imply that Uryuoms only have magic... Either on Earth, or in this universe.(half of the universe?)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1049

I took that to be the Uryuom leader saying "Since we have magic here on this world, we ought to have access, just like the humans." Recall that mortals can visit the library (https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2017-04-03).

30. - Top - End - #1050

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

Surviving in space is fine and dandy, however the real problem is living in space. As in, for example, finding the energy and matter one needs in order to keep one's metabolism active and grow. There's not much in the way of nutrients in space. It's a vacuum. Not a perfect vacuum, but it's not like you're going to get your fill with one microscopic mote of dust per cubic kilometer or whatever. And there's the problem of moving around. You can't swim in space. And even if you could, it'd be a really, really, really, really long way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!