New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    On an unrelated note, cheesecake is a pie, not a cake.
    Indeed. It is, in fact, a custard pie.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Indeed. It is, in fact, a custard pie.
    Unless it is not. There are many varieties of cheesecake and at least where I come from none are made from custard to begin with as the key ingredient is quark - specifically those dried varieties. It is also not always a pie as you can bake it without the pastry although it is rare. There are also cooked cheesecakes and ones prepared cold, which would be difficult to classify. Food taxonomy is difficult like that - people just go around mixing thing up and do not think about proper naming.

On that note: if open-faced sandwiches were not sandwiches, how would you name them? I cannot figure out what other word to use to be honest, so I am curious.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Pies are cakes.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticUnhlpfl View Post
    Oh definitely.

Though with Shive at the helm it's even odds whether it lands with Grace, it fails but Grace gives in anyway for a totally unrelated reason (see: Susan meeting Diane), or it fails and plenty more hijinks are required.

Anyone recall how this went in the game?
    In the game, you don't fight Reaver. He sends you on an errand he's too lazy to do, himself, and then he joins you once you return.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Well that's a bit extreme a reaction. Whatever it is.
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #726
    Colossus in the Playground

Yin-Yang face...unlike the (from what people here and in the comic have said) cheerfully sociopathic Reaver, Grace Celebrity is apparently literally at war with herself.

7. - Top - End - #727

Yeah, I'm gonna assume that Game Grace wasn't speaking metaphorically when she said there were two squirrels in her.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Pixie in the Playground

Well I certainly didn't call that! Part of why I like this comic so much. Shive has a real knack for throwing curveballs that are just foreshadowed enough to not come from complete nowhere.

EDIT: Actually, I wonder if the reason he's been playing coy with how much of this is cannon is so he can explore the Luspuko (or however it was spelled) stuff. Anyone recall if it's come up other than from the nose beep girl or in Grace's dream that one time?
    Last edited by CrypticUnhlpfl; 2020-11-20 at 01:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I certainly didn't call that! Part of why I like this comic so much. Shive has a real knack for throwing curveballs that are just foreshadowed enough to not come from complete nowhere.
    I can't tell if he's got everything all planned out years in advance or if he's just really good at improvisational writing. Either way, I guess it doesn't much matter.

10. - Top - End - #730

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I can't tell if he's got everything all planned out years in advance or if he's just really good at improvisational writing. Either way, I guess it doesn't much matter.
    I figure it's some of collumn a, some of the column be, and a little bit of suddenly getting ideas he thinks are cool.

Remember: The TF gun was just randomly introduced with a "hey,, you know that transformation gun you've got int eh basement" with the only foreshadowing being that Sarah assumed that Tedd did something to give Grace squirrel powers.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, that is my take on it, too. Despite this comic having been going for well over a decade (amost two?) at this point, it's remarkably low on retcons. Even then, most of them are behind the scenes (e.g. Elliot's super mode thing). Rather impressive, that.

Considering the stuff he's pulled out of the deep past, I wouldn't be surprised if he really does plan to cover Lord Tedd at some point in the future. Especially with the nose beep girl having been brought up several times by the characters of late.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

Long term planning might be one thing, but my understanding (wild educated guess from the commentaries?) is that Dan is first and foremost really good at keeping his characters in character or in a sense thinking as his characters would think. In a lot of scenes he commented that he did not expect this or that dialog and just from putting the characters on the scene everything came naturally. I will not resort to archive binging to find some particular examples as there might be a good day to die, but it is not this one.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't think "cloud shapes" work well for fur, it makes the "good squirrel" look blobby rather than fuzzy. I'd pet the bad squirrel. The good squirrel I'd plunge a spoon in it because it looks covered in whipped cream.
    https://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/parable-186
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #734
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, I'm with Susan on this one. This seems... odd and moderately disturbing for a character based on Grace. Susan barely prodded her and the poor girl is now literally tearing herself apart. It's like this is the inverse of the happy-go-lucky facade over repressed trauma that Jerry was talking about way back in Hammerchlorians.

At this point I have no idea how much of this is actually supposed to be significant.

15. - Top - End - #735

Significant to understanding the personality of main-world Grace? I suspect very little. It probably has a lot more to do with (as Susan put it) Grace-gamer-grievances, in this case specifically involving Reaver.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, I'm with Susan on this one. This seems... odd and moderately disturbing for a character based on Grace. Susan barely prodded her and the poor girl is now literally tearing herself apart. It's like this is the inverse of the happy-go-lucky facade over repressed trauma that Jerry was talking about way back in Hammerchlorians.

At this point I have no idea how much of this is actually supposed to be significant.
    I've been wondering if Susan is also Grace in this. Since Grace was supposed to be the central character in the spell Jay thought she had cast. But if it isn't a shared dream then Grace's mind is running all of the characters that aren't Jay so she doesn't have to play herself and the conflicted pirate Grace represents her fear of being out of control while her Susan self is playing a similar role to the one in Elliot's dream where she offered introspection and good advice. It might also be a result of Pandora having left some safeguards on Grace's dreams that Jay has tripped.

Ramble aside I think Grace is getting a dream logic look at a version of herself she's afraid of being and 'Susan' is her logical hero archetype for confronting why it is just a fear.

17. - Top - End - #737

I don't think Susan is Grace in any way there.

Grace is the Reaver equivalent because whatever Jay did made Grace the most important character--not the protagonist.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

Grace is the Reaver equivalent because whatever Jay did made Grace the most important character--not the protagonist.
    I mean, in the original game, Reaver is not particularly "important," at least, not anymore than the other two heroes.

19. - Top - End - #739

I mean, in the original game, Reaver is not particularly "important," at least, not any more than the other two heroes.
    Dan seems to feel like he is, overall, treated as being more important than the PCs in the game franchise.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Dan seems to feel like he is, overall, treated as being more important than the PCs in the game franchise.
    I mean, he comes back in the sequels. I've only ever played Fable 3 but Reaver is there, serving as the representative of the Mean Choice every decision time. His iconography is everywhere. Faceless Heroes come and go, but Reaver is still here, still leaving an impression on the world.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

21. - Top - End - #741

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Yes, this*. You can disagree with Grace on the subject (I've never played Fable so I have no opinion either way), but it doesn't make any sense to act like the belief wasn't stated.

*Mostly this. You could also believe that Dan is giving one of his characters a perspective he doesn't share; that would strike me as unlikely in this instance but it would also strike me as unimportant: Susan stated Grace having complained that Reaver is treated as "more important than the protagonist" and Jay's eyes bugged out as she got the answer to her earlier question, and it ill behooves us here in the discussion thread to ignore that answer and act as though the question was still a big mystery likely to be explained by Susan and Grace having merged somehow.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

That's based on what the characters think is happening going by the information they have.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess Diane is specifically into tall girls.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

Who could blame her?
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ettin in the Playground

The last panel there really suffers from the lack of tone. I can visualize it as a scene, but it feels flat on the page to just have the line repeated three times.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    The last panel there really suffers from the lack of tone. I can visualize it as a scene, but it feels flat on the page to just have the line repeated three times.
    Diane could have had some sort of italicised emphasis or something similar to show that she is stressing the phrase.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Diane could have had some sort of italicised emphasis or something similar to show that she is stressing the phrase.
    The difficulty is that Diane saying it in a completely flat tone actually works. Maybe a strategic pause here and there would be warranted. This is the limitation of the medium as it is not that easy to convey subtle details of speech.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    The difficulty is that Diane saying it in a completely flat tone actually works. Maybe a strategic pause here and there would be warranted. This is the limitation of the medium as it is not that easy to convey subtle details of speech.
    Fair. I was more thinking something that stresses the incredulity that Diane was expressing. Italics is how I often do it, so that's my default.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Two of those chopsticks could plausibly be in holes made previously to fasten hinges, but what about the other two?

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Two of those chopsticks could plausibly be in holes made previously to fasten hinges, but what about the other two?
    Either there will be drilling involved, or those doors are prepared for being mounted from both sides. Considering that they have a mirror on one side, it is not unlikely.